VCOM MABS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What was your MCAT score if you don't mind me asking?
MCAT was 498 last year
cGPA 3.47
sGPA 3.36
Scribing in an ER for 4 years, leadership positions held
Cancer research 4 months - present
Leadership positions/volunteering through church and youth baseball

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I called today. I was told the new benchmarks were recently approved, so it’d be another week or two before we got a decision.

Reactions: 1 users
I called today. I was told the new benchmarks were recently approved, so it’d be another week or two before we got a decision.
I keep refreshing the page to see what the new bench mark is

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep refreshing the page to see what the new bench mark is

Same, and I feel like the new requirements should've been implemented before we applied or the next cycle so we could weigh our options from that. Especially if you are on the cusp, but I guess its for the best. lol

Looks like new benchmarks are up! A lot better than what I was expecting:

3.60-3.74496 or abovepositive evaluation
3.75-4.00494 or abovepositive evaluation

Looks like new benchmarks are up! A lot better than what I was expecting:

3.60-3.74496 or abovepositive evaluation
3.75-4.00494 or abovepositive evaluation
Instead of maintaining a 3.4 after meeting the benchmark its now a 3.6 , that sucks...

EVERYONE CHECK YOUR EMAILS I JUST RECEIVED AN ACCEPTANCE

Reactions: 4 users
Guys check your email.

I just got the acceptance email to VCOM's MABS program and I'm going to withdraw soon-ish, so that'll be up for grabs for ya'll lol.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys , I have a question please. Isn’t it possible to get into a DO school with a 496 and no masters. I’m just trying to make a logical decision and not owe so much money lol.

Guys , I have a question please. Isn’t it possible to get into a DO school with a 496 and no masters. I’m just trying to make a logical decision and not owe so much money lol.
The short answer is yes

Same, and I feel like the new requirements should've been implemented before we applied or the next cycle so we could weigh our options from that. Especially if you are on the cusp, but I guess its for the best. lol
I completely agree. Well looks like I may apply now.

Yes but chances are low. I think BCOM and ARCOM are possible based on their average stats but still a long shot

The short answer is yes
So what’s the purpose of this program? Just curious. It just seems a bit tougher(GPA) and more costly than the traditional route. Im still applying regardless but I’m still just weighing my options.

So what’s the purpose of this program? Just curious. It just seems a bit tougher(GPA) and more costly than the traditional route. Im still applying regardless but I’m still just weighing my options.
Gives you another pathway into medical school while preparing you for medical school by having you actually do the classes from 1st year of med school

Gives you another pathway into medical school while preparing you for medical school by having you actually do the classes from 1st year of med school
Oh I got it. Thank you for answering my question. Is this the only one you are applying to. I’m also applying to Drexel. That’s the only other one I know of with a decent requirement.

Actually mine was submitted in September and complete in October. Getting worried lol
I wouldn't worry - they most likely are going to be sending numerous additional acceptances and emails in the coming week or two

Oh I got it. Thank you for answering my question. Is this the only one you are applying to. I’m also applying to Drexel. That’s the only other one I know of with a decent requirement.
TouroCOM

hey Guys, I m former MABS student, please feel free to ask related questions. will try to answer as soon as I can :) overall, great program for those who need good foundation to succeed in medical school. it helped me a lot to be more prepared for med school curriculum.

Thank you very very much. I'm sorry, I have a lot of questions.

1) How rigorous would you say the program is?

2) Even though a great amount of hard work is needed on the part of the students, do you feel that the program (professors/administration) tries its best to help all those in the program do well in order to meet the benchmarks for acceptance to the DO program?

3) How is the class schedule? (including days of class in a week)

4) TouroCOM's masters program operates on a curve-grading criteria, meaning that to obtain an A grade in each exam your score must be a half standard deviation above the average score of the entire class. Does the MABS program use a curved grading scale?

Thank you very very much. I'm sorry, I have a lot of questions.

1) How rigorous would you say the program is?

2) Even though a great amount of hard work is needed on the part of the students, do you feel that the program (professors/administration) tries its best to help all those in the program do well in order to meet the benchmarks for acceptance to the DO program?

