VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to make it down for accepted students day. I'm not 100% sure that I can make it yet but it sounds like it will be a great day. I can't believe school starts in a little over six months. I'm so excited though.

My mom loves roadtrips so I think I'll drive up with her and my sister, otherwise I don't think I can afford it. I'm excited about school in the fall but I definitely need to maximize on my free time this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm super excited about Accepted Students day!

I was talking to Mallory (Maldabrroc777) about maybe planning a SDN/FB group meetup maybe the night before or after the day is over - maybe dinner or something out in Blacksburg? I know we will get to meet everyone during the day, but it would be nice to hang out outside of the school setting, as well.

I am 100% for sure coming to Accepted Students Day!

Cara (Vita) is right; we all need to get together sometime around then and hang out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 100% for sure coming to Accepted Students Day!

Cara (Vita) is right; we all need to get together sometime around then and hang out.

Count me in, and I'll get Sabzi to come too.

I find out tomorrow (hopefully) whether or not I will be joining you all as part of the Class of 2013. If I get good news I will definately be there for accepted students day. Wish me luck. I hope to see you all there.

I'm super excited about Accepted Students day!

I was talking to Mallory (Maldabrroc777) about maybe planning a SDN/FB group meetup maybe the night before or after the day is over - maybe dinner or something out in Blacksburg? I know we will get to meet everyone during the day, but it would be nice to hang out outside of the school setting, as well.

This sounds like a great/fun idea. If I can get down there I'm definitely up for getting together. Hope to see you guys soon.

You got that right roomie...:D

Aww you two are roomies, and Mallory and I are roomies! W00t for SDNers!

Anyway, for those who are interested, I created an event in the facebook group and invited all the members to it. If you aren't on facebook, I will keep this thread updated with info. as we decide what we are going to do. I'm thinking we will go eat somewhere the night before, and then maybe go to a bar or pub afterwards. That way, if anyone wants to make it an early night they can opt out of the after-dinner events.

I can't wait to meet everyone!

Okay, I did some online searching for some places to hang out. There is a pizza place called Firehouse pizza that seems neat - it is downtown (though I couldn't find info. on how big their lobby is). How does having dinner there, then going to the London Underground (pub) afterwards sound?

Can any current students comment on either of these places or suggest good places? Thanks!

firehouse pizza will not accommodate everyone. dunno about london underground, never heard of it. it's probably a better idea to wait and see just how many people you're going to have to make plans for, cuz if we roll with 80+ pre-meds, it's going to be hard to find dinner accommodations anywhere. best bet will probably be a restaurant-slash-bar...it's been a long time, but I remember Sharkey's being a pretty nice place. Could probably break up into several mini-groups for dinner and then just stay there for drinks/roam downtown later. we could just wing it and ask the '12s what they think when the time comes, this thing is almost 2 months away.

Members don't see this ad :)
firehouse pizza will not accommodate everyone. dunno about london underground, never heard of it. it's probably a better idea to wait and see just how many people you're going to have to make plans for, cuz if we roll with 80+ pre-meds, it's going to be hard to find dinner accommodations anywhere. best bet will probably be a restaurant-slash-bar...it's been a long time, but I remember Sharkey's being a pretty nice place. Could probably break up into several mini-groups for dinner and then just stay there for drinks/roam downtown later. we could just wing it and ask the '12s what they think when the time comes, this thing is almost 2 months away.

What can I say? I'm a pre-planner.

Okay so no Firehouse. I guess we can figure it out closer to the date. I don't think everyone will come out the night before, so it probably won't be too difficult to find somewhere to go (bar/pub wise, anyway).

I just got the call. I am going to VCOM!!!

Class of 2013!

Good luck to those still waiting.

Im in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hungover:

I'm in! Yippeee!

earthtrekker, i enterviewed with you on the 27th. i think i sat beside you in the van and asked you about military scholarships!

Congrats to those who got accepted!

I'm in! Yippeee!

earthtrekker, i enterviewed with you on the 27th. i think i sat beside you in the van and asked you about military scholarships!

Congrats to those who got accepted!

Yup, that was me. Congratulations on your acceptance, I hope to see you there.

Congrats to everyone who just found out! I hope I get to meet you all at accepted students day!

Man, there's a lot of ballers on SDN. Congrats on all of the acceptances. Way to represent SDN.

I am definitely going to VCOM to matter what but I would like to know this about current and Alumni VCOM students:

Tell me 2-3 things you don't like about VCOM or wish it would be improved.
Thanks.

