Veterans: Anyone using VA voc rehab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you send me the thing you signed? I have a meeting scheduled with my VRC to hash all this confusion out. In the mean time I'm going from the 2250 i was getting from ch 33 to 600 on the first :(

Anyone else have any other Ammo for me?

PM me your email. I will send you a pic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. Yes indeed semper fi, and big thanks to all of you for serving. God speed.

1) You can use Ch 31 for both; that's what I did/am doing. I used GI Bill for 2 years (supposed to be one year, but VA rep at the school certified me for the wrong damn benefit, which is a whole other story...), but Voc Rehab for my final year of undergrad and now medical school.
2) Just be clear that you're goal is to become a physician. They cannot tell you what to do, rather can only say yes or no. The key here is to show interest, aptitude, and ability.
- If you're goal is to become a physician, you have a 4.0, a 38 MCAT, they will not [should not] tell you no because you have the interest, aptitude, and ability. However, if you have a 2.5 and a 5 MCAT, while you may show interest, you don't show aptitude or ability, thus you will be denied. In any case, you can always appeal and/or request a new counselor.
Yeah I've decided I most likely will go at it pretty much how you've done.

I'll wait until my junior/senior year to apply for 31 or use 33. At this point I'm really only playing with the idea of med school. I mean I'm going chemE/premed so I'll have to see how my gpa/mcat fairs, I'm not too bothered as it's what I'm most interested in, if I do well enough I'll go for it. It's looking like I'm gonna have to start again at CC for at least 2 years though. Probably just pay out of pocket for that and save some 33 for bigger things, in state CC tuition isn't that high. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I've decided I most likely will go at it pretty much how you've done.

I'll wait until my junior/senior year to apply for 31 or use 33. At this point I'm really only playing with the idea of med school. I mean I'm going chemE/premed so I'll have to see how my gpa/mcat fairs, I'm not too bothered as it's what I'm most interested in, if I do well enough I'll go for it. It's looking like I'm gonna have to start again at CC for at least 2 years though. Probably just pay out of pocket for that and save some 33 for bigger things, in state CC tuition isn't that high. Thanks again.
Please don't pay for school out of pocket.

I just saw an updated post today by the admin of the ch 31 group on FB and she noted that as things currently stand, the best option is to use ch 31 first and try to save all your other benefits for later.

Reactions: 1 users
Please don't pay for school out of pocket.
Most likely won't lol. Just an idea really to save some benefits. Even though I'm guessing it's no use saving as if you don't use em you may end up losing somewhere down the line, plus the funding is there for us. Hopefully things do not change any time soon from what Esob found. 31 first seems like the best way to use these benefits right now as long as you can get into 31.

Last edited:
No, this is not true. I just signed a statement saying that I can't concurrently use the post 9/11 and Voc Rehab at the same time despite Voc Rehab giving me the post 9/11 BAH rate. Yes, post 9/11 BAH for residency looks very real right now.

I went on Post 9/11 GI Bill comparison tool this morning and you can find residency programs listed under schools with the full BAH listed as a benefit. I found several programs. Including some I'm interested in.

Reactions: 2 users
Let me know if this would work. Use 33 month of my GI bill for first 3 years of my med school (not counting breaks), apply for Voc rehab to cover year 4 of med school and 36 months of residency (BAH only). Possible?

Let me know if this would work. Use 33 month of my GI bill for first 3 years of my med school (not counting breaks), apply for Voc rehab to cover year 4 of med school and 36 months of residency (BAH only). Possible?

No, it would not work for the most part in that instance... Voc Rehab is an employment program and residency is considered employment. If you use 33 months of GI Bill, then Voc Rehab - Voc Rehab will consider you "rehabilitated" at graduation if you matched. You would then (under the new rules) still have 3 months left of GI Bill, and you can get BAH during residency for 3 months only, which will use up the remaining GI Bill benefit.

In the contrary, if you have not used much of your GI Bill yet and are in med school (says you're a med student), apply for Voc Rehab now. Let Voc Rehab pay for the majority/what's left. This will save more of your GI Bill. The sooner you use Voc Rehab (or pay out of pocket, which I would not recommend in this case), the more GI Bill you will save for later which can be used for BAH during residency.

