VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found out on Thursday as well...I'm a member of the Class of 2013!!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey VCOM students, does the school usually cancel class due to light snow? I have an interview next Monday and the forecast calls for snow showers that day. I read on the VCOM website that interviews would be postponed if classes are canceled. I only ask this because here in Georgia, one snowflake will shut down the entire state.

Last edited:
From what the faculty and students said VT/VCOM rarely shut down d/t snow <6". You should be good to go...Goodluck! Don't worry the process is SUPER laid back.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what the faculty and students said VT/VCOM rarely shut down d/t snow <6". You should be good to go...Goodluck! Don't worry the process is SUPER laid back.

Thanks. That makes me feel a little better about the interview, though the weather could make my trip to LMU-DCOM a little tougher afterward.

Last edited:
Hey VCOM students, does the school usually cancel class due to light snow? I have an interview next Monday and the forecast calls for snow showers that day. I read on the VCOM website that interviews would be postponed if classes are canceled. I only ask this because here in Georgia, one snowflake will shut down the entire state.
We still haven't gotten a snow day this year. The above poster is correct, anything less than 6 inches would be considered nothing of concern.

Hi guys,
I was put on a pre-interview hold recently. This is the email that I received..

"Thank you again for taking the time to complete your application to VCOM. We recently reviewed your file for an interview. Our committee decided not to immediately proceed with your file and grant you an interivew. They are, however, interested in your candidacy and asked that your file be placed on hold for further review."

I went through the thread for more info and I was wondering if anyone else could offer anymore feedback on it. Is this a type of waiting list? Do a lot of people get placed on it? Do I still have any chance of getting an interview this late? Is there anything else I can do to help my chances? If I write them a letter of interest, should I just send it to admissions or is there a specific person I should contact? Ahh I'm getting pretty nervous =/ Any feedback would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

Hey sorry to hear that! Usually schools do that because they are still interested, however, you were not as strong as some of the people who they are currently interviewing, accepting, etc.... Basically they do not want to deny you out right because they may change their mind and interview you at a later date, especially if people start to withdraw their acceptances and decline interviews.

All is not lost, and plenty of people do get interviewed and accepted who were in the "hold" pile so don't give up and keep going to interviews even if VCOM is your first choice. :)

Hi guys,

"Thank you again for taking the time to complete your application to VCOM. We recently reviewed your file for an interview. Our committee decided not to immediately proceed with your file and grant you an interivew. They are, however, interested in your candidacy and asked that your file be placed on hold for further review."

I went through the thread for more info and I was wondering if anyone else could offer anymore feedback on it. Is this a type of waiting list? Do a lot of people get placed on it? Do I still have any chance of getting an interview this late? Is there anything else I can do to help my chances? If I write them a letter of interest, should I just send it to admissions or is there a specific person I should contact? Ahh I'm getting pretty nervous =/ Any feedback would be much appreciated!! Thanks!
The best thing to do at this point to keep working on and updating your application OR visit the school.

If you continue to send them updates on recent shadowing experiences, ECs, grades, etc, it shows them you would really like an interview.

If you visit the school, it shows a genuine interest in the school and will allow them to put a face and personality with the file.

Hi guys,

Hey MissD I private messaged you about being put on the pre-interview hold list. Check it out. Good luck.

Hi guys,

I would write a letter of interest and let them know how much you look forward to an future at their school. Make is short and professional. I was on the "hold" list too until I wrote a letter of interest and now I am going to be part of the class of 2013 so it can't hurt.

Anyone at VCOM currently live at the Cascade Pointe Condos? I think that the units look nice enough online, but I was wondering about the staff and if the grounds are friendly to cats that like to go outside at times. Also, are the walls paper thin, and are the units filled with mostly professional/graduate students?

Any information would be great.

Congratulations to all of you on your acceptance to VCOM, and good luck to you all still holding your breath.
I am curious, how long does it typically take between VCOM's receipt of a complete applicant file (primary, secondary, supporting docs, etc.) and their decision about an interview? I heard it usually takes up to two weeks is this correct? I am hoping for a phone call in the near future, trying not to get too anxious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey MissD I private messaged you about being put on the pre-interview hold list. Check it out. Good luck.

Could you private message me about the pre-interview hold list as well? I have been on it for almost a couple months now. Thanks.

Congratulations to all of you on your acceptance to VCOM, and good luck to you all still holding your breath.
I am curious, how long does it typically take between VCOM's receipt of a complete applicant file (primary, secondary, supporting docs, etc.) and their decision about an interview? I heard it usually takes up to two weeks is this correct? I am hoping for a phone call in the near future, trying not to get too anxious.

I received an email saying that my application was complete on 12/2. Then, I received an interview invite on 12/8. It might be a little slower as the application season gets longer.

