Quantcast

UTSW Class of 2009!!!

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
1
Alexander Pink said:
Wow, so I am really impressed by the modern look of the 5225 apartments. Contemporary living, architecture, and furniture are very important to me, and this probably would be a great fit. How is the crime rate in the area? I noticed that at 5225 you enter your room from inside, something that seems more appealing to me than having a door to the outside. I can't wait to visit!


I like a lot about that complex, but truthfully, the vents look out of place. They are trying to make it look modern, but I think it looks like sh!t.

DCP00912.jpg
 

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,462
Reaction score
16
the rooms at 5225 do look nicer than inwood, despite the funky vent and the white walls...i hate white walls
 

Bright Star

Bright Star
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
Adiddy - I didn't get a chance to make it to the Dallas dinner last thursday, so I just wanted to know how it went?
 

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
1,671
Reaction score
3
JDAD said:
I like a lot about that complex, but truthfully, the vents look out of place. They are trying to make it look modern, but I think it looks like sh!t.

DCP00912.jpg

True, but I think the vent exposed rooms are optional. The overall complex looks nice, but then I heard it is in the ghetto and very noisy, with some steel construction thing on one side, and the rail road tracks oon the other. I guess I'll see when I get to Dallas.
 

adiddy1422

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Bright Star said:
Adiddy - I didn't get a chance to make it to the Dallas dinner last thursday, so I just wanted to know how it went?

Sorry BrightStar, I didn't get a chance to go either. I was actually hping you would have been able to feel me in :)
 

Zondeare

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
adiddy1422 said:
Sorry BrightStar, I didn't get a chance to go either. I was actually hping you would have been able to feel me in :)

Hey guys,

I went to the dinner. UTSW invites all current students from the Dallas area too. It was fun in the sense that everyone got a chance to meet a few people and ask questions, but you didn't miss a thing. Mainly, it was free food :)
 

mwhou

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
MadameLULU said:
who else was there from SDN besides you and me?

I was there too! Good to meet you all!

Good food - but everyone was pretty quiet. Did it seem like everyone was maybe a little sleep deprived, anxious or distracted (exams, classes to go to, etc)?

I'm excited about MS0. I think it will really help to make it feel like this whole process of admissions is over - and that the new one, being a medical student is really here!
 

mwhou

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Question for any lurking Medical Students:

A quick question about the grading system that I never seem to remember to ask!

What are the typical grades and grade distribution in MS1 & 2 classes? I understand most classes have a fixed numerical system for letter grades: 90 or 93= A, etc... I've heard some classes curve though. How is this usually done? Is is X points added to every test, or is the curve meant to bring 10% up to A's etc?

I know this is specific to each class, I'm hoping there might be a "most of the time answer." I guess my concern relates to the ammount of competition for grades. I like having a fixed system where >93 = A. >80= B etc. This loses its appeal if the mean is 50 and all non-failing grades are assigned by the curve.

THE REAL QUESTION:
Do a set % make below C on exams? Would the prof "allow" the entire class to make B or better, or is the reality a bell curve adjusted system where it is impossible to really earn a B or an A w/o the curve?
 

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,462
Reaction score
16
mwhou said:
I was there too! Good to meet you all!

Good food - but everyone was pretty quiet. Did it seem like everyone was maybe a little sleep deprived, anxious or distracted (exams, classes to go to, etc)?

I'm excited about MS0. I think it will really help to make it feel like this whole process of admissions is over - and that the new one, being a medical student is really here!
just sent you a pm
 

BenYossarian

thrillhouse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
mwhou said:
Question for any lurking Medical Students:

A quick question about the grading system that I never seem to remember to ask!

What are the typical grades and grade distribution in MS1 & 2 classes? I understand most classes have a fixed numerical system for letter grades: 90 or 93= A, etc... I've heard some classes curve though. How is this usually done? Is is X points added to every test, or is the curve meant to bring 10% up to A's etc?

I know this is specific to each class, I'm hoping there might be a "most of the time answer." I guess my concern relates to the ammount of competition for grades. I like having a fixed system where >93 = A. >80= B etc. This loses its appeal if the mean is 50 and all non-failing grades are assigned by the curve.

