UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is definately hot outside, hot enough to not want to walk to and from fish village daily in the construction clouds of dust.

Okay, so I have decided what we now need to make our mission is to find someone who is commuting in a big car (soccer mom van preferably so we can all fit in), get them to pick us villagers & students at the apts nearby up at a designated area every morning, drop us off in front of Levin, then they can go park and walk back. Someone out there has to have a kind and caring heart, you know the type... wanting to help people. Isn't that why we went into medicine anyway... to help people? Alright... who's with me???

Members don't see this ad :)
justin334 said:
I nominate you.

Motion seconded! Meeting adjourned! Have fun cleaning the cheerios out of your minivan!

hey guys, i just became a member of the accepted class for UTMB club today. Congrats to all of you and see you there in about a month. Living in the SF area of CA so i need to fly out there, find a spot to live, and pack up all my crap and move it.

It is wierd finally getting in and moving back to texas, have not lived there for 11 years. grew up in austin and D/FW area. I am sure i will like galveston.... studying on the beach, fishing, and enjoying the warm water, sure beats the pacific(a chilling 49 degrees)

Well, see you all soon!!!!! :D

I would offer to shuttle the Fish Villagers, but I don't think I could fit 10 people on the back of my moped!!

chiefhotmango said:
I would offer to shuttle the Fish Villagers, but I don't think I could fit 10 people on the back of my moped!!

That would be so styling! We could all pose on there, like acrobats! :)

The moped thing might work if we find another sponsor or two. When I was in Cambodia we squeezed four people on one! So, I figure another one or two bikes may be enough for all of us...

fotolilith said:
That would be so styling! We could all pose on there, like acrobats! :)

World famous medical school moped riding acrobats... only five dollars. I'll be collecting funds over there.

YAY! Moped acrobatics! I'm in. And the bright side is, if any one of the dozen or so people piled on falls off and gets hurt, we will be near the hospital anyway so this plan is definately a good one.

This is off the subject, but I heard a rumor from someone that said that all UT schools provide their students with a free version of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). I don't think it's true, that would be outrageously expensive for the school. But can anyone confirm or deny if this is the case at UTMB???

i am not sure if that is the case but i have a a copy of microsoft office you can install onto your computer. free of charge!!

NatrlRx123 said:
YAY! Moped acrobatics! I'm in. And the bright side is, if any one of the dozen or so people piled on falls off and gets hurt, we will be near the hospital anyway so this plan is definately a good one.

This is off the subject, but I heard a rumor from someone that said that all UT schools provide their students with a free version of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). I don't think it's true, that would be outrageously expensive for the school. But can anyone confirm or deny if this is the case at UTMB???

NatrlRx123 said:

You know, it's amazing how many times in the last month I have heard the phrase "We will be near a hospital anyway" after a plan is hatched.

As for MS Office, I dunno about free, but UT Austin students got it for ~$5/ cd (but I have not heard of that at UTMB yet). Still, you could check computer company websites for student discounts.

drsungoddess said:
i am not sure if that is the case but i have a a copy of microsoft office you can install onto your computer. free of charge!!

You are my new best friend! Do you have a moped too? :p Just kidding. Unless of course you have one...

Members don't see this ad :)
NatrlRx123 said:
You are my new best friend! Do you have a moped too? :p Just kidding. Unless of course you have one...

I used to have a moped...but it got stolen :(

hey SCUBAsteve, do you know if there is any diving in Galveston? I looked online but did not find much. I'm a diver from monterey, CA. Maybe we can dive sometime if we are not too busy with classes, exams, and studing.

no moped sorry, but i have an SUV that can fit 4 more people. Maybe we could carpool, depending on where i decide to live. Going to check out places next week, any recomendations?

NatrlRx123 said:

drsungoddess said:
no moped sorry, but i have an SUV that can fit 4 more people. Maybe we could carpool, depending on where i decide to live. Going to check out places next week, any recomendations?

Hmm.... an SUV... carpooling... opportunity for a free ride... Yes I have some suggestions for where you should live... Fish Village. :) Let me know if you need to know where you should take us all out to eat too, I am sure I could think of a few places...

Honestly though, I am looking at the UTMB owned apartments on Ferry Road, I hear they are pretty small as far as square footage, but all utilities paid. $600 for two bed/ one bath.

I just put a deposit down on an apartment on 10th St. about 4 blocks from Levin Hall. I would suggest looking in the newspaper for ads for apartments near campus. Check www.galvestondailynews.com

drsungoddess said:
hey SCUBAsteve, do you know if there is any diving in Galveston? I looked online but did not find much. I'm a diver from monterey, CA. Maybe we can dive sometime if we are not too busy with classes, exams, and studing.

I know there are the Flower Gardens about 100 miles out into the gulf (60+ ft depth)...diving there is about a 2 day trip with around 5-7 dives. There are lots of fish and coral, some sharks, occassional whales in late summer, some rays...interesting stuff. I've never been, but I've heard great things about it. Here is a website about it: http://www.gulf-diving.com/

I've also heard about diving oil rigs and other artificial reefs...these are only 30-50 miles out and available in day trips...10am-6pm. I think about 2 dives. I found one site from Houston: http://www.ultradive.com/

I'm always up for diving though...I haven't been in a while unfortunately...We'll have to ask around at some of the dive shops when we get down there though and find a good place to dive.

I saw a picture of some cyclists on the utmb website under student life...does anyone know anything about that? is there a cycling club?

arierty said:
Let me know if you need to know where you should take us all out to eat too, I am sure I could think of a few places...

It's awesome how so many people at UTMB know good places to eat. Now that I think about it, I should have known that since I spent all of my first interview talking about where the good restaurants are.

It's okay if I eat a bit too much in medical school, I'll be near a hospital...

Is Reverence worth reading?

AQP said:
It's awesome how so many people at UTMB know good places to eat. Now that I think about it, I should have known that since I spent all of my first interview talking about where the good restaurants are.

It's okay if I eat a bit too much in medical school, I'll be near a hospital...

No, I don't really know where any good restaurants are, but I figured I could think of somewhere to go if I was going to be taken out to eat for free :)

drsungoddess said:
Maybe we can dive sometime if we are not too busy with classes, exams, and studing .

:eek:

Are we putting ScubaSteve out to stud now? ;)

justin334 said:
Is Reverence worth reading?

Sure, why not? I read a little of it, got outraged at all the people I know who are NOT reverent to those I care about, and started ranting to people.

...nuthin wrong with that, right? ;)

Seriously, if you've got nothing but first aid/ lippincotts/ netters on your shelves, you're going to be a dreary interviewee come residency time. Mostly I hear the book's good, just a bit repetitious, and decent as a beach read.

Anyone receive the packet we're supposed to receive in July? Just worried that the mail dude put it in the wrong box...Reassurance please! :oops:

UTKB said:
Anyone receive the packet we're supposed to receive in July? Just worried that the mail dude put it in the wrong box...Reassurance please! :oops:

I haven't received a July packet yet...or a June one for that matter...What was the last packet sent out?

ScubaSteve2 said:
I haven't received a July packet yet...or a June one for that matter...What was the last packet sent out?

The June one is postmarked May 27...maybe you should call the admissions office?

Anyone receive a July packet?

UTKB said:

Geez you freak out so much :p

Anybody sign up for HHCT (bilingual POM group)?

i just found out about it the other day cause i got off the waitlist. I sent my application in, but the lady said that they already had picked out most of the people, so i probibly wont get in. It sounds like a really cool program though. I had already planned to do the spanish immersion program in the summer, which is why i was very interested in the program. But if we do not get in, there is a spanish club i think that would provide weekly lessons.

H2doc said:
Anybody sign up for HHCT (bilingual POM group)?

Yeah...a month in Costa Rica might be nice

I just got back from a week in Costa Rica, it was so nice. I got to see toucans, parrots, two-toed sloth, monkeys, jaguar, and an erupting volcano. By far one of the best trips I have taken.

H2doc said:
Yeah...a month in Costa Rica might be nice

drsungoddess said:
I just got back from a week in Costa Rica, it was so nice. I got to see toucans, parrots, two-toed sloth, monkeys, jaguar, and an erupting volcano. By far one of the best trips I have taken.

Ah! Don't make me pain for the Caribbean again! :oops: I've heard Costa Rica is gorgeous & hope to go there some day...after I visit my favorite country, Belize, again. Man, I'd sign up for any trip where I could "immerse" myself in the white sand beaches, jungle spas, Mayan ruins, etc again. *sigh*

I was contemplating going on a cruise this summer, but that's the conundrum of living in Galveston... we already *have* a beach where I can park my butt.

did they announce who was picked for the HHCT Spanish program? Like if you were picked have they told you already? I applied and was hoping to do it, but I haven't heard anything.

arierty said:
did they announce who was picked for the HHCT Spanish program? Like if you were picked have they told you already? I applied and was hoping to do it, but I haven't heard anything.

