UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
daysleeprx said:
Just wondering if any future or current UTMBers play tennis at all? I'd like to find someone to hit with when I get down there (something to break the monotony of jogging or running.) I used to play in high school but I just recently started up again...so I'm a bit rusty. But if anyone is interested let me know. Even if you don't play but just want to try I can try to give you a few pointers. :)

wdarli and another student were talking about playing tennis recently, & I think I spied the tennis courts. Hey, if you want to TEACH someone how to play and you have the patience of a stone statue, I'd be willing to pick up some pointers too. :) I think you won't have a problem finding some partners.

Members don't see this ad.

PharmDMD said:
PS: For any of you guys interested in intramurals we have really actives especially in the area of ultimate frisbee lol but there are others of course: http://www.utmb.edu/studentlife/current/intramurals/
:

Hey, can you play ultimate frisbee even when you have no coordination/ athletic skills/ proper aim & have bad knees? Just wonderin'. :)

Geez Harold, are you sure you weren't a preacher in another lifetime? ;) I must belong to the "young'uns" group, cuz I had trouble staying awake reading your sermon :) (in case you are wondering who i am, for the sake of anonymity, I won't say it, but I'll give you a hint: you owe me a lucky pencil)

Anyways, one word about AIM, AMA/TMA, AMSA, SSS, SIGN, SIGHT, and whatever other student organizations on campus. Pretty much being the eager first year that I was, I signed up for all of them. In retrospect, it probably wasn't necessary. Sure, each organization provides free pizza lunch every once in a while, but unless you are really active and passionate about some issues, that's all these organizations end up being: a free lunch while somebody gives you a presentation on subjects that may or may not interest you.

So hold on to your checkbooks. During Orientation, and in your packets, each organization may try to convince you the necessity of that organization to your success in med school... The only organization you should pay attention to is the 2008 Scribes. I can't stress the importance of scribes. I personally know some of my friends who got HP or Honors simply from going to class and studying the lecture powerpoint with the scribes, without paying big money for all of the expensive, and sometimes unnecessary, textbooks. (that isn't to say you won't ever needs textbooks, you do. but be smart and ask around upperclassmen before buying all of them)

Members don't see this ad :)
medstudent123 said:
Geez Harold, are you sure you weren't a preacher in another lifetime? ;) I must belong to the "young'uns" group, cuz I had trouble staying awake reading your sermon :) (in case you are wondering who i am, for the sake of anonymity, I won't say it, but I'll give you a hint: you owe me a lucky pencil)

Anyways, one word about AIM, AMA/TMA, AMSA, SSS, SIGN, SIGHT, and whatever other student organizations on campus. Pretty much being the eager first year that I was, I signed up for all of them. In retrospect, it probably wasn't necessary. Sure, each organization provides free pizza lunch every once in a while, but unless you are really active and passionate about some issues, that's all these organizations end up being: a free lunch while somebody gives you a presentation on subjects that may or may not interest you.

So hold on to your checkbooks. During Orientation, and in your packets, each organization may try to convince you the necessity of that organization to your success in med school... The only organization you should pay attention to is the 2008 Scribes. I can't stress the importance of scribes. I personally know some of my friends who got HP or Honors simply from going to class and studying the lecture powerpoint with the scribes, without paying big money for all of the expensive, and sometimes unnecessary, textbooks. (that isn't to say you won't ever needs textbooks, you do. but be smart and ask around upperclassmen before buying all of them)

Lol, Hey Derrick,

I may have your lucky pencil today, but mark my word Derrick, I will have your lucky scalpel one day too, as well..*sinister laugh*. :smuggrin: How's it going man! Hope your summer is well. Yeah, yeah...I know I can get into "evangelist" mode every now and then...Tell me Derrick, do you accept our Lord as your personal savior? lol...Hope research world isn't dragging you down too much...anyways, everyone else reading this pseudo-personal post, I second my colleagues' admonition to buy the Class of '08 scribes. While I personally, hadn't purchased it last year, I certainly regreted the choice when a friend showed me one and I was blown away by the orderliness, the detail, the breathtaking beauty; it was if I was looking at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and heavenly voices sung as I read the notes, so skilfully written that New York Times Best Seller List wanted to honor the complete set but the humble and brilliant reviewers, which Derrick is one of, politely declined, wishing to maintain the scribe service's integrity, a tribute to the noble profession its members sustain. :D However, don't dismiss the opportunity of a lifetime in joining Alliance in Internal Medicine (AIM), where we promote the transition of enthusiastic, hardworking medical students into skilled, succesful, and compassionate physicians. :cool:

fotolilith said:
Hey, can you play ultimate frisbee even when you have no coordination/ athletic skills/ proper aim & have bad knees? Just wonderin'. :)

