VCOM Class of 2011!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you psychbender for the info. I appreciate your opinion and your time u put into it.

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding the proposed new testing format of a midterm week and finals week, I think it is much better than more frequent exams for the simple fact that it promotes better longterm learning of the material. You will be forced to study all along and will no longer be able to cram the night before the exam and still expect to do well. All frequent testing does is allow for the short term learning of facts that can simply be spat back out on a test and be forgotten until the final. Granted that your grade depends on only two tests, but that just gives the necessary motivation to study all along. I'm currently a MS III/IV at VCOM and I wish they had done this for us, the stress level of the first two years would have been much less. Good luck all on finals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your point of perspective. I for one do agree on what u r saying, but for others, it might not be an advantage. This new testing method will be more efficient in preparing us for the boards.

I am sure there will be quizes thak will keep one on track, plus everything else is interconnected, so you are pretty much repeating the information, but in a different way.

Its all good.

wow thanks psychbender. Good info. That must've taken a while. I think we will have a good class. I didn't know about the mentor and advisor part...pretty cool

About the advisors/mentors thing Mr. Bender mentioned, it really is a variable "program." For instance, I have no idea who my mentors are (neither one of them made any effort to contact me) or my advisor (granted I COULD be more proactive about the latter:)). With that said, some people were taken out to dinner by their mentors, so it really does matter what kind of people are assigned to you.

Secondly, I agree with one of the previous posters about the many tests equating to short term memory vs retention. I do think it will take more long term dedication to the studies with fewer tests, but this can result in better understanding and more long term retention, IMHO.

PS - Block 5 has been the worst so far...amount of work..amount of tests...amount of stress...can't wait for next Tues

Psychbender,

I just got my EMT-I and I was thinking of joining Blacksburg Rescue when I move there in August. Do they have you sign up for certain shifts? If so, is there a minimum number you sign up for per month?

Thanks!

I agree with jsmitty that block 5 is the worst so far. July 3rd can not come soon enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychbender,

I just got my EMT-I and I was thinking of joining Blacksburg Rescue when I move there in August. Do they have you sign up for certain shifts? If so, is there a minimum number you sign up for per month?

Thanks!

I just PMed you.

2010ers...you just wait for block 10 (Revenge of Neuro/Musculoskeletal). I almost want to laugh diabolically, but I think I still have too much sympathy left in me.

They just posted the break schedule in our Vcom e-mail..along with anatomy packets on the 2011 website..

getting closer:eek:

They just posted the break schedule in our Vcom e-mail..along with anatomy packets on the 2011 website..

getting closer:eek:

I know I saw! I move to bburg in exactly a month!! I'm starting to really get my stuff together to move. Looking over anatomy during the summer doesn't sound like much fun. I guess it really is getting close to the date. :eek:

Who here is going through the NAVY HPSP Program? I was going to go through the Army, but decided that the Navy might be a better choice for me.

Who else here is going through HPSP? Just curious

Hopefully my classmates agree, but don't look at the anatomy packets now. Just enjoy this month and make sure you are all set to go in August.

If you want to look at them, wait until the Sunday before Block 2 starts. If I remember right, our first day ever in Anatomy (which is Block 2) we had a mini quiz. I don't even think it counted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with BayRunner. Looking at the anatomy stuff now is useless. Enjoy the summer. We did have a mini quiz on the first or second day of anatomy, but Dr. Anderson counted it as a bonus quiz.

Who here is going through the NAVY HPSP Program? I was going to go through the Army, but decided that the Navy might be a better choice for me.

Who else here is going through HPSP? Just curious

Simpleman, I am currently #7 on the waitlist and am hoping to get in this year on the Navy HPSP. I was a corpsman for 6 years and am currently a Civil Engineer Corps officer (LTJG) in the Navy. If you have any questions about the Navy, I have 11 years of experience, so ask and I will be honest with you.

How stringent is VCCOM on enforcing the dress code?

Varies based on the magnitude of the violation, how many other people in class aren't dressed to code, and who you run into. If you're just coming in for just an hour or two, people are not likely to notice if you're wearing jeans and a T-shirt...just don't go walk up to the dean. Many people occassionally break dress code, rarely does admin care. There seems to be a certain threshold that must be crossed before anyone says anything about it. We get the ocassional "you need to remember to dress according to VCOM dress code, or we'll start enforcing it via Honor Council" message, but they so far haven't done anything (that I know of, at least).

Thanks for the reply, psychbender. I really bristled at the idea of a dress code when I first heard about it, and I was wondering how much of a fight I should make out of it. I hate it when people tell me how I should learn. Has there ever been any major issues with it in the past?

I was wondering the same thing...I have buisness/professional clothes for days but I have like no closed toe shoes, and I was wondering if capri's are acceptable?

