VCOM vs WVSOM ADVICE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gek08002

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I could really use some guidance here. I already paid my deposit at WVSOM back in December but I was recently accepted to VCOM-VA and loved it there too. I am so torn! Please help.

Side note: I will be keeping an open mind about what field I want to go into until clinical rotations but as of now I'm interested in emergency medicine.

VCOM:
Pros:
-near VTECH, bigger town, more to do during the little free time we may have, more housing options
-beautiful anatomy lab
-medical missions part of curriculum
-lots of research opportunities with professors
-good comlex pass rates
-wide range of residency placements
-block curriculum with a whole week off after every block
-great overall vibe. Professors were amazing during interview.
-$7k cheaper than WVSOM
-later start date (August 7th)
Cons:
-Strict 80% mandatory attendance policy (less board prep time?)
-Class dress code (last thing I want to worry about is looking good when I'm stressed)
-Very test heavy curriculum (this might be a good thing though to reinforce material)
-Very small library
-the whole medical school is basically one building

WVSOM
Pros:
-Standalone campus. Everyone is just there to learn medicine so more of a tight knit group?
-No mandatory lecture or dress code policies
-Great facilities and a primary care clinic right on campus
-Great school for primary care
-Large library and beautiful new student center
-Amazing bookstore/school store.
Cons:
-very small town so less/more expensive housing options, less to do during little leisure time.
-lower comlex first time pass rates
-teach a very heavy primary care curriculum (will this hurt my chances if I decide to specialize?)
-high tuition for OOS
-clinical rotations mostly just WV (I'm from CT so I want to have the option to go out of state for rotations)
-There's only one small cafe on site that's open a few hours a day (I'm a coffee addict so this was a little disappointing for such a large campus).
-very early start date (July 24th)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro I've seen how you feel about mandatory attendance but aside from that aspect could you give some insight on this??? Thanks!

WVSOM for sure. DO NOT go to a mandatory attendance school.. the fact the have a dress code makes it even worse. Go somewhere where you can post up and study all day instead of having to worry about staying awake in lecture. I know WVSOM has placed people in integrated CT and other competitive things so it can be done, and if you want to do it then its on you to make it happen. I don't think either school gives you an advantage with residencies.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
WVSOM for sure. DO NOT go to a mandatory attendance school.. the fact the have a dress code makes it even worse. Go somewhere where you can post up and study all day instead of having to worry about staying awake in lecture. I know WVSOM has placed people in integrated CT and other competitive things so it can be done, and if you want to do it then its on you to make it happen. I don't think either school gives you an advantage with residencies.

This may sound like a really dumb question but why would you want to miss lecture if you're paying to go to medical school? Are the teachers lecturing to empty seats in schools with no attendance policy since it seems like everyone is against going to class? (I'm really not trying to be sarcastic at all).

This may sound like a really dumb question but why would you want to miss lecture if you're paying to go to medical school? Are the teachers lecturing to empty seats in schools with no attendance policy since it seems like everyone is against going to class? (I'm really not trying to be sarcastic at all).
Because you just dropped six figures to let these people torture you for four years. You should be able to come and go as you please and do things on your own schedule. It's ridiculous that students who are already paying the professors salaries also have to adhere to a schedule that isn't conducive to their learning style just to stroke someone's ego.

Reactions: 4 users
your second sentence of your statement is very true sadly at schools with no attendance policy, but as adults it is best left to us to determine how to study for the courses, many people would rather stay home, and watch lectures at 1.5x speed to save time, but also pause and rewind to better grasp the material

I would definitely take into consideration how you personally learn best. In general, I always found listening to my lectures and taking notes at my own pace to be much more effective in retaining the material. Good luck with your decision!

because I am not an auditory learner, and also have a really short attention span. Also, why would you go to lecture when you would watch 2 lectures in 1.75/2x speed in the same amount of time? Going to lecture DRASTICALLY reduces the amount of time you have to study in the day, especially if you are unable to stay 100% dialed in for the duration of the 4-7hrs of lecture. Just trust me/general consensus.

Reactions: 2 users
because I am not an auditory learner, and also have a really short attention span. Also, why would you go to lecture when you would watch 2 lectures in 1.75/2x speed in the same amount of time? Going to lecture DRASTICALLY reduces the amount of time you have to study in the day, especially if you are unable to stay 100% dialed in for the duration of the 4-7hrs of lecture. Just trust me/general consensus.

So based on this one factor, would you all rule out VCOM?

So based on this one factor, would you all rule out VCOM?

I would. The only way I would attend a school with mandatory attendance over one without is if it was: MD (with) vs DO (without), or Ivy league (with) vs lower state school (without).

I initially went to class, just so that I could figure out the whole "who to study with" thing initially. The the first month of medical school, you will have to force yourself to do this (whether you go the class route or the no class route). However, I found I had to look at the records again after going to class, so I knew it was wasting my time (I knew this would happen even before I step foot in medical school!). Once I had my study group figured out, I just stopped going. My grades did improve for sure.

The point of my post is that even if you are pro-class, you should still choose the non-mandatory attendance. Because if you go to a school were class is mandatory and you don't like class, then you shot yourself in the foot. However, if you realize you do like class and are at school with non-madatory attendance, then it doesn't hurt you at all. So pick non-mandatory every time whether you prefer going to class or not.

I initially went to class, just so that I could figure out the whole "who to study with" thing initially. The the first month of medical school, you will have to force yourself to do this (whether you go the class route or the no class route). However, I found I had to look at the records again after going to class, so I knew it was wasting my time (I knew this would happen even before I step foot in medical school!). Once I had my study group figured out, I just stopped going. My grades did improve for sure.

The point of my post is that even if you are pro-class, you should still choose the non-mandatory attendance. Because if you go to a school were class is mandatory and you don't like class, then you shot yourself in the foot. However, if you realize you do like class and are at school with non-madatory attendance, then it doesn't hurt you at all. So pick non-mandatory every time whether you prefer going to class or not.

I really do appreciate your input and completely understand what you're saying. I'm not crazy about the attendance policy, believe me. But should this really be the ONLY reason I choose WVSOM over VCOM? Are the other pros not enough to trump the attendance policy?

I really do appreciate your input and completely understand what you're saying. I'm not crazy about the attendance policy, believe me. But should this really be the ONLY reason I choose WVSOM over VCOM? Are the other pros not enough to trump the attendance policy?

Well, in terms of clinical education they are pretty much the same. I don't see too many difference in that front. The elective rotations are about the same also (WVSOM has 3 months and VCOM I think has 4 months). However, boards are pretty huge and having the time to learn the stuff well the first year and second will set you up for the boards at the end of those two years. I hate to say it, but I think the non-mandatory attendance is one of the largest tie breakers.

I believe that VCOM has higher first time pass rates than WVSOM, so I don't know that not having mandatory attendance helps WVSOM students succeed on boards over a school with a mandatory attendance policy, per se. I see your point about having more time to study for boards but I'm not sure that success on boards and not being required to attend class go hand in hand necessarily. I don't really see the outcome data to back that claim. But it makes sense for an individual who knows his/her learning style is not productive in a lecture setting.

The tie breaker, I assume, should be: comlex outcomes and match data (specifically diversity of residency placements- I don't want to be limited to primary care if I decide I enjoy a specialty). It would be nice to have some solid feedback on specific pros/cons for each school aside from the mandatory lecture thing.
It sounds like you just want to go to VCOM. If that would make you happier then do it.

Reactions: 1 users
*facepalm* I'm just trying to get honest, thorough input about each school but all I'm getting is this vague "don't go to a school with mandatory attendance"

Because thats all there is... they are two DO schools neither with an overwhelming amount of resources so there is nothing to compare besides location and curriculum. Neither will do more than the other as far as placement or what not so just choose where you will be happiest and make the best of it! If you are happier being confined to a schedule go to VCOM, if you are more loosey goosey and wanna run you own schedule go to WV. Pretty simple.

*facepalm* I'm just trying to get honest, thorough input about each school but all I'm getting is this vague "don't go to a school with mandatory attendance"

Then post in the school-specific threads to hear thoughts from current students at each school. I wouldn't say the advice from current med students in this thread is by any means vague. Why would you want to be forced to sit in class all day while wearing a suit when you could be chilling at home streaming lectures in sweats on your own time? What if you aren't feeling well for a few days and want to stay home? I haven't even started school yet and I totally understand the importance of the independence offered by WVSOM. I'd pick WVSOM, no question.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah. From multiple medical students who are telling you it's the kiss of death. If that doesn't convince you, maybe nothing will. Are you expecting a couple peer-reviewed articles on it or something? It sounds like you just want to go to VCOM. If that's the case, go for it. You do you.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm getting is this vague "don't go to a school with mandatory attendance"

I don't get how that is vague... just for the record, I have seen the WVSOM match lists for the last 6-7 years and yes they do have a lot of PC but they've always randomly have 2-3 stellar matches every year. Think integrated vascular, CT, urology (ACGME) and stuff like that. From talking to current students the school is heavy PC focused but that is mostly a reflection of how they recruit, a lot of their students are PC from day 1. The ones who want to do something competitive actually have good success. I have no idea about VCOM and residencies because I didn't apply there... because of the mandatory attendance...

Reactions: 1 users
ok so i know people are worried about matching into specialties but i shadowed both pc and GI docs who went to WVSOM , i feel like more people go pc route in wvsom because that's what they wanted to do prior to going there. So, it really depends on your own ability, time you spend studying and what interests you for the most part. The thing with VCOM that I also hate was the dressing up part, that is a huge waste of time and you would feel uncomfortable in a suit or a dress all day , just something to think about.

ok so i know people are worried about matching into specialties but i shadowed both pc and GI docs who went to WVSOM , i feel like more people go pc route in wvsom because that's what they wanted to do prior to going there. So, it really depends on your own ability, time you spend studying and what interests you for the most part. The thing with VCOM that I also hate was the dressing up part, that is a huge waste of time and you would feel uncomfortable in a suit or a dress all day , just something to think about.

Thanks for the honest input!