luckirabbit

15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hello everyone! I'm really excited about Galveston. I don't know who will be my fellow classmates, so I thought I post a utmb official thread so that we can all get to know each other. Feel free to also e-mail me at [email protected]

About the Ads

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hey guys,
i will be among your fellow classmates. i plan on going down to galveston this month to look for housing.

Andy Kahn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.andykahnmd.com
Status (Visible)
Below is a post from the "Official UTMB class of 2008" thread. Hope it gives u an idea of a couple of apartments. Congrats to everybody!

----
Congrats everyone. I am a 4th year at UTMB and I am usually on on the Emergency Medicine forum (I find out about where I go in less than 2 weeks so I look forward to feeling the same excitement you guys do now on Match Day).

I just searched for UTMB and found this site. Here's my take on housing as a student in Galveston.

Here's what happened with me and my wife (Amy, who is also a MS4 now). We came here together from Lubbock. She got an apt at Villa Marina and so we split a moving truck and left both of our stuff at her apt. I got my apt 2 doors down from her later but left my stuff in her apt. When I got to school a week before Quest, I walked in Amy's apartment and we were robbed. They took TVs, stereos, microwaves, bikes, other valuable goods, and the kitchen table... THE kitchen table.

I remember early in anatomy when I was studying late one night when I kept smelling something funny. I would check the vent and the stove to make sure it was off. Then there was this loud banging on my door. It was 1am and it was some dude. He yelled that we needed to get out since the apt above me and over one was on fire. Later, I was told it was suspected arson.

In March, Amy's car window was smashed. She had kept her stereo removable face in the glove compartment. However, the theives still bothered to break in and check the glove to steal it.

Still keep in mind we have had classmates who had no problems. Guess we were the unlucky ones. By the way, although this sounds negative, we had a great UTMB experience. We got married after that first year and moved to Friendswood in an apt behind Baybrook Mall. It was okay to commute during 2nd year since classes start at 1pm (except for some POM small groups and other random stuff). The parking garage permit is almost a necessity if you are not going to get there early for hunting at noon. However, I have had the cheap student permit for years 1, 3, and 4.

We moved to Dawn by the Beach for 3rd and 4th year (although we did all of our 1st semester in 4th year away - see www.geocities.com/andykahn/MS4.html). Its been nice here on the West end of the island. It's right next to Wal-mart and only 10-15mins from UTMB.

I would be happy to answer as many questions as possible. I am at the end of my time at UTMB and have lots of good and negatives to share if you are interested. It has been mainly good and feel well prepared for residency.

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hey guys,
i posted this in our pre-allo thread, but i would like to get some more feedback. i will be attending the prematriculation program this summer, and i will be staying in one of the fraternity houses on campus. is there anyone in particular that is the nicest or any that i should avoid? thanks

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
I wanna know where they have the listing too....the website really sux...my god:rolleyes:

I actually called and they told me they dont have it up and that they wont but I was wondering if that is the case or did she just misunderstand my question or mean that it is not up YET!!

luckirabbit

15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2004
Status (Visible)
Me too! I think it would be very nice to be able to talk to current students. I'm sure they will make it available, just a matter of time.

Also, has anyone receive mails concerning housing, financial package, and so forth?

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
yes, i received orientation, housing, immunization info. they are supposed to update my financial aid tomorrow to reflect the scholarship they gave me. call them if you haven't received anything.

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
Yes guys, I received that package too. Do you guys know when we are suppose to send it by...

ALSO A REMINDER TO ALL MS0's.....dont forget to get your official transcript in if you are currently an enrolled senior or grad student for the spring semester by may 21st

Also have you guys already decided on an apartment or looked into it.......cause I still haven't even gone to galveston !! YES YES i know I should.

About the Ads

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by Disenchanted 1
Yes guys, I received that package too. Do you guys know when we are suppose to send it by...

ALSO A REMINDER TO ALL MS0's.....dont forget to get your official transcript in if you are currently an enrolled senior or grad student for the spring semester by may 21st

Also have you guys already decided on an apartment or looked into it.......cause I still haven't even gone to galveston !! YES YES i know I should.

i have somewhat decided on the season's apartments on seawall blvd ($585 all bills paid). but i will be going back to galveston either the end of this month or the beginning of may....if you want to go with me disenchanted just holla!
nikki

kbkaggie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
disenchanted-

i went down last weekend and signed with the Dawn of the Beach on Seawall- its a nice , cute apartment about 10 min from utmb. i know a few girls living there that are first years that really like it and are staying. pm me if you have any questions about it.