3) How is the class schedule? (including days of class in a week)

4) TouroCOM's masters program operates on a curve-grading criteria, meaning that to obtain an A grade in each exam your score must be a half standard deviation above the average score of the entire class. Does the MABS program use a curved grading scale?

I am not who you originally quoted, but I am a current MABS student and figured I could help answer your questions.

1. I would say that even if you have familiarity or have taken the courses in undergrad, overall the program is pretty rigorous. Courses tend to progress quickly and last semester our first exam was on Monday of the second week of the program. The problem for some classes is not that they are necessarily difficult, but rather that they progress is a much quicker manner than undergrad ever did, and getting over the learning hurdle of trying to study effectively in the least time possible so you can ensure you are understanding the material is the hardest part. That being said, you are guaranteed to have at least one exam per week pretty much throughout the entire program, with some weeks having 2 or 3 exams per week. Unless they change the schedule up, fully expect the last 3-4 weeks of your fall semester to have 3 exams per week. The nice thing is that they do not make you come to class the day before an exam.

2. Personally I do believe the staff here want to help and are very considerate of the students struggles. The professors who teach us also teach the medical students, so they do have commitments at the Big House also, but they are all very willing to meet with students between lectures, after class, or whenever they are available to provide additional clarification on concepts that you may be struggling to grasp fully. Typically the trend appears to be that ~50% of the students meet the fall benchmarks in December, so it is very feasible to do, and if you are struggling in a class do not hesitate to speak to the professor. You can definitely tell that they care about us.

3. Aside from the first few weeks of the program where they may only have you coming to class ~3 days a week, the typical schedule is 4-5 days/week of classes, with many of the days ending around noon. The start of the semester is slower paced to try and get students adjusted, but picks up quickly. After about the first month to month and a half classes will be at the 4-5 days/week, but may still end at noon with an occasional day going until 3 or 5pm. Closer to the very end, there may be more days where you are there after lunch between the 3-5pm hours (typically done by 4pm).

4. There is no curve grading for the MABS program, but that does not mean that the classes are any harder. From what I understand with TouroCOM's program, there are a finite number of slots for their med school, but more masters students so people compete. With MABS, if there are 130 people in your class, if everyone meets benchmarks all 130 will be getting accepted. Even without the curve, the classes are doable and the grade you receive is the grade you get. They give exam reviews after exams which are meant for students to see what they got wrong and ask for clarification on a problem and answer choice. Occasionally during these reviews the professors will realize that they put the wrong answer, or had multiple answers that could be correct and will give points back.

Additional info:
I really feel this program has been doing a great job of teaching me material that I may not have known previously, or did not understand incredibly well. It is faster paced than undergrad, and has helped me to get back into the groove of school much better than had I simply applied to medical school straight from undergrad (I was non-traditional). This program is one that will enlighten many students who maybe did well in undergrad, but would have failed med school due to the pacing and amount of information that is thrown at them. I am very thankful that I did this program first even though after I took my MCAT, I could have applied straight to med school because it has helped improve and change my study habits immensely. I will be attending VCOM Auburn this fall unless I get an acceptance elsewhere that is better suited for me due to proximity to family/loved ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I am not who you originally quoted, but I am a current MABS student and figured I could help answer your questions.

1. I would say that even if you have familiarity or have taken the courses in undergrad, overall the program is pretty rigorous. Courses tend to progress quickly and last semester our first exam was on Monday of the second week of the program. The problem for some classes is not that they are necessarily difficult, but rather that they progress is a much quicker manner than undergrad ever did, and getting over the learning hurtle of trying to study effectively in the least time possible so you can ensure you are understanding the material is the hardest part. That being said, you are guaranteed to have at least one exam per week pretty much throughout the entire program, with some weeks having 2 or 3 exams per week. Unless they change the schedule up, fully expect the last 3-4 weeks of your fall semester to have 3 exams per week. The nice thing is that they do not make you come to class the day before an exam.

