VA Podiatry a good gig?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PSLF is offered. You either need to be full-time or part-time working more than 30 hours a week. You'll need to get your supervisor to sign off on the form every year.

If you are a VA resident your three years in residency count towards the total of 10.

I looked into it, but a few big loans from 2009 didn't qualify for it so I went a different route.

Side benefit is that if you work more than 35 hrs a week for at least 4 weeks you are eligible for the federal employee health plans (PPOs, HMOs etc) for as long as your remain an employee (even if your hours drop below 35). Part timers do not get access to dental or vision, nor do they get Thrift Savings Plan access (gov IRA retirement program).
 
Last edited:
Loans have changed through the years. Only certain loan types are eligible for certain programs and pathways. This is a source of major contention because people regularly apply for things that their loan type can't qualify for - example, forgiveness. If you were watching the news within the last year there was a media freak out because of how few people qualified for "forgiveness". In fact, many of the people applying were never going to qualify because of their loan type. The take home for future borrowers is to try and stay up to date with the different payment plans and options and whatnot. Right after I graduated we actually had a pathway that would partially pay your unpaid interest for 3 years. The rules and the game will continue to change. You have to do your best to stay up to date with them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does the VA pay for both medicare and social security Paycheck deductions? See below, pg. 4. If so, that’s a nice added bonus.


They've pulled a fast one on you. Many taxes have both an employer and an employee side. They are calling this a benefit - essentially any employer would have to pay this "benefit" for you if you were a W-2 employee. If you are self-employed ie. a contractor, 1099 etc you pay both sides of SS and Medicare. The link below I think does an adequate job describing it though I only read a part of the page.

The big take away from this if you weren't already aware is - be super careful if you ever find yourself in a contractor situation. You'll be paying potentially substantially more in taxes. If you work for a podiatrist they may try to pay you like a W-2 but let you get taxed like a contractor.

 
Curious..... Given this is a government job, what is the typical timeframe for applying... interviewing... and being offered a job?

Also, I read that market pay can increase based on board certifications, journal publications, etc... any estimate how much that can add to the overall market pay?
 

Atlanta VA program is looking for a Residency Program Director if anyone is interested.
 
Curious..... Given this is a government job, what is the typical timeframe for applying... interviewing... and being offered a job?

Also, I read that market pay can increase based on board certifications, journal publications, etc... any estimate how much that can add to the overall market pay?

from applying to starting, it took me 10 months, and yea academic accomplishments help increase your salary, also depends on location
 
Dang that’s a long time. I wasn’t sure how long they “waited” for an applicant to finish their current contract. But 10 months sounds like ample time to finish your previous job and move to start with the VA.
 

Atlanta VA program is looking for a Residency Program Director if anyone is interested.
Wasnt there a post on here awhile back about this program being a sunken ship/stay away?
 
Yea it is a sunken ship/stay away for a student applying for a residency program. But this is a position for someone looking for a pay check, 9-5 job with good benefits.

I sincerely doubt being a residency director is a "9-5" job lol. My residency director worked his butt off--and then there's all the meetings...

Maybe the residency director that is being replaced only worked 9-5, which would explain the sinking ship maybe??
 
I sincerely doubt being a residency director is a "9-5" job lol. My residency director worked his butt off--and then there's all the meetings...

Maybe the residency director that is being replaced only worked 9-5, which would explain the sinking ship maybe??

Remember this is a government job with the VA. Yes people do work 9-5 in a government job except if you are an over achiever and aspire to be the head of the VA hospital someday then you bust your ass and work more than the stipulated hours of 9-5.
 
I guess one thing that’s nice is the nurses can do nail care at some facilities.

For the job postings, the pay range is so darn wide. Hard to say at where they will have your salary starting.

In terms of wound care “boards”, anyone know if the VA gives a slight bump to your salary if you have any wound care certifications? Apparently they do for ABPM or ABFAS.
 
I guess one thing that’s nice is the nurses can do nail care at some facilities.

For the job postings, the pay range is so darn wide. Hard to say at where they will have your salary starting.

In terms of wound care “boards”, anyone know if the VA gives a slight bump to your salary if you have any wound care certifications? Apparently they do for ABPM or ABFAS.

No clue. I'd doubt it though, usually its just "you are board certified" you get a bump. Not 5 bumps for 5 certifications.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Among MDs, there is the saying "if you've seen one VA, you've seen one VA." I would tend to echo that.