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by nykka3
i have somewhat decided on the season's apartments on seawall blvd ($585 all bills paid). but i will be going back to galveston either the end of this month or the beginning of may....if you want to go with me disenchanted just holla!
nikki

Nykka, how is seasons.....as far as proximity to school, safety!?? Thanks nykka :) ....I definitely want to go and look into this whole thing. For now it all depends on my class schedules as I think I have a field trip coming up and well the finals. But I will also notify you when I was going if you wanted to join!?

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by kbkaggie
disenchanted-

i went down last weekend and signed with the Dawn of the Beach on Seawall- its a nice , cute apartment about 10 min from utmb. i know a few girls living there that are first years that really like it and are staying. pm me if you have any questions about it.

Cool KB....I bet its a relief to get this out of your mind. I will definitely pm you about this in the next week or so cause first I need to come up with exactly what I want. For now my criteria is,

1) close to campus (no more than 15 min walk)
2) SAFE!!
3) between 350-450 or max 500
4) 1 bedroom
5) pets allowed

I would appreciate any good suggestions....thanks guys for all the info!!

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Disenchanted 1 said:
Nykka, how is seasons.....as far as proximity to school, safety!?? Thanks nykka :) ....I definitely want to go and look into this whole thing. For now it all depends on my class schedules as I think I have a field trip coming up and well the finals. But I will also notify you when I was going if you wanted to join!?

hey disenchanted no more,
season's seems great for the price and the fact that it looks less like a crack house compared to others. my only complaint is there aren't washer dryer connections in the older units(the $585 ones). i plan on going down within the first two weeks of may if you're interested. there are a few more apts in the vicinity of seasons that i want to check out. have you considered fraternity housing....oh, but i don't think you can have pets. anyway. i also wanted to check out some of the renovated houses close to school.

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Havarti666 said:
Hey all,

I lived in Galveston from 1995-2001 (got my Ph.D. there). I'm now in
medical school, hence my presence on these message boards. I noticed a
thread on Galveston and couldn't resist.

During those "island years" I lived in four apartments, so here are my
recommendations:

Year one: move west of 61st street. If you try to eyeball a place near
campus, either in the historic districts or in the newer complexes east
of campus, you might get screwed (and robbed). Better to live out on
the west end and for a bit, then move closer to school when you have a
better feel for the place. It's small but incredibly nuanced.

Years two-four: Move to a choice spot on the east end.

Started out in The Driftwood Apts. No complaints, except driving down
the Seawall every day.

I lived at the condos at 1726 Broadway for awhile. Those were my
favorite, although we had a bike stolen off our second floor balcony. Then
they put up gates. My car also had its windshield randomly smashed one
night. The cars around me were also vandalized.

Also had over a year at 1111 Market upstairs. I learned the value of
not living in a run down shotgun shack with a deadbeat landlord, despite
the proximity to UTMB.

Lastly I lived in The Residency, a small complex behind The Original
Mexican Cafe. Loved it there, although it's pricey for one person.

The bars: I spent 80% of my free time at Molly's/O'Malley's/OCB (Jeff
O'Malley is the Godfather of drinking on Galveston, which is a feat).
Med students frequent Sonny's, in fact one of the med frats had their
own tap there. The frat parties are CRAZY, by the way.

In conclusion, Galveston is a very surreal place. People throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems. Oh, and do not miss the Walkabout in October. Just bring your spare liver and a hollow leg.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Neil (O'Malley's Stage Door Pub Co-Customer of the year, 2000)

thanks for the info. what year are you?

:)

luckirabbit

15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2004
Status (Visible)
kbkaggie said:
disenchanted-

kbkaggie, I'm still looking for housing as well. Do you have there phone number and address so I can look it up on the net? Also, how much is the rent?

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
Havarti666 said:
Hey all,

I lived in Galveston from 1995-2001 (got my Ph.D. there). I'm now in
medical school, hence my presence on these message boards. I noticed a
thread on Galveston and couldn't resist.

During those "island years" I lived in four apartments, so here are my
recommendations:

Year one: move west of 61st street. If you try to eyeball a place near
campus, either in the historic districts or in the newer complexes east
of campus, you might get screwed (and robbed). Better to live out on
the west end and for a bit, then move closer to school when you have a
better feel for the place. It's small but incredibly nuanced.