Hmm could a female from VCOM help us out please???:eek:

The dress code for the classroom is both more slack and more stringent than when out on rotations. It seemed that when you were in the classroom as long as you made an effort to be business casual you were ok. To different ppl that meant different things. To some females that meant tennis shoes, kaki’s, and a collared shirt. (Note that tennis shoes are supposed to be a no-no). To other females that was open-toe shoes, a pretty skirt, capri’s, etc. I do suggest that you enjoy those open toe shoes now. On rotations they are a complete and absolute no-no (no matter who you see wearing them) b/c of health care regulations and large fines (it would suck to be the reason a location gets fined as a med student).

As far as huge dress code problems, I’m not aware of any. At the beginning of the year there are usually lots of reminders about the dress code and lots of “you know who you are” comments about non-compliant ppl (but I’m not honestly sure they did know who they were). My suggestion is to just accept the dress code, try not to complain when someone is getting away with clothing you think does/should not comply, and try not to be that person getting away with non-compliant clothing.

The dress code is really not that bad. The only class that I know of that you can can have some sort of real punishment for not dressing up is Anatomy. One of the professors brings with her to class our pictures and names and if someone is not dressed up she will take 5% off of your grade. Females can wear open toed shoes as long as they are not flip flops and you can wear capris as long as they are not jeans. Most of the time if you do are not follow the dress code they will just talk to you and tell you to not do it anymore but you do not want to be known as the student that can not follow rules.

Thanks ladies for replying I have no problems with the clothes part since I have a job where I have to dress up daily..I was just wondering about the shoes and if I had to go and buy tons of closed toe shoes..

thank you:D

They talk a little about the dress code here. Open toe shoes should be fine if they're dressy. I need to go out and shop! VCOM Resource Website
I'm trying to decide if I should buy all the books from the list we got or only certain ones.

Whenever you receive the booklist for Block 1, post it on here or send it over. The best I can do is give you my opinions on which books are necessary. I'm sure there will be a few of us that can break down the list to give you a good idea on what you might want to purchase.

The dress code is really not that bad. The only class that I know of that you can can have some sort of real punishment for not dressing up is Anatomy. One of the professors brings with her to class our pictures and names and if someone is not dressed up she will take 5% off of your grade. Females can wear open toed shoes as long as they are not flip flops and you can wear capris as long as they are not jeans. Most of the time if you do are not follow the dress code they will just talk to you and tell you to not do it anymore but you do not want to be known as the student that can not follow rules.

do i understand this correctly to mean that the only class that the dress code is strictly enforced is anatomy? i would imagine that this would be the one class where there would be some slack. due to the organs and bodily fluids, etc.

Whenever you receive the booklist for Block 1, post it on here or send it over. The best I can do is give you my opinions on which books are necessary. I'm sure there will be a few of us that can break down the list to give you a good idea on what you might want to purchase.

Required Booklist for Block 1, 2007

Moore, K. L. and Persaud, T. V. N. (2003). The Developing Human, 7th edition. W. B.
Saunders Company, Philadelphia. ISBN: 0-7216-9412-8

Turnpenny, P. and Ellard, S. (2005). Emery’s Elements of Medical Genetics, 13th
edition. Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN-13: 9780702029172

Young, B., Lowe, J., Stevens, A. and Heath, J.W. (2006). Wheater’s Functional Histology, 5th edition. Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN: 0-443- 06850-X

Smith, Marks and Lieberman (2004). Basic Medical Biochemistry, 2nd edition,. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins. ISBN 0-7817-2145-8

Swanson, Kim and Glucksman. (2006) Board Review Series Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 4th edition. Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 13:978- 0781786249

Swartz, M. (2006). Textbook of Physical Diagnosis, 5th edition. Elsevier Publishing. ISBN
13 9781416003076

Ward, R.C. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, 2nd ed. (2003). Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 0-7817-3497-5

Nicholas, A.S. Atlas of Osteopathic Techniques. (2007). Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens.
ISBN 978-0-7817-6371-4

do i understand this correctly to mean that the only class that the dress code is strictly enforced is anatomy? i would imagine that this would be the one class where there would be some slack. due to the organs and bodily fluids, etc.

cyclegirl isn't talking about the lab portion of anatomy, she's talking about the lecture part. With OMM, we're allowed to dress in lab attire during lecture; this way we just go straight to lab without having to change, but in anatomy we have to be in VCOM dress code during lecture. It's annoying b/c anatomy lecture is right after lunch, where it makes sense to change, but instead we have to bring our lab clothes to class, then change before lab. Doesn't really make sense to me, but some profs like exercising their power.:bow:

Moore, K. L. and Persaud, T. V. N. (2003). The Developing Human, 7th edition. W. B.

