Mar 18, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Currently about 350 days shy of separating from active duty and have ~2 years left of undergrad to complete.

Being a TX resident, I'll qualify for the hazlewood exemption and both VA education benefits. I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize both the hazlewood and post-9/11 or MGIB.

So far I've only found that I can't use both at the same time..
To be eligible for the hazlewood, a vet must:
"Have no federal Veteran’s education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits;"

Does anyone have any insight or experience with using both the Hazlewood Exemption AND the MGIB or Post-9/11 G.I. Bills? If so, please feel free to share.

**EDIT: I realize now this thread would be better suited in the Non-trad forum. is it possible to have it switched?
Last edited:
May 23, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Pretty sure that line you quoted just means that the two benefits cannot be stacked on top of each other during the same semester for the same classes. Both the GI bill and the Hazlewood act can be used for either undergraduate school or graduate school. If I were you I would recommend using the Hazlewood for undergrad since it only covers tuition and you might be able to balance a part-time job or have enough saved up to survive without working from your time in the military. Then when your bank account is running low or when you get into medical school switch over to the GI bill since it pays tuition + book allowance + housing allowance and should be enough to live off of with minimal if any loans. Just be aware to plan out financially for summer/winter break since the GI bill only pays the housing allowance for the days/months you are actively in school. So summer break or winter break = no housing allowance.
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user


2+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2018
There is no way you can use Hazelwood and GI bill at the same time. Part of the application of hazelwood is showing that you are ineligible for further GI bill payments. Even if you could, you wouldn't want to since Hazelwood can only be used for tuition, and GI Bill only pays the tuition after tuition scholarships have been paid.

You'll use the GI Bill until it runs out, then transfer over to Hazelwood. Most Texas schools have VA departments so go talk to them as well
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.