Holy cow....are you serious? Ok, this is the second time I am hearing freaky stories about galveston. Now I am starting to wonder. I had a question for you....I am looking into an apartment close to campus. It is on the intersection of 11th and market. HOw is the area there? This is crazy...how prevelant is crime in galveston. From all I've heard it seems like by the end of my 4th year I will either get robbed, vandalized not to mention rape and other stuff......holy cow :eek: :scared:

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
luckirabbit said:
That's the impression I'm getting too! :idea: Maybe we should get a survival guide?

hmmm.....maybe we should sign up for women's self-defense classes. Perhaps, some of the karate moves can do us some good!! :D And if not we can always practice it on fellow classmates that get on our nerves (aka gunners) :rolleyes:

About the Ads

Barca

Can't stop, won't stop
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2004
G-town, TX
Status (Visible)
Then again, all this crime could very well happen anywhere too. How many UTMB peeps live close to campus on 61st St? I was looking close to campus at Casa Caribe, Carelton Courtyard, Tradewinds, etc.

Only 27 more days till graduation!!! Whoohoo! Then again, it'll be sad leaving college. Unlike most others, we'll have another four years of fun (veggin' away in the library, of course)!

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
Havarti666 said:
I hope I haven't freaked anyone out too badly. I wouldn't move to Galveston expecting to have trouble (robbery, vandalism, etc.), but it's not the suburbs. The space limitations, coupled with the way the island has developed, simply make it a very checkered place. Antebellum mansions exist a block from run down shacks. The Strand has family-friendly shopping and tourist attractions, then two blocks down are dive bars where all manner of sketchy things go on. As such, don't get paranoid, just try and be smart. Don't go walking around unfamiliar neighborhoods in the dark. Don't leave your leather jacket and entire CD collection sitting in the back seat of your car. Don't move into a shoddy apartment and leave the box that your new 42-inch plasma TV arrived in sitting on the curb.

There are plenty of families, including UTMB faculty, who live all over the island, many in the East End. My suggestion of moving west of 61st street for your first year is just the most cautious approach. I have known plenty of folks who have lived in the Tradewinds, Casa Caribe, individual east end apartments, etc., who have never had a problem. Then again, some others have had their car radios stolen, or their garages broken into, etc.

As for 11th and Market, my only reservation would be the shape of the place you're looking to rent. Those houses/aparments tend to be old, and can have all manner of problems associated with their age.

Alas, I have to run, but if anyone is interested I can later regale you with humorous tales of island life.

Cheers, and congratulations to everyone who is UTMB-bound.

Thanks havarti for all the advice. I don't know if you have already mentioned this but what year are you in?

God, I am so bad with directions......It took me two hours to figure out what area is exactly west of 61st street. Ugh, I am going to be so screwed as far as finding my way in and out of places from galveston. it took me freaken two years to figure out austin and right about the time that roaming around austin finally clicked for me I have to move to a new city :rolleyes: Haha, During the interview day I got lost while heading there and just spent thirty minutes trying to find my way to UTMB......thinking man I thought my hotel was close to the place...well it turns out it was 5 minutes away but me being the complete bimbo as far as directions go, got lost!! :smuggrin:

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
Barca said:
Then again, all this crime could very well happen anywhere too. How many UTMB peeps live close to campus on 61st St? I was looking close to campus at Casa Caribe, Carelton Courtyard, Tradewinds, etc.

Only 27 more days till graduation!!! Whoohoo! Then again, it'll be sad leaving college. Unlike most others, we'll have another four years of fun (veggin' away in the library, of course)!

Hey Barca,

I guess you and havarti are right as far as crime goes....its just I guess its a little more scary for us girls (I am assuming from what I have read that you guys are well....guys!!) I haven't really lived alone without a roommate and where I live in austin is pretty safe. I honestly haven't even witnessed a single incident of robbery. On the other hand, I talked to about 4 people regarding crime in galveston and ALL mentioned some crime that occured to them or someone they knew. Although most are theft, it still is hard for me as a single girl to not associate that with other more serious issues such as number of sexual assaults, etc. That's why I guess I am freaken out. Plus, when I paid a visit to Galveston during my interview I just didn't get a good impression of the city. I loved UTMB (hence my number 1 choice) but the city itself seemed somewhat ghetto and not well kept. And to make matters worse, I stayed at la quinta inn and the room I got was next to these 3 guys that were tatooed up from top to bottom and beers in their hand and cussing every other word, while spitting down from the second floor while I was carrying my baggage and crap up. God, I would hate to generalize and judge them by their appearance, but I just couldn't help get an impression that the place was not all that safe. :(

On the other hand, I guess I am just over reacting.... :rolleyes:

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hey disenchanted,
i know what you mean about not feeling safe as a woman....i am looking for an apt. 61st st. or further that is on the second floor or higher.

