VCU/MCV Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I completely agree! Relax and have a good time. If anyone is wondering, all of my interview questions came from the interview feedback part of this website. There wasn't a single question that caught me by surprise. Good luck everyone! And Pharmlove...this next month is going to drag...being that we have to wait til the end of October to find out! Good Luck and I'm glad your interview went well!

haha same to you!! i hope i see all the faces i saw last sat :)
the waiting part is gonna kill me... whew...

Members don't see this ad.

I agree, everyone was so friendly, it was so nice meeting all of you! Hopefully we can all hear back from them soon!

don't worry too much!
I just had my interview today and it was really smooth!
everyone was welcoming and nice haha
time flew by so quickly so I was surprised that it was already over lol
just relax and GOOD LUCK :)

Thanks! I know that it's easy and so do they. But I'm glad you enjoy your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I remember Dean Reindeers telling us we can check our status on Pharmcas. Does anyone know what he meant by this? Last year the only 'way' I found that people checked via pharmcas was the yes/was thing but it didn't seem to be confirmed. But is that what he meant?

So I remember Dean Reindeers telling us we can check our status on Pharmcas. Does anyone know what he meant by this? Last year the only 'way' I found that people checked via pharmcas was the yes/was thing but it didn't seem to be confirmed. But is that what he meant?

yea.. im kinda confused about that too..
im guessing its only by the 'yes/was' thing but.. i heard pharmcas is late on updates too.. so i have no idea!

yea.. im kinda confused about that too..
im guessing its only by the 'yes/was' thing but.. i heard pharmcas is late on updates too.. so i have no idea!
lol damn. It's confusing though because it already begins with 'Yes' so you don't know if it's for real yes as in accepted or just didn't update. I guess we just have to wait for the letter :\ It sux for me though cause I'm not at home now and my brother is the only one at the house, and he never calls to tell anyone if they got anything, and my dad only goes there during the weekend, and the soonest I can go is only on the weekend too.

So I guess I'm gonna depend on you guys when someone hears something lol.

lol damn. It's confusing though because it already begins with 'Yes' so you don't know if it's for real yes as in accepted or just didn't update. I guess we just have to wait for the letter :\ It sux for me though cause I'm not at home now and my brother is the only one at the house, and he never calls to tell anyone if they got anything, and my dad only goes there during the weekend, and the soonest I can go is only on the weekend too.

So I guess I'm gonna depend on you guys when someone hears something lol.

hahaha ditto.. i dont go to college in va sooo yea i hope they send it to me but might get sent home.. this waiting is def eating me alive!!!

hahaha ditto.. i dont go to college in va sooo yea i hope they send it to me but might get sent home.. this waiting is def eating me alive!!!
Hopefully the time will go by fast! :)

So if my calculations are correct, we might hear something by the 16th right? And no later than the 22nd?

Hopefully the time will go by fast! :)

So if my calculations are correct, we might hear something by the 16th right? And no later than the 22nd?

yea.. i heard about 2-3 wks is the standard.. however they sometime delay and don't meet the deadline that pharmcas gives.. it make even take up to like first week of nov.

ahhh i wish we all just got in.. ya know.. make a bigger incoming class :D? haha

yea.. i heard about 2-3 wks is the standard.. however they sometime delay and don't meet the deadline that pharmcas gives.. it make even take up to like first week of nov.

ahhh i wish we all just got in.. ya know.. make a bigger incoming class :D? haha
lol it said 3-4 on the powerpoint, maybe 2 in your dreams :p I think it took a long time to get a decision for those last year who interviewed late. I mean if you interview on the 16th then 3 weeks from that is the first week of Nov, so it made sense. Things seem to be running pretty well this year though. Also I think most of us will be okay, given your numbers are good. On the powerpoint he said that was the main reason they deferred people, for pcat scores or grades, and he pretty much made it seem that if you're okay on that and weren't like obnoxious or timid then you should be okay :) And plus I think we were the first to be interviewed, which my mom told me was a good sign too. :xf:

What's the min cGPA/sGPA? does not say on PharmCas?