THE REAL QUESTION:
Do a set % make below C on exams? Would the prof "allow" the entire class to make B or better, or is the reality a bell curve adjusted system where it is impossible to really earn a B or an A w/o the curve?

It really depends on the class. All of the classes will give you an opportunity to review the exams and try to get points back that way. And averages on the tests on all classes are usually in the 80-89 range, usually toward the upper end of that scale. Other than that it varies. Some classes (anatomy, cell bio, phys) A>93, some classes it's 90 (biochem, genetics), some classes round up, some (genetics) don't. The only class I know where they try to have a set average is genetics, at least I think that's true.
 

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
1
Does anybody know how much tuition and fees will be this year?

I heard a rumour that they will be about $9400 just for tuition.

Also, on the website, it estimates around $5000 just for first year supplies, does this include the $3000 they think it costs for a laptop?
 

Texas1234

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
On waitlist for UTSW... is anyone else? Is there a decent chance? Hmm...
 

mwhou

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
BenYossarian said:
It really depends on the class. All of the classes will give you an opportunity to review the exams and try to get points back that way. And averages on the tests on all classes are usually in the 80-89 range, usually toward the upper end of that scale. Other than that it varies. Some classes (anatomy, cell bio, phys) A>93, some classes it's 90 (biochem, genetics), some classes round up, some (genetics) don't. The only class I know where they try to have a set average is genetics, at least I think that's true.


Thanks! I appreciate the info. Actually, it is better than I expected. I imagine people work very hard for that 80-89 average, but I'm glad to hear that the tests are passable. It may not make any difference, but I'm assuming that system removes the 'i'm not going to share because we're competing w/each other' attitude. (at least for most, hopefully!) That the class does that well is encouraging - good to know that effort will occasionally be rewarded w/ good results. Being pleased about making a 50 on an exam is sometimes tough!
 

mwhou

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
JDAD said:
Does anybody know how much tuition and fees will be this year?

I heard a rumour that they will be about $9400 just for tuition.

Also, on the website, it estimates around $5000 just for first year supplies, does this include the $3000 they think it costs for a laptop?


$9400 :eek: - I remember asking a similar question about the high number on the interview packet & being told it DID include the laptop. I just don't remember what number & term that was refering too...hopefully someone knows, but I guess we will find out in 2 weeks
 

Zondeare

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Yes, 5000 includes the money for a computer. It also is a gross exaggeration for how much you'll actually spend. That total includes all the books they recommend, but honestly, most books are a waste of money. Between going to class (or reading scribes from the class) and your syllabus, you'll have everything you need. (with the exception of anatomy- a good atlas is essential)

Financial aid is plenty to cover everything. They gave us $28,800 for our first year everything included, and without taking it all out, I'm still going to have money left over. Just plan a budget and you'll be okay.

I think 9400 is tuition and fees. 6 thousand something for type 1 tuition, 1500 for the second type, then required fees (like microscope usage fees). Your total bill for both semesters will be under 10k. But, fair warning, there was a public meeting to discuss increases in tuition for next year. We haven't recieved official word yet.

Texas1234, Yes there is a chance! If you call, the administration should tell you what quarter you are on the wait list. If you're in the top one, don't give up hope. One of my good friends this year was waitlisted until the very last minute.
 

mwhou

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know what company offers the best cell phone coverage for the area around Southwestern and North Dallas?

I have T-mobile now and would hate to have to switch back to cingular or att. Any T-mobile users try it in the medical school building?
 

meads

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2004
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
I have another phone-related question. Is it necessary to have a local phone number? (214/972/469) I plan on only using my cell phone (no home line) throughout med school and if you do need a local number I want to change it sooner than later.

Thanks!
 

Zondeare

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
I have T-mobile and it's not the best. I think Sprint gets the best reception. Not sure though. Really, I just know that Tmobile sucks because I don't get reception where everyone else seems to get it.

And no, you don't have to have a local phone number. The best thing about a local number is that local people can call you without calling long distance. I know several people that only have cell phones from other area codes. If you decide to stay with your phone number now, you won't be the only one.
 

