All Branch Topic (ABT) VA HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B4y 4RE4 N4Tiv3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any student that needs to hear this, VA also has a HPSP and you get to go to a civilian residency *(For the most part because you have to do tours at VA facilities). This is also a unique opportunity to "serve your country" but be advised VA also has it issues. Service agreement is 4 years after residency and they assign you to a VA facility.

*Most big research institutions also train residents at the VA, so in my opinion qualifies as civilian residency because I'm guessing your attendings will be both VA/Research institution faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This is brought up every once in a while, but I’ve never heard from anyone who has ever participated in the program.

Are you perhaps the unicorn we’ve been looking for? Would definitely like to hear your perspective if so.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For any student that needs to hear this, VA also has a HPSP and you get to go to a civilian residency *(For the most part because you have to do tours at VA facilities). This is also a unique opportunity to "serve your country" but be advised VA also has it issues. Service agreement is 4 years after residency and they assign you to a VA facility.

*Most big research institutions also train residents at the VA, so in my opinion qualifies as civilian residency because I'm guessing your attendings will be both VA/Research institution faculty.

does the scholarship include the same signing bonus and living stipend?
Thanks for sharing I will be looking into this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with the VA Leadership about this Program last June. They had just received the money from Congress to stand the Program up. While they had a "global perspective" on what the Program is SUPPOSED to do, and a vague idea on how to accomplish it. When it came down to where the rubber meets the road, they had no idea how far behind the power curve they actually were. At that very early starting point, they were not exactly sure what to pay or how to pay it (tuition, fees, equipment). They had never considered individual training agreements with the individual medical and dental schools. I don't think they even composed the minimum standards for the scholarship. They did not have a plan for HPSP drops, or those who fail to do the follow-up payback. The folks we spoke to were seemingly unaware that some HPSPers do not meet academic milestones (not even sure if they had milestones in mind), or, what to do for/to those who don't. I'd be very surprised if this got up and running this soon. Like I said, the learning curve then was steep, but, they are the VA, and, they have some very bright folks over there. And, I've been surprised in the past.

The HPSP is a monster to stand up and run. On paper it is very black and white in Program policy, statute and DoD policy. In reality, there are some very human considerations/decisions that must be made while still following those back and white statutes and policies. The HPSP AND personnel offices across all three Services have to walk a fine line between "As outlined in the contract that you signed" you WILL, or we (the HPSP or Personnel Office) WILL do this, and honest to God human compassion for each individual circumstance.

Reactions: 1 user
does the scholarship include the same signing bonus and living stipend?
Thanks for sharing I will be looking into this.

It does not mention anything about the signing bonus, but the living stipend is there. The post above this post is correct, they are missing alot especially how residency is going to go(VA residency or regular civilian). Also it does not address veterans that receive disability (i.e do you keep getting disability while you get the HPSP)

Reactions: 1 users
I found a contact phone number for the VA HPSP. If I get new information I'll share with the community. Thanks again guys!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone found out more about the scholarship role out? The VA website document says it anticipates starting for FY 2020, with details being released in the Fall.

I happen to be an individual interested in pursuing the scholarship.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul here. This can’t help recruiting for military HPSP

Has anyone found out more about the scholarship role out? The VA website document says it anticipates starting for FY 2020, with details being released in the Fall.
If the anticipate starting in FY 2020, plan on a mid-2022 launch.

Incidentally, they have been talking and vaguely advertising the VA HPSP since I was a medical student >10 years ago.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul here. This can’t help recruiting for military HPSP
I dunno, I can't imagine doing HPSP to end up in the VA. I suppose the prospect of FTOS residency is there, but again, have they really thought it through all the way? What if a grad doesn't pick up a civilian residency? They can't just stick him in a TY program and have him GMO. VAs partner with academic institutions, but as far as I know there are no VA run residencies.

I suppose there are a few people who would rather creep into a dark cave to practice medicine, rather than out in the field or in the fleet. (and I'm not referencing radiologists)

The quickest pathway would to draw from an expanded PHS HPSP program, which has been established and has run (albeit in smaller numbers than the other uniformed services) or to copy that program outright.