Where there's a will, there's a Viet Pham. He's one of the biggest advocates for ULTIMATE FRISBEE in our class, and arguably, the entire campus. Nicest guy you'll meet, not to mention a talented sketch artist, whose works could make Netter weep, if the author of our Gross Atlas were still alive. You'll run into him inevitably in the first few weeks! :thumbup:

Hey guys,

The following is a modfied display of the hilarity and comraderie that ensues, even in the midst of preparing for our NHB Finals (it was posted on our class discussion board by one of many in our class who ascribe to the Patch Adams philosphy)

Class of 2009, meet the president of your official fan club. A reminder that in your future, you will touch many in ways that only a few may appreciate.:

(Please don't view if you lack a sense of humor, albeit crude :D )
http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~pgrabow1/kolezka.swf?name=UTMB 09

arierty said:
Daysleeprx I would love to have some people to play tennis with once or twice a week. I am not any good, I've never had formal training, but I play with my sibs and some friends about once a week during the summer. I will definitely need the pointers.

:) :thumbup:

I wanted to know if there are any banks walking distance from the school, or one that is not too far either. I heard, there is moody national bank, but is there any other once. Also, what ATM's are close by.

Thanks

Naijagirl said:
I wanted to know if there are any banks walking distance from the school, or one that is not too far either. I heard, there is moody national bank, but is there any other once. Also, what ATM's are close by.

Thanks
the University Fed Credit Union is on Post Office, right near Arlan's market. There's an ATM in John Sealy down the hall from the gift shop and Starbucks, and probably several located throughout campus.

Current students: does the scribe council mail us our 2008 scribes or will we pick them up at orientation or whatever? I'm assuming we pick them up...??

Naijagirl said:

Thanks

UTMB ATM machines: http://www.utmbhealthcare.org/CampusMap/ATM.asp

There is also a Moody Bank on 6th/ University, & University Fed Credit Union behind that.

UTKB said:
Current students: does the scribe council mail us our 2008 scribes or will we pick them up at orientation or whatever? I'm assuming we pick them up...??

After we've received your money, sometime during orientation week, you will be told a location and a time. you will each be lead one at a time, to enter a room blind-folded, spun around in a chair, and a randomly selected exam question from old tests will be read to you. you shall have 15 seconds to answer the question. (it'll be our little way of acclimating you to the horror that is 'med school')

If you answer correctly, you will be deemed worthy to lay your hands upon the scribes. The only thing going for you is med school exams are all multiple choice questions. 1 in 4 or 5 chance of getting it right.

Just kidding. But seriously, we'll make announcement during orientation week to let you know what's going on.

medstudent123 said:
After we've received your money, sometime during orientation week, you will be told a location and a time...

:)
medstudent123 said:
Just kidding. But seriously, we'll make announcement during orientation week to let you know what's going on.

:( Awww man! That first part sounded like fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
i played tennis in high school -- but i'm not with the prematric program, so you'd have to wait. i used to rule, but that was ages ago.

Okay,

I feel like I am getting down to the wire here. The wedding is over and it is time to get serious about moving... soo what do I do? How do I decide what side of town to live on? How do I find a place from this far away. I've never lived on my own, neither has my husband. How many square feet do we need? Can we get by with one bedroom? I think I'll try and only sign a six months lease at first just in case it's horrible. Closer is probablly better but I know feeling safe is my top priority. So, suggestions from everyone would be great. We've browsed places on the net, but don't exactly know how to choose between all of them. Also, when I pack should I plan on bringing EVERYTHING I own? Not so many winter clothes? What undergrad textbooks would really be helpful?

Thanks!!

longwave10 said:
i played tennis in high school -- but i'm not with the prematric program, so you'd have to wait. i used to rule, but that was ages ago.

I'm not in prematric either...haha. Just looking for a hitting partner. We should get something going once we're all down there.

sounds good.

for now i have another question, has anyone else who has gone to ut only been given their immunization form? they refused to fill the utmb one out and was wondering how you got around that. most of my recent immunizations were done at ut, so i guess i could always have them send to my primary doctor and see if they will fill utmb's form out.

My family doctor's office wanted to charge me $20 to fill out the form by hand. ><

longwave10 said:
sounds good.

for now i have another question, has anyone else who has gone to ut only been given their immunization form? they refused to fill the utmb one out and was wondering how you got around that. most of my recent immunizations were done at ut, so i guess i could always have them send to my primary doctor and see if they will fill utmb's form out.

I faxed a request for my immunizations to the UT Health Records office. You can look for it/ google the page, because they have something you print out.

Then indicate on the form that you want your records faxed to UTMB Student Wellness office (If there's no info in your packet about that, look it up online).