Just like IHS (where I work now), some are probably fantastic VA hospitals and VA Pod depts, and some might be dreadful. I agree that a lot of the jobs posted aren't really available... a lot go to transfer docs from other VA/IHS/etc but had to be advertised/interviewed openly as a formality. They will take Navtive Americans from that area > Native Americans not from that area > Vets from that area > Vets not from that area >>> anyone else. It says that flat out on the cover page of the IHS and VA applications.

As I see it (again, each place is diff DPMs, diff staffing, diff funding, diff leadership, diff ortho relationship, diff ER relations, etc etc):

Pros:
-fairly good hours, fairly predictable hours
-call schedule typically reasonable (unless you get understaffed, then you will be on call a ton until DPM spot gets filled... see below)
-fairly secure jobs (also a bigtime downside, see below)... a lot of barriers to entry or getting rid of you
-below avg salary but decent dependable income when you figure in benefits... incl student loan help if IHS or a bit larger salary if VAMC,
-wider scope of practice than most non-govt hospitals

Cons:
-seems everyone wants to be an administrator and take days off for meetings, create meetings and committees, block their schedule, etc (since pure salary)
-relatively little control of your staffing, marketing, supplies, Rx formulary, DME, etc (much like many MSG and hosp jobs)
-OR days can be painfully slow turnovers when you are accustomed to private
-takes for-ev-er to get/start/transfer the job or fill a position of need (doc, wound RN... even secretary, assistants, etc)
-some very low trained or lazy staff/docs/admins at some locations... sometimes bordering on incompetent (and insanely hard to get rid of them... they just bounce around to/from other depts in the building or to/from other govt hospitals... essentially untouchable if veteran, native amer, seniority, etc status)
-easy to get complacent and fall way behind on standards of care and innovations over the years if you don't self-start by reading and seeking good CME aggressively. Even at VAs that have a residency, most are not very high level residencies and your colleagues are overall less likely to be go-getters than private or hosp/MSG (either became that way or were that way all along)

...all in all, if you have a positive attitude, you will do well anywhere. It is all a learning experience. You have to find what works for you. If you do govt work, do yourself a favor, check your ego, see your patients and do cases, and stay the heck out of any administration role. Ever 😉
 
Last edited:
Agree with above. The pay structure for docs tend to incentivize having titles, being in committees, publishing or giving talks. You don’t get a bonus for seeing more patients or doing good patient care. Not a bad thing for a new grad if you can get a job there cus you’ll be fed patients to see right away and get quick experience.
 
Agree with above. The pay structure for docs tend to incentivize having titles, being in committees, publishing or giving talks. You don’t get a bonus for seeing more patients or doing good patient care. Not a bad thing for a new grad if you can get a job there cus you’ll be fed patients to see right away and get quick experience.
I think that this is individual VA facility dependent. At my VA facility, provider productivity is part of my bonus incentive structure, along with the incentives for being on VISN or National committees, publishing, virtual visits (VVC, e-consults, etc...), etc...
 
I think that this is individual VA facility dependent. At my VA facility, provider productivity is part of my bonus incentive structure, along with the incentives for being on VISN or National committees, publishing, virtual visits (VVC, e-consults, etc...), etc...
I don't like when people use that word...
 
Remember this is a government job with the VA. Yes people do work 9-5 in a government job except if you are an over achiever and aspire to be the head of the VA hospital someday then you bust your ass and work more than the stipulated hours of 9-5.
I think that this is individual VA facility dependent. There are some VA Podiatrists that take call for the service and end up working well beyond the 8:00 - 4:30 (typical tour of duty). Most of us that take call do not get compensate extra for it. There are VA Podiatrists that do not take call and just work your typical "9 to 5" hours.
 
Curious..... Given this is a government job, what is the typical timeframe for applying... interviewing... and being offered a job?

Also, I read that market pay can increase based on board certifications, journal publications, etc... any estimate how much that can add to the overall market pay?
Market pay for Podiatrists at the VA varies by local area and by individual VA facilities. When VA Podiatrists were switched over to Physician payscale, there were some VA Podiatrists that got their salaries bumped up quite a bit (> 250K ) due to market pay and others only got measly 10K market pay added to their old salaries. After chatting with several VA Podiatrists, it seems that the market pay is very arbitrary between the various VA facilities.
 
That's interesting. Do you think they are goin off "local" market? I always assumed that market pay was based on state or national data.
 