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
nykka3 said:
hey disenchanted,
i know what you mean about not feeling safe as a woman....i am looking for an apt. 61st st. or further that is on the second floor or higher.

Hey nykka,

How's it going girl!? So have you settled on an apartment? How's school and everything else. I know that you were looking into attending pre-mat program so I am assuming you will be heading to UTMB pretty soon. Well, stop by and update me on stuff. For now, I am just busy with work and school (and I have all day off from school and work today) but I seriously have such a hard time sitting my a$$ down and studying. I have such a bad case of senioritis...ugh...anyway, talk to you soon.

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
ok, i hate when these stupid pop up ads come up when i want to reply... this is the price we pay for an updated threads.

anyway... disenchanted i will be calling the season's this week and most likely submit my application....but i will still go back to galv. at the end of april/early may to look around some more. i'll keep you posted.

DazedConfused

15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2004
Status (Visible)
Normally I would highly recommend NOT living on the west end of the island as a med student, but if you are really concerned about the crime, are a girl and will be living alone then maybe the west end would be better until you got a feel for the town and where you want to live. Its not too bad of a drive, but is kinda bad on touristy weekends(spring thru early fall), really bad on holiday/big weekends and sucks if you just have a little time between things or forget something at the house or just want to go home for lunch. Plus if you like to go out at night, its a crappy drive at the end of the night. Everyone else just drives 5-10 blocks on the east end(all the bars are on the east end for the most part) and now for an important note about the Rock:

The town is pretty sketchy, but you get used to it. The thing about G-town is that you will see something every day that will make you do a double-take and think "what the hell was that?" The med students live an insulated life in Galveston, kinda like a town inside of a town. Its actually kinda hard to get any sort of traffic ticket in the area around school, the real police have plenty of other more important things to worry about than what kind of goofing off is happening around campus. There is an inner-city aspect that keeps the galveston cops pretty busy, especially in keeping it out of the news to avoid any hits to the tourism. We have done some of the dumbest stuff so many times that would normally result in spending the night in jail and not have the cops even blink twice. People staggering around drunk after the frat parties in the blocks around campus is a pretty common occurence. Some times the UTMB police give us some crap, but even they are used to it and don't really do anything. We all socialize with each other and not with the rest of Galveston, everyone knows everyone really well even the students from the other schools. If you are social, then you will know pretty much everyone that is associated with UTMB if they are also social. Got sidetracked, sorry about that.

For guys: live in one of the fraternity houses for at least your first year, they are right next to campus, next to the gym and field house and you get to know some people really well. Really cheap, no real bills to worry about and meals are provided. This is really nice the days before a test when you can just be on auto-pilot and not have to really think about whether you have food in the fridge, if this bill is due or not, and you could just walk out your front door to go study or just knock on the door of an upper classman thats taken the test already and can either give you a book that you need or tell you to chill out and not worry so much. Good bonding experience, but its not the normal frat life in undergrad much less b.s. and more normal guys. Maybe stay there for 3rd year since you can just roll out of bed and be in the hospital in 5 minutes.

For girls: First year, you could live in the Phi-Chi house but its kinda turning into a piece of crap. Depends on if they've fixed it up or planning on it. There are a couple complexes east of school that are o.k. I would look down at Port-aux-Prince or some of the other places next to it. There are a bunch of houses with these backyard bungalow-type joints that are great for girls because a lot of times a family lives in the main house and they can kinda look out for you. These are located right around the school for the most part. If you don't live on the west end then make sure you live east of broadway, too much ghetto on the other side of broadway.