No, it would not work for the most part in that instance... Voc Rehab is an employment program and residency is considered employment. If you use 33 months of GI Bill, then Voc Rehab - Voc Rehab will consider you "rehabilitated" at graduation if you matched. You would then (under the new rules) still have 3 months left of GI Bill, and you can get BAH during residency for 3 months only, which will use up the remaining GI Bill benefit.

In the contrary, if you have not used much of your GI Bill yet and are in med school (says you're a med student), apply for Voc Rehab now. Let Voc Rehab pay for the majority/what's left. This will save more of your GI Bill. The sooner you use Voc Rehab (or pay out of pocket, which I would not recommend in this case), the more GI Bill you will save for later which can be used for BAH during residency.
Thank you for your clarification. I just started med school this month, so I will go ahead and apply for the voc rehab. Is there a limit on how much voc rehab will pay? My school (state school) is around $40000 for instate students.

Thank you for your clarification. I just started med school this month, so I will go ahead and apply for the voc rehab. Is there a limit on how much voc rehab will pay? My school (state school) is around $40000 for instate students.

"No." I quote that because some counselors are very bad, while some are very good (you don't have much choice in who you get, at least at the beginning). That is up to the counselor to decide on everything, but I believe that is under the limit required for the counselor to pass it to the VR&E Officer.

There technically is no limit, but even if it is $1, that does not mean they will approve it either. I'm using Voc Rehab and my tuition is in the $30k's. I know others using it with tuition in the $40k's and $50k's.

There are also people I know using it for dental school with tuition in the $60k's. If it is $50-100K, I believe it goes to the Officer, then $100k+ goes to the regional director or something to that affect.

At less than $50k, it should be decided by the counselor. Hopefully you get a good one.

There are also people I know using it for dental school with tuition in the $60k's. If it is $50-100K, I believe it goes to the Officer, then $100k+ goes to the regional director or something to that affect.

At less than $50k, it should be decided by the counselor. Hopefully you get a good one.
Thank you! How long did the process take you?? Also did you apply online, or went through a physical vic rehab office?

Members don't see this ad :)
Application online --> interview/initial meeting: about 2 months.

I was approved in first meeting. I brought everything and was prepared for it. Had my transcripts, acceptance letter, portions of my VA record with my ratings, etc. took less than an hour to talk/discuss, set everything up, sign paperwork, and get back into my car.

Application online --> interview/initial meeting: about 2 months.

I was approved in first meeting. I brought everything and was prepared for it. Had my transcripts, acceptance letter, portions of my VA record with my ratings, etc. took less than an hour to talk/discuss, set everything up, sign paperwork, and get back into my car.
I applied online ~ 4 weeks ago. I was told initial contact with appointment date and time is via snail mail? I'm still waiting for that to show.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

I applied online ~ 4 weeks ago. I was told initial contact with appointment date and time is via snail mail? I'm still waiting for that to show.

Yep, snail mail with a date, time, and location.

I was told up to 50k per annum can be approved by VRE officer, and up to 100k required officer supervisor and over 100K required regional director's approval.

That's correct to my best knowledge. It was discussed on the Facebook page at least recently, which is where I saw that info.

Wow this thread is incredible, thank you.

OK, I'll ask for help as well. My situation is slightly different and complicated...
-I'm still AD, but I get out next week (HHG packed us up today!)
~10 months of ch33 benefits remain.
-I start dental school (private, EXPENSIVE) in the fall
-I have not been rated by the VA yet.
-Submitted my VA claim a few days ago (couldn't apply without a separation date), along with applying for voc rehab. My med history will easily qualify my %wise.
-Have not even had my physical exam yet from the VA. I hope to have this done in the next few weeks before I start school.

In the meantime, what do I do?
Do I apply for loans and leave my ch33 alone while I go through the WHOLE process? Since I applied for ch31 before the start of class, will it be backdated enough to clear out my loan?
Do I start using my ch33 and hope I get approved, and in time before I run out of months? Or do I get my months back since I applied before the first day of school?
Again, no rating letter yet. But, the DAV rep went through my medical novel....I mean file, and said he would expect at least 80%.

