Vet tech program before vet school, should I go for it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melat11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a vet tech program in San Antonio because I didn’t have any vet experience so I thought this would be a good opportunity to get ready and knowledgeable in the vet field. Since I want to apply to vet school next year I would finish in time the vet tech program. But I just got an opportunity to volunteer in a vet clinic where I live (I’ve been waiting for this so long!) so I’m not sure if I should move to a different city (which is 8 hrs away) for the vet tech program or stay where I live and continue to volunteer at the vet clinic. What do you guys think? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to be a vet or a tech? They are very different jobs.

Do the volunteering. If you have never been in a clinic you need to figure out which job (if any of them) is actually what you want to do. :)

Reactions: 7 users
Med students don’t go to nursing school to prepare them to apply to med school (sorry to the one SDNer who hangs around the vet forum who inadvertently did that :p). Vet students don’t go to vet tech school to prepare them to apply to vet school. They’re just different fields. It won’t look any better on an application. You can’t transfer credits to vet school. So I would highly recommend you stay where you live and work for free rather than moving 8 hours away to pay for an opportunity that won’t do anything differently for you.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with what others have said above - doing a technician program with little to no experience won't be particularly helpful in preparing you for a veterinary career. Save your money and time and focus on getting actual, hands-on experience. Unless you live in a state that requires a technician license to do anything more than restraint, you will be far better off learning on the job in a clinic.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much you all! This has been very helpful. I appreciate your responses.

Reactions: 1 user