VCU/MCV Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my PharmCAS back in August, and I still haven't heard anything from VCU. Did this happen to anyone else out there?

i submittd my Pharmcas in November 13, mailed to VCU December 13, got an invite for interview December 20. You should check if you haven't complete all stuffs with Pharmcas?? I dont think they would wait that long to let you know about the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there an easier way to do the 2x2 photo? I've tried resizing on photoshop, but I was wondering how you all did it.

So you got your letter in the mail?!? I am up in VT now and my friend is checking the mail for me. I guess I should ask them to check today eh?

In response to the 2x2 photo, you can just go to Rite Aid or most pharmacies and have a passport photo taken. They are the right size. Its usually around $10.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you got your letter in the mail?!? I am up in VT now and my friend is checking the mail for me. I guess I should ask them to check today eh?

Just got my letter! :) Yay, Class of 2015!!! Good luck Max, let us know when you hear back!! :xf::xf::xf::xf:

Did your background check clear before you got the letter? Mine is still "In Progress"...

Yeah, my background check did clear in like exactly a day and then I released to VCU right away. That could affect the speed... I'm honestly not sure. Goodluck!!!

I'm looking for a female roommate. If you're interested, let me know! :) I'm hoping to get a nice two bedroom apartment in downtown Richmond (within walking distance of the pharmacy building).

hey guys

do any of u guys know what the price ranges are for apartments in richmond for 1 BR?

my parents are asking and.. i have no idea how much it costs lol

anyways happy holidays to u all :)

A ok place will run ya about $500 a month downtown and a nice place can be as much as $1500 (all utilities included). The book they give out at the interviews is a great place to start. Also check any of the apartment websites.

i've been accepted and considering vcu but i'm out of state...has anyone heard of past out of state students getting scholarships? it's so expensive but i really like the school.

also is anyone worried about the area? i thought it seemed great when i visited but i've heard from multiple people that it has a high crime rate.

Just got my letter! :) Yay, Class of 2015!!! Good luck Max, let us know when you hear back!! :xf::xf::xf::xf:

Do you think you can share your interview experience with me since my tinterview is in 3 weeks? This is my first one so im really nervous about it. I am really appreciated if you could tell me what kind of question they ask you and the essay they make you write at the end of the interview..Thanks Max and Vtpharm girl...

Hey Maximum have you received your letter yet? I got my background check email around the same time you did. It was completed and I released it on December 22nd and I still haven't received a letter.

First, I am sorry about your skins fandom. Pats FTW. Second, I haven't heard anything yet. I released my background check on the 27th. Mine took longer than most. I emailed Mr. Ballentine today and hope to hear something by close of business tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from the school saying that my acceptance is on the way. The school was closed for a week and a half so the mailings are a little behind. Good luck to everyone else! Let the house hunt begin.

Congrats everyone! I got my letter in the mail yesterday!

For all accepted fellows can you share your interview experience at VCU something that is not mentioned in SDN interview feedback please

Especially if anyone applied for a dual degree (Pharm D/ Ph.D). I haven't seen any discussion regarding Pharm D/ Ph.D program..

I thought my interview process was wonderful. I remember I had a really relaxed conversation with the students and faculty. At first I was nervous and tried to be all professional and relate back everything to pharmacy but a lot of it seemed forced. Eventually, I just emphasized my interest in the Pharmacy program, my goals, and my social skills. I called VCU a month later to check on my status (because I had originally applied for early decision but got bumped down to regular admission) and they noted I had no negative remarks at my interview.

If you are curious, I would recommend giving them a call and ask if there is anything you can improve on. First, it may provide excellent feedback for future interviews and it will definitely look good on your part for taking the time to call.

Does anyone know where to find good housing? What about the dorms, are they good?

Thanks,
Samson

Hey all!

I have an interview at VCU this Saturday. It's my first interview, and I have no idea what to expect! Can anybody give me some insight? The process of the interview? Questions that were asked? Any help at all is so greatly appreciated!!

Hey all!

I have an interview at VCU this Saturday. It's my first interview, and I have no idea what to expect! Can anybody give me some insight? The process of the interview? Questions that were asked? Any help at all is so greatly appreciated!!

Just look at the interview questions already posted in the interview section of SDN. It is very representative of what you will get. Good luck!

For those already accepted I have started a Facebook page for our class year so we can meet and share info. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Does anyone plan on doing a dual PharmD/MBA program? I am looking into it now and would like to share info with others.

Does anyone know where to find good housing? What about the dorms, are they good?

Thanks,
Samson

The dorms are very close to campus so they are very convenient. The rooms are big and its a pretty comfortable situation. I'm living in them right now.

On that note, I am definitely looking for an apartment next year. You are always on campus. When my friends have a bad day, they can go "home". Well, my home is on campus! School! Eek! OMG! Need to get out! Haha.

Good luck to you all!

Hello guys,

I have turned in my app back in october, and I have not heard anything back from them, I was trying to call them and ask, but she told me the status will be updated on the pharmcas. I am not sure whats wrong with my application, I have high stats, volunteer, pharmacy tech, one leadership position.etc. Has this happened to anyone. Any help will be appreciated.

Jenna

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about the low-rise dorms. I'm lookin into the McRae, Bear, or Warner Hall. Are they nice? Any preference one over another? I've never lived in a dorm before, so this is definitely a new experience for me. I've been lucky enough to commute to my current college and save a ton of money.

Does anyone know when we will be hearing back? I was at the January 15th interview. I really loved the school, and hope to find out soon!

Last edited:
Does anyone know when we will be hearing back? I was at the January 15th interview. I really loved the school, and hope to be attending next year!

