VCOM Class of 2013!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah except they don't sell LEAN LATTEs ..... yet!!!! haha google what a Lean Latte is. : )

Members don't see this ad.

So, I was wondering if we by our medical supplies through the school. If so is it mandatory that we do so?

Unless you are HPSP, and thus getting reimbursed by the government, don't bother getting most supplies (besides a good stethoscope).

The vending machines aren't as good as when the ladies actually prepared over-priced food for the cafeteria. Ahh, memories...

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are HPSP, and thus getting reimbursed by the government, don't bother getting most supplies (besides a good stethoscope).

The vending machines aren't as good as when the ladies actually prepared over-priced food for the cafeteria. Ahh, memories...
We just got an overpriced cafe back, though! Opened on Monday! It's starbucks-esque... maybe not quite as good.

Hi, I've been wondering a few more things about my next year at VCOM

1) Is the academic calendar posted somewhere? If not, does anyone have any idea of what it'll be like, or could post the past year's calendar?

2) If disimbursements come twice a year, can I decide how much to take out two different times-I really don't think I'll need 26,500$ for living expenses-really ten grand less seems more than enough for me, but it'd be nice to take out more than what I think I need first semester and then use that to judge how much to take out second semester.

3) How much time did you current VCOMers leave Blacksburg in a year?

1) http://www.vcom.vt.edu/curriculum/calendars.html

2) Yes, you can take out whatever you want!

3) Alot....u will have a lot of breaks in between blocks, and a good summer break between 1st and 2nd yr...after that, no breaks==> BOARDS! good luck next yr...u will enjoy it.

Hi, I've been wondering a few more things about my next year at VCOM

1) Is the academic calendar posted somewhere? If not, does anyone have any idea of what it'll be like, or could post the past year's calendar?

2) If disimbursements come twice a year, can I decide how much to take out two different times-I really don't think I'll need 26,500$ for living expenses-really ten grand less seems more than enough for me, but it'd be nice to take out more than what I think I need first semester and then use that to judge how much to take out second semester.

3) How much time did you current VCOMers leave Blacksburg in a year?

If you pay back "extra" money within 3 months of disbursements, you have no penalty, no interest, nothing. Paying back is super easy - take a check to the financial aid department. That's it. So, what I did is take out the max, then figured out how much I would actually need, then paid back the excess after 2 and a half months. I'm officially $10k less in debt than some people :)

If you pay back "extra" money within 3 months of disbursements, you have no penalty, no interest, nothing. Paying back is super easy - take a check to the financial aid department. That's it. So, what I did is take out the max, then figured out how much I would actually need, then paid back the excess after 2 and a half months. I'm officially $10k less in debt than some people :)

Thanks so much guys!

I know most of you all already have had housing, but just in case, and for those coming off the waitlist, I have a room for rent in a beautiful townhome on Sheliah Court in Knollwood Commons - walking distance, just 0.3 miles from VCOM, lots of fellow classmates nearby.
Hardwood floors on main level, tile bathrooms, and laundry room with washer/dryer included. Access to Knollwood amenities, pool, workout room. Gas heat, central air, all appliances. $650/month + 1/2 utilities. I'll be a 2nd-year-to-be and have a sweet 4 yo Siberian husky - sorry, but the landlord has set the limit at 1 pet. If interested, PM me.
Pictures available:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tnaguit/321SheliahCourt?feat=directlink
Enjoy your summer and see you all in August! :)

Last edited:
I know I received an email from VCOM about the Dell EEP discount but I can't seem to find it. Anyone else have it? I was looking to purchase my laptop soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey future 1st years... Today was our last day of class and we are now graduating to the 2nd year class :) It's so exciting. Time has flown! Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads up on an update from the dean today. Apparently, we are going to be moving to an integrated testing schedule. So every other Monday we're going to have a single integrated test (anat, phys, pharm, path, etc) instead of having tests spread out through the week! It sounds pretty good because hopefully this will allow us to get out earlier in the year and have more time to prep for boards. Also, we'll be building up our stamina for 4-5+ hour tests. Overall it was a great meeting and it really seems like a lot of the bugs in our curriculum are being worked on actively. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Summer, here we come!!!