My situation was a little unique, so I couldn't time it any differently.

Anyway, after I enroll in the VA and get my exam scheduled, what do I do next as far as paying for school and my GI Bill?

Again, a HUGE thanks to you gentlemen for providing this info. I didn't even know about the program until a few weeks ago. I was honestly expecting to be $350K+ in debt even with GI Bill.

Wow this thread is incredible, thank you.

OK, I'll ask for help as well. My situation is slightly different and complicated...
-I'm still AD, but I get out next week (HHG packed us up today!)
~10 months of ch33 benefits remain.
-I start dental school (private, EXPENSIVE) in the fall
-I have not been rated by the VA yet.
-Submitted my VA claim a few days ago (couldn't apply without a separation date), along with applying for voc rehab. My med history will easily qualify my %wise.
-Have not even had my physical exam yet from the VA. I hope to have this done in the next few weeks before I start school.

In the meantime, what do I do?
Do I apply for loans and leave my ch33 alone while I go through the WHOLE process? Since I applied for ch31 before the start of class, will it be backdated enough to clear out my loan?
Do I start using my ch33 and hope I get approved, and in time before I run out of months? Or do I get my months back since I applied before the first day of school?
Again, no rating letter yet. But, the DAV rep went through my medical novel....I mean file, and said he would expect at least 80%.

My situation was a little unique, so I couldn't time it any differently.

Anyway, after I enroll in the VA and get my exam scheduled, what do I do next as far as paying for school and my GI Bill?

Again, a HUGE thanks to you gentlemen for providing this info. I didn't even know about the program until a few weeks ago. I was honestly expecting to be $350K+ in debt even with GI Bill.

This is to my best knowledge, so if anyone knows otherwise, please chime in and let me know:

The VA doesn't backdate for 31. Although you applied, there is not effective date until you sign paperwork since it is up to the counselor on whether or not you qualify or not, which SHOULD be a non-issue, but in any case you don't have a rating yet. Therefore either the app will get kicked back or will be on hold until you have one. I submitted my claim while still on AD in believe April, had my appointments in July, and got a rating in Feb (THIS is backdated only).

With that said, I don't know if there are any caveats to applications made with pending VA claims.

Now my 0.02: You have 10 months left of 33. Dental school is expensive. If it is anything like med school in terms of getting at least your first summer off, you will likely have a 9 month school year (give or take). Chances are you will likely be able to save at least 1 day to be eligible for the BAH with 31 if/when you sign your paperwork. IF you are accepted for Voc Rehab sooner than Dec-ish, you could stop GI Bill and switch to voc rehab mid-year (therefore using only 4ish months of GI Bill). Since you don't know yet - don't take out the loans. Debt free is the way to be when it's a viable, non-obligated option. That interest will accrue and you'll dislike it very much, I'm sure. I would start with GI Bill while waiting for Voc rehab, then switch ASAP if/when approved. If not approved for whatever reason, you at least won't have debt as soon, which means less time to accrue interest before you can work and pay anything off.

This is to my best knowledge, so if anyone knows otherwise, please chime in and let me know:

The VA doesn't backdate for 31. Although you applied, there is not effective date until you sign paperwork since it is up to the counselor on whether or not you qualify or not, which SHOULD be a non-issue, but in any case you don't have a rating yet. Therefore either the app will get kicked back or will be on hold until you have one. I submitted my claim while still on AD in believe April, had my appointments in July, and got a rating in Feb (THIS is backdated only).

With that said, I don't know if there are any caveats to applications made with pending VA claims.

