VCOM vs PCOM waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOin2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I'm starting to drive myself insane with weighing my options for school in the fall and would love some feedback. Here's my deal: I was accepted into WVSOM in September, VCOM in October, and recently found out I am waitlisted at PCOM. I have declined WVSOM. I am trying to decide if it's worth my time to pull all stops and really go for PCOM. So far my experience with PCOM's admissions office has not been great (divided my file into 2 different ones until I pointed out my true last name, letters have been delayed in the mail, somewhat rude phone conversations) so I'd love to hear that they improve once you've been accepted. Price is not a huge issue for me bc either way it's a ton of debt. VCOM would be an easier transition since it's easy to find housing, in my state (altho farther away than Philly), beautiful facilities - but something about PCOM makes me want to fight for it. Any feedback/opinions would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all - I'm starting to drive myself insane with weighing my options for school in the fall and would love some feedback. Here's my deal: I was accepted into WVSOM in September, VCOM in October, and recently found out I am waitlisted at PCOM. I have declined WVSOM. I am trying to decide if it's worth my time to pull all stops and really go for PCOM. So far my experience with PCOM's admissions office has not been great (divided my file into 2 different ones until I pointed out my true last name, letters have been delayed in the mail, somewhat rude phone conversations) so I'd love to hear that they improve once you've been accepted. Price is not a huge issue for me bc either way it's a ton of debt. VCOM would be an easier transition since it's easy to find housing, in my state (altho farther away than Philly), beautiful facilities - but something about PCOM makes me want to fight for it. Any feedback/opinions would be much appreciated!

The consensus on sdn is that you will have more opportunities at pcom which is considered one if not the top DO school.

stick with vcom. pcom is no guarantee, and I hate to tell you that the administration/paper work stuff at pcom gets better, but i cant. stay where you are more comfortable, and closer to home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't you plan on going to VCOM, but hold out for PCOM just in case? I know that they may pull people off the waitlist at the last minute - would you be willing to change your plans and head that way if they did so for you?

In other news, I love VCOM and you will have great opportunities if you come here. I also was turned off by PCOM's staff, but I have no idea if they get any better after acceptance. We have one doctor on faculty who graduated from PCOM and has a similar attitude - I wonder if it is just a North vs. South thing?

Definitely put down your deposit at VCOM, and if PCOM comes around you can reconsider your decision then. And when that time comes, think about where you see yourself practicing. If you're hometown is closer to VCOM and you want to remain in that area, i'm sure VCOM will be a great fit for you. PCOM has a great reputation and a lot to offer, but my primary reason for choosing it was because I see myself working in the Philadelphia area and was attracted to the amazing hospitals all within 15 miles of each other. The only way I see VCOM being a bad fit for you compared to PCOM would be if you want to practice in Philly. VCOM will give you all the opportunities you will need if you wish to remain in the area.

Thanks for the input - I def put down the deposit on VCOM back in December.

My hometown...that's an interesting question...I'm an "oil brat" so I've rarely lived in any place longer than 4 years. I guess I like the locations of PCOM's clinical rotations better though.