Good luck! My interview was 10/15/10 and I received the background check on 12/27/10 and didn't get my acceptance letter until around 1/07/11.

Good luck! My interview was 10/15/10 and I received the background check on 12/27/10 and didn't get my acceptance letter until around 1/07/11.

Keep in mind that was partially due to the school being closed for about 2 weeks.

Maximum- Wow that is a long time! haha

Before leaving the interview, one of the P1 students mentioned that they take longer for out-of-state students : / so my wait might be at least a good month, unfortunately.

Maximum- Wow that is a long time! haha

Before leaving the interview, one of the P1 students mentioned that they take longer for out-of-state students : / so my wait might be at least a good month, unfortunately.

Haha, I hope not! I was in-state! Yikes.

I'm out of state. I interviewed 11/05, received my background check 12/14, and got my letter 01/08. The waiting seemed like forever, though.

Good luck!

I just got a phone call and email for an interview on 2/12/11 which I am super excited about. I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed/been accepted has take courses at a community college? I need to take Biochem over the summer and was planning on taking it at a local community college. Anyone know if they accept community college credits?

I just got a phone call and email for an interview on 2/12/11 which I am super excited about. I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed/been accepted has take courses at a community college? I need to take Biochem over the summer and was planning on taking it at a local community college. Anyone know if they accept community college credits?

I do not believe CC offers Biochem courses...congrats on your interview, first half is over :thumbup:

I do not believe CC offers Biochem courses...congrats on your interview, first half is over :thumbup:

They have "Intro to Biochem" which is 3 credits, Melissa from the admissions committee told me to call tomorrow and she will have me speak to someone who can answer this question. Thanks :) Are you planning on going there in the Fall?

you guys minding your stats for the ones that got interviewed/admitted. im kind of having second thoughts on submitting my app to them cuz of my low PCAT scores. my gpa is above their average but not like super great

also is anyone worried about the area? i thought it seemed great when i visited but i've heard from multiple people that it has a high crime rate.

I went to undergrad at VCU. The Monroe Park campus (non-medical) is in a different part of town, but my experience was very positive. VCU is diligent about security, so as far as walking around campus I felt pretty safe coming from from the library at 11pm. Richmond in general is just like any other city. You've got to be smart about things (don't walk home from the bar at 2am) but I never had any problems. My friend got mugged once, but that was when she was--wait for it--walking home from the bar at 2am. Lock up your bike, lock your car, lock your house. I absolutely loved living in Richmond, it's got a great music scene and lots of culture. Hopefully I'll be back there in a year and a half!

I was just wondering what the name of everyone's course was that they took for the english (rhetoric) pre-req? I am trying to figure out what I should take that will fulfill that requirement...

I received a background check email yesterday. I think it is from VCU.. did anyone else receive one? I interviewed 1/15

I received a background check email yesterday. I think it is from VCU.. did anyone else receive one? I interviewed 1/15

if its the email about wanting your consent and so forth it means u got in :)
congrats!!!

I also got a background check two days ago and I interviewed on 1/15. Woohoo!

anyone know when VCU does most of their interviews? their deadline is march 1, is that when most people start hearing back?

i applied back in november and haven't heard anything!

They do interviews through the end of April. Hopefully you'll hear back soon. Good luck!

I interviewed this past Saturday and I think the wait might kill me!

I interviewed this past Saturday and I think the wait might kill me!

I interviewed 2/12 and I heard that this Saturday (3/5/11) is the last interview session... I could be wrong though. I am anxiously waiting! I loved VCU's interview process, it was so laid back and everyone was extremely friendly! Anyone who has interviewed at VCU also interview at Shenandoah? I have an interview with Shenandoah 3/21 and was just wondering how the two compare (like what did you think of each one)?

I interviewed at Shenandoah. It was short and sweet, just a really nice professor and a student asking questions for about 20 minutes. Then a tour, but the school is pretty small, so it only took about 15 minutes. I got an acceptance email 3 days after the interview. Good luck!

For those of you accepted to VCU, how long did it take from the time you released your background check to the time you received your acceptance letter? I got a conditional acceptance email 3 weeks after my VCU interview, and it took a week for the background check to come back. I released it immediately last Monday, but haven't gotten a letter yet. I heard Shenandoah doesn't request a background check until after you've put a deposit down, and I'm really hoping it was VCU that requested it.

I interviewed at Shenandoah. It was short and sweet, just a really nice professor and a student asking questions for about 20 minutes. Then a tour, but the school is pretty small, so it only took about 15 minutes. I got an acceptance email 3 days after the interview. Good luck!

For those of you accepted to VCU, how long did it take from the time you released your background check to the time you received your acceptance letter? I got a conditional acceptance email 3 weeks after my VCU interview, and it took a week for the background check to come back. I released it immediately last Monday, but haven't gotten a letter yet. I heard Shenandoah doesn't request a background check until after you've put a deposit down, and I'm really hoping it was VCU that requested it.

Do you happen to know the cost comparison for VCU vs. Shenandoah (tuition for out of state student)? I can't seem to find out the tuition of either school...

Do you happen to know the cost comparison for VCU vs. Shenandoah (tuition for out of state student)? I can't seem to find out the tuition of either school...

SU is $26,500 plus $500/semester for the computer they require you to lease
http://pharmacy.su.edu/PharmWeb/indexmenu/NavIndex.cfm?fuseaction=TradFAQAnswers

For VCU, you can use their tuition calculator:
http://www.enrollment.vcu.edu/accounting/tuition_fees/calculator.html
For the 2010-2011 school year, the number it shows me for out-of-state tuition and fees is $16,510. You may want to check on that though because it seems pretty low.