2. Personally I do believe the staff here want to help and are very considerate of the students struggles. The professors who teach us also teach the medical students, so they do have commitments at the Big House also, but they are all very willing to meet with students between lectures, after class, or whenever they are available to provide additional clarification on concepts that you may be struggling to grasp fully. Typically the trend appears to be that ~50% of the students meet the fall benchmarks in December, so it is very feasible to do, and if you are struggling in a class do not hesitate to speak to the professor. You can definitely tell that they care about us.

3. Aside from the first few weeks of the program where they may only have you coming to class ~3 days a week, the typical schedule is 4-5 days/week of classes, with many of the days ending around noon. The start of the semester is slower paced to try and get students adjusted, but picks up quickly. After about the first month to month and a half classes will be at the 4-5 days/week, but may still end at noon with an occasional day going until 3 or 5pm. Closer to the very end, there may be more days where you are there after lunch between the 3-5pm hours (typically done by 4pm).

4. There is no curve grading for the MABS program, but that does not mean that the classes are any harder. From what I understand with TouroCOM's program, there are a finite number of slots for their med school, but more masters students so people compete. With MABS, if there are 130 people in your class, if everyone meets benchmarks all 130 will be getting accepted. Even without the curve, the classes are doable and the grade you receive is the grade you get. They give exam reviews after exams which are meant for students to see what they got wrong and ask for clarification on a problem and answer choice. Occasionally during these reviews the professors will realize that they put the wrong answer, or had multiple answers that could be correct and will give points back.

Additional info:
I really feel this program has been doing a great job of teaching me material that I may not have known previously, or did not understand incredibly well. It is faster paced than undergrad, and has helped me to get back into the groove of school much better than had I simply applied to medical school straight from undergrad (I was non-traditional). This program is one that will enlighten many students who maybe did well in undergrad, but would have failed med school due to the pacing and amount of information that is thrown at them. I am very thankful that I did this program first even though after I took my MCAT, I could have applied straight to med school because it has helped improve and change my study habits immensely. I will be attending VCOM Auburn this fall unless I get an acceptance elsewhere that is better suited for me due to proximity to family/loved ones.

Thank you so much.
VCOM > TouroCOM

1. I would say that even if you have familiarity or have taken the courses in undergrad, overall the program is pretty rigorous. Courses tend to progress quickly and last semester our first exam was on Monday of the second week of the program. The problem for some classes is not that they are necessarily difficult, but rather that they progress is a much quicker manner than undergrad ever did, and getting over the learning hurdle of trying to study effectively in the least time possible so you can ensure you are understanding the material is the hardest part. That being said, you are guaranteed to have at least one exam per week pretty much throughout the entire program, with some weeks having 2 or 3 exams per week. Unless they change the schedule up, fully expect the last 3-4 weeks of your fall semester to have 3 exams per week. The nice thing is that they do not make you come to class the day before an exam.

Additional info:

Hey, I'm an incoming student. I saw from last years thread that there is a QBank for this program. Did that help at all and can you PM me the link pleassse?

Additional info:

If there is a Qbank as mentioned. I also would be very grateful if you shared it (if you have access to it)

Hey, I'm an incoming student. I saw from last years thread that there is a QBank for this program. Did that help at all and can you PM me the link pleassse?
If there is a Qbank as mentioned. I also would be very grateful if you shared it (if you have access to it)

So I had downloaded the Q-banks when they were given to us on our thread from last year but I no longer have the downloads. TBH, they were completely worthless since the old questions were from the medical school from 2003-2012. I would pull up a document to test my knowledge and have to skip maybe 20 of the 30 questions on a document because they were on topics or material we had not/did not cover. And most of them were specified to the medical school classes such as pathology, which we are not required to know. Most of the professors will give you a practice question bank before each of the exams which are going to be far more helpful and representative of their actual test.

So I had downloaded the Q-banks when they were given to us on our thread from last year but I no longer have the downloads. TBH, they were completely worthless since the old questions were from the medical school from 2003-2012. I would pull up a document to test my knowledge and have to skip maybe 20 of the 30 questions on a document because they were on topics or material we had not/did not cover. And most of them were specified to the medical school classes such as pathology, which we are not required to know. Most of the professors will give you a practice question bank before each of the exams which are going to be far more helpful and representative of their actual test.
Understood. Thank you

How much more difficult would you say the program will be now that you also need a 3.6 in the spring semester to matriculate into VCOM?