Saw a job posting today for VA podiatrist in the midwest starting from 160k-220k salary.
Podstar fails to mention there's also an opening in Amarillo Texas - a town famous for the Big Texan - which features a 72 oz steak challenge, free if completed. Now the pay is listed at $110 to $225K but even if you only start at $110K - add that free steak on every day and I think this opportunity speaks for itself.

EDIT: And there's that George Strait song. It just keeps getting better.
 
Pretty sure all the recent listings are just formalities (2 week listings). The only real recent listing (within the last 6 months or so that I recall) was at Mountain Home, TN (they received 84 applications for 1 spot).
Especially since the passing of the Mission Act, I think the VA is pretty tough to get in to. It helps if you know someone in already.
 
Last edited:
Pretty sure all the recent listings are just formalities (2 week listings). The only recent listing (within the last 6 months or so that I recall) was at Mountain Home, TN.
Especially since the passing of the Mission Act, I think the VA is pretty tough to get in to. It helps if you know someone in already.
For some of the past DPM jobs i’ve seen it’s open to pretty much anyone to apply... so I guess they already pick someone from “within the system” before posting?
 
For some of the past DPM jobs i’ve seen it’s open to pretty much anyone to apply... so I guess they already pick someone from “within the system” before posting?
I think so. I just looked at the Amarillo listing and they are going to stop taking applications after 50. Never seen that before:
 
How is the variability so high for pods. Even for these W2 positions, I’m hearing anywhere from 110k to 275k. Does kaiser really pay 275k? What gives?
They all list an incredibly wiiiide range. Example:
https://www.ihs.gov/sites/ohr/theme...ts/paytables/2020/IHS-T38_Pay_Ranges_2020.pdf

It is largely up to the govt facility (esp HR), your supervisor, founded on rates of your peers there, etc. As you see above, the ranges are so wide that they could theoretically pay a Cardiology supervisor doc or chief of Ortho less than a FP new hire if they wanted... and if the docs would accept the contracts. It is very situational and regional to allow for variance in COL and ease or difficulty recruiting. In most places, each specialty probably has its docs in a fairly close range unless one of them does a lot of admin stuff, is hyper-productive, has ridiculous seniority, or possibly brown-noses the supervisors with success. Again, it is all relative to their local peers; one place with cheap COL might have the average OB making 200k where another across the state in a high COL metro has none in that same specialty start under 275k. Who knows?

...Just remember that the tallest blade of grass gets cut first, though... in VA or MSG or PP or anywhere, it not always wise to angle for raise after raise if your productivity doesn't back it up and a new hire could do what you do for much less. You never know when your supervisor or the bean counters might change over or change philosophy from the old "buddy system" to "what have you done for me lately?" Again, govt VA or IHS can be great jobs, but it is not usually the best place to be if you are the type who likes to check job listings, count your RVUs religiously, peep MGMA the minute it comes out, and ask all of your friends what they're making every month or two 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess one thing that’s nice is the nurses can do nail care at some facilities.

For the job postings, the pay range is so darn wide. Hard to say at where they will have your salary starting.

In terms of wound care “boards”, anyone know if the VA gives a slight bump to your salary if you have any wound care certifications? Apparently they do for ABPM or ABFAS.
Hi, I will complete residency training this June and will be working at a VA as a surgical pod in the midwest starting at 200k. I believe this is high for being fresh out. I currently do not know any recent graduates who are working at the VA now so I cannot compare our salaries.
 
Hey all,

I am an incoming 1st year podiatry student and currently applying for scholarships. The Veterans Health Administration (VA) are giving out 4 year scholarships and am currently applying to it. Per the agreement, accepting 4 year full ride scholarship will require you to work for the VA Hospital for 6 years (1 year of scholarship = 1.5 years service) after residency. I looked at the current VA salary table and it shows that the starting salary for fully pledged, new residency grad podiatrist will be at 107K.

Do you think it's worth it to take this deal or just do the loans and grind trying to payback while earning higher salary in the private sector? (Of note, my school's tuition is 46k per year (184K for 4 years). Taking federal loan per year (45K) and current interest rate is 6.8%.

How is the work climate working in the VA as a podiatrist? Any benefits? Cons?

Thanks!
Hi,

I'm currently a 3rd year and accepted a VA position in the midwest for 200K starting salary (market pay $91k + salary 109k). I wish I had known about this VA scholarship. Wah wah. Benefits are great and includes: 26 days PTO, all paid holidays, paid sick leave, CME $1000 (which isnt too much), retirement benefits (will match 5%), health insurance, etc. You only need a medical license from ANY state and do not have to get a new license if you move to another VA which is very convenient. They do not pay for your licensing fee and such. No relocation reimbursement. Overall, great opportunity!
 
Hi, I will complete residency training this June and will be working at a VA as a surgical pod in the midwest starting at 200k. I believe this is high for being fresh out. I currently do not know any recent graduates who are working at the VA now so I cannot compare our salaries.
You may not know the answers to this since you haven’t started yet, but do you think you will get enough variety and cases for ABFAS being at a VA? Will you be getting foot and ankle trauma or does ortho take that?
 
Hi,

I'm currently a 3rd year and accepted a VA position in the midwest for 200K starting salary (market pay $91k + salary 109k). I wish I had known about this VA scholarship. Wah wah. Benefits are great and includes: 26 days PTO, all paid holidays, paid sick leave, CME $1000 (which isnt too much), retirement benefits (will match 5%), health insurance, etc. You only need a medical license from ANY state and do not have to get a new license if you move to another VA which is very convenient. They do not pay for your licensing fee and such. No relocation reimbursement. Overall, great opportunity!
PGY3 IM here... I heard about that 'market pay' thing from VA attendings when I rotated at the VA. What is it? I looked at a couple VA IM attending salary since it's public domain and they were all low ~120k+, but these attendings told me that they make well over 200k+/yr. Maybe they don't report the 'market pay'...
 
You may not know the answers to this since you haven’t started yet, but do you think you will get enough variety and cases for ABFAS being at a VA? Will you be getting foot and ankle trauma or does ortho take that?
Honestly, I do not know for sure but I think so? It's a small VA with no ortho or pod residents so both ortho and pod departments are small. I will be the only podiatrist and possibly the only one there doing ankle cases. I interviewed with the chief of surgery who is an orthopedic surgeon and he will occasionally do ankle stuff only because they dont have a podiatrist who currently does them now and he's also not F&A trained.
 
PGY3 IM here... I heard about that 'market pay' thing from VA attendings when I rotated at the VA. What is it? I looked at a couple VA IM attending salary since it's public domain and they were all low ~120k+, but these attendings told me that they make well over 200k+/yr. Maybe they don't report the 'market pay'...
I hope these two pictures are helpful. So my salary is a little above step 1 pay grade. The market pay will vary depending on experience, certifications, articles published etc. Obviously, I have no experience since i'm still in residency and on my CV I had three articles published and no board certifications yet. My salary is probably a little higher than the normal for fresh out podiatrists at a VA because they need someone that can do ankle/rearfoot cases.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 2.25.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 2.25.23 PM.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 292
  • c1f44983-5fa5-469a-b072-67affa4249ee.JPG
    c1f44983-5fa5-469a-b072-67affa4249ee.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 317
Honestly, I do not know for sure but I think so? It's a small VA with no ortho or pod residents so both ortho and pod departments are small. I will be the only podiatrist and possibly the only one there doing ankle cases. I interviewed with the chief of surgery who is an orthopedic surgeon and he will occasionally do ankle stuff only because they dont have a podiatrist who currently does them now and he's also not F&A trained.
Sounds like a great set up, congrats!
 
Hi,

I'm currently a 3rd year and accepted a VA position in the midwest for 200K starting salary (market pay $91k + salary 109k). I wish I had known about this VA scholarship. Wah wah. Benefits are great and includes: 26 days PTO, all paid holidays, paid sick leave, CME $1000 (which isnt too much), retirement benefits (will match 5%), health insurance, etc. You only need a medical license from ANY state and do not have to get a new license if you move to another VA which is very convenient. They do not pay for your licensing fee and such. No relocation reimbursement. Overall, great opportunity!
Apply for EDRP once you start too
 
Apply for EDRP once you start too
Am i eligible? It says its for positions that are hard to filled. I asked HR and they said i didnt qualify since it EDRP wasnt listed in the job announcement section.
 

Attachments

  • EE13C811-CBD8-4D7B-B1D8-E8560566D66C.png
    EE13C811-CBD8-4D7B-B1D8-E8560566D66C.png
    293.4 KB · Views: 255
Am i eligible? It says its for positions that are hard to filled. I asked HR and they said i didnt qualify since it EDRP wasnt listed in the job announcement section.
That’s a bummer. I only have a small sample size but most of the folks I know are enrolled in edrp. The max used to be 24k per year I think it’s in the 40s now.