Now my 0.02: You have 10 months left of 33. Dental school is expensive. If it is anything like med school in terms of getting at least your first summer off, you will likely have a 9 month school year (give or take). Chances are you will likely be able to save at least 1 day to be eligible for the BAH with 31 if/when you sign your paperwork. IF you are accepted for Voc Rehab sooner than Dec-ish, you could stop GI Bill and switch to voc rehab mid-year (therefore using only 4ish months of GI Bill). Since you don't know yet - don't take out the loans. Debt free is the way to be when it's a viable, non-obligated option. That interest will accrue and you'll dislike it very much, I'm sure. I would start with GI Bill while waiting for Voc rehab, then switch ASAP if/when approved. If not approved for whatever reason, you at least won't have debt as soon, which means less time to accrue interest before you can work and pay anything off.
That's what I was thinking too. It would've been nice to have 33 in residency. Even dentists are required to have at least a PGY1 to obtain licensure in some states.
So, my school is private. The annual cap will not cover all of tuition, even with Yellow Ribbon. How does it work as far as remaining entitlement as a monetary function? Meaning, let's say I get approved for 31 in December; 5 months in. However, due to price, I've already reached my annual cap. Do I have any remaining entitlements left? I would GUESS that I would, because I can continue to collect the living stipend for the next 5 months, just no more tuition will be paid by the VA, unless approved for 31.
It would be nice to be approved for the entire cost of the program, not just my remaining balance. Either way, it is a very good deal.
It sounds like there is lots of wiggle room here, and individual VRC's and officers hold a LOT of power. I hope I get someone cool like some of you guys did. I also hope that if I don't get a good counselor, I have enough time to go up their chain before my 33 runs out.

Thank you for the feedback!! I really appreciate it. If anyone else has advice I will gladly take that as well!

I would bank on a year to get your rating from the VA. It's sad but even that can be fast; I've helped vets that took a year+ to get initial rating, then another 2 years to appeal before they got their deserved rating. My personal experience was about the same time frame. I was on TDRL from the Army at the time however and it seemed the VA waiting for the army to move me to PDRL before they would complete my appeal.

If you hit the cap in the first semester and already have to take out at least a small loan, the GI Bill will then [as it appears with the situation you stated] pay out only BAH which means it's using up remaining benefit. If you're going to have to take out a loan for tuition for 2nd semester as it is, take out extra for living costs for that period just in case, so if you don't get voc rehab (or in time), you can use it for first semester again the following year and get the bulk of tuition taken care of again. If Voc Rehab comes into play, you'll be fine then on out. By doing it this way, lets say Voc Rehab (or rating) doesn't go through, then with having at least 1 day left, if you start a new semester (year 3 now), you should have tuition paid for for the whole semester (up to the cap). I could be misunderstanding how that works though, but I've spoken with people who have claimed that with only days-1 mont left, the GI Bill paid for the semester in its entirety.

So again: If the rating or Voc Rehab don't go thorough, or take forever, use your GI Bill only during fall semesters when tuition will have best coverage, and you're overall time of receiving BAH is the same (or a little more however, while tuition for a semester would be paid, I don't know that you would receive BAH beyond your actual last day of 33).

If you hit the cap in the first semester and already have to take out at least a small loan, the GI Bill will then [as it appears with the situation you stated] pay out only BAH which means it's using up remaining benefit. If you're going to have to take out a loan for tuition for 2nd semester as it is, take out extra for living costs for that period just in case, so if you don't get voc rehab (or in time), you can use it for first semester again the following year and get the bulk of tuition taken care of again. If Voc Rehab comes into play, you'll be fine then on out. By doing it this way, lets say Voc Rehab (or rating) doesn't go through, then with having at least 1 day left, if you start a new semester (year 3 now), you should have tuition paid for for the whole semester (up to the cap). I could be misunderstanding how that works though, but I've spoken with people who have claimed that with only days-1 mont left, the GI Bill paid for the semester in its entirety.

So again: If the rating or Voc Rehab don't go thorough, or take forever, use your GI Bill only during fall semesters when tuition will have best coverage, and you're overall time of receiving BAH is the same (or a little more however, while tuition for a semester would be paid, I don't know that you would receive BAH beyond your actual last day of 33).
Holy crap I didn't even think about that! That's an awesome idea. This way I get two years of tuition cap, plus 2 years of Yellow Ribbon, and it buys me more time to get me my initial rating and the ch31 process.
Genius, man.

I have a business degree too, lol. So you can see how much THAT helped me here. Hopefully though, it won't be a barrier to getting ch31.

Thanks for the advice! Definitely solid stuff.