Nope

Turnpenny, P. and Ellard, S. (2005). Emery’s Elements of Medical Genetics, 13th

Nope

Young, B., Lowe, J., Stevens, A. and Heath, J.W. (2006). Wheater’s Functional Histology, 5th edition. Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN: 0-443- 06850-X

Maybe

Smith, Marks and Lieberman (2004). Basic Medical Biochemistry, 2nd edition,. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins. ISBN 0-7817-2145-8

Nope

Swanson, Kim and Glucksman. (2006) Board Review Series Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 4th edition. Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 13:978- 0781786249

Didn't have, might be useful.

Swartz, M. (2006). Textbook of Physical Diagnosis, 5th edition. Elsevier Publishing. ISBN
13 9781416003076

Maybe

Ward, R.C. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, 2nd ed. (2003). Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 0-7817-3497-5

NO!!!!!

Nicholas, A.S. Atlas of Osteopathic Techniques. (2007). Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens.
ISBN 978-0-7817-6371-4

That's new...might be nifty.

Remember that all books you don't buy are available in the library for you to photocopy.

Moore, K. L. and Persaud, T. V. N. (2003). The Developing Human, 7th edition. W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia. ISBN: 0-7216-9412-8 -- Don't bother. The professors notes are great.

Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics, 12th edition. Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN 0443100454 -- Don't bother. The professors notes are great. This book is from England. Which annoys me on how they spell things (colour, humour, flavour),because I am a nerd like that. This is America!

Wheater's Functional Histology, 5th edition. Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN: 0-443-06850-X -- Personal opinion is don't bother because the professor gives you plenty of picture slides on his powerpoints, but some people said they liked the book for the extra pictures (there are slides on your tests)

Basic Medical Biochemistry, 2nd edition,. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins. ISBN 0-7817-2145-8 -- The professor is great, there is no need for this book. If you are worried about biochem, buy the BRS book.

Board Review Series Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 4th edition. Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 13:978- 0781786249 I would get this book, not only for a quick reference to lecture material, but I'm sure it will be used solely for board study in the future.

Textbook of Physical Diagnosis, 5th edition. Elsevier Publishing. ISBN
13 9781416003076 I bought this, but have never used it yet. It seems to be an ideal book during rotations. I'm sure this book will be used big time, but not in year 1.

Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, 2nd ed. (2003). Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 0-7817-3497-5 No way. Some professors reference this book, but they also tell us this book poorly needs to be updated because it is filled with errors. When (and if) you ever need it, go to the library to look at it.

Atlas of Osteopathic Techniques. (2007). Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 978-0-7817-6371-4 New book, so I have no idea. If the book outlines all OMM techniques, I'll probably even end up buying it.

This is a shorter list than we had last year. No microbio or immunology? Whenever you guys have microbio, purchase Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple. This book is 110% essential.

Thank you VCOM current students for the information regarding the dress code and the booklist. All 2011ers appreciate your inputs and support.

Hey guys!! A few more weeks..:D

The Block 1 schedule is up on the VCOM website..and I think everyone will be pleased..I am..

take a look..:idea:

I looked at your 1st block schedule and you guys are lucky. I guess the changes that have been made really do lower the stress level. 2010 had class in the afternoons and we also took immunology 1st block.

Hey! I made it in at the last minute (just found out this week!)

Thanks to all of you who gave me advice and hoped and prayed for me.

My SO is from Virginia and so he and his family went to Blacksburg and found us a place.... are most of you already there? Tomorrow is my last day of work and then I'll probably be moving there in a week. I can't wait to meet everyone!

Also.... where did you get the book list?

My SO is from Virginia and so he and his family went to Blacksburg and found us a place.... are most of you already there? Tomorrow is my last day of work and then I'll probably be moving there in a week. I can't wait to meet everyone!

we got the booklist via email from the school. with you being a very recent acceptance, there may be a few days before they get your account set up. if you need to know anything specific until then, just let me know. i will do my best to help. congratulations by the way.

Congrats.

I want to welcome you all to the VCOM family!!!!

hey guys, i cant open the block 1 word file on the vcom website.....it says that the file is corrupt......is there anyway i can view it in a different format...

Thanks

Congrats!!!! Yeah...I know you really wanted this..glad to have a classmate who really wants to be there..see you soon.

Congrats on your acceptance....we are all glad to have you among us.

hey guys, i cant open the block 1 word file on the vcom website.....it says that the file is corrupt......is there anyway i can view it in a different format...

Thanks

nevermind, it worked on another computer, but not mine.....i am happy with the schedule.....at least we get time to study..

Current students at vcom tell me that they are in class all the time and get a small amount of time to study on their own, but now, we got more time :)

awesome!!!!

nevermind, it worked on another computer, but not mine.....i am happy with the schedule.....at least we get time to study..

Current students at vcom tell me that they are in class all the time and get a small amount of time to study on their own, but now, we got more time :)

awesome!!!!

