Ut San Antonio Early Accept Progr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILUVEZRA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the DEAP program at UTSA? I am a non-trad really interested in this program? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

ILUVEZRA said:
Does anyone have any info on the DEAP program at UTSA? I am a non-trad really interested in this program? :confused:
The DEAP is an excellent program for those just begining their college education and know for sure that dentistry is the career for them. Generally, you must register for the program before completing 30 credit hours (usually freshmen or early sophomore). The contact at UTHSCSA is Dr. D. Denee Thomas, Ph.D., however, a good first step would be to go to the Health Professions Office (Dr. Clyde Phelix and staff) in the BS Building at UTSA. An interview is required before being accepted into the program. You must maintain a certain g.p.a (I think 3.4?) for each semester attempted, and score at least an 18AA on the DAT. The curriculum can be pretty intense (~18 credit hours/semester and fulltime summers), but, can shave one year off undergrad and secure your spot in d.school without having to go through the nerve-racking application process. Hope this helps you a little.
Escarsega

Thanks..the information does help. As I said, I am a not-traditional student making a career change at 41. I went back to school last semester part time and am quiting my full time job to finish up pre-reqs full time this fall. I have 4.0gpa. I definately know Dentistry is the field for me and am very excited about the possibility of securing a place at UTSA. I am also a type A..I need a plan and a focus. Thanks again.

Escarsega said:
The DEAP is an excellent program for those just begining their college education and know for sure that dentistry is the career for them. Generally, you must register for the program before completing 30 credit hours (usually freshmen or early sophomore). The contact at UTHSCSA is Dr. D. Denee Thomas, Ph.D., however, a good first step would be to go to the Health Professions Office (Dr. Clyde Phelix and staff) in the BS Building at UTSA. An interview is required before being accepted into the program. You must maintain a certain g.p.a (I think 3.4?) for each semester attempted, and score at least an 18AA on the DAT. The curriculum can be pretty intense (~18 credit hours/semester and fulltime summers), but, can shave one year off undergrad and secure your spot in d.school without having to go through the nerve-racking application process. Hope this helps you a little.
Escarsega