I have a meeting with a counselor at the end of August. I had to call to reschedule the original appt they mailed me. She was really nice and chatty but was eluding to the difficulties of getting approved with a 10% rating.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. I have a plan for the meeting. What I'm rated for does directly affect the most readily available job I'm qualified for, and I did "try it out" for 2 weeks this summer in between courses.

Anyone have any insight on being approved with a 10% rating? Trying to determine whether I should risk it and use the GI bill this fall for undergrad. I haven't touched it yet.

I have a meeting with a counselor at the end of August. I had to call to reschedule the original appt they mailed me. She was really nice and chatty but was eluding to the difficulties of getting approved with a 10% rating.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. I have a plan for the meeting. What I'm rated for does directly affect the most readily available job I'm qualified for, and I did "try it out" for 2 weeks this summer in between courses.

Anyone have any insight on being approved with a 10% rating? Trying to determine whether I should risk it and use the GI bill this fall for undergrad. I haven't touched it yet.

Disclaimer: I am not a Voc Rehab counselor, just a vet. When I went through ACAP and the Voc Rehab classes last year, they made it sound like it would be difficult for anyone not medically "retired" (I believe >30% rating now) to qualify for benefits. The examples provided by the counselors were for 70-100%. Maybe it depends on the nature of the injury...people are getting automatic 10% for tinnitus these days, so that number alone may not get your foot in the door. That being said, it can't hurt to ask, right? I wish you luck! Thanks for your service.

It took no longer than 6 months I think, it may have took less actually I have to look at the paperwork. Not only that, but I worked with a veteran advocate so that may have helped tremendously (never go at it alone, get in contact with your local va advocate or even someone at closest American legion post) when it was finalized they even back payed me to 2013, which was when I got released from the reserves (did 4 years active and did 2 reserves). I'm not saying this to brag, but rather because I don't understand why it takes a guy who has bullet scars, may have lost limb, hearing loss or some eyesight and may have tbi etc, years to get a rating and me who doesn't have those kinds of injuries a matter of months. I honestly think it depends on where you live, I lived in WY at the time in a town with no more than 75k people, full va hospital but smaller than most va hospitals, I didn't know a single vet living there that it took such massive amounts of time, even my dad whose a Vietnam vet never had to wait long for anything evan back a couples decades ago. I think bigger places with more veterans may take longer to get a rating...I've moved to a bigger city recently and can clearly see it takes longer to get most things done through the VA than it did where I left from.

Disclaimer: I am not a Voc Rehab counselor, just a vet. When I went through ACAP and the Voc Rehab classes last year, they made it sound like it would be difficult for anyone not medically "retired" (I believe >30% rating now) to qualify for benefits. The examples provided by the counselors were for 70-100%. Maybe it depends on the nature of the injury...people are getting automatic 10% for tinnitus these days, so that number alone may not get your foot in the door. That being said, it can't hurt to ask, right? I wish you luck! Thanks for your service.

There are multiple examples in this thread of vets (including myself) who have had it approved without having a medical retirement. Apply. The worst they can do is say no. Also, don't let an ahole counselor block you out, you should at least have a formal application that is not approved or a reason in writing why you cannot submit an application.

Last edited:
I've got VOC Rehab approved for my med school! Thank you @MusicDOc124, OP and everyone who contributed to this forum! I would have completely missed out on this opportunity without this thread! And it was a seamless process with 70% rating.
I have one question, which the counselor couldn't really answer. After I graduate, will I be able to use my remaining GI BILL during residency for BAH? Does anyone have a clear answer on this? Even if it won't, I'm just so grateful for what I'm offered!

Reactions: 5 users
I've got VOC Rehab approved for my med school! Thank you @MusicDOc124, OP and everyone who contributed to this forum! I would have completely missed out on this opportunity without this thread! And it was a seamless process with 70% rating.
I have one question, which the counselor couldn't really answer. After I graduate, will I be able to use my remaining GI BILL during residency for BAH? Does anyone have a clear answer on this? Even if it won't, I'm just so grateful for what I'm offered!

One thing you may need to look at is the time frame limitation for the GI bill. I know for me, it was like 10 years or something; if you had been out for longer than that you lost it.