SteveUTexas

hmmm.....
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
Just a reminder that the Austin dinner is tonight at 5:30 at Double Dave's on Duval. Hope to see some of y'all there.
 

dcham

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, just out of curiosity and in an effort to get the thread rolling, where do you guys go to undergrad? I'm at Washu in St. Louis so I feel a little left out of all the dinners that you guys are getting to go to :)
 

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
1,671
Reaction score
3
dcham said:
Hey guys, just out of curiosity and in an effort to get the thread rolling, where do you guys go to undergrad? I'm at Washu in St. Louis so I feel a little left out of all the dinners that you guys are getting to go to :)

I'm at Rice, obviously.
 

heeter

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2002
Messages
212
Reaction score
0
dcham said:
Hey guys, just out of curiosity and in an effort to get the thread rolling, where do you guys go to undergrad? I'm at Washu in St. Louis so I feel a little left out of all the dinners that you guys are getting to go to :)

That's ok, I live a mile away from the Austin dinner but didn't get invited. Go figure!
 

dcham

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
heeter said:
That's ok, I live a mile away from the Austin dinner but didn't get invited. Go figure!


that seems a little harsh :D
 

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
1
I live near Austin too and I wasn't invited.
 

Bright Star

Bright Star
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
Well I live in Denton (a suburb of dallas) and i didn't get invited to the dallas dinner. I went to school in upstate NY(Clarkson University..which i am sure no one has heard of) but i graduated in 2000 so i'm back in TX working
 

SteveUTexas

hmmm.....
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
I received a call from Dr. Major Bradshaw at Baylor today. Now I am not sure where I am going to end up. Ironically the call came during the Southwestern dinner in Austin. I guess they are just trying to make my life complicated.
 

Wstar5721

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
SteveUTexas said:
I received a call from Dr. Major Bradshaw at Baylor today. Now I am not sure where I am going to end up. Ironically the call came during the Southwestern dinner in Austin. I guess they are just trying to make my life complicated.

Haha...I was there when you got that call at Amy's Ice Cream. Thought it was terribly ironic that they called you in the presence of all of these Southwestern people.

I'm hoping to hear back from Baylor, but the more I look at it, I feel that UTSW has a lot to offer that Baylor does not (and vice versa) and I would not be in the least disappointed if I didn't get into Baylor. Good luck with your decision though, it's all about which one can serve your needs best.
 

jaboy

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 6, 2002
Messages
312
Reaction score
0
sunkists said:
congratulations everyone, you are all in for quite a ride. it'll be great.

my suggestion - unless you feel like getting acclimated to the school or don't have any other plans, go nuts this summer. travel, spend it with friends, family, write a book... do something weird. you can do the summer research if you want (you'll get letters about that soon) but i suggest something you've always wanted to do. it is, after all, the 2nd to last summer you'll ever have. and whatever you do, don't be a gunner and study before school starts.


The research jobs at SW can be pretty lax and give you a lot of free time, so if you live in the Dallas area (and are not rich like Sunkists and can afford to take a summer off) go for it.
 

jaboy

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 6, 2002
Messages
312
Reaction score
0
JDAD said:
Thanks for the quick replies. I am interested at Innwood, but the prices on thieir webiste were a little steep. If what you say is true regarding the discounts to medicals students, that is probably be where I will live next yeay unless I can find a cool garage-appartment in the Highland/University Park area. That would be ideal, quite and peaceful.

Is Innwood very loud? I am looking for an apartment without all the distractions.

My girlfriend lives at the Village right now, although her commute to SMU Law school is much shorter than mine would be. It's a pretty sweet deal, (She only pays 405 a month for a studio) but I don't think I want to drive that far. Mockingbird traffic SUCKS!

Thanks again for the info, and anything else specific about your Innwood experience would be great.


I would recommend living in O.C.
 

mwhou

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Wow, this is getting to be a very quiet thread!

Are you all getting as excited about MS0 day as I am? Looks like a lot of fun!

What small group meetings are you all going to attend?