Sabzi

in no particular order:
- the disorganization of the curriculum - one example: we've had 4 or so lectures on rheumatoid arthritis, each for a different subject, and all in different months, so they were tested on different exams: RA in Micro back in December, RA in CCC last month, RA in Path this month - and nothing new learned each time
- med ed's disorganization - not posting lectures, not knowing when we have lab, not knowing the lecture schedule: 1st and 2nd years are both about to go on break, and the 2nd years have no clue what their class schedule is like when we get back
-that a number of 3rd year residencies are far away, requiring moving, difficulties finding spouse a new job or leaving him/her behind
- arrangement of curriculum - cardio and respiratory stuff won't get learned at all until 2nd year
- short summer makes it very difficult to find research opportunities, let alone any job to pay the rent during the summer months (short summer also affected this year's 2nd years when picking dates to sit for boards)

I am definitely going to VCOM to matter what but I would like to know this about current and Alumni VCOM students:

Tell me 2-3 things you don't like about VCOM or wish it would be improved.
Thanks.

Sabzi

wow...hokiedo2012...u r cynical....take it easy buddy!!!

first, dont speak on behalf of second years....u dont know what is happening with us exactly and thus u assume the worst and then come and put it on here!

if you are pissed about learning RA for the third time, u r just plain doltish...excuse my language. Medicine is about repitition..so dont complain about being exposed to a subject for 3 times..

while i agree that the new educational system is a bit stupid, this is their curriculum..if you dont like it, deal with it...they are doing their best to help you and your classmates. They want to see all of your class succeed...and you knew about the curriculum change before you came.

Medical Education: i can tell you certainly that for my class, they are doing a fantastic job and everything is posted on time and weeks ahead before class starts. If you didnt find a particular lecture posted, it is because of the clinical professor's tardiness on delivering the lecture, not Med Ed...

Class schedule...YES I DO know what we are covering next block and We did receive the schedule. so before posting anything, make sure your source is correct. There are some idiotic people in my class that like to wine about life and school.

3rd year! i am so laughing at your comment....if you didnt know that before you came here that you were going to move after 2nd yr, thats your mistake for not researching the school properly. Almost all DO schools and some MD schools will make you move for 3rd yr rotations. And the 3rd year rotations are at well reputable locations and have well renowned names. And believe me, VCOM will let you stay in area if you have a significant other, or a family. They will let you do your 3rd year at MRH, right beside the school.

arrangement of the curriculum--like i said, i think ur curriculum's class is out of the norm. Class of 2011's curriculum is excellent and i find nothing wrong with it. Material is being covered in a 3-D fashion!

Short summer--i agree with you. However, regarding boards, we get to have 2 months of studying for board for most of us...others who are taking it earlier, have about almost a month of studying, which is the norm!

i will add something i dont like-----WE NEED ANOTHER PRINTER! haha..u will know what i mean when you get here :D

for everyone who is coming to VCOM, this school is great and will treat you well. I promise. I am happy with my education and almost all my friends in the class are content with VCOM. There will always be the group of cynics in your class that bash whatever comes in their life, even if it is good.

I, personally, love the idea that I get to move around for rotations. I may be biased because my significant other is in another state for law school, so family challenges won't really be a problem for me.

One of the reasons I wanted to go to a medical school in a different region is because I would gain real life experience beyond what I've learned to be the norm while living in Florida and the doctors who I've spoken to who had the chance to move around learned a lot from their experiences.

My only issue is that I have quite a bit of crap that I need to get rid off.

I, personally, love the idea that I get to move around for rotations. I may be biased because my significant other is in another state for law school, so family challenges won't really be a problem for me.

One of the reasons I wanted to go to a medical school in a different region is because I would gain real life experience beyond what I've learned to be the norm while living in Florida and the doctors who I've spoken to who had the chance to move around learned a lot from their experiences.

My only issue is that I have quite a bit of crap that I need to get rid off.

I feel you, there. I am not moving far from where my mother lives (about 2 hours South, in TN), but I like getting to live in new places. That's why I went away for Undergrad and why I am not staying here for medical school.

Then again, I am only 23, don't have a family, and I don't have a significant other to worry about, so I don't mind moving. I'd like to do my fourth year rotations in as many different towns as I can.

I feel you, there. I am not moving far from where my mother lives (about 2 hours South, in TN), but I like getting to live in new places. That's why I went away for Undergrad and why I am not staying here for medical school.

Then again, I am only 23, don't have a family, and I don't have a significant other to worry about, so I don't mind moving. I'd like to do my fourth year rotations in as many different towns as I can.