One thing you may need to look at is the time frame limitation for the GI bill. I know for me, it was like 10 years or something; if you had been out for longer than that you lost it.
I was told 15 years today. I've been out less than a year, so I should be good =)

My spouse and I are both Veterans and since he is going to an international med school he was pretty much immediately denied at his VR&E initial eval from our local Regional Officer (RO). The only reason for disapproval was supposedly the international/foreign status of the school and the fact that the course is available within the US. We had all of the proof of the accreditations and success of the school, but she wouldn’t even look at it because she already had her reason for denial. We had done a lot of research so we pushed back enough for her to actually do some work and she did give some interesting feedback that I want to share with you.

In the M28R it says that foreign cases can be approved if the Veteran can prove a hardship. Then it gives some examples of hardships. We came armed with examples of our own of how hardship applies to our case. However, she said that ONLY the examples of hardship specifically outlined in the M28R will be approved, even though we explained that that is not how the Army uses regulations.
Then we went on to dissect the entirety of the M28R Foreign Cases section (M28R, Part V, Section C, Chapters 1-3) with her. What it came down to was the hardships. There are three “samples”:
1. The Veteran is married to a foreign national and his or her family resides in a foreign country.
2. The Veteran’s spouse is transferred to a military or civilian job in a foreign country and the Veteran accompanies his/her spouse to the foreign country.
3. The Veteran is employed in a foreign country.
Therefore if the Spouse of the Veteran is able to show proof of employment in said foreign country, supposedly the Veteran should be approved due to “hardship”.

The other option that the RO skimmed over is called a Retroactive Induction. I haven’t read all of the regulations on it, but there is a section in the M28R (M28R, Part IV, Section C, Chapter 2):
1. The period for which retroactive induction is requested is within the individual’s basic period of eligibility or extended eligibility as provided in 38 U.S.C. 3103 and 38 CFR 21.41 through 21.44.
2. The Veteran is entitled to disability compensation during the period for which retroactive induction is requested.
3. The individual meets the criteria of entitlement to VR&E services for the requested period.
4. The training pursued during the retroactive period is determined to be suitable for achieving the vocational goal of the individual’s rehabilitation plan.
So if you know you aren’t VR&E eligible before you start school, make sure you read up on this section and SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS!

Anyone else going to an international/foreign school and successfully approved for VR&E?

I hope this helps

Getting retro'd is hard. My VRC has been trying to get me retro'd for just a single semester now for 5+ months with no luck - and he actually wants to help me, so if you VRC doesn't really care, I doubt retro will work.

My spouse and I are both Veterans and since he is going to an international med school he was pretty much immediately denied at his VR&E initial eval from our local Regional Officer (RO). The only reason for disapproval was supposedly the international/foreign status of the school and the fact that the course is available within the US. We had all of the proof of the accreditations and success of the school, but she wouldn’t even look at it because she already had her reason for denial. We had done a lot of research so we pushed back enough for her to actually do some work and she did give some interesting feedback that I want to share with you.

In the M28R it says that foreign cases can be approved if the Veteran can prove a hardship. Then it gives some examples of hardships. We came armed with examples of our own of how hardship applies to our case. However, she said that ONLY the examples of hardship specifically outlined in the M28R will be approved, even though we explained that that is not how the Army uses regulations.
Then we went on to dissect the entirety of the M28R Foreign Cases section (M28R, Part V, Section C, Chapters 1-3) with her. What it came down to was the hardships. There are three “samples”:
1. The Veteran is married to a foreign national and his or her family resides in a foreign country.
2. The Veteran’s spouse is transferred to a military or civilian job in a foreign country and the Veteran accompanies his/her spouse to the foreign country.
3. The Veteran is employed in a foreign country.
Therefore if the Spouse of the Veteran is able to show proof of employment in said foreign country, supposedly the Veteran should be approved due to “hardship”.

