Village of the Dinged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thrak

RU experienced?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to volunteer where they got dinged?

I just got my rejection letter from CUNY for the Social Psych PhD program. It wasn't the most superb fit, let me put it that way.

So... one down, seven to go!

Members don't see this ad.

It isn't official, but I'm a stamp away from being officially rejected from Arkansas. No news as of yet but they interview this upcoming Monday and no invite was sent this way :p Ah well, still holding out for the other 13 :p

I have not yet received any formal rejections, but 4 schools I applied to apparently already sent out invites and I only got an invite from 1 of them. *sigh* Though I know one school is very random with their interview invites so I'm not too concerned about that school yet. So yes... anyway.. I believe I can begin anxiously awaiting my rejection letters from the Clinical Psych PhD programs at UConn and Vanderbilt. Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
It isn't official, but I'm a stamp away from being officially rejected from Arkansas. No news as of yet but they interview this upcoming Monday and no invite was sent this way :p Ah well, still holding out for the other 13 :p

join the club, im in the same boat!!

I'll jump in - Auburn University on 1/25. Received an email letting me know I was not selected for an interview.

Rejected by Lehigh for school psych :(
They sent me an email saying that I wasn't selected for an interview and that I can pursue other avenues for my professional development.

Just got an email from Duke with my "official decision letter". Rejected. Man, I thought they might at least hold onto my info for a couple of weeks in case they made a second round of interview invitations. I guess you can't win 'em all...

Loyola (MD) rejected me for the Psy.D via mail today; however, the program would not have worked for me anyway.

Plus, they are accepting 15 people out of 350+ applications.

Hooray for the first rejection.

Just got an email from Duke with my "official decision letter". Rejected. Man, I thought they might at least hold onto my info for a couple of weeks in case they made a second round of interview invitations. I guess you can't win 'em all...
I just got my e-mail from the Duke Clinical program... rejected! Oh well. I had figured as much, but at least now I can officially move on!

I an e-mail last week, I think, saying I didn't get an invite to University of Georgia. I wasn't shocked - I looked back at my personal statement weeks after I'd sent it and realized that I did some really special cutting and pasting, thus my syntax in one paragraph looked like all my grammer had run out my ears. Oops. Oh well, it was one of the first applications I did and I hadn't smoothed out the wrinkles. I'm sure I have many opportunities to get more of those e-mails even with impeccable grammar. :rolleyes:

I got my OFFICIAL rejection letter from Univ of Kentucky yesterday. Their loss...:)

I just got my official rejection from the Texas Tech dept of psychology. The best part? That I can look forward to an additional rejection from their graduate arts and sciences division, sweet.

I am recently married so my GREs have my maiden name on them... everything else has my married name. I would like to point out that this is the *only* school that had a problem with this. They wanted me to fill out a name change form, I'm like okay?

Also, this sounds snotty... I don't really understand why I didn't at least get an interview here. They have someone who does the *exact* same research and he's not listed as not taking students. my gpa is higher, ALL my sections/ subject gres are way higher, I have posters and lots of research/ conference experience, I'm helping put together a computer program in statistics at a decent school, AND in 2006 they only had 126 applicants! ARRRRGGGH, this one dinged BIG time. :(

interview invites for Fordham went out and none for me. :(. i knew it was a reach - their mean Q GRE was 80 pts higher than mine (although the reverse is true for the V, but that doesn't count so much), and a 500 word limit PS for a non-traditional student like me was a challenge - i'm sure there were other folks who were able to better explain their story and research in limited space. it was also a general application, you apply to the school and not to a POI, which was hard for me since I am very interested in le research.

and their admissions people were very snotty. vent over!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was rejected from Berkeley's social program this weekend. My POI called me personally.

Good luck all.

I just got my official rejection from the Texas Tech dept of psychology. The best part? That I can look forward to an additional rejection from their graduate arts and sciences division, sweet.

I am recently married so my GREs have my maiden name on them... everything else has my married name. I would like to point out that this is the *only* school that had a problem with this. They wanted me to fill out a name change form, I'm like okay?

Also, this sounds snotty... I don't really understand why I didn't at least get an interview here. They have someone who does the *exact* same research and he's not listed as not taking students. my gpa is higher, ALL my sections/ subject gres are way higher, I have posters and lots of research/ conference experience, I'm helping put together a computer program in statistics at a decent school, AND in 2006 they only had 126 applicants! ARRRRGGGH, this one dinged BIG time. :(

Without disclosing my personal stats, I was equally confident, and similarly rejected.

I have the notion that George Mason will not be extending me an interview and this no doubt will elicit the same response.

Virginia Consortium reject :(

not from this year, but a funny story to tell. when i applied the first time around, i applied to university of georgia. in february, they e-mailed me a rejection and mailed me a hard copy. in april, again, they e-mailed me a rejection and mailed me a hard copy. i wanted to tell them that they didn't have to reject me 4 times! i got the picture the first time!

Yep, today was a good day for rejections:

-Univ of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, postmark 1/31

-University of Kentucky, postmark 1/29

Both were for clinical PhD :(

I was rejected from Berkeley's social program this weekend. My POI called me personally.

Good luck all.

Wow, is that the norm at Berkeley? Its very personable of the POI but I would be caught off gaurd and would not know what to say!

Wow, is that the norm at Berkeley? Its very personable of the POI but I would be caught off gaurd and would not know what to say!

Yea I feel like that would be an awkward conversation. It's a nice gesture though; it probably means you were high on his/her list. maybe it just wasn't the right year for your poi to accept students. Still sucky though.

Yea I feel like that would be an awkward conversation. It's a nice gesture though; it probably means you were high on his/her list. maybe it just wasn't the right year for your poi to accept students. Still sucky though.

No it's not the norm. I have a connection with my POI as I am helping her with one of her studies. As a courtesy, she reached out to me to give me the bad news--which I appreciated. It wasn't awkward really. I was grateful that she was able to give me the news first hand.

good luck.

Dear shock-me-sane,
Your application for admission to Arizona State University to study in the Psychology (PhD) program has been carefully reviewed by your department. Based on their recommendation, I regret to inform you that we cannot act favorably on your application.

*sigh*
I knew this one was coming, but at least I have other interviews and that helps buffer the sucky factor.

"Dear Duckygirl,

Thank you for your interest in graduate studies in The College at the University of Rochester. Each year we receive more applications from highly qualified candidates than our school can offer admission. Our admissions committees are faced with difficult decisions and I am sorry that we can not offer you admission to the Department of Clinical Psychology at this time. We wish you the best in your graduate study endeavors elsewhere.

Sincerely,

The College Graduate Studies Office"

Dang. I think I brought this one upon myself today with all of my whining. I knew this was a reach, but it would have been awesome, and it was the ONLY school where I had a connection. Dang.

"Dear Duckygirl,

Thank you for your interest in graduate studies in