VA/other government internships: Effects of federal hiring freeze?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 3 users
From the VA sec a few minutes ago.

*snip*
The Presidential Memorandum authorizes me, as Acting Secretary of VA, to exempt from the hiring freeze any positions that I deem necessary to meet national security or public safety responsibilities. To that end, today I exempted a range of occupations from the hiring freeze in this memo.

Psychology is included. I assume this means intern.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone breathes half a sigh of relief.

... I don't think this applies to BOP. It's from the Acting Secretary of Veterans Affairs.

Just received an email from one of my VA sites confirming. Time to turn our energy towards helping our fellow applicants who still haven't heard from the BoP? We're all in this together!

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an email from one of my VA sites confirming. Time to turn our energy towards helping our fellow applicants who still haven't heard from the BoP? We're all in this together!

I suspect the BoP is already covered under the "public safety" exemptions, but it would be wise for this to be confirmed by APPIC (or someone!).

Indian Health Service (IHS) internships are also still up in the air.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only BOP (or IHS) person feeling extremely demoralized after Greg Keilin's email?

Am I the only BOP (or IHS) person feeling extremely demoralized after Greg Keilin's email?
No, you are not. I used that exact words to describe my feeling earlier today. I only have one state prison to rank... the rest are federal.

No, you are not. I used that exact words to describe my feeling earlier today. I only have one state prison to rank... the rest are federal.
I don't even have words to reply.. I'm trying to stay hopeful for you, myself, and everyone else who's still in this boat :(

Reactions: 1 users
APPIC POSTDOC-NETWORK
---

This message provides additional information and ranking guidance for applicants to Indian Health Service (IHS) and Federal Bureau of Prisons (BoP) positions, and is a follow-up to the e-mail distributed on Saturday, 1/28/17 ("Federal Positions and Ranking Guidance").

INDIAN HEALTH SERVICE FUNDED PROGRAMS
The following programs with IHS-funded positions have determined that the federal freeze does NOT apply and they WILL be participating in the Match:

1992 - Indian Health Board of Minneapolis
1437 - Southwest Consortium/NMVAHCS
1521 - Northeastern Oklahoma Psychology Internship
2149 - Alaska Psychology Internship Consortium / Norton Sound Health

APPIC is unaware of any other IHS-funded positions. If you have concerns about the impact of the federal hiring freeze on any program to which you have applied, please contact the Training Director of that program for the latest information.

BUREAU OF PRISONS - ADDITIONAL RANKING GUIDANCE

Several applicants have asked: What if the BoP programs can't participate in Phase I and I end up matching to a non-BoP position in Phase I? Can I still apply for BoP positions later, if and when they become available?

The answer is no. If the BoP programs are not able to participate in Phase I, and an applicant is matched to a non-BoP program in Phase I, then that applicant must attend the non-BoP program to which they matched. The results of the Match are binding; a matched applicant may not seek a BoP position at a later date.

Some applicants have told us that they have a very strong interest in a BoP internship position and wish to avoid the above scenario. They have asked if it's acceptable to rank only BoP sites in Phase I, which would leave them unmatched if the BoP sites did not participate in Phase I. Being unmatched in Phase I would then leave them free to apply to the BoP programs if and when they became available (e.g., during Phase II or the Post-Match Vacancy Service).

While this is an acceptable approach, it's important to understand the potential risks:

1. By definition, this approach increases one's chances of remaining unmatched.

2. While we are hopeful that BoP positions will be available to applicants at some point in the future, there is no guarantee that will ultimately happen.

3. While we expect a surplus of internship positions this year, there is no guarantee that an applicant who is unmatched in Phase I will be able to secure a suitable position in Phase II or the Post-Match Vacancy Service. This is particularly true if the applicant wants to obtain an APA- or CPA-accredited position.

4. Even if BoP positions do become available, they may not be offered until the Post-Match Vacancy Service, which means that the applicant would need to remain unmatched in Phase I and Phase II in order to be eligible for those positions. In other words, the wait for BoP positions to become available could be weeks or months.

Please contact me at (512) 410-0002 if you wish to discuss your specific situation.

BUREAU OF PRISONS - LIST OF PROGRAMS

The following BoP sites are impacted by the federal hiring freeze and all programs at these sites will be removed from the Match by APPIC if we do not receive notice of an exemption:

1133 - Metropolitan Detention Center - Los Angeles, CA
1222 - Federal Bureau of Prisons - Tallahassee, FL
2126 - Federal Correctional Complex - Terre Haute, IN
1407 - Federal Correctional Complex - Butner, NC
2169 - Federal Correctional Complex - Petersburg, VA
2365 - Federal Correctional Complex, Allenwood - White Deer, PA
1575 - Federal Correctional Institute - Fort Worth, TX1167 - Federal Correctional Institution, Terminal Island - San Pedro, CA1385 - Federal Medical Center - Rochester, MN1743 - Federal Medical Center, Carswell - Fort Worth, TX1722 - Federal Medical Center, Devens - Ayer, MA1311 - Federal Medical Center - Lexington, KY1398 - U.S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners - Springfield, MO
The following program is also impacted by the freeze and will be removed from the Match by APPIC if we do not receive notice of an exemption for the BoP positions; however, other programs at this site are NOT affected by the freeze:

140912 - University of North Carolina School of Medicine - Chapel Hill - "Clinical Forensic" program only(All other programs at this site are available and NOT affected by the freeze)

I called the BOP and found out that they are currently waiting for direction from the Department of Justice. Please call their comment line and leave a message urging them to follow what the VA has done and put out a list of exempt positions. Their contact information is as follows:

I've contacted my reps. Unfortunately, it's bad optics to say you're restricting hiring of doctors for Veterans while I gather most Trump supporters would cheer if he told them he was restricting the hiring of clinical staff for prisons.