Hey is anybody moving to VCOM with there wife, fiance or girlfriend? I'm moving down with my long-term girlfriend and I'm hoping there's some other girls that are in her shoes---being dragged by their man to med school. She's pretty nervous and I keep explaining to her that everything will be fine and that they'll be other women in her shoes and that she'll make friends. Anybody else have this going on?

my best friend will be attending VCOM with his fiance (will be married by the time school start) unless he gets into NYCOM. I have heard from someone that a lot of the students that come to VCOM are either married, engaged, or are in a relationship. But this probably applies to most medical schools across the country considering the average starting age is often 24 to 26.

I got the call today! I have an interview and I couldn't be more excited. It was day eight from complete application to interview invitation, the awesome people in admissions are consistent and fast. I will update after the interview. I hope to join you in the fall.

There's some stat they told us during orientation that something like 1/3 (probably more) are married when they start school at VCOM, and something like 60% (again probably much more) are married by the time they finish - I can't remember the specific numbers now with all the other pertinent info in my head. There are a number of spouses, and serious significant others, girlfriends, boyfriends who have "followed" their significant other here to Blacksburg. Lately it seems like not a week goes by without at least 1 person getting engaged too. So, no she won't be alone at all in her situation.

Toughest part for the other person, in my opinion, is finding a job between the current economy and the limited fields down here within driving distance.

There's some stat they told us during orientation that something like 1/3 (probably more) are married when they start school at VCOM, and something like 60% (again probably much more) are married by the time they finish - I can't remember the specific numbers now with all the other pertinent info in my head. There are a number of spouses, and serious significant others, girlfriends, boyfriends who have "followed" their significant other here to Blacksburg. Lately it seems like not a week goes by without at least 1 person getting engaged too. So, no she won't be alone at all in her situation.

During my interview day, Megan kept saying that her overall plan was to get all the single VCOM students to marry each other and stay in Blacksburg. :p Hey, if she wants to play med. school matchmaker, I am all for it.

I got the call today! I have an interview and I couldn't be more excited. It was day eight from complete application to interview invitation, the awesome people in admissions are consistent and fast. I will update after the interview. I hope to join you in the fall.

That's awesome earthtrekker! Just be yourself and let them know how much you love VCOM. Good luck!

Thanks Spooner. I will be interviewing this coming Tuesday (Jan. 27) and I can't wait.

Hey MikTheGipper,

My fiance will be relocating with me in August. She is currently in the Vanderbilt NP program and will have to drive back to Nashville once a month over the next year to finish, but she is extremely excited and looking foward to meeting new people that I will be in class with... No worries I have a friend who is a MSI this year who is married, and she gets along with all his classmates just like she was in their class, he said you get along with your classmates like a family anyways (love some hate some....j/k) Hope this helps

So I am trying to decide what laptop to buy for this coming year. I kind of want a tablet but I am not sure. If there are any current student who can explain further what the note taking situation is like during class and what they have or wish that had that would be great...

Also what are you 2013'ers taking with you as a computer??

Exam week is this coming Monday-Friday, so responses from current first years, may or may not be limited, depending on the amount of procrastination that occurs.

Pre-interview hold:
Anyway, I was placed on the preinterview hold in November as well (with a 35 MCAT), and ended up getting a call for an interview in February or March (by that point I had forgotten about VCOM, and figured they had forgotten about me, so I didn't write a letter of intent or interest, or call, or anything), was waitlisted (by the time I interviewed the class was full, so they told me upfront that I was interviewing for a waitlist position), and was then accepted. So there's definitely still hope. And emails, letters, calls (in the appropriate amount, frequency - maybe no more than once a month) can't hurt, unless done inappropriately.

Tablet computers:
As for computers, use what you're comfortable with - it really doesn't matter. Some people have standard laptops, some use Microsoft One Note with which you can take notes on ppts more easily (or something like that, I don't use it), some have tablets, some have tablets and don't use the tablet function. We have free unlimited printing in the library, so some people bring their laptop to class, and just take handwritten notes on their pre-printed ppt. Some only print their ppt and bring it to class, because they get distracted by internet with an open laptop.

Oh and don't buy Microsoft Office, you will get a free copy of the 2007 version during orientation.

Last edited:
is there a website or faculty member that helps with housing/roommates?

is there a website or faculty member that helps with housing/roommates?
Yes, send Megan an e-mail and ask for more information on the Housing / Roommates listserv. You can also submit a short Q & A to her about your living preferences (pet preferences, tidiness, etc) so you can hopefully match up with someone better suited for you.

Sweeeeeeet we got a new website! It just went live today. I did find a bug though and reported it to the webmaster (only for Firefox).
www.vcom.vt.edu
FINALLY, the old one was really dated.

I was pretty excited about the new website, too. It looks sleek. :D

Also, I am super excited for accepted students day - who all is going?

hi.. could you please pm me about the pre-interview hold list. .i am also in the same situation... received the same email few months ago.

thanks much

do you know when is the first day of classes for your class?? I am lazy to look for it! haha

They haven't told us an exact date, yet, but last year's orientation started on August 13th. I'm guessing it will be around the same time this year as well.