I definitely like the schedule. Out at 12, can't beat that. I'll have time to get a little exercise in and study for a good amt of time. :)

I looked at your 1st block schedule and you guys are lucky. I guess the changes that have been made really do lower the stress level. 2010 had class in the afternoons and we also took immunology 1st block.

can you expand on the changes that were made? i am just curious what is different and what prompted the changes (feedback from students, etc.)

I tried to attach our schedule from last year but it says the file is to large. If you send me your vcom e-mail address I will send it to you.

Edit: Actually I just posted it on the 1st year blog website. Go to http://www.vcomdo.com/classroom1/

Block 1 always starts out nice and easy. Block 2 is generally when you get kicked in the crotch for the first time. Once anatomy lab is added (block 3), you can usually say goodbye to your afternoons. Second year, is much easier, especially since I've heard that Path has become largely self-study (was for most of us, anyway) with weekly meetings. The trend overall, though, seems to be to decrease length of time actually in class (it's about damn time), so maybe things will be even easier for you guys, and subsequent classes.

Ok, back to the pit that is COMLEX studying for me.

DON'T knock yourself out in block 1. It's not worth it.
DON'T worry about the dress code. Just get close enough. Nobody stands there and makes sure that you're following it (well, one person does for anatomy lecture. Not lab. You can wear any OSHA approved clothing IN LAB)
DON'T cheer for Notre Dame.
DO sit in the far back corners. You can sleep there during lectures. Yes, right now it seems shocking to even consider it. But it's the truth. Come blocks 4 and 5, you'll be glad you can lay down in the back and nobody will know.
DON'T open your mouth. The osteopathic world is close. The VCOM family is even closer. Everyone will know if you say something stupid and generally degrading to the school.
DON'T be "that guy", who asks questions which don't challenge the professor, and are more for your own self-righteous attention whoring.
DO relax.
DO remember that an A and a C will both get you through to the next level.
DON'T freak out if you fail an exam
DO try harder if you fail an exam
DO practice OMM outside of lab maybe once every two weeks for blocks 3 and up. You need to know every ortho exam they teach to you.
DON'T confuse "the south" and "the country". Blacksburg is "country". Greensboro is "southern"
DON'T start reading right now
DO study bones over the break of block 1 and 2
DON'T listen to upperclassmen on "this prof is cool, this one's a bitch". Everyone perceives everyone differently.
DO understand that the end of year one is slightly more time consuming than blocks 1 and 2.
DO join professional clubs, even if you aren't interested in the specialty. It's cheap fun.

Don't buy

Turnpenny, P. and Ellard, S. (2005). Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics, 13th
Don't buy

Young, B., Lowe, J., Stevens, A. and Heath, J.W. (2006). Wheater's Functional Histology, 5th edition. Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN: 0-443- 06850-X
Maybe if that's your style, I never used it

Don't buy if you have another biochem book. With Bolin as a new prof (not just Mahaney anymore), who knows

If you buy any biochem book, just get this one and skip the text

13 9781416003076
No

Hell no

ISBN 978-0-7817-6371-4
Could be cool. But check it in the library for the first couple blocks and then decide

Thank you for the information. Its really helpful esp the DOs and Donts. I appreciate your time and efforts in typing this info up.

DO study bones over the break of block 1 and 2

This is ridiculous. Don't do a damn thing over your breaks in Year 1.

Soccergoon likes soccer, enough said. Bring me some orange slices and capri sun's on monday ok? ;) :thumbup:

YOU yourself will find a routine and YOU yourself only knows what feels comfortable. It takes a few weeks to get used to things... but don't worry. You will settle in soon enough.

This is ridiculous. Don't do a damn thing over your breaks in Year 1.

Soccergoon likes soccer, enough said. Bring me some orange slices and capri sun's on monday ok? ;) :thumbup:

As much as it's nice that people will offer advice, sometimes the best advice is from yourself. YOU yourself will find a routine and YOU yourself only knows what feels comfortable. It takes a few weeks to get used to things... but don't worry. You will settle in soon enough.

Agreed. Do NOT study bones over the block 1-2 break. Enjoy the break and don't think about school. You'll have plenty of time teaching yourself most of musculoskeletal anatomy (actually, maybe all now that Dr. McDuffey will be one of your classmates) in block 3. Might as well put it off.

DO hope you get Emily McDuffey at your lab group in anatomy.

We got nailed with a quiz on day one of block 2 on things we were supposed to have studied over summer.

I'm not saying learn everything, but get a rough idea of what's going on. Just as you (are supposed to) review a little bit after a block, for block 2, just get a general understanding of bones. AND JUST BONES. the big ones. not the little tubercles

I just had to revive this thread.....I just wanted to tell future students that VCOM is an excellent schoolllllllllllllllllllllllllll....I love this school. No regrets so far.

I was wondering what happened 2 the thread. It is a good school Im glad I go here. :thumbup: