UTSW vs Dell (after Dell's first step scores released)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VivaElBirdos

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was fortunate to pre-match into these two schools. Has the comparison changed since the release of Dell's Step 1 scores? (244 average) They have higher Step averages, lower tuition and much smaller class size (50 vs 244). However, UTSW seems to be the safe bet with their established reputation, strong residency programs and prior match lists. Curious to hear other's opinions and see if the stance on Dell is evolving as new information comes out.
 
I agree, although I am pretty sure Dell gives a 25% scholarship to the first 4 classes so it would be ~20k cheaper over 4 years, not enough to base my decision around it.
 
Hey @VivaElBirdos, congratulations on those excellent prematches. I’m in a similar dilemma and actually started a forum a few days back also trying to gain some clarity.
How to Choose The Right School
Both are great schools, I think it’ll come down to where you plan on focusing your career down the road as you outlined. UTSW is a clinical/research powerhouse, while Dell does seem to have more of a primary/internal med focus.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad