UW-Madison vs Wake forest(scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tommies26

Medical Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to Madison and was totally committed to going until I was accepted this week off of the wait list for Wake Forest. I received a very generous scholarship from Wake, but my #1 choice of school would be Madison. I also liked Wake, but honestly strongly disliked the city of Winston-Salem, and did not feel as if I was the greatest fit with the limited number of students I met. Wondering if anyone has any comments on either school. (Quality of life at each school, which school would be more helpful with matching for residency, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are the total CoAs for each? If the difference is small and you hated the location of Wake, then go to Madison and don't look back.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received a pretty generous scholarship from Wake, but my number 1 school choice is Madison. I could have made that more clear haha

I'd still go with Madison but it's up to you. For me, non-financial factors like fit and being comfortable in the city for four years are more important than cost differences.

Reactions: 1 users
What are the total CoAs for each? If the difference is small and you hated the location of Wake, then go to Madison and don't look back.
Pretty significant which is why I am struggling with the decision. Madison I'd come out with around 240k in debt vs 90k at Wake.

...ouch. Factoring in all of the interest accrual that's like 250-300k more you'd have to eventually pay. Have you already tried contacting Madison regarding the discrepancy and tried to get them to match it, or at least close the gap?

Reactions: 1 user
...ouch. Factoring in all of the interest accrual that's like 250-300k more you'd have to eventually pay. Have you already tried contacting Madison regarding the discrepancy and tried to get them to match it, or at least close the gap?

I plan on contacting them tomorrow, hoping for some good news, but I can't imagine they'll offer anything close to that

seems like Michigan wins in every regard except money. ( better career prospects, better happiness etc)

So the question comes down to are you willing to pay extra? If so, go for it.

You only go to med school once and if you feel like you'll be unhappy at Wake ( which can lead to worse academic performance), then I'd go Michigan.

Also, where do you wanna settle down as a doctor?

seems like Michigan wins in every regard except money. ( better career prospects, better happiness etc)

You only go to med school once and if you feel like you'll be unhappy at Wake ( which can lead to worse academic performance), then I'd go Michigan.

Michigan?

Reactions: 2 users

That makes sense. Not really sure. The midwest would be high on my list though, so Madison also makes sense for me from that point.

Well I contacted Madison and they offered me a great scholarship as well, so I'm sticking to my #1 choice! Thanks for the advice everyone!

Reactions: 2 users