UVM Students.......HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altaskier

Altaholics Anonymous 92'
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to UVM. However, I have one main concern regarding the curriculum. I have been told that students have 1.5 years of basic science (as opposed to 2) and then another 1.5 years of clerkships, and then they take Step 1 of the boards. Now, this isn't the traditional way to do it (2 years of basic science and then take the boards at the end of your 2nd year). I was wondering if you all thought you might be at a disadvantage taking the step 1 at the end of your third year? I also wanted to ask this makes you late for applying to residencies (kind of like taking the August MCAT, instead of the April one)? And, DO YOU GUYS FIND YOURSELF FORGETTING LOTS OF BASIC SCIENCE STUFF WHEN IT COMES TIME TO STUDYING FOR THE BOARDS? And, do you get ample time off to study for the boards? And how much time?

I really liked UVM, but this one fact is kind of discouraging me from going. I'd like your input on it.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a UVM student but I thought that I might mention that the USMLE Step 1 is now a computerized exam that can be taken at any time during the year. So, it could be quite possible for you to take Step 1 as soon as you finished the first 1.5 years, just before you start on the wards.

I knew about that....but the thing is you get no time off to study/prep. So you'd pretty much be screwed. From what I hear, very few of the UVM students take Step 1 after their 1.5 years of basic science.