UTMB's health records office is willing to transfer the information from UT Austin's (or any school's) fax to that form they sent us, so you do *not* need to have your school fill the form out.

Hope that helps (basically, just get your info faxed to UTMB and they will handle it).

arierty said:
Okay,

I feel like I am getting down to the wire here. The wedding is over and it is time to get serious about moving... soo what do I do? How do I decide what side of town to live on? How do I find a place from this far away. I've never lived on my own, neither has my husband. How many square feet do we need? Can we get by with one bedroom? I think I'll try and only sign a six months lease at first just in case it's horrible. Closer is probablly better but I know feeling safe is my top priority. So, suggestions from everyone would be great. We've browsed places on the net, but don't exactly know how to choose between all of them. Also, when I pack should I plan on bringing EVERYTHING I own? Not so many winter clothes? What undergrad textbooks would really be helpful?

Thanks!!

A lot of married/ involved people are either living between Galveston and Houston (where their partners get jobs, it seems), living on the west end of town (where you can find larger and arguably safer apartments, & it's closer to getting off the island to see your significant other), or living closer to campus at places like Carleton Courtyard or Port au Prince Condos. So, basically they live all over the island.

Some people report "feeling safer" on the west end (about a 15-30 min drive to class), but I know plenty of people who have had no problems with crime while living near campus.

So, first you are going to have to assess what you want (bigger/ newer apartments on the west end, but you have to commute and find parking...vs smaller/ older east side apartments, but there are sketchier people who just seem to like walking up and down those streets... but you can sleep in and not worry about parking). Afterwards, you should visit Galveston and check out the individual complexes/ living arrangements.

And never forget to make safe decisions no matter where you live (like don't leave things out on your car, lock up your bike, avoid walking at night while unchaperoned, etc).

Hey peeps. Was looking around online, contemplating buying a laptop because my desktop seems to be dying. Curious: is UTMB wired for wireless internet (wired for wireless???:confused: )?

UTKB said:
Hey peeps. Was looking around online, contemplating buying a laptop because my desktop seems to be dying. Curious: is UTMB wired for wireless internet (wired for wireless???:confused: )?

info on how students can access wireless on campus http://www.utmb.edu/wireless/access_utmb_user_m.htm

map of wireless locations: http://www.utmb.edu/wireless/wireless_locations.htm

And shameless plug, the Apple Ibook and Powerbook laptops that I've owned are very reliable/ easy to use/ lightweight/ pretty. And students get amazing discounts.

fotolilith said:
info on how students can access wireless on campus http://www.utmb.edu/wireless/access_utmb_user_m.htm

map of wireless locations: http://www.utmb.edu/wireless/wireless_locations.htm

And shameless plug, the Apple Ibook and Powerbook laptops that I've owned are very reliable/ easy to use/ lightweight/ pretty. And students get amazing discounts.

fotolilith, next time i can find my way around the campus, i'm going to ask you. :)

but yes, UTMB is 'wired for wireless' in almost all the lecture halls, plus the student center and the library.

Thanks for the replies! Foto, thanks for the links. I can't believe I didn't find those poking around the utmb website yet.

UTKB said:
Thanks for the replies! Foto, thanks for the links. I can't believe I didn't find those poking around the utmb website yet.

Noob

medstudent123 said:
fotolilith, next time i can find my way around the campus, i'm going to ask you. :)

but yes, UTMB is 'wired for wireless' in almost all the lecture halls, plus the student center and the library.

I'm gonna be like "Go to that pile of rubble and take a left." ;)

UTKB said:
It's alive!

Now, now, you have to cut the dumb blond some slack. :oops:

Like he can talk... daysleeprx has got some blonde roots. :)

From looking around on the internet Casa Caribe seems pretty good, any opinions. Anybody live there/ have friends who do? How far exactly is it from campus?

Do we get health insurance through UTMB or do I need to arrange that separately?

arierty said:
From looking around on the internet Casa Caribe seems pretty good, any opinions. Anybody live there/ have friends who do? How far exactly is it from campus?

Barca (I think?) posted earlier that he lives there and he likes it a lot. Someone said earlier that it looked a little too "institutionalized" for them from the outside, but I checked it out and the apartments are pretty nice, and VERY roomy. They have two one bedroom floorplans, and I'm pretty certain you and your husband could share the large 1/1 without problems (unless you wanted a second bdroom for like a study or something).

justin334 said:
Do we get health insurance through UTMB or do I need to arrange that separately?