Other than that, for at least one year live in one of the old ante-bellum style houses that are split up into apartments or get some friends and rent an entire one yourself. I always wanted to know what its like to live in a house with wooden floors and all the other nuiances of those type of historical houses. They aren't the most efficiently built houses, so your bills will reflect that. Maybe live in one of the lofts downtown. Another cool experience to have had, but parking is horrendous, you have to deal with tourists all the time, shady-ness of living in a downtown area and no backyard or trees. Also think about getting a house with friends in Fish Village, its the neighborhood that surrounds Port-aux-Prince and is about 1/4 mile or so from campus. Kinda cheasy, plain-jane houses but convenient.

luckirabbit

15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2004
Status (Visible)
Good advice! :thumbup: I'm still waiting oblivious with housing. It's a waiting game until next week when things clear up. I hope finals are going well for everyone and good luck with apartment hunting.

I will probably go to Galveston next week. More later

sleepaholic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
okay, i just wrote a REALLY long post, and it disappeared! so this one's gonna be short and to the point. . .
i'm a ms1 at utmb, living on the east end, and love it. the crime here is really not as bad as you might have heard. its worse than most texas towns of this size, but galveston is not like any other texas town. crime is worse, but not a whole lot. i do know people who have had cars broken into, bikes stolen, etc. but most people dont have a problem as long as you dont leave valuables in your car and lock your bike up at night. i would never live on the west end, because i like riding my bike to school. there is nothing on the west end that i would ever need - i do all my studying, schooling, socializing on the east end. all of my friends live here. they all love it. the west end is very inconvenient.
if you are absolutely terrified of the thought of someone breaking your car window, or if transients/homeless people make you really super nervous and scared, then live on the west end. i, however, am not bothered by these things as they are just a part of life. for the record, i am female, smallish, and not very intimidating. i spend a lot of time alone, a lot of time outside, a lot of it at night. and no one has ever bothered me. 99% of the homeless people are harmless, and you can pick out the scary ones easily.
dont worry!!! it's really not that bad!
i cant speak about any specific apartment complexes - i dont like big complexes so dont know much about them. i have heard a few random complaints, but most people are very happy, wherever they live.
you are going to want to move to the east end at some point in your education. it is just SO much more convenient, and you will soon realize that it's not really as scary or dangerous as some people say it is. i've lived here since i moved down, and am SO glad i live on the east end.
that's all . . . .

About the Ads

luckirabbit

15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2004
Status (Visible)
That's reassuring. When I visited Galveston, I notice that as well. People went about doing their thing without worries of "harm". I've heard over and over again, that living nearby campus was a real big convenience. Crimes involved are mostly theft.

As a future MSO, I don't have anything for anyone to rob anyway. :rolleyes: And by the time, I'm a fourth year, I'll have even less :D

luckirabbit

15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2004
Status (Visible)
:cool: It's summertime! I hope school is over for everyone. I'm going to go to chill for a couple of days. Who is doing the prematric program?

How is the housing hunt going? I'm going to be staying in one of the fraternity houses this summer. Fall housing is still undecided.

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
luckirabbit said:
:cool: It's summertime! I hope school is over for everyone. I'm going to go to chill for a couple of days. Who is doing the prematric program?

How is the housing hunt going? I'm going to be staying in one of the fraternity houses this summer. Fall housing is still undecided.

hey,
i will be going to the prematriculation prgm. all of the frat rooms were filled. i waited to long to inquire....i will be staying in a dorm room. which frat are you staying in?
nykka3

PharmDMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
Galveston, Tx
Status (Visible)
Hey guys,

Just curious how much people decided to take out in relation to student loans for year 1 (obviously i wanna cover my tuition, fees, and living expenses, but still they give you quite a bit to work with and yet, I've got loans already from my first grad degree. Anyone in my situation wherein you're trying to do some loan damage control and can give me an idea how you're budgeting Uncle Sam's $$, I'd appreciate it- thanks!

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
Hey pharm,

I am taking out about 30,000 and I know I am probably on the medium to high end of the spectrum (at least for texas). Thankfully, I dont have any undergrad debt but I got plenty of credit card debt :smuggrin:
I just figured I rather have more to live on than having to come short of budget!!

Has anyone gotten any new packets from UTMB?

By the way, are you guys planning to go to quest? What time is quest...I know its on 20th and 21st but what time and where....I dont remember seeing any particular info sent in regards to quest and orientation but then again my place is a mess now that I am packing and leaving austin!

Well hope to see you guys soon! :)

PharmDMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
Galveston, Tx
Status (Visible)
Disenchanted 1 said:
Hey pharm,

I am taking out about 30,000 and I know I am probably on the medium to high end of the spectrum (at least for texas). Thankfully, I dont have any undergrad debt but I got plenty of credit card debt :smuggrin:
I just figured I rather have more to live on than having to come short of budget!!

