UT vs UW vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BH07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am fairly new to this thread but I wanted to ask this question.For Fall 2010 I am applying to University of Texas, University of Washington, and University of Southern California. All have pros and cons in my opinion but I want to work in Southern California and they say you should go to USC (I want to work in retail). But others say the name brand of UT and UW is good enough that if I work hard and be active in pharmacy activities, internships, I can land a job in Southern CA. The problem is that I may not be admitted to USC and even then I cannot afford it (240K, dont qualify for financial aid). Can anybody give any insight to this. Also can anybody give me the pros and cons of each school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am fairly new to this thread but I wanted to ask this question.For Fall 2010 I am applying to University of Texas, University of Washington, and University of Southern California. All have pros and cons in my opinion but I want to work in Southern California and they say you should go to USC (I want to work in retail). But others say the name brand of UT and UW is good enough that if I work hard and be active in pharmacy activities, internships, I can land a job in Southern CA. The problem is that I may not be admitted to USC and even then I cannot afford it (240K, dont qualify for financial aid). Can anybody give any insight to this. Also can anybody give me the pros and cons of each school.

First, if you're not a Texas resident, it will almost be impossible to get accepted into UT. UW also prefers Washington state residents although easier to get accepted if you are out of state. Also, if you are sure you want to do retail, it won't matter where you go to. You can go to Central Valley College of Pharmacy and still get a job in retail.

Hey boltdude, thanks for the reply. I am aware that the public schools have state legislature that says they can only take in a certain number of students, but I talked to both admissions directors at UT and UW and they said that state residency is not that much of a factor if you have a good GPA and good PCAT scores. they also said that a admission decision has never come down to a student being rejected due to a being an out of state student. Also, since you said that it wont matter where I go for retail can I still get a job in Southern CA with a no name college or are my chances better by going to USC Pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad :)
First, if you're not a Texas resident, it will almost be impossible to get accepted into UT. UW also prefers Washington state residents although easier to get accepted if you are out of state. Also, if you are sure you want to do retail, it won't matter where you go to. You can go to Central Valley College of Pharmacy and still get a job in retail.

agree with RaneyNi there. I'm out of state and just got accepted at UT on my first try there. I did have the mindset going in that "they don't accept many out of staters, so I probably won't get in," but I applied anyway since it was my top choice. Like he said, they don't accept many out of staters b/c not many apply. I brought this issue up during my interview, asking if it would adversely affect my chance of admission, and my interviewers said the same thing about nonresidents: small number accepted b/c small number apply.

Hey By3Times1Minus1, congrats on your admission to UT. Not sure if you can answer this but do you know if going to UT helps in landing a job in Cali or at least there is some networking going. I heard UT is good for networking.

Hey By3Times1Minus1, congrats on your admission to UT. Not sure if you can answer this but do you know if going to UT helps in landing a job in Cali or at least there is some networking going. I heard UT is good for networking.

No, sorry. I quit looking at anything to do with Cali because of the high cost of living and tuition there. It would be a great place to live if you can afford it. I don't know anything about landing a job there though. I have heard that they have a licensing exam separate from the NAPLEX, though (this is just hearsay, never researched it myself). That may be why it's harder to land a job. Maybe other schools don't prepare you as well for the Cali version of the NAPLEX or something. Good luck to you.

I heard Cali has some MPJE test of its own that you cant reciprocate unlike other states (meaning Washington license transfers to Nevada license without testing again). I think 5 years ago the Cali MPJE was tough for out of state ppl but now i heard its like a 90% chance of passing it, California Board of Pharmacy has the statistics online i believe. Does anybody if going out of state really affect my chances to work in Southern CA retail even with good grades/recommendations?