The other option that the RO skimmed over is called a Retroactive Induction. I haven’t read all of the regulations on it, but there is a section in the M28R (M28R, Part IV, Section C, Chapter 2):
1. The period for which retroactive induction is requested is within the individual’s basic period of eligibility or extended eligibility as provided in 38 U.S.C. 3103 and 38 CFR 21.41 through 21.44.
2. The Veteran is entitled to disability compensation during the period for which retroactive induction is requested.
3. The individual meets the criteria of entitlement to VR&E services for the requested period.
4. The training pursued during the retroactive period is determined to be suitable for achieving the vocational goal of the individual’s rehabilitation plan.
So if you know you aren’t VR&E eligible before you start school, make sure you read up on this section and SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS!

Anyone else going to an international/foreign school and successfully approved for VR&E?

I hope this helps

What's the name of the foreign medical school?

Foreign medical school is a no go bc you have about 20-30% of being matched to a US residency.

What's the name of the foreign medical school?

Foreign medical school is a no go bc you have about 20-30% of being matched to a US residency.

That's not the reason for denial. It doesn't matter what the schooling is for.

That's not the reason for denial. It doesn't matter what the schooling is for.

You can argue with me all you want. There's a reason why HPSP is only for DO and MD students. Going to an international medical school is a no go.

Chapter 31 is used in order to get you a desired job. Going to an international medical school doesn't achieve that considering that there's a 50-60% attrition rate. Of those 50-40% that last to the final round, only 30-40% of them will get a residency in the US.

It seems this process is very specific to the counselor you end up getting. Navy vet 8 years, Corpsman with USMC infantry with 2 very kinetic combat tours. 90% rating. Told I did not have an employment handicap because I have a BA and am employable. I'm fighting it citing that I can get no job in the medical field based on what I have right now and my skills, aptitude and interests are all in practicing medicine, which the entry level training required is an MD/DO. Probably won't Go my way but we will see. Went to the meeting very open and was professional and courteous. All information was filled out beforehand and I had my acceptance letter in hand. So, this process is a hit or miss depending on who you get as a counselor and how the VR&E office operates and interprets the purposefully vague wording in the instruction. Just wanted to share my experience and perhaps get some advice from others who have gone through this situation. Thanks brothers/sisters!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It seems this process is very specific to the counselor you end up getting. Navy vet 8 years, Corpsman with USMC infantry with 2 very kinetic combat tours. 90% rating. Told I did not have an employment handicap because I have a BA and am employable. I'm fighting it citing that I can get no job in the medical field based on what I have right now and my skills, aptitude and interests are all in practicing medicine, which the entry level training required is an MD/DO. Probably won't Go my way but we will see. Went to the meeting very open and was professional and courteous. All information was filled out beforehand and I had my acceptance letter in hand. So, this process is a hit or miss depending on who you get as a counselor and how the VR&E office operates and interprets the purposefully vague wording in the instruction. Just wanted to share my experience and perhaps get some advice from others who have gone through this situation. Thanks brothers/sisters!

never quit.

I will do my due diligence for sure! Thanks for the motivation! It is a bit disheartening reading about all the success everyone has had and then get shut down. I honestly feel I wasn't given a fair assessment because of my goals (doctorate) vs the typical applicant. I don't feel this should be a negative though. We should push our veterans to excel and set high goals. Either way any help is appreciated and I will update as I can. Thanks!

never quit.

I will do my due diligence for sure! Thanks for the motivation! It is a bit disheartening reading about all the success everyone has had and then get shut down. I honestly feel I wasn't given a fair assessment because of my goals (doctorate) vs the typical applicant. I don't feel this should be a negative though. We should push our veterans to excel and set high goals. Either way any help is appreciated and I will update as I can. Thanks!

Talk to their supervisor, they can't stop you from doing that. You cannot get a job as a physician with a BA (I know you know this, it's just frustrating).
The bureaucracy is ridiculous....

Best of luck brother, you deserve this.

I had a master of science in public health, still got approved for vocational rehab. But you're right, it is very counselor dependent that's why you have to fight for it and don't take no for an answer. There's another vocational rehab thread in this subforum, just search for it and it should give you some additional information and support.

I will take a look thanks! Right, I am appealing the denial for sure. We will see how it goes!

I had a master of science in public health, still got approved for vocational rehab. But you're right, it is very counselor dependent that's why you have to fight for it and don't take no for an answer. There's another vocational rehab thread in this subforum, just search for it and it should give you some additional information and support.

