UTRGV Interview advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmmd

Mother of Dragons
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an interview coming up very soon at UTRGV. I couldn't find any interview feedback in sdn section, so if anyone has interviewed there before, I would appreciate any advice or tips. This is one of the few interviews I have so I want to make sure I do great!

Thank you in advance!

Also, this school has a class of only 50 students, me being a TX resident and interviewing after pre-match release, do you guys think I might have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought this was one of my most relaxed interviews! I remember talking to my interviewer about Mexico the whole time! I’m pretty sure they wanted to gauge my knowledge on the border and health disparities. I’m feel like I answered that without them asking because i did an MPH on the border. After the first 5 minutes, all we talked about the different places I’ve been to Mexico with my family. Super relaxed. Idk other people’s experience though.

Reactions: 1 user
UTRGV was a very laid-back and almost informal-feeling interview for me. Out of all the Texas schools I've interviewed at, it honestly was the most relaxed one so just go in and be yourself! They will definitely ask questions relating to how you feel about living in the Rio Grande Valley though so definitely be prepared for something like that. If you have ties to rural/underserved/border areas it might be worth bringing up since that was a huge talking point during my interview.

Also unsure if you've looked at it, but there's a thread specifically for the discussion of UTRGV's 2018-2019 cycle and a couple of people have shared their experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I have an interview coming up very soon at UTRGV. I couldn't find any interview feedback in sdn section, so if anyone has interviewed there before, I would appreciate any advice or tips. This is one of the few interviews I have so I want to make sure I do great!

Thank you in advance!

Also, this school has a class of only 50 students, me being a TX resident and interviewing after pre-match release, do you guys think I might have a chance?
Laid back, chill! Blind interview for me was extremely informal, but in a good way. Wouldnt stress about it, overall it was a good experience!

Lol if it makes you feel better we started speaking spanish in mine! so it was very chill, like everyone else said, just be yourself!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at every TX MD, UTGRV was in my top 4 and a great school. I really loved the vibe. If they sent you an invite they are definitely interested in you. They are very selective in who they choose to interview and they comb through your application. there were no tricks and it was a chill interview. definitely research the healthcare disparities of the area and talk about why you want to study in the rio grande valley.

Lol if it makes you feel better we started speaking spanish in mine! so it was very chill, like everyone else said, just be yourself!
Hello, I am not fluent in Spanish but I do speak some and put this on my application. Should I expect to be tested on how well I know Spanish in the interview or was this more of a casual thing that simply happened in your interview?

Hello, I am not fluent in Spanish but I do speak some and put this on my application. Should I expect to be tested on how well I know Spanish in the interview or was this more of a casual thing that simply happened in your interview?
I don't think so. You can try to hammer through it if you are confident enough and the interviewer knows Spanish, but I don't think they will hold it against you if you aren't there yet. It would certainly be a good talking point though.

Nah! I think mine was just randomly brought. Lowkey it was my fault cause I couldn’t remember how to say a specific word in English so I said it in Spanish so that’s where it started

Reactions: 1 users