VCOM Class of 2013!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Books anyone? If anyone is looking to stock up on the majority of your MS-I & II required textbooks (and a lot of the books that you'll REALLY need) early and at a minimal cost -- I have more than 25 textbooks, board review, and question books that I'm looking to move. The books are in varying conditions but most could be rated good to excellent. These books cost several thousand dollars if bought individually over time (as I did) -- and money gets tight in med school, why not start out ahead of the game? With all you've got on your mind it's tough to have the foresight to appreciate this, I'm sure I would have passed if I were in your shoes, but think about it. Send me an e-mail if you're interested and we can talk specifics.
[email protected]
- K.J.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed early this week! It was an enjoyable and informative day at VCOM, I was not nervous and I had three very positive interviews. My interviewers were great, the stress level was low and the other interviewees seemed for the most part to be having a good time.
Now, I keep praying and try not to count the hours until the big day next week. Best of luck to everyone still waiting on answers or interviews. I will be sure to post when I hear something. I hope to be joining you all in the class of 2013!

Make sure you join the Class of 2013 Facebook group once you get the call!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got off of the phone with Bea, and I'm in!

I can't wait to meet everyone.

Good luck if you are still interviewing or waiting for a phone call, I hope you get it.

Is it too late to turn in my secondary for VCOM. I'm from California. What's my chances of getting an interview this late in the process?

Is it too late to turn in my secondary for VCOM. I'm from California. What's my chances of getting an interview this late in the process?

It's a little late in the game for any school, and it's literally too late for a lot of them.

A few weeks ago, we heard from admissions that they had about 50 seats left in the class, but they've gone through at least two round of interviews and acceptance calls since then. You could always call the admissions office and see if there is a point.

Sorry to be kind of a downer. :(

Who knows, though? It's never too late until it's over. :oops:

During my interview the 2012 class pres. said that he didn't interview until March because he applied so late. You might have a shot.

I just was wondering if anyone new what to do next as far as paperwork goes. I've sent in my deposit and don't know what to do next.

The secondary application deadline is not until Mar. 16th so the answer is no as far as is it too late. For me, the most important part of this process was to remain optimistic. I interviewed on 1/27 and my interviewer told me that if the class is full, then it is possible to be offered a spot on the wait list or even a spot in next years entering class. It is just my opinion, but I believe that if you get everything in and contact the admissions office and express to them a solid reason why you got your application in Feb. as opposed to November (ex. I had a 22 on my first MCAT and took the January MCAT and scored a 30 so I really wanted to apply this cycle), then I believe they will at least review your app. for a potential interview. The admissions office is great at VCOM, give them a call and I am sure that they will be able to guide you in the right direction.

I just was wondering if anyone new what to do next as far as paperwork goes. I've sent in my deposit and don't know what to do next.

Next step (as far as I can tell): Go to www.vcom.vt.edu/2013 look on the left hand side of the page and open the precheck instructions pdf. Follow said directions, complete and pay for the background check. When the background check clears you will eventually hear from Admin. You will then be given a VCOM email address through which most contact will be made. If you have already done your taxes, get the FAFSA filled out and talk to financial aid.
Also, it is a good idea to make sure you get all your vaccinations updated and include any that VCOM specifically requires.
Have fun.

I just sent off my deposit this morning. Can't wait to join all of you this August!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed yesterday 2/23 and it went better than i could have ever imagined?!?! The interviewers really didnt ask questions, but made it so conversational like we were friends? This school seems amazing though, missions minded, outreach focused, and very friendly like myself..i really hope i get in when they call this thursday!!! soooo stressed........

Hello fellow classmates! I cannot wait to meet everyone.

Does anyone know what the housing market is like in Blacksburg/Christiansburg??? I mean, is it important that I find something before summer starts, or will there be plenty of good housing available early to mid summer?

I'm from out of state and would like to see what I rent before I make a rental commitment, but don't know when I will be able to do that.

I just interviewed yesterday 2/23 and it went better than i could have ever imagined?!?! The interviewers really didnt ask questions, but made it so conversational like we were friends? This school seems amazing though, missions minded, outreach focused, and very friendly like myself..i really hope i get in when they call this thursday!!! soooo stressed........

My interviews were like that too. All of my 3 interviewers felt like I had a handle on the academic requirements, so we talked about random things.

The first guy talked to me about gas prices and interstate routes from GA to VA.

The second lady and I talked about some ethical issues (which admittedly is more interview centric).

The last lady and I discussed...well...not much. It was very light and conversational.

I' sure it depends on the interviewer's style, but your case isn't odd to me. Good luck!

Thanks a lot maldabrroc777....i hear thursday and am ANXIOUS!! This school is awesome!!...

Hello fellow classmates! I cannot wait to meet everyone.

Does anyone know what the housing market is like in Blacksburg/Christiansburg??? I mean, is it important that I find something before summer starts, or will there be plenty of good housing available early to mid summer?

I'm from out of state and would like to see what I rent before I make a rental commitment, but don't know when I will be able to do that.

clownDOctor, a third year called me last week to welcome me to the school and I had asked her the same question because I too am out of state and concerned. She said that June would be a good time because a lot of the places clear out then... I'm sure sooner would work too but she said it is not a necessity to secure it immediately. Hope this helps.

Thanks flyfella023. I received a call too, but was at work. I need to call her back.

OMG!!!! Just missed a call from Ms. Smartt! Does that mean I'm accepted? Do they call for waitlist or rejections?

OMG!!!! Just missed a call from Ms. Smartt! Does that mean I'm accepted? Do they call for waitlist or rejections?

At the end of my interview day they said that they would ONLY call you if you got accepted...so...CONGRATS!

At the end of my interview day they said that they would ONLY call you if you got accepted...so...CONGRATS!

Thanks for the words of relief. I've been obsessively trying to call her back but can't reach her. Knowing that I'm probably in will keep me from going nuts.

I'm so excited!

Last edited:
Im now apart of the Class of 2013!!! Hope to meet some of you soon!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::D

What threads can i look at for housing? Or is this one ok? I need to look for a place to live...preferably a house with an open room including the cost of bills in its monthly rate?..anyone know of any???

What threads can i look at for housing? Or is this one ok? I need to look for a place to live...preferably a house with an open room including the cost of bills in its monthly rate?..anyone know of any???

Megan, in admissions, can put you on the listserv for housing opportunities.

That said, we have a fairly active housing thread in the FB group - VCOM Class of 2013. Check it out.

There are a lot of current VCOM students floating around SDN too, and they are all wonderful about giving advice on housing.

I found a lot of useful information about apartments on the VCOM thread under pre-osteopathic medicine. It was pretty deep into the thread, but I just searched for "housing" on each page until I found it. Sorry, I don't remember what page it was on.

But the best thing is probably emailing Megan, like has been said before. Or, of course, join the facebook group!!

Maybe someone can help.... my wife just got hired in Roanoke and we are coming down for accepted students day and hope to put a deposit on an apartment while we are there... my question is does anyone commute from the Roanoke area or does everyone live in Blacksburg/Christiansburg? Also, are there areas of Roanoke that are unsafe? Unfortunately I was unable to see that area during my interview visit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Im going to send in my deposit this next friday, will i be able to obtain an email account to get on Megans housing list to begin looking for a roomate to live with??? I feel soooo late in the game here........HELP! or, any guys not have a place to stay yet??? I was thinking of some houses on Craigs list that include rent, utilities, cable, internet, phone in their monthly note to keep to our budget with the studet loans we take out.....

Abro.

I just recently sent in my final check and also emailed Megan. She said that we will get an email with directions about getting on the housing list and lots of other information when they receive the check. Good luck with finding a roommate!

Maybe someone can help.... my wife just got hired in Roanoke and we are coming down for accepted students day and hope to put a deposit on an apartment while we are there... my question is does anyone commute from the Roanoke area or does everyone live in Blacksburg/Christiansburg? Also, are there areas of Roanoke that are unsafe? Unfortunately I was unable to see that area during my interview visit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Two or three of my classmates commuted from Roanoke/Salem every day for the first two years. I did the opposite for most of years 3 and 4. The drive can suck, but you get used to it. If you're looking for a place in the Roanoke area, I'd actually suggest living in Salem.

yup, i second psychbender! acutally, there is about 6 people that i know that commute from the salem/roanoke area. Its very doable...and yes, live in salem...close to school and cheaper in housing that roanoke itself...(btw, salem is only a couple of miles outside roanoke)

Great... thank you both for the info!

Congratulations all you 2013'rs! Here's a link to a townhouse that is for sale... great for a young couple (w/ or w/o kids) or 2 roommates looking for lots of space.
755 Oak Tree Blvd. Christiansburg, VA (only 7-8 minute drive to VCOM) MLS # 100942
3 bedroom
2.5 bathroom
w/ a partially finished basement
Colloquially referred to as "VCOM Heights" (you'll have fellow VCOMers on the same road which is actually very nice!)
Price just reduced to $162,000.
OPEN HOUSE Saturday 3/21 1:30-3:30!!
540-808-6257 (ask for KJ) for more info
Go to www.teamlinkhome.com and look under SEARCH LISTINGS and click "New River Valley" then use the MLS number to bring up the details on the house!! There is also an awesome virtual tour under "Top Home Tours" -- it's the first one listed!

Hey all,

For anyone who is coming to the accepted students day this weekend : Mallory and I will be at the Starbucks on Friday at 5pm, if you all want to come hang out. We were planning on getting a group together and getting some dinner/exploring the area and whatnot. It would be a nice chance to meet everyone before the actual event!

Hope to see you all there! If anyone is planning on coming and would like my phone number so that you can find us, just PM me and I will try to get back to you ASAP.

So I was wondering what the 2013ers are doing now before we all meet each other and start our new lives.

this thread is mighty quiet. Where is the vcom love??

Just moved to area!! Can't wait to start!!!:D

there we go lets get this thread started back again. What day do you guys start school?? Where is everyone living? I will be moving out of my 1 bedroom at crossing at knollwood but apparently my apartment is taken already because I tried to get my move out date extended and that didnt work.

I believe our first day is Aug. 12th (orientation I think)... I will be living in Salem and commuting to Blacksburg so hopefully I won't go crazy or miss out on anything!!

Well that sounds about right, maybe orientation starts aug 12 and class on the 17th? Orientation only lasts a few days. I take Step I aug 12 aaaaaaah. But its going to be great (when its over). Dont study before you get here just relax while you can. When you start really think about doing a medical mission trip they are sooo worth it. Ive been on two the first I went on december of my first year so think about it!

Quick question...does anyone know if each class has a syllabus with notes in it? Or is it all powerpoint notes? Thanks!

for the most parts its all powerpoints except for histology we have powerpoints with pictures and a word document with lecture notes

So, I was wondering if we by our medical supplies through the school. If so is it mandatory that we do so?

So, I was wondering if we by our medical supplies through the school. If so is it mandatory that we do so?

u r not required to purchase equipment. However, there will be a couple of companies that come by and offer their products at a reduced VCOM special rate ex: Welch Allyn company.

When you are practicing for your Physician-Patient clinical scenarios, the school has the equipment for you to practice with.

on a side note, we have a fuily functioning cafeteria with a coffee shop on the 2nd floor lounge. You guys are so lucky.

u r not required to purchase equipment. However, there will be a couple of companies that come by and offer their products at a reduced VCOM special rate ex: Welch Allyn company.

When you are practicing for your Physician-Patient clinical scenarios, the school has the equipment for you to practice with.

on a side note, we have a fuily functioning cafeteria with a coffee shop on the 2nd floor lounge. You guys are so lucky.

Like with food for purchase? Not just those vending machines that were there in October?