Hey future 1st years... Today was our last day of class and we are now graduating to the 2nd year class :) It's so exciting. Time has flown! Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads up on an update from the dean today. Apparently, we are going to be moving to an integrated testing schedule. So every other Monday we're going to have a single integrated test (anat, phys, pharm, path, etc) instead of having tests spread out through the week! It sounds pretty good because hopefully this will allow us to get out earlier in the year and have more time to prep for boards. Also, we'll be building up our stamina for 4-5+ hour tests. Overall it was a great meeting and it really seems like a lot of the bugs in our curriculum are being worked on actively. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Summer, here we come!!!

Hey, thanks for the info. That's good to know...after reading all of the FB statuses during testing blocks. Will OMM be on those tests, or will that still be separate? Will practicals change in any way?

Hey, thanks for the info. That's good to know...after reading all of the FB statuses during testing blocks. Will OMM be on those tests, or will that still be separate? Will practicals change in any way?
Honestly I'm not sure... that specific question wasn't really asked. Sorry!

So I already posted this on the pre-DO site just wanting some feedback from some current students....

I am getting married Dec. 19 which is right during finals of block 2 this year. I emailed Dr. Brian Hill who said I could possibly take exams early, but wasn't really clear...

Just curious if anyone has had to take exams early or late at VCOM b/c of other events and if they were easy to work with.

Also, i was accepted Dec 08 and called as soon as I was accepted to make sure this wedding date would be fine and if not if VCOM would work with me and they said yes so that is why we chose this date...

So I already posted this on the pre-DO site just wanting some feedback from some current students....

I am getting married Dec. 19 which is right during finals of block 2 this year. I emailed Dr. Brian Hill who said I could possibly take exams early, but wasn't really clear...

Just curious if anyone has had to take exams early or late at VCOM b/c of other events and if they were easy to work with.

Also, i was accepted Dec 08 and called as soon as I was accepted to make sure this wedding date would be fine and if not if VCOM would work with me and they said yes so that is why we chose this date...
Yeah, admin is pretty understanding. You should be able to take exams early. Block 2 isn't all that hard either. I've had lots of friends who have changed around exam schedules due to important circumstances.

Does anyone know the link for the booklist? I can't seem to find it on the VCOM Class of 2013 website.

Does anyone know the link for the booklist? I can't seem to find it on the VCOM Class of 2013 website.

They emailed it out yesterday to our student email accounts:

Required Booklist for Blocks 1-4, 2009

Turnpenny, P. and Ellard, S. (2007). Emery’s Elements of Medical Genetics, 13th edition. Elsevier Churchill Livingstone. ISBN 978-0-7020-2917-3

Coeppen, B. and Stanton, B. (2008). Berne and Levy Physiology, 6th edition. Elsevier.
ISBN 978-0-323-04582-7

VCOM Medical Terminology, an e-text only available at vcommedterm.com. Caduceus
International Publishing.

Young, B., Lowe, J., Stevens, A. and Heath, J.W. (2006). Wheater’s Functional Histology, 5th edition. Churchill Livingston. ISBN: 978-0-443-06850-8

Moore, Keith L., and Dally, Arthur F. (2009). Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 6th edition. Lippencott, Williams and Wilkins. ISBN 978-0-7817-7525-6

Rohen, JW, Yokochi, C., and Lutjen-Drecoll, E. (2006). Color Atlas of Anatomy, 6th edition. Lippencott, Williams and Wilkins. ISBN 0-7817-9013-1

Lieberman, M. and Marks, A. (2008). Basic Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach, 3rd edition. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins. ISBN 078177022X

Gordis, L. (2008). Epidemiology, 4th edition. Saunders/Elsevier Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4160-
4002-6

Andreason, N.C. and Black, D. W. (2006). Introductory Textbook of Psychiatry, 4th edition. American Psychiatric Publishing. ISBN: 1-58562-272-9

Ward, R.C. (2002). Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, 2nd edition. Lippencott, Williams and Wilkins. ISBN 0-7817-3497-5

Kimberly, P.E. (2006). An Outline of Osteopathic Manipulative Procedures,
KCOM Press. ISBN 0967133319
*** The OMM club sells this text on VCOM’s campus ***

Andreoli, T.E, Carpenter, C.J., Griggs, R.C., and Benjamin, I.J. (2007). Cecil Essentials of Medicine, 7th edition. Saunders/Elsevier. ISBN 978-1-4160-2933-5

Murray, Patrick R., Rosenthal, Ken S., and Pfaller, Michael A. (2009). Medical Microbiology, 6th edition. Mosby. ISBN 978-0-323-05470-6

