Vanderbilt (full tuition scholarship) vs Hopkins (~70% tuition aid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinogirl99

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I feel very lucky to be in a position to choose between two wonderful schools. A little background about me, I am very interested in psychiatry as well as public and community health. Both of these are about a 2 hour plane ride from my family as I’m from the Southeast.

Vanderbilt:
Pros-
  • Full tuition!
  • 1 year pre-clinical
  • Pass/fail clerkships
  • Great weather. From the south so I’ve never experienced a true winter.
  • Everyone I talk to seems to really enjoy Nashville
  • Seem to have a huge focus on wellness and students seem really fun and friendly

Cons-
  • 1 year preclinical may be a little too fast-paced and overly stressful
  • I believe they have AOA before residency apps
  • I think people often match back to Vanderbilt/the south and I really would like to live in California ultimately

Hopkins:
Pros-
  • Name and prestige
  • Huge public health opportunities
  • AOA after residency
  • 70% tuition covered by aid

Cons
  • Have never really been to Baltimore but I know the weather will be typical Northeast winters
  • Safety??? Someone posted a very concerning post on the Hopkins thread about a classmate being robbed at gunpoint in their own home...
  • Worried about intensity/gunner vibe
  • H/HP/P/F clerkships (as of right now)

Hopkins will end up being about $80k more over the 4 years just for tuition. I’m not 100% sure how much the cost of living will be different between the two schools. Lots of people have been pushing me towards Hopkins for the name and opportunities but I am worried that people will be more intense and less friendly than what I have seen from the Vanderbilt students so far. Would appreciate any thoughts or insight ❤️

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely Vandy (imo). I thought AOA was awarded after the match, or at least that's what I gathered from my interview. But even if it's not, would definitely say that P/F clinicals is a way bigger plus than AOA after the match.

Match lists are very largely based on preference. A lot of people are matching at Vanderbilt/the South because they *want to*, not because they cannot match elsewhere.

I personally do not believe there's enough prestige gap between Vandy and Hopkins to justify paying over $80k more. And you're certainly not gonna have any issue matching in psychiatry from either school.

And again, wouldn't underestimate how dope P/F clerkships will be. You tough out the first year (which is also P/F ofc) and then legit spend the rest of the time not having to worry about being graded.

Also, Nashville is freaking awesome. Choose Vandy lol

Reactions: 2 users
Since you're not interested in a competitive residency and value a more chill environment, I'd go with Vanderbilt. There are folks where I think an additional 80k to go to JHU would be worth it, but I don't really see it here.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you could pick either in this case and it is justifiable. Go with your gut.

Go with Vandy, in addition to free tuition you get to enjoy BBQ and hot chicken :)

Reactions: 1 users
During one of the socials students said that AOA would be gone by our class. Might be nice to confirm with faculty/admin but the students seemed pretty confident

Awesome “dilemma” to be in.
Good for you.

Med school is subjective enough as it is and anything you can do to reduce it is helpful.

Vanderbilt with its P/F seems the way to go.

You will love your career no matter what school but honestly, as I personally love psychiatry and PH, I would go to Hopkins. You will have more residency location options and the gunner vibes should not affect your decision because there are gunners everywhere, you will find your people. With regard to clinical grading, your psychiatry residency will only care about psych rotation grade so I wouldn't even worry about clinical year grading too much in comparison with the opportunities in clinical exposure, patient diversity, research and community engagement that you will get at Hopkins (plus there's ample funding for you to pursue these opportunities). I don't personally know Vandy as a strong public health school but Hopkins definitely is, so you will have access to great mentors as well.

80K is not THAT significant in the large scheme of things once you're a doctor. But this is a personal factor.