I've contacted my reps. Unfortunately, it's bad optics to say you're restricting hiring of doctors for Veterans while I gather most Trump supporters would cheer if he told them he was restricting the hiring of clinical staff for prisons.
Defer to the two missions of the bureau that were previously referred to, namely reducing recidivism rates and protecting society. Republicans will eat that up

Better mental health services for prisoners also keeps correctional officers safe... coping skills and less impulsivity.

I called the BOP and found out that they are currently waiting for direction from the Department of Justice. Please call their comment line and leave a message urging them to follow what the VA has done and put out a list of exempt positions. Their contact information is as follows:

As a current employee and former predoctoral intern of the agency, this is heartbreaking to me. I really hope they come to their senses and make a last minute exception before the end of tomorrow.

As a current employee and former predoctoral intern of the agency, this is heartbreaking to me. I really hope they come to their senses and make a last minute exception before the end of tomorrow.
Do you have the impression that it's that someone hasn't "come to their senses", or that they just can't make an argument for an exemption? I doubt the directors of training programs want to suspend them...

I was in communication with Greg Keilin yesterday and he said that we have more time to get the exemption - it doesn't have to be in by tomorrow. So long as it's in by next week. So please, no one stop the efforts to push for this exemption after tomorrow - we still have time!

Also, back to this link:

http://cqrcengage.com/apapolicy/app...WeWtsdZlQwLcEDgVDcp-7kuUoTStHGzCPfE3Zhs8&lp=0

I found that you can click the "remember me" button and it saves your information so that every time you go to that link, it's already filled out. I'm sending these out in bulk. My goal is to send 100. I'm at 50 so far now that I figured out this trick and will be done with 100 in 5 minutes. Just in case you guys wanna do that too - if we flood their inbox, they HAVE to notice us.

Do you have the impression that it's that someone hasn't "come to their senses", or that they just can't make an argument for an exemption? I doubt the directors of training programs want to suspend them...

I'm not sure if I understand your question but my comment was referring to the fact that the exemption has not yet been made or possibly won't be. I don't see how anyone could argue that VA psychologists are exempt based on public safety but you can't say the same for psychologists working in prisons. Although common sense does not seem to be the game they are playing.

I don't see how anyone could argue that VA psychologists are exempt based on public safety

Undertreated psychiatric patients are potential danger to self and others.

I think they were saying I don't know why VA psychs would be exempt but BoP staff wouldn't be.

My statement is much more clear if you look at the rest of the sentence. Of course I see the point about VA psychologists.

It's really not that hard to understand. It's politics. One would look REALLY bad in the news, and one would not.

I totally agree. Hence my comment about common sense.

I think they were saying I don't know why VA psychs would be exempt but BoP staff wouldn't be.
"Why should prisoners get mental health services when many LAW ABIDING CITIZENS can't get services in their community?"

That would be their argument. One does not exclude the other, but they would ignore that little fact or make an "alternative fact".

No official word from BoP or appic yet but I found this memorandum released today (released around 5pm or so). The BoP psychology internship falls under the "pathways" internship program. Look at item 3h on this form. I'm 99.9% sure that means the exemption came through.

https://www.chcoc.gov/content/federal-civilian-hiring-freeze-guidance

3. Exemptions:
h. Appointments made under the Pathways Internship and Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Programs (this does not include the Recent Graduates Program). Agencies should ensure that such hires understand the provisional nature of these appointments and that conversion is not guaranteed.

No official word from BoP or appic yet but I found this memorandum released today (released around 5pm or so). The BoP psychology internship falls under the "pathways" internship program. Look at item 3h on this form. I'm 99.9% sure that means the exemption came through.

https://www.chcoc.gov/content/federal-civilian-hiring-freeze-guidance

3. Exemptions:
h. Appointments made under the Pathways Internship and Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Programs (this does not include the Recent Graduates Program). Agencies should ensure that such hires understand the provisional nature of these appointments and that conversion is not guaranteed.
Good eye... I'm over here with new found hope.

Veterans vs. prisoners is a weird thing to argue when there are prisoners who are Veterans as well...

Veterans vs. prisoners is a weird thing to argue when there are prisoners who are Veterans as well...

I know. I'm just saying I could imagine that argument because I've seen it used in a similar way (prisons that offer schooling/GED and some ppl argue that $ should go towards their community). Again, I don't agree, but there are some pretty….alternative fact views out there.

upload_2017-2-1_15-49-40.jpeg
verses
images

It's about optics. Sort of. I would also argue that people who serve their country with honor and distinction and get treatment for the injuries from that service are a bit different from people who don't follow the rules of society. Sure there is some overlap, but really? Nevertheless, I still agree that prisoners should be treated and psychologists should be included in that treatment.

Not according to "data" and "studies." They all say Nickleback is the greatest band of all time. They have sold 50 billion records. Period.
I'm not sure where you pulled your data and studies from, but I've got Nickleback record sales at 50 million, not 50 billion. Shoot, not even The Beatles have sold 50 billion. Although, one night, I looked into the night sky and saw about 50 billion stars. At least I think they were stars.

Just found this thread, and I spoke to interns at BOP Tallahassee who are currently not getting paid due to the government shutdown. Thoughts?