Has anyone gotten any new packets from UTMB?

By the way, are you guys planning to go to quest? What time is quest...I know its on 20th and 21st but what time and where....I dont remember seeing any particular info sent in regards to quest and orientation but then again my place is a mess now that I am packing and leaving austin!

Well hope to see you guys soon! :)

HEy Disenchanted,

thanks for the tip off in regard to loans (I'm gonna talk to some alum and see what the consensus is before I finally decide how much I want for the fall) Where are you staying at? (I got a place on 82nd --the Seasons) Last I communicated with Silva, she said the packets for orientation, etc. go out this week or next (hopefully this week, since time's running out and they should know how med students are notorious planners) I think I'm forgoing quest so I can work up till the time I move down to Galveston from Houston (need the $$ from work) I hear you on the messy apartment part. I'm kind of anxious about the whole experience, what about you?

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
PharmDMD said:
HEy Disenchanted,

thanks for the tip off in regard to loans (I'm gonna talk to some alum and see what the consensus is before I finally decide how much I want for the fall) Where are you staying at? (I got a place on 82nd --the Seasons) Last I communicated with Silva, she said the packets for orientation, etc. go out this week or next (hopefully this week, since time's running out and they should know how med students are notorious planners) I think I'm forgoing quest so I can work up till the time I move down to Galveston from Houston (need the $$ from work) I hear you on the messy apartment part. I'm kind of anxious about the whole experience, what about you?

I am very anxious just like you too pharm. I guess its a combination of leaving friends/family behind in austin and moving to a new town...and of course the stress of moving. I actually got an apartment within 5 min walking distance of UTMB...its on market str. I definitely need proximity. What made you choose the west end of the island?

I also called UTMB and confirmed that the last mailing was sent out yesterday and that will have info on orientation and quest and that will be the last mailing prior to matriculation.

Well, I look forward to meeting you guys :D

PharmDMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
Galveston, Tx
Status (Visible)
Well, I had visited both sides and received some advice from previous alumni. I ended up choosing the place I'm at (The Seasons) because I thought it was a great complex, right next to the Seawall, safe, and all ammenities paid for 550/mos. I said "where do I sign" :D Still, I hope we can find our "group" by orientation. When I started pharmacy school four years ago, I met on the first day, friends who I will cherish the rest of my life. Sure, I got to know and make good friends with others along the way too, but ironically enough I found my best buds on that first day where everyone tried to find someone they "click" with. I wish there was a way for us SDNers could meet up pre-orientation. It's not easy getting acquainted when you have 200 folks, a rather long (and often unnecessary orientation/"getting to know you sessions") For some reason, it's the people that you bump into that say something simple like "wow, I'm nervous" and you respond with "that's cool, I'm nervous too, so what do you think" ---etc. And hopefully the conversation takes off from there. I know I'm risking of sounding really corny in this post, but with all honesty, we're all looking for someone to call up at night and vent about the day, someone to go grab lunch with between classes, and someone who'll call you when you didnt come to class asking if everything's okay. Is that too much to ask? :oops:

Sina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2003
Status (Visible)
DazedConfused said:
Another cool experience to have had, but parking is horrendous, you have to deal with tourists all the time, shady-ness of living in a downtown area and no backyard or trees. Also think about getting a house with friends in Fish Village, its the neighborhood that surrounds Port-aux-Prince and is about 1/4 mile or so from campus. Kinda cheasy, plain-jane houses but convenient.

hey everyone,

i actually have a 2/2 apartment in port aux prince. its about 1200 sq ft so its pretty spacious. everyone i know is living in a 1/1 or in a house, so im interested in finding a roommate. let me know if anyones interested.

PharmDMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
Galveston, Tx
Status (Visible)
HEy guys,

just trying to see who some of my 1st year neighbors are gonna be. I decided to stay at Seasons (on 82nd). Anyone else in the complex or the nearby vicinity? What's everyone doing before orientation and before the madness begins? me, working my butt off trying to generate some funds for during the year. Talk to y'all later :oops:

vr4nut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2004
TBD ;)
Status (Visible)
PharmDMD said:
I wish there was a way for us SDNers could meet up pre-orientation. ... I know I'm risking of sounding really corny in this post, but with all honesty, we're all looking for someone to call up at night and vent about the day, someone to go grab lunch with between classes, and someone who'll call you when you didnt come to class asking if everything's okay. Is that too much to ask? :oops:

:D I feel the same way about having someone to count on. I've been in Galveston now for about 4 weeks and I have been completely alone for the last two. All of my family and friends are in St. Louis, Missouri, which is about 950 miles away. I haven't talked to anyone in two weeks and I think I'm forgetting how to talk ;). I REALLY would like to start meeting people who don't have to work all the time like my resident neighbors.

