This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dru6src00

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to compare these two great schools but would really like the community's input for the pros and cons/ experiences from each college. I am an out of state applicant to both schools. It would be my first time at both locations. My goal is to get into an inpatient residency and possibly apply to do a PGY2 Oncology or other specially.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been trying to compare these two great schools but would really like the community's input for the pros and cons/ experiences from each college. I am an out of state applicant to both schools. It would be my first time at both locations. My goal is to get into an inpatient residency and possibly apply to do a PGY2 Oncology or other specially.

Thank you!
Can you get residency and therefore in-state tuition after P1 in Washington? Because you, practically, can't in Texas. I posted the policy and links to the UT website concerning the exact things you would have to do in order to be reclassified as a resident in Texas after P1 in the "UNC vs UT Austin" thread, and it's not easy. Just search for it and read it.

If I were you, it would depend entirely on whether or not you're able to get residency in Washington after P1 and here's why...

Sum of tuition and mandatory fees as non-resident for P1-P4:

UW - $202,104
UT - $192,460 (this does NOT include whatever increase in tuition will be implemented starting fall 2018)

Sum of tuition and mandatory fees as non-resident for P1 and resident as P2-P4:

UW - $142,155

That is a significant difference.

NOTE: none of these numbers include living expenses, books, etc., they are exclusively tuition and mandatory fees (the 2017-2018 numbers).

Also, and even more IMPORTANTLY: these numbers do not account for the interest that you'll be accruing while in school, every single semester, year after year with unsubsidized loans.

In today's pharmacy world the most common advice you're going to get is thrift. Which means, in all honesty, going out of state anywhere is not ideal. Even though it might seem radical, the idea of taking a gap year to just move where you want to attend pharmacy school, and working to establish residency, in order to save potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars might be worth considering. For instance, even with the tuition increase we're getting at UT starting this fall, the total sum of tuition and fees for all four years for in-state is ~$84,520. So, being a TX resident is ~$108,000 less loan principal for tuition (again, not to mention how much less the interest accrued while in school would be).

Sent from my SM-G928T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Can you get residency and therefore in-state tuition after P1 in Washington? Because you, practically, can't in Texas. I posted the policy and links to the UT website concerning the exact things you would have to do in order to be reclassified as a resident in Texas after P1 in the "UNC vs UT Austin" thread, and it's not easy. Just search for it and read it.

If I were you, it would depend entirely on whether or not you're able to get residency in Washington after P1 and here's why...

UW - $202,104
UT - $192,460 (this does NOT include whatever increase in tuition will be implemented starting fall 2018)

UW - $142,155

NOTE: none of these numbers include living expenses, books, etc., they are exclusively tuition and mandatory fees (the 2017-2018 numbers).

Also, and even more IMPORTANTLY: these numbers do not account for the interest that you'll be accruing while in school, every single semester, year after year with unsubsidized loans.

In today's pharmacy world the most common advice you're going to get is thrift. Which means, in all honesty, going out of state anywhere is not ideal. Even though it might seem radical, the idea of taking a gap year to just move where you want to attend pharmacy school, and working to establish residency, in order to save potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars might be worth considering. For instance, even with the tuition increase we're getting at UT starting this fall, the total sum of tuition and fees for all four years for in-state is ~$84,520. So, being a TX resident is ~$108,000 less loan principal for tuition (again, not to mention how much less the interest accrued while in school would be).

Thank

UW - $202,104

UW - $142,155

thank you so much for your input and it's definitely something to consider.