I am in the same boat with you. I have lived all of my undergrad at home and I feel like it is about time for me to grow up and be more independent. I like to travel and and meet different people. Sometimes I wish I had done travel nursing. (you didn't hear me say that :)).

I have talked to many people and it seems like doing research is only a plus on the resume but not a requirement for many different specialties. What if I don't like to do research and want to spend all of my time studying for med school and boards...etc???

I am asking this b/c it's kind of hard doing research at VCOM with the block schedule.

hey guys, i just got the 'you were not selected for an interview at this time but your file is being placed on hold for further review' email.

does this mean i still have a chance or is this just a friendly way of rejecting me? anybody else in this position and is there any chance of us interviewing? just curious. thanks

hey guys, i just got the 'you were not selected for an interview at this time but your file is being placed on hold for further review' email.

does this mean i still have a chance or is this just a friendly way of rejecting me? anybody else in this position and is there any chance of us interviewing? just curious. thanks

I would read some of the previous posts on this thread because this exact topic has been discussed. There are plenty of people who have been on that same list that you are now on who continued to pursue admissions, contacted VCOM for advice, were granted interviews and subsequent offers of acceptance. Good luck.

I'm just bumping this thread because I am sick of seeing it towards the bottom. :D

Let's start a random discussion: what color is your stethoscope (or what color will you be getting)?

Mine is plum purple!

GO!

"Caribbean Blue" which is deceptive, because it is Teal. I feel like the color name implies something bright blue, but it is dark blue-green...like a lovely sort of algae.

:laugh:

My stethoscope is black and broken, too many rough nights with the rescue squad. Works great as long as I don't try to rotate the head.

Mine is a nice black stethoscope that my sister gave me from her pharm rep days. I guess I better get used to all that free stuff...

"Caribbean Blue" which is deceptive, because it is Teal. I feel like the color name implies something bright blue, but it is dark blue-green...like a lovely sort of algae.

:laugh:

Are we supposed to have a one b4 schools starts? I have never had a stetoscope... :oops:

I was wondering the same thing. Are we to have one before school or any other medical equipment?

Usually, med schools give you a list of supplies, and a stethoscope is on them. You will need one when you start during clinical days. I think diagnostic kits include them, and I am fairly sure most schools require you to have a kit before school.

I could be wrong, but I really wanted my purple stethoscope. :p

What to improve on here.... hmm..

I don't know? It's pretty good here... of course there is some disorganization sometimes, but it happens everywhere from what I hear from my other medschool buddies.

A lot of people complain about anything and everything.... that happens everywhere too.

Good luck next year everyone!

Usually, med schools give you a list of supplies, and a stethoscope is on them. You will need one when you start during clinical days. I think diagnostic kits include them, and I am fairly sure most schools require you to have a kit before school.

I could be wrong, but I really wanted my purple stethoscope. :p

u guys will get one from VCOM engraved with your name on it! be patient!

u guys will get one from VCOM engraved with your name on it! be patient!

But will it be PURPLE?! :laugh:

My Mom got me mine for Christmas (kinda a rite of passage type thing - the passing of the stethoscope from Mama DO to daughter DO student). :p

Last edited:
I just sent off my deposit today. I'm officially part of the Class of 2013!

I interviewed at VCOM yesterday. I was very impressed with all they have to offer. The admissions office might be the nicest group of people I have ever met!!

I interviewed at VCOM yesterday. I was very impressed with all they have to offer. The admissions office might be the nicest group of people I have ever met!!

Hey that's great to hear. Good luck to you. Hopefully you'll be joining the class of 2013. Keep us posted!

Yeah, the admissions office is incredible. Good luck to you (hope you don't go crazy waiting for their decision).

Im going to send in my $1500 deposit this next friday, i just got accepted, so will i be able to obtain an email account to get on Megans housing list to begin looking for a roomate to live with??? I feel soooo late in the game here........HELP! or, any guys not have a place to stay yet??? I was thinking of some houses on Craigs list that include rent, utilities, cable, internet, phone in their monthly note to keep to our budget with the studet loans we take out.....:confused::eek:

Im going to send in my $1500 deposit this next friday, i just got accepted, so will i be able to obtain an email account to get on Megans housing list to begin looking for a roomate to live with??? I feel soooo late in the game here........HELP! or, any guys not have a place to stay yet??? I was thinking of some houses on Craigs list that include rent, utilities, cable, internet, phone in their monthly note to keep to our budget with the studet loans we take out.....:confused::eek:

After VCOM gets your deposit, Megan will send you an e-mail with instructions on how to get on the housing listserv.

Status
Not open for further replies.