:idea: Anyone up to going out to lunch or dinner anytime? The only places I've been is Salsas (which I love!), Tortuga, China Buffet, Cici's Pizza (cheapest buffet anywhere), and a couple waaaay on the West end. I'm open to pretty much anything to get some social contact.

:eek: To all who haven't signed up for QUEST, the early registration deadline is AUGUST 1. Early registration is $30, late is $35, and on the schedule it looks like it includes one lunch and two dinners. I'm definately going.

Also, I received the last mailing yesterday or the day before (they're starting to run together). We have to report to Levin hall at 7:30am on Monday, August 23 if we want to matriculate. Orientation week seems pretty intense to me; every day but Friday it goes from about 8am -6pm, even 10pm. I wonder if we have to do it all?

vr4nut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2004
TBD ;)
Status (Visible)
PharmDMD said:
HEy guys,

just trying to see who some of my 1st year neighbors are gonna be. I decided to stay at Seasons (on 82nd). Anyone else in the complex or the nearby vicinity? What's everyone doing before orientation and before the madness begins? me, working my butt off trying to generate some funds for during the year. Talk to y'all later :oops:

82nd is out there. I'm not familiar with that area; I haven't even been out past 61st since March. I live about .9 miles from campus, but that's because I absolutely hate driving. I've gone weeks at a time without driving. At first I was afraid there'd be crime, after everything I've heard plus my neighbor informed me that my house has been broken into 3 times within the last 42 years, but I'm not worried anymore b/c he said its been 20 years since the last time.
I don't know what I'm going to do when it rains and I have to ride my bike for 8.5 minutes in business attire :confused: Where are you going to park? Other students have told me the streets, but I never saw which streets. I know there are garages, but I don't know which is for the public and which is for students. Then there's the matter of how to get a garage pass; at my undergrad university you literally had to camp out in front of the office at least 24 hours in advance of the day they started taking apps. Hopefully it is easier than that at UTMB. There are garages right next to our buildings; I used to have a 10 minute walk just from the parking garage to class in undergrad.

PharmDMD, I assume you're working until quest, at least? That would mean you wouldn't be up to going to Salsas sometime soon...

I'm not doing anything terribly important before school starts. I've been spending my days and nights fixing up my house in fish village which has been exhausting. My parents are coming down the week after next and then my friend the week after that.

Disenchanted 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status (Visible)
vr4nut said:
:D I feel the same way about having someone to count on. I've been in Galveston now for about 4 weeks and I have been completely alone for the last two. All of my family and friends are in St. Louis, Missouri, which is about 950 miles away. I haven't talked to anyone in two weeks and I think I'm forgetting how to talk ;). I REALLY would like to start meeting people who don't have to work all the time like my resident neighbors.

:idea: Anyone up to going out to lunch or dinner anytime? The only places I've been is Salsas (which I love!), Tortuga, China Buffet, Cici's Pizza (cheapest buffet anywhere), and a couple waaaay on the West end. I'm open to pretty much anything to get some social contact.

:eek: To all who haven't signed up for QUEST, the early registration deadline is AUGUST 1. Early registration is $30, late is $35, and on the schedule it looks like it includes one lunch and two dinners. I'm definately going.

Also, I received the last mailing yesterday or the day before (they're starting to run together). We have to report to Levin hall at 7:30am on Monday, August 23 if we want to matriculate. Orientation week seems pretty intense to me; every day but Friday it goes from about 8am -6pm, even 10pm. I wonder if we have to do it all?