They told me a couple weeks ago that they were going to conduct phone interviews. I was out of the country for the past week, so I decided to call to make sure I didn't miss mine. They later left me a phone message that they had already done a few...and "congratulations," I was selected. I'm a little confused about that process, but give Ms. Trainer a call @ (409) 772-0637

congrats on being accepted to to POM program. Maybe you can do the immersion program in Belize, thats where i would like to go. Hopefully squeeze in a couple of dives while i am there.

H2doc said:
They told me a couple weeks ago that they were going to conduct phone interviews. I was out of the country for the past week, so I decided to call to make sure I didn't miss mine. They later left me a phone message that they had already done a few...and "congratulations," I was selected. I'm a little confused about that process, but give Ms. Trainer a call @ (409) 772-0637

All this talk of tropical places makes me wish I would've applied for this program...too bad I didn't get that stupid information packet! oh well. :cool:

I just checked the UTMB med student academic calender website and they have posted our class schedule for the first module (Gross Anatomy & Radiology). Looks too good to be true... Mondays 8-2, Tuesday through Thursday 9-2, Fridays 8-11. Does offer a lot of free time for study. It doesn't have the POM module on there like last years class had though, which would extend the schedule until 5 everyday. Anyone know if they add the POM to the schedule later???

Here's a link if you're curious...
http://medtest.utmb.edu:85/imcy1/d16/08/2005?display=M&style=B&positioning=S

haha...so I was browsing through the GAR schedule and came across this:
Friday, September 23, 2005
9:00a-11:00a
GAR Mid-Term Written Exam
Tropical Dress Day
Levin Hall Full

Don't forget the tropical dress code on test day!

Hmm...on the day we have our first mid-term exam, it says "Tropical Dress Day." Is that supposed to help cheer us up or lighten the mood or something?

*edit* lol...guess Steve and I had the same idea. :p

you'll have more time than in college at time it may seem because you won't have projects, papers, or lab reports to do. the schedule allows you to work out everyday, play at the beach on weekends, and just relax. don't get me wrong -- studying for the first test royally sucks because everyone is scared, but you'll be thankful for the relaxed half-day schedule. as for POM, it's one day out of the week from 1-4 usually, depending if your facilitator wants to adjust the time slightly. usually POM doesn't run the entire 3 hour block though. like what all the older med students have said, i will pass on their advice: enjoy and play all you want for the first two modules cuz they won't be as bad as the following two.

as for tropical dress day, it fitting that the profs for GAR have themed test days. there's usually a Beta Luau party afterward also. the GAR profs are good... drs. miller and collins and the supporting cast.

Have they sent out a list of books and supplies that we need to purchase yet? I hope I haven't missed it.

Barca said:
as for tropical dress day, it fitting that the profs for GAR have themed test days. there's usually a Beta Luau party afterward also. the GAR profs are good... drs. miller and collins and the supporting cast.

Haha, yeah, the GAR profs are awesome! During Prematric they taught us such useful information like "The Gluteus Maximus is a lateral rotator of the eye."

Don't think too hard about it. :)

You can tell that they a) know their stuff and b) enjoy their job (maybe cuz they can torture us, who knows?)

Just thought y'all might get a kick from the commentary about our "Who's Anatomically Correct" (WAC) oral quiz from Prematric's Gross Anatomy - these were written by the *professors* of the course: (names covered cuz I've already gotten tagged once for that ;) )

G- and J- doing a little deep breathing exercises
before the start of the big game. It is lonely at the top, guys.

The red team (dressed mostly in green and blues - L-R):
N- C-, C- N-, J- M-, J- R-.
Tutor G- M- seems to be asleep - dreaming of her
new husband no doubt.

S- E- and J- O- from the green team ready for action.
I think J- may have had a copy of the quiz questions - possible
scandal and investigation pending.

The audience seemed to be playing along and really getting into
the game. T- checking out Dr. Miller, but who wasn't? :eek:

The red team made a late come back to fall just short of the win.......They did seem to enjoy the bags of honey-nut cheerios as a
consolation prize. And of course those syringe pens were
greatly appreciated by the 2nd place team.

The winning green team (L-R): <snip> The champs also received the syringe pens for participating, but in addition were awarded the much sought after knee key rings.

Individual high scorer J- O- chose the Fleckenstein "Anatomy in
Diagnostic Imaging" atlas required in the Fall for his prize. I can see
there are going to be some long nights coming up for James with this
book. "Take that you losers", was his parting comment.

I was just shocked that the winner picked that book... the rest of us were shouting that he should take the "Anatomically Correct Tie" instead.

So you get a little exposure to the "professionals" we've got leading our first course... I can tell fall is going to be fun (and if not, there's always the PHI CHI "Pimps and Hoes" party after the first test). :)

bump...

900th post!

Status
Not open for further replies.