I was pretty excited about the new website, too. It looks sleek. :D

Also, I am super excited for accepted students day - who all is going?

I'll be there. Did you think that it was weird that the subject of our email said "accepted students day on April 5th," but in the email and on the website it said March 21st?

According to aacomas the first day of orientation is Aug 10

I'll be there. Did you think that it was weird that the subject of our email said "accepted students day on April 5th," but in the email and on the website it said March 21st?

It is March 21st - Mallory emailed to make sure. The April 5th thing was just a typo.

According to aacomas the first day of orientation is Aug 10

I thought last year was Monday the 16th... I sure hope that this year's orientation starts Monday the 17th. It would give me some time to enjoy my trip across the country.

So I am still looking for a laptop, and was curious about the macbook...

I was wondering if the Mac OS X was compatible with the powerpoints and notes given at VCOM...

I realize the VCOM website advises not to use Mac OS, but it is simply because of the lack of technicians... Any advice!?!??!

I was wondering if the Mac OS X was compatible with the powerpoints and notes given at VCOM...

I realize the VCOM website advises not to use Mac OS, but it is simply because of the lack of technicians... Any advice!?!??!

If you get Apple's Boot Camp program you can run Windows on any Macbook with an Intel chip. So there's another option if the VCOM material doesn't work on OS X. I'm thinking about doing this if I end up buying a Macbook for school next year.

ur life will be so much easier if u dont bring a Mac!!! seriously...i have nothing against them, but believe me, when it comes to ppt and word files, and other programs you have to use (ex:Anatomy DVDs), the last thing you need to worry about is ur computer unable to open them. And yes, our technicians at school are a bit ignorant about computers in general!!! dont complicate their lifes with a Mac! their simple answer is "call Mac and they will help you"

I have a HP tablet that I use all the time!!! I love IT...i used it for Histology, Imaging courses (CT, X-rays, MRIs), highlighting ppt slides while in lecture.....its perfect and its much cheaper than when i bought it!

its up to you bro! good luck

I got a Mac and I love it. It runs power pts with no trouble. You can dl Open office, which is the freeware version of Microsoft office - it is pretty much exactly the same (I was using it on my linux system before and never noticed much difference). Or you can get an Office equivalent preinstalled when you buy it (which runs all documents just fine as well). Also, like it was already mentioned, you can run windows on a mac if you really want.

Personally, I prefer Mac by far over my PCs. Several of my friends have Macs as well and they have never had problems with them (re: no Blue screen of Death). I think OS is a great operating system - much cleaner than windows vista. It is really up to personal preference, though. I would just try some Macs out and see if you like it or not.

Pretty much anything that runs on windows will run on Mac nowadays - they have become popular enough that I am sure you wouldn't have trouble. I had the same concerns before I bought mine, though, so if you have more questions maybe you can talk to a techy friend or something (I got advice from my MIT computer science major friend :p).

Orientation last year was Wednesday, August 13. Classes started Monday, the 18th.

I thought last year was Monday the 16th... I sure hope that this year's orientation starts Monday the 17th. It would give me some time to enjoy my trip across the country.

I have a macbook pro and I love it but I have had a couple of big issues. I purchased the microsoft office suite for mac when I bought my laptop and it works flawlessly in all areas except one. When I create powerpoint presentations on my macbook they are great, but when I try to modify them on a windows vista equipped pc all the images are gone. In the place of the images is a notice that quicktime must be installed or configured or something to that effect. This is at my college, I have no idea if VCOM assigns many powerpoint presentations but it would be mighty embarrassing to create a great presentation only to plug it in at class and have all the images gone.
Now, I just save the links to the images on the slides where they belong when I am home and then look them up at school, copy/paste them in. Aside from that the only issue would be once in a rare while I come across a disk that is not compatible.
If I had to do it again I would not hesitate to buy a mac again...I love mine. No paying for antivirus every year, no crashes, no viruses, no Microsoft!
That being said, I would call the school and see if there are any required software packages that will not run on a mac, that may help you decide.

Probably...this coming 2nd years class comes back Monday, August 3rd, and I know that last year's 2nd year class was here for at least a full week before us first years even came to campus for orientation.

So... maybe Wednesday the 12th and Monday the 17th this year? That will work really well.

I guess it's a good thing that I told the apartment complexes that I'll be moving mid July. I'm starting to freak out...August is not that far away!

ps. How many people are planning on going to Accepted Students Day?

I guess it's a good thing that I told the apartment complexes that I'll be moving mid July. I'm starting to freak out...August is not that far away!

ps. How many people are planning on going to Accepted Students Day?

I'd love to make it down for accepted students day. I'm not 100% sure that I can make it yet but it sounds like it will be a great day. I can't believe school starts in a little over six months. I'm so excited though.

Status
Not open for further replies.