What's the min cGPA/sGPA? does not say on PharmCas?

there is no min cGPA/sGPA... umm it does say on pharmcas that average cGPA for VCU Pharm is about 3.4 but for applying wise anyone is able to.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol it said 3-4 on the powerpoint, maybe 2 in your dreams :p I think it took a long time to get a decision for those last year who interviewed late. I mean if you interview on the 16th then 3 weeks from that is the first week of Nov, so it made sense. Things seem to be running pretty well this year though. Also I think most of us will be okay, given your numbers are good. On the powerpoint he said that was the main reason they deferred people, for pcat scores or grades, and he pretty much made it seem that if you're okay on that and weren't like obnoxious or timid then you should be okay :) And plus I think we were the first to be interviewed, which my mom told me was a good sign too. :xf:

haha i heard 2 weeks if they really liked you. But 3-4 in general lol
blah.. my pcat was a bit low so.. i hope they look at my sci percentiles and be like alright she's 'ok' versus.. she needs to retake for better reading comprehension scores.. :xf: looks like u did well on all criteria so i bet ur in :)
and yea.. i heard being first to be interviewed is really good!

haha i heard 2 weeks if they really liked you. But 3-4 in general lol
blah.. my pcat was a bit low so.. i hope they look at my sci percentiles and be like alright she's 'ok' versus.. she needs to retake for better reading comprehension scores.. :xf: looks like u did well on all criteria so i bet ur in :)
and yea.. i heard being first to be interviewed is really good!
Ahahaha no my pcat score definitely had something to be desired. honestly I'm not too worried about anyone here, I think the atmosphere in general was very encouraging, and I feel everyone has a really good shot. So the official countdown begins today on my calendar! So 21 days left till decisions :) I tried make one of those cute ticker things but I fail at technology lol..now that I think about it, I think you're right about the 2 weeks thing, but either way definitely by the 22nd hopefully everyone will know!

btw random question -- I forgot to attach my supplemental fee and the dean told me it'd be fine but just to mail it asap. So i spent 14 dollars to mail it in express so it should have gotten there tues at noon. Should I call to confirm that they processed it or just assume they did? He told me they can't process the application w/o the fee and I wouldn't want something like that to screw me over but at the same time I'm not sure if the secretary would know that information o.o

'when you called about the supplemental and stuff did you just talk to melissa or did she transfer you to someone else?

Ahahaha no my pcat score definitely had something to be desired. honestly I'm not too worried about anyone here, I think the atmosphere in general was very encouraging, and I feel everyone has a really good shot. So the official countdown begins today on my calendar! So 21 days left till decisions :) I tried make one of those cute ticker things but I fail at technology lol..now that I think about it, I think you're right about the 2 weeks thing, but either way definitely by the 22nd hopefully everyone will know!

btw random question -- I forgot to attach my supplemental fee and the dean told me it'd be fine but just to mail it asap. So i spent 14 dollars to mail it in express so it should have gotten there tues at noon. Should I call to confirm that they processed it or just assume they did? He told me they can't process the application w/o the fee and I wouldn't want something like that to screw me over but at the same time I'm not sure if the secretary would know that information o.o

'when you called about the supplemental and stuff did you just talk to melissa or did she transfer you to someone else?

I think i talked to Melissa.. I forgot.. but I didn't get transferred so it gotta be her. You should call since app fee is important and like u said.. it would suck if that screw you over. Just call sometime next week and while at it maybe she will tell you the decision result.. ya know.. if we r supposed get something by the 16th then.. they should have decisions by like Wednesday next wk right? LOL

I think i talked to Melissa.. I forgot.. but I didn't get transferred so it gotta be her. You should call since app fee is important and like u said.. it would suck if that screw you over. Just call sometime next week and while at it maybe she will tell you the decision result.. ya know.. if we r supposed get something by the 16th then.. they should have decisions by like Wednesday next wk right? LOL
Lol it's only been a week, I may call about decisions like 2 weeks from now :p But I'll call about the fee haha.

20 days :cool:

Speaking of supplemental fee, do you guys know anyone who got rejected because he/she didn't turn in their fee? I just can't imagine that feeling. It could have been something close to losing a winning lottery ticket. Haha.

Speaking of supplemental fee, do you guys know anyone who got rejected because he/she didn't turn in their fee? I just can't imagine that feeling. It could have been something close to losing a winning lottery ticket. Haha.
Dude, I would not put it past them. Dean Reindeers talked to me for like a full 5 minutes about how they could not process the app without it and it wasn't his rules but "their rules" and how I needed to mail that in asap and it really scared me lol. Thats why I paid 14 dollars for the highest priority. But I called yesterday, they got it :thumbup:

Also, I did read last year how if you didn't turn in the deposit on time, even if the mail was late & through no fault of your own, they revoked your acceptance! They're really serious about it. Someone said on here that another girl who got her letter after the deposit deadline had to start crying for them to accept it. :0 But then again I think this was near April and near the end of the cycle. But still, don't mess around with the fees xD

CBPharmD15 where did you find the interview questions on this website? I just got called today and my interview is in November! Thanks!