Hey vr4nut,

I wish I was in galveston now....I would have loved to hang out. I can just imagine how hard it can be in a new town, knowing no one....ugh :( But I guess just hang in there for now as hard and lonely as it is now....we will all soon be there!! I am very excited and very nervous about this whole thing. I just received my orientation packet and the orientation week seems pretty intense with lots of info...I hope they keep it entertaining so that we wont :sleep: :sleep: ....especially (at least in my case) after getting use to being a lazy bum during the summer, sleeping at 3 and waking up at noon :rolleyes:

Well currently I am just working (well if you call 15 hours a week actual work) and just taking it easy....I am trying to build a routine with my workout so that i can carry it over to medical school so that when I need a stress relief I can resort to it. How is everyone's summer going?

vr4nut, how do you like galveston? And why did you have to go there so early...I am assuming perhaps you had to go to pre-matriculation :idea: :confused: I am moving there about 2 days before quest...!! Have you not been able to meet any current medical student....cuz I would have thought that you would have found someone!?? I guess the town is not as small as we think! Well I just hope you can find comfort in the fact that I am sure once we start we can all find that special friend/buddy that we can form bond with plus I just think people who go to UTMB are all very friendly! Hang in there and if you feel too lonely send me PM anytime.

PharmDMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
Galveston, Tx
Status (Visible)
Dang it, I was writing and pressed the stupid backspace button....grrrrrr...anyways, HEy everyone,

VrNut and Disenchanted, Yeah, I'm anticipating the "homesick" blues will be forthcoming unless we befriend a bunch of classmates and upperclassmen the next couple of weeks post orientation. Needless to say, I've got my fingers crossed that the environment we're about to be put it (a rather secluded Galveston Island) with a whole bunch of folks who will certainly be far far away from home equates into alot of empathy and comradare for each other. While my folks and friends are an hour away (H-town, texas) Its still an hour they'd rather not traverse under extremely busy schedules (but I know that some of them will still make it a point to visit). I guess the decision to stay over in "UTMB bundocks" was made when I went with my apartment locator around the island and we kept running into a) what were rather run down places on the Eastside b) continuous rumors of the prevading crime on that side of town and c) The Seasons was pretty decent looking. So my deal will be as Vrnut had pointed out, go grab the best parking permit (well atleast put my name on the waiting list for the best parking permit) and make my way over there to campus in the wee hours of the morning. I'm an AM person anyways, but I don't want to have to show up 1.5 hr before class (unless it's test day) just so that I don't have to play the (Stalk and hunt parking game with everyone else). I came from University of Houston, a campus with the word commuter university written all over it, so I definitly hear VrNut regarding the Parking and Transportation Olympics...I'll be heading down there a couple of times before actual M-day (move in) just so that I can get acquainted with essential places (nearest Krogers, wallmart, etc.) :p Important places for any student on a budget. Also, so that I can eventually drive to my location without travelling through Shady, Galveston and risk having my car shot at or being carjacked. With regard to the impending days ahead, I guess the whole mixed emotions strike me. Obviously we all want to be a physician, particularly a good one, but unfortunately they couldn't set it up wherein each of us had a medical school in our hometowns that we were granted immediate acceptance to, so here we are gathered to gater for the pursuit of the coveted M.D. :p Now, when I was in my first year of pharmacy school, about 4 years ago, it was nice to have only 100 students in the class and to have been even split up further into "colleges" whenever we held PBL (yup, that problem based learning method isn't something new, I'm just hoping it won't be as annoying this time around) So I'm thinking hmmm 200 students that we'll be going through 4 rigorous years of medschool with, probably sit countless hours inside some darkened auditorium or some cramped laboratory/classroom. It would be nice if we can all just "get along" and have a few less people with the provebial stick up their rectum, gunners (consumed solely of being #1 and unwilling to sacrifice anything that would get ihe way of that goal; I mean theres nothing wrong with wanting to excell, but if it just isolates you from everyone else, cause you to have this constant demeanor of perpetual anxiety and lack of sleep/social life, then we'll just have another case study during our psych course/rotation), and of course the pre-formed cliques of students who went with so-and-so to at X university or even our soon to be frat-colleagues who refuse to associate with others of a different fraternity or non-fraternity students...Who knows :confused: I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But yeah I don't think (and am pretty certain) we don't have to attend the social activities if we so choose not too. I'm not much of a barhopper myself, but I have no qualms of having friends who are or anything like that. I just don't do the "drinking" scene. So, I'm choosing not to go to those events, but yeah hopefully by mid-orientation week we already get to know each other and start the whole bonding process. Until then, just making sure everything from insurance/moving-in/health records/all the other 50 documents have to get signed/completed/notarized all taken cared off ASAP. But it's awesome to see y'alls post, any of y'all more than welcome to PM me.

Take care guys and ttyl,
Harold

About the Ads
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.