If you quote their regs to them, the usually get the idea that you're the wrong person to steamroll.

So, in your case, they tell you you're employable. You tell them that said employment does not lie within your acceptable aptitude/interests/and abilities. You would do well to draw a connection from that career field to something on your ratings list.

If that doesn't work (as mentioned above) speak to their supervisor/request a different counselor. Repeat until someone says yes (see: squeaky wheel).

Good luck

I did just that. I emphasized that while yes you could find me a job right now, it doesn't fit those 3 aforementioned criterion. Basically they said it's vague for their interpretation. I am working through a representative through the Congress office but given that the feedback shows that the director of this particular VR&E office agrees with said counselor, I doubt an appeal will amount to anything.

Side note, the medical school I will be attending is not in this state, and I am wondering if there are any rules that state I cannot apply again when I move to that state? I may have a better outcome considering it's for training in the state they represent but I don't know if that's allowable?

If you quote their regs to them, the usually get the idea that you're the wrong person to steamroll.

So, in your case, they tell you you're employable. You tell them that said employment does not lie within your acceptable aptitude/interests/and abilities. You would do well to draw a connection from that career field to something on your ratings list.

If that doesn't work (as mentioned above) speak to their supervisor/request a different counselor. Repeat until someone says yes (see: squeaky wheel).

Good luck

I did just that. I emphasized that while yes you could find me a job right now, it doesn't fit those 3 aforementioned criterion. Basically they said it's vague for their interpretation. I am working through a representative through the Congress office but given that the feedback shows that the director of this particular VR&E office agrees with said counselor, I doubt an appeal will amount to anything.

Side note, the medical school I will be attending is not in this state, and I am wondering if there are any rules that state I cannot apply again when I move to that state? I may have a better outcome considering it's for training in the state they represent but I don't know if that's allowable?
Try to apply through a different office? email their boss. their boss. Do what you gotta do, its worth prolly 250K to keep trying.

I'm sorry you're getting the shaft. My experience was so painless. I went in without an mcat or an acceptance and they agreed to cover the rest of UG and then medical school. Totally depends on who you get (luck of the draw). My VRC told me other people in her office would never approve the plan, but she prided herself in following the law as written and empowering vets to pursue their dreams without a ceiling.

Sorry you've had bad luck, but victory will be all the sweeter for you when you finally get it.

never quit.

No worries, I will keep fighting. I know it can be done so I'll just keep doing what needs to be done. Thanks for your support!

Try to apply through a different office? email their boss. their boss. Do what you gotta do, its worth prolly 250K to keep trying.

I'm sorry you're getting the shaft. My experience was so painless. I went in without an mcat or an acceptance and they agreed to cover the rest of UG and then medical school. Totally depends on who you get (luck of the draw). My VRC told me other people in her office would never approve the plan, but she prided herself in following the law as written and empowering vets to pursue their dreams without a ceiling.

Sorry you've had bad luck, but victory will be all the sweeter for you when you finally get it.

never quit.

@HMtoDO .. send me a message with what you put above but condensed (busy studying) and I might be able to help with getting set up to be approved.

Hello,
I could really use some help. I am currently receiving tdui, and only have 26 days of my post 9/11 left. I applied to Voc Rehab educational track last year, and I was only approve for employment services. I went well prepared with my acceptance letter, transcripts, and letter expressing my desire to go to medical school. After listening to me for an hour, the counselor told me that I didn't meet the criteria for a serious handicap and that I was also not eligible because I had a degree in psychology. She stated that I needed to meet at least 3 of the requirements and that I only met two. She did mention a few of the requirements 1. receiving ssi 2.alcohol and drug addiction 3. taking psych meds. I also made sure to mention that the lack of job opportunities and inadequate pay in the field has led to me wanting to change my career. I also talked to her about my last two jobs in psychology that I have had since getting my degree (ended up resigning from both due to ptsd). I'm already enrolled in school, but would like to file a request for administrative review bc I feel like she gave me the run around. Has anyone every filed a review before? If so, please help me to figure out what to say in it.