CBPharmD15 where did you find the interview questions on this website? I just got called today and my interview is in November! Thanks!

If you scroll to the top of the page, you'll see a section that says interview feedback. Under school interview feedback, click all schools. Change the school type to pharmacy school and you should see VCU School of Pharmacy once you scroll down. All you need to know will be there. Good luck!

Hey you guys I got some news! Sort of. So I logged onto Pharmcas today just to see if anything changed and my mailing date changed!!

Mailing Date Mailing Status
08/02/2010 Mailed
10/04/2010 Revised

Revised 10/04/2010?? What do you think this might mean? Do you think something might come in the mail soon? Ahh I'm going home tomorrow and no one's at the house to check! Does anyone else's say that??

Hey you guys I got some news! Sort of. So I logged onto Pharmcas today just to see if anything changed and my mailing date changed!!

08/02/2010 Mailed
10/04/2010 Revised

Revised 10/04/2010?? What do you think this might mean? Do you think something might come in the mail soon? Ahh I'm going home tomorrow and no one's at the house to check! Does anyone else's say that??

Mine was revised way back in august. I had: mailed 8/2/10 and revised 8/9/10....I have no idea what that means though.

Mine was revised way back in august. I had: mailed 8/2/10 and revised 8/9/10....I have no idea what that means though.
hmm you took the june pcat right? Maybe just pcat scores...aw I was really hoping something had changed lol.

08/02/2010 Mailed
10/04/2010 Revised

email them, pharmcas is quick to respond

08/02/2010 Mailed
10/04/2010 Revised

It's because of our pcat scores being updated lol
they 'resend' the application to VCU with the pcat scores from august that's why it's 'revised' ..

lol false alarm then, sorry guys

haha I thought the same and then realized that it was nothing after i calmed down.. LOL
lol..damn..I wish they didn't only send it by mail..2 weeks since the interview and still nothing..but this upcoming week starts the "3rd week" so hopefully one of us will hear something positive..

btw found this on Pharmcas

PharmAdMIT admissions software (PharmAdMIT) is distributed to participating schools at no charge, allowing them to manipulate PharmCAS data for the receipt of applications and to report specific final admissions decisions. This software also tracks institution-specific admission statuses and decisions, interview schedules, and related correspondence, and can be used for personalized and preset reports, letters, emails, and GPA calculations. (AACP will assume the license fee for each school that utilizes PharmAdMIT each year).
So I think Pharmcas will have our decisions before we get them in the mail...I'm gonna email them about this :idea:

Last edited:
lol..damn..I wish they didn't only send it by mail..2 weeks since the interview and still nothing..but this upcoming week starts the "3rd week" so hopefully one of us will hear something positive..

btw found this on Pharmcas

So I think Pharmcas will have our decisions before we get them in the mail...I'm gonna email them about this :idea:

hmmmm...
i think like the dental schools apps use that.. soooo funny but they have the exact same looking app stuff like pharmcas. Except they have this status screen where it tells u the decision for all schools and my friends found out they got interviews and stuff before the snail mail was delivered.

So vcu says you can track the status of your application online and it will tell you on pharmcas if you got accepted or not before you will get a letter. Where do you check this? I see the status big menu, but which particular link will give you this information? anybody know??

Hey pharmlove and vatravisvol -- yeah this is what I emailed Pharmcas about. I said that I would like to know of the status online in case something happens to the mail since there is a short acceptance reply timeline with VCU and how to check my status. They replied with an automatic email saying their business hours are M-F and to wait then to hear a response lol.

But there is no clear consensus on how to check online, I haven't found anything on these forums about it either.

Hey pharmlove and vatravisvol -- yeah this is what I emailed Pharmcas about. I said that I would like to know of the status online in case something happens to the mail since there is a short acceptance reply timeline with VCU and how to check my status. They replied with an automatic email saying their business hours are M-F and to wait then to hear a response lol.

But there is no clear consensus on how to check online, I haven't found anything on these forums about it either.

ooo ok :) just keep us updated!
I'm curious of how the status is going to change since it's already in the "YES" mode..
I guess.. we have 2 more weeks at max to wait!

ooo ok :) just keep us updated!
I'm curious of how the status is going to change since it's already in the "YES" mode..
I guess.. we have 2 more weeks at max to wait!
I got their email back, and it says:

I am a Pharmcas Customer Service Representative, and am happy to assist you.
Pharmcas does not list early decision acceptance or denials in real time. You
will need to contact your schools directly .
Soo I guess the status will change on Friday the 22nd only :\ .. and we have to keep checking the mail .. well only 2 more weeks, better than 4 :p

Also if it's any consolation, I checked a thread from like two to three years ago and they interviewed 9/22 and heard back 10/18, or the Sat at the very end of the 3rd week, so maybe we'll hear from them at the end of this week.

Last edited:
I got their email back, and it says:

Soo I guess the status will change on Friday the 22nd only :\ .. and we have to keep checking the mail .. well only 2 more weeks, better than 4 :p

Also if it's any consolation, I checked a thread from like two to three years ago and they interviewed 9/22 and heard back 10/18, or the Sat at the very end of the 3rd week, so maybe we'll hear from them at the end of this week.

I don't think we'll have the decisions by this weekend or even next weekend.. I just got off the phone with Melissa and she said they haven't even looked through all applicants nor finished all the interviews for them. Sigh.. I called to see if they were gonna be mailed this week.. hoping that I don't have to take the PCAT this weekend and save some money on gas and hotel reservations.

ugh.. my PCAT site is like about 2 hrs away from where i live so.. I have to make hotel reservations since I got scheduled for the morning exam :(

I don't think we'll have the decisions by this weekend or even next weekend.. I just got off the phone with Melissa and she said they haven't even looked through all applicants nor finished all the interviews for them. Sigh.. I called to see if they were gonna be mailed this week.. hoping that I don't have to take the PCAT this weekend and save some money on gas and hotel reservations.

ugh.. my PCAT site is like about 2 hrs away from where i live so.. I have to make hotel reservations since I got scheduled for the morning exam :(
Ugh that sucks, sorry to hear that :( The PCAT for me was annoying too, I had to make a hotel reservation and drive and all that as well, hopefully it'll go smoothly for you!

That's true regarding what Melissa said, cause there is an ED interview this upcoming Oct. 16, but I thought they would mail out letters as decisions were made, like a "rolling" type thing...so maybe she meant there wouldn't be decisions for those who are interviewing now... Did you specifically mention for those that interviewed Sept 25 or in general?

Ugh that sucks, sorry to hear that :( The PCAT for me was annoying too, I had to make a hotel reservation and drive and all that as well, hopefully it'll go smoothly for you!

That's true regarding what Melissa said, cause there is an ED interview this upcoming Oct. 16, but I thought they would mail out letters as decisions were made, like a "rolling" type thing...so maybe she meant there wouldn't be decisions for those who are interviewing now... Did you specifically mention for those that interviewed Sept 25 or in general?

I kinda assumed that she realized I had my interview on the sept 25th.. since I said I had my interview 2 weeks ago lol
im not sure.. i hope i find out by the deadline that pharmcas set so i can apply elsewhere if i have to.

I kinda assumed that she realized I had my interview on the sept 25th.. since I said I had my interview 2 weeks ago lol
im not sure.. i hope i find out by the deadline that pharmcas set so i can apply elsewhere if i have to.

I think we will. It's too early to freak out yet lol, we still have 2 more weeks, and if pharmcas doesn't change anything by the 22nd I think we should assume the best. :) I think they have the decisions (pharmcas) but don't purposely let us know until the 22nd...kinda like how they have our pcat scores before we get them in the mail...because we're just a # to them lol.

So how do people know to say that pharmcas will change our status on the 22nd? so it might be up if we got in on the 22nd, but the letters of course wont reach us until later b/c snail mail? Reinders did say it would be up on pharmcas before our letter arrives.

So how do people know to say that pharmcas will change our status on the 22nd? so it might be up if we got in on the 22nd, but the letters of course wont reach us until later b/c snail mail? Reinders did say it would be up on pharmcas before our letter arrives.
So you know how in the status box you can see 'Pharmacy Designations'? Well if you click on it now, it says Early Decison: YES. On the 22nd, supposedly, it should continue saying 'YES' if you're accepted or if deferred it will say 'WAS' and you'll get an email saying you're free to apply to other schools...this is based on reading last year's thread, not confirmed by anyone...as to what Reindeers said, I think he was right that Pharmcas does have our status before we get it but I don't think they do anything with it until the 22nd. And we're saying the 22nd because that is the deadline for ED decisions according to Pharmcas.

And yeah letters won't get to us because, according to pharmlove who spoke to Melissa, they (admissions people), supposedly, do not send the letters out one by one and perhaps send it as a mass group of letters, which means, since some ED people still have to interview this Saturday, by the time the late interviewees' decisions are made, letters could very well not come until Nov--which happened last year too...letters did not come until mid Nov actually.

Of course, maybe they will send it as decisions become available for individuals, and we'll get the letter sooner. After all, we're all just kinda speculating based on data from last year and what people are saying.

Capeesh? :p

So you know how in the status box you can see 'Pharmacy Designations'? Well if you click on it now, it says Early Decison: YES. On the 22nd, supposedly, it should continue saying 'YES' if you're accepted or if deferred it will say 'WAS' and you'll get an email saying you're free to apply to other schools...this is based on reading last year's thread, not confirmed by anyone...as to what Reindeers said, I think he was right that Pharmcas does have our status before we get it but I don't think they do anything with it until the 22nd. And we're saying the 22nd because that is the deadline for ED decisions according to Pharmcas.

And yeah letters won't get to us because, according to pharmlove who spoke to Melissa, they (admissions people), supposedly, do not send the letters out one by one and perhaps send it as a mass group of letters, which means, since some ED people still have to interview this Saturday, by the time the late interviewees' decisions are made, letters could very well not come until Nov--which happened last year too...letters did not come until mid Nov actually.

Of course, maybe they will send it as decisions become available for individuals, and we'll get the letter sooner. After all, we're all just kinda speculating based on data from last year and what people are saying.

Capeesh? :p

yea.. i called pharmcas and they said only time we would know it has been updated is if it changed to 'was'. I asked if there was a way to know if it remained "yes" and they said not really which I think its a bit odd.

as from VCU, maybe we'll get it it soon since Dr. Reindeers said we should have an answer within 3-4 weeks of our interview.. which means if following by pharmcas deadlines.. it's unfair for us who interviewed 2 weeks ago to wait this long while those that interview this weekend to have an answer within a week.

I guess we can't try to 'predict' haha we'll get a letter in the mail sooner or later...

Thanks, so basically if it says "was".. then dreams are shattered haha, it really seemed like everyone that was there at my interview day had their stuff together and was prepared. I don't know how they will just say no to half of us. Its scary lol. Hopefully everyone's stats are not 4.0 and 99% !

Soooooo my friend just explained to me how this early decision thingie goes.. the reason why pharmcas might be updated before we get out letter is because VCU staff changes the status online NOT the pharmcas staff!
It makes sense to me now of what Dr. Reindeers said.... when they mail out the letters to us, they r gonna update our status online so that we can apply to other schools if we get deferred or declined.

pharmcas just emailed me and said they will change early decision status on november 1....

Soooooo my friend just explained to me how this early decision thingie goes.. the reason why pharmcas might be updated before we get out letter is because VCU staff changes the status online NOT the pharmcas staff!
It makes sense to me now of what Dr. Reindeers said.... when they mail out the letters to us, they r gonna update our status online so that we can apply to other schools if we get deferred or declined.
How does your friend know? Did she apply ED before? The 22nd thing still applies tho doesn't it?

ooo how come I didn't get an email about that?? :confused:
I didn't get an email about that either & Pharmcas' website is saying the 22nd.

I think like every ED applicant has heard back except us lol and UMB.

How does your friend know? Did she apply ED before? The 22nd thing still applies tho doesn't it?

I didn't get an email about that either & Pharmcas' website is saying the 22nd.

I think like every ED applicant has heard back except us lol and UMB.

my friend did ED for a different school and she heard back in like 2.5 weeks i believe.
idk about the 22nd deadline..... i wish they kept it so i don't have to wait longerrrrrr :(

man.. i wish i heard back from them like tomorrow!

My email that they responded back to

Dear Applicant,

The early decision status will not change until Nov 1 2010

My email that they responded back to

Dear Applicant,

The early decision status will not change until Nov 1 2010

wahhhh???
this suckssssss!
i ended up calling VCU AGAIN.. and was told that they will not send any decisions until this saturday's interviews are over..
I guess 11/1/10 thing might happen but... what if I want to apply to schools that have the 11/1/10 deadline????

wahhhh???
this suckssssss!
i ended up calling VCU AGAIN.. and was told that they will not send any decisions until this saturday's interviews are over..
I guess 11/1/10 thing might happen but... what if I want to apply to schools that have the 11/1/10 deadline????
Well let's hope you're accepted! :)
I don't think there was a single person last year who was deferred after 10/22 (for ED). I think they are polite and will defer you if you need to be...esp. if you interviewed in the first group. The only thing they might delay in is the letter. :p