How much more difficult would you say the program will be now that you also need a 3.6 in the spring semester to matriculate into VCOM?

Since our class trend followed with past years so far, I would say that meeting the 3.6 in the Fall will probably be the same for the upcoming class. About 50% of the current class met the Fall benchmarks. That being said, I feel the schedule for the fall semester was far more rigorous than the spring semester schedule which contributes to some people not meeting benchmarks. There are tons of students who were super close to meeting benchmarks in fall but were just a few points off, say had a 3.58 but needed the 3.6.

As for maintaining the 3.6 in the spring semester for next years class, I do think it is still doable because the spring semester (at least for us) looks much more reasonable regarding exam scheduling and pacing, so I don't think it would be too difficult to maintain a 3.6 or higher in the spring semester. The benefit is that the overall by the end of the year needs to be a 3.6, so if you demolish fall and get higher than a 3.6, you can afford to get a tad lower than a 3.6 in the spring, as long as your overall still remains 3.6. (I'm making this assumption based on what is currently in place for us since I am assuming they only changed the actually stats needed.)

Since our class trend followed with past years so far, I would say that meeting the 3.6 in the Fall will probably be the same for the upcoming class. About 50% of the current class met the Fall benchmarks. That being said, I feel the schedule for the fall semester was far more rigorous than the spring semester schedule which contributes to some people not meeting benchmarks. There are tons of students who were super close to meeting benchmarks in fall but were just a few points off, say had a 3.58 but needed the 3.6.

As for maintaining the 3.6 in the spring semester for next years class, I do think it is still doable because the spring semester (at least for us) looks much more reasonable regarding exam scheduling and pacing, so I don't think it would be too difficult to maintain a 3.6 or higher in the spring semester. The benefit is that the overall by the end of the year needs to be a 3.6, so if you demolish fall and get higher than a 3.6, you can afford to get a tad lower than a 3.6 in the spring, as long as your overall still remains 3.6. (I'm making this assumption based on what is currently in place for us since I am assuming they only changed the actually stats needed.)

I heard somewhere that there is at least one test every week. Does the school just average up your test grades for individual classes or is it a block structure? Thanks for answering these btw, I can't seem to find much info about this school anywhere else!

Your definitely going to have at least one exam per week with some weeks having 2 or 3. As for your grades, each professor decides how much each exam will weigh towards your final grade for the course (for example for immuno we have roughly the following percentages for weight: 24, 19, 16, 19, 21) and everything is individual classes.

Your definitely going to have at least one exam per week with some weeks having 2 or 3. As for your grades, each professor decides how much each exam will weigh towards your final grade for the course (for example for immuno we have roughly the following percentages for weight: 24, 19, 16, 19, 21) and everything is individual classes.

Thanks and congrats on getting into Auburn! GL with the rest of the semester

On average how many hours a week are you studying?
Do you have time for a social life, exercise, etc?
And financially, were loans sufficient enough to pay for the whole program?

Last edited:
On average how many hours a week are you studying?
Do you have time for a social life, exercise, etc?
And financially, were loans sufficient enough to pay for the whole program?

I maintain an average of 8 hours of sleep a night, and study on average maybe 20-40 depending on what material we covered, what exams are coming up, and what I feel more or less confident in already. Studying hours really depends on how effectively you manage to learn and understand the information. If you can learn everything in 2 hours rather than 4, you've saved 2 hours you can do towards something else like free time or studying for a different class. The number of hours are less important than ensuring that you are doing effective studying when you are dedicating time to studying if that makes sense.

First semester was far more stressful from the start, with the additional anxiety of making sure I did well in order to meet benchmarks so I did not do much besides study. I would rather sit at home and read anyways when I have free time so I didn't really go out and do anything. However this second semester I have started doing some additional volunteering at a few local organizations in my spare time as well as go to the gym more regularly. It allows me to take a step away for mental health.

I took out the max I could in loans which should have been enough if you have reasonable rent and are not spending tons of money on unnecessary things. Unfortunately I forgot to budget what I would spend for other medical school apps since I applied to other schools as well, and that ate up a lot of my funds from the fall semester. But like I said, as long as your rent is reasonable, loans are definitely enough. I would not try to work during this program to make money. It just isn't feasible to be working and trying to pass the courses.

That being said, regarding housing, for anyone who has been accepted already and knows you are going to go to this program and not somewhere else if you get another acceptance, I highly recommend looking for housing now and placing yourselves on waitlists. VTech admitted too many students last year and so there was a housing shortage in the area due to the excess freshman that were coming in with no dorm space left. MABS starts sooner, but students at VTech are already reserving places for the next school year and placing themselves on waitlists.

Reactions: 2 users
I maintain an average of 8 hours of sleep a night, and study on average maybe 20-40 depending on what material we covered, what exams are coming up, and what I feel more or less confident in already. Studying hours really depends on how effectively you manage to learn and understand the information. If you can learn everything in 2 hours rather than 4, you've saved 2 hours you can do towards something else like free time or studying for a different class. The number of hours are less important than ensuring that you are doing effective studying when you are dedicating time to studying if that makes sense.

First semester was far more stressful from the start, with the additional anxiety of making sure I did well in order to meet benchmarks so I did not do much besides study. I would rather sit at home and read anyways when I have free time so I didn't really go out and do anything. However this second semester I have started doing some additional volunteering at a few local organizations in my spare time as well as go to the gym more regularly. It allows me to take a step away for mental health.

I took out the max I could in loans which should have been enough if you have reasonable rent and are not spending tons of money on unnecessary things. Unfortunately I forgot to budget what I would spend for other medical school apps since I applied to other schools as well, and that ate up a lot of my funds from the fall semester. But like I said, as long as your rent is reasonable, loans are definitely enough. I would not try to work during this program to make money. It just isn't feasible to be working and trying to pass the courses.

That being said, regarding housing, for anyone who has been accepted already and knows you are going to go to this program and not somewhere else if you get another acceptance, I highly recommend looking for housing now and placing yourselves on waitlists. VTech admitted too many students last year and so there was a housing shortage in the area due to the excess freshman that were coming in with no dorm space left. MABS starts sooner, but students at VTech are already reserving places for the next school year and placing themselves on waitlists.
Thank you! This is so helpful!

Hey guys ! Congrats on everyone who has gotten in so far - just was accepted last week but haven’t gotten any further details - I went to tech undergrad so I’m familiar with the area and apartments if anyone has questions — also looking for a roommate or two (female) to get an apartment - message me If anyone is interested!

Do you recommend any areas that are reasonably priced, and not too far away from the bluefield campus?

Classes are not on the Bluefield College campus FYI. They are taught in Blacksburg in a classroom rented from Rackspace on Innovation Drive, situated between Virginia Tech and VCOM. So when looking for housing, make sure you are looking in Blacksburg or Christiansburg, NOT Bluefield. :)

Reactions: 3 users
So I applied last week. Is there a portal like PCOM?

Anyone know how many members are on the committee of admissions and how many votes you need for an acceptance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question for current applicants, especially those who have received acceptances/denials. Did you all contact the admission committee on multiple occasions regarding your application and its status? I hear often that "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" but I'm leery that that would be a disadvantage or could backfire. If so, how often did you contact them?

Thanks!

I have a question for current applicants, especially those who have received acceptances/denials. Did you all contact the admission committee on multiple occasions regarding your application and its status? I hear often that "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" but I'm leery that that would be a disadvantage or could backfire. If so, how often did you contact them?

Thanks!
I emailed them once on January 30th respectfully asking to follow up and if there was any potential updates on the decision making process. They never responded to my email specifically but then sent an acceptance email the next day. I don't think it will hurt if you word the email respectfully.

Has anyone received an acceptance after Friday 31st ?? I emailed them at the beginning of this week with no response back

I emailed them once on January 30th respectfully asking to follow up and if there was any potential updates on the decision making process. They never responded to my email specifically but then sent an acceptance email the next day. I don't think it will hurt if you word the email respectfully.
Thanks! Will do.