You can ALSO get it outside of school (private companies, parents' insurance (if viable), or through work (if they'll cover you for your limited hours of employment). However, the school has a pretty good deal (student rate obviously, doesn't cover dental though.

http://www.studentresources.com/college/CollegeHome.aspx

Read the policy details and buy the insurance if you so desire. Either way, you will need to obtain health insurance prior to marticulation and maintain it throughout your time at the college.

A PDF File for the policy brochure of MEGALIFE from last year may be found here:

http://www.studentinsurance.net/Public/ClientBrochures/2004_716_1.pdf

If you're interested in Dental. There is student discount offered by CAREINGTON DENTAL (which is the company recommended by the college).

http://www.careington.com/index.aspx

Any other questions regarding this, post and if I can answer it I will :thumbup:

Does anyone know what UTMB's computer hardware requirements are? UTMB's hardware page just has a blank. Also, how do where can we find the discount code to purchase a PC directly thru Dell? Thanks in advance!

casa caribe is pretty nice in the apartments. they're generally really roomy and quite affordable living option that's close to campus. i haven't really had many complaints about living here except taht now we have to pay for water and the fact that they haven't replaced the covered parking that was blown off during a storm back in may. lots of utmb-related people live in the apartment, so the level of shady people is less than in other apartment complexes nearby.

Does anyone know if we will be practicing our first shots/IV's on each other, or if after we practice on the arm models for awhile we then do flu shot clinics instead for practice. I have heard different things done at the different schools, but I am curious as to what we will do at UTMB. Any MS2's that have gone through this... I am curious to know what your thoughts are having experienced this already.

More apartment questions...

Has anyone seen/heard of the UTMB owned Ferry Road Apartments? Is there a reason no one has mentioned them, or shown interest in them? They are pretty small, compared to Casa Caribe...

I actually know some people from prematric who are going to be living there this coming Fall. The apartments seem nice and I think it's a pretty good deal compared to the other aparments close to campus...I'm not sure about the price but I think it's like 575 for a 2-bedroom with all utilities paid for. I'd definately consider checking those apartments out if you get a chance.

Hope this helps*~

arierty said:
More apartment questions...

Has anyone seen/heard of the UTMB owned Ferry Road Apartments? Is there a reason no one has mentioned them, or shown interest in them? They are pretty small, compared to Casa Caribe...

the opportunities for practicing/giving shots come from the community immunity immunization fairs that are held once in the fall and once in the spring. they'll show you the basics of giving practice shots on oranges, and then you can sign up for the fairs. don't worry about not knowing how to give your first shot because a PA or a nurse will be there to watch over us so as not to stab an artery or anything.

Thanks for the response about the shots Barca... let's us relax a little!

Does anyone out there live in fish village??? I recently bought a house there (as opposed to way out in League City where I thought I would be... YAY fish village! :) Commute? What commute?) and was thinking the neighborhood seems too close to UTMB to drive. But it also seems like first year classes are on the other end of campus so it may be far to walk with a backpack full of books as well. Are there bicycle racks on UTMB and if so, do bikes get stolen from them often? I have heard of shuttles from parking lots on the east end as well but I don't know if those lots are in walking distance to fish village or not. Anyone know how other students from this neigborhood generally get to campus?

NatrlRx123 said:
Thanks for the response about the shots Barca... let's us relax a little!

Does anyone out there live in fish village??? I recently bought a house there (as opposed to way out in League City where I thought I would be... YAY fish village! :) Commute? What commute?) and was thinking the neighborhood seems too close to UTMB to drive. But it also seems like first year classes are on the other end of campus so it may be far to walk with a backpack full of books as well. Are there bicycle racks on UTMB and if so, do bikes get stolen from them often? I have heard of shuttles from parking lots on the east end as well but I don't know if those lots are in walking distance to fish village or not. Anyone know how other students from this neigborhood generally get to campus?

It's about a 10-15 minute walk, and there are plenty of bike racks at the rear of Levin Hall (where our first year classes will be held). I would not leave a bike there overnight, but it seems pretty safe (I even see profs locking up there) during the day.

I've had my bike stolen on campus mid-day before. If I were you I wouldn't get anything too nice and definitely get a good lock(mine was locked btw). Biking from fish village to Levin Hall is ideal. Walking is a bit far but not too bad.

[random]

I ran into a guy last night from the class of '96 who's now a computer executive. He said he got tired of 36 hour call and wanted better hours.

[/random]

justin334 said:
I've had my bike stolen on campus mid-day before. If I were you I wouldn't get anything too nice and definitely get a good lock(mine was locked btw). Biking from fish village to Levin Hall is ideal. Walking is a bit far but not too bad.

ack, what kind of lock did you have? Is there any place that seems less struck by bike thieves?

Yeah, walking is gonna be HOT, tho if you got some tunes or flashcards to go over you can get through it. ;)

and all the males rejoice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.