I will attend the Curriculum Structure, Research Opportunities & Spouse/Significant Other. But, I'm going to miss the Clinical Opportunities and Starting School. I'd be happy to take notes and share any information here. Can someone going to the Clinical Opp. and Starting School do the same?
 

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
1,671
Reaction score
3
mwhou said:
Wow, this is getting to be a very quiet thread!

Are you all getting as excited about MS0 day as I am? Looks like a lot of fun!

What small group meetings are you all going to attend?

I will attend the Curriculum Structure, Research Opportunities & Spouse/Significant Other. But, I'm going to miss the Clinical Opportunities and Starting School. I'd be happy to take notes and share any information here. Can someone going to the Clinical Opp. and Starting School do the same?

I can't wait either! I am going to the Starting School, Clinical Opps, and curriculum. I wish I could have gone to Research as well, but I have been reading up on it online so I htink I know most of what I need to.
 

xluke

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
'Sup all,

I'm sorry that I'm going to miss the MS0 day(s). I'm in Utah right now yukking it up skiing. I go to school in Montreal and 'spring' doesn't really start until after exams so we have a 'study break,' which is really a winter break. I made travel plans long before I knew of MS0 day and its important to keep priorities :)

Does anyone know if there is a forum for finding a roomate?
 

mwhou

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
xluke said:
'Sup all,

I'm sorry that I'm going to miss the MS0 day(s). I'm in Utah right now yukking it up skiing. I go to school in Montreal and 'spring' doesn't really start until after exams so we have a 'study break,' which is really a winter break. I made travel plans long before I knew of MS0 day and its important to keep priorities :)

Does anyone know if there is a forum for finding a roomate?


UTSW does put together a roomate locator system on their website, but I don't think it is up yet. I'm sure we'll hear about it on ms0 - I'll let you know what they say.

I'm sure its rough having to miss MS0, but its probably your dedication to priorities that got you into med school. Keep up the good work! Seriously, I'm sure there will be lots of talk about MS0 here after the weekend, so you shouldn't miss too much.
 

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
1
xluke said:
'Sup all,

I'm sorry that I'm going to miss the MS0 day(s). I'm in Utah right now yukking it up skiing. I go to school in Montreal and 'spring' doesn't really start until after exams so we have a 'study break,' which is really a winter break. I made travel plans long before I knew of MS0 day and its important to keep priorities :)

Does anyone know if there is a forum for finding a roomate?


Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Damn. I think I found a friend.


As for everybody else, I am sure we can be friends too! See you bright andearly Friday morning.
 

thehopeful

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
312
Reaction score
0
Hey just out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many people are waiting on decision from baylor or out of state school and will go to that school if accepted. Please let me know b/c, obviosly...
Thanx
 

heeter

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2002
Messages
212
Reaction score
0
thehopeful said:
Hey just out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many people are waiting on decision from baylor or out of state school and will go to that school if accepted. Please let me know b/c, obviosly...
Thanx

I'm waiting for similar but don't count on me... Duke and WashU are still possible but not likely for me. And I'm only considering them b/c I lived in Dallas for 7 years and am not thrilled about going back.
 

SteveUTexas

hmmm.....
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
thehopeful said:
Hey just out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many people are waiting on decision from baylor or out of state school and will go to that school if accepted. Please let me know b/c, obviosly...
Thanx

Southwestern matched 329 for a class of 220 so about 130 people are going to have to decline before there is any waitlist movement.
 

dcham

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, how's MS0 day going? I wish I could have made it down and I hope you all are having a great time!
 

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
1
Wow, no one wants to talk about MS0 day.

I had a good time, but I didn't go on Saturday because I am international and don't qualify for any financial aid. I went shopping for a place to live instead. Didn't accomplish much because it is still too early.
 

IndyZX

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
1,535
Reaction score
3
thehopeful said:
Hey just out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many people are waiting on decision from baylor or out of state school and will go to that school if accepted. Please let me know b/c, obviosly...
Thanx
im in that group.
 

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
1
MadameLULU said:
I had a good time as well!
So, Dr. Wright routinely reads this thread....?


I don't know, sorry. I didn't mean to leave that on there.
 
Top