Moore, Keith L. and Persaud, T.V.N. (2008). The Developing Human, 8th edition. Saunders. ISBN 978-1-4160-3706-4

Kumar, Vinay, Abbas, Abul K., Fausto, Nelson, and Aster, Jon. (2010). Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, 8th edition. Saunders. ISBN 1416031219
***This text is available on-line through the VCOM library***

Klatt, Edward C. and Kumar, Vinay. (2009). Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology, 3rd edition. Saunders. ISBN 1416049304

Klatt, Edward C. (2010). Robbins and Cotran Atlas of Pathology, 2nd edition. Saunders. ISBN 1437701701

Male, D., Brostoff, J., Roth, D. and Roitt, I. (2006). Immunology, 7th edition. Mosby Elsevier. ISBN 0323033997

Chamberlain, Neal R. (2008). Medical Microbiology & Immunology: The Big Picture, 1st edition. The McGraw-Hill Companies. ISBN 978-0071476614

Manan, L. Kathleen and Escott-Stump, Sylvia. (2008). Krause’s Food and Nutrition Therapy, 12th edition. Saunders. ISBN 978-1-4160-3401-8

Hi! Can any upperclassmen let us know which books we should definitely buy as well as any books that they never used? I am on a very fixed budget and any money I can save makes me happy! Thank you

I wouldn't buy ANY of those books.... I would get rapid review for pathology... maybe one of the anatomy books (we got netter's for free). Then get BRS for physiology. School is overpriced as it is... those other books are close to useless unless you are struggling big time in one of the classes.

I wouldn't buy ANY of those books.... I would get rapid review for pathology... maybe one of the anatomy books (we got netter's for free). Then get BRS for physiology. School is overpriced as it is... those other books are close to useless unless you are struggling big time in one of the classes.

Really? Do classes ever have assigned readings or anything like that which would make the book necessary?

Really? Do classes ever have assigned readings or anything like that which would make the book necessary?

No. Don't buy the books, unless you get them reimbursed (military). BRS, Baby Robbins (+/- Goljan Rapid Review), and a random pharm text will get you through the first two years just fine.

No. Don't buy the books, unless you get them reimbursed (military). BRS, Baby Robbins (+/- Goljan Rapid Review), and a random pharm text will get you through the first two years just fine.

Cool. Sounds good to me. I was going to focus on getting second-hand board review books and sort of ignore the textbook list, so that makes me feel better.

Cool. Sounds good to me. I was going to focus on getting second-hand board review books and sort of ignore the textbook list, so that makes me feel better.

yep! Follow his advice.... I think they are required to have a "required" book for each course so then most people go crazy and get them all right away... good thing I was cheap and waited! haha

to those of you saying not to buy ANY of the "required" books:

how did you study in undergrad? did you not use books then either. I am just trying to determine if the books are really just not necessary/useful, or if it depends more on the type of studier that you are?
I am sure it has at least a little to do with the latter, but I would love opinions!

Thanks!

to those of you saying not to buy ANY of the "required" books:

how did you study in undergrad? did you not use books then either. I am just trying to determine if the books are really just not necessary/useful, or if it depends more on the type of studier that you are?
I am sure it has at least a little to do with the latter, but I would love opinions!

Thanks!

Well, I'm in your boat, but the reason I'm not buying them all is precisely because of my study habits and such. I NEVER opened a single textbook in college, but I wasted a ton of money on them. I used PPT, class notes and the internet to study.

Dont take any of our (upper classmen) opinions as gospel guys. Im in the class of 2012 and I dont think we were even assigned some of the books that are listed above. So how would we know whether or not they are helpful?

With that said- I agree you probably do not need to buy any of them haha. Robbins is accessible through the library so you can read you can get it that way. Other than that I would consider getting Moore for anatomy, and possibly the Rohen book to help for practicals. I also liked to read the intro and summary of the chapters in the biochem book- but I dont think it is worth it to buy it just for that.

Welcome class of 2013!!! I am a LECOM student on rotation in Blacksburg and I am also a 2LT in the Army National Guard. If anyone is interested in supporting fellow American citizens as a physician and wants to learn about military stipends, commitments, etc. during medical school, please email me at [email protected] and I would be happy to call or meet you to discuss the benefits! I will be in Blacksburg, VA until August 20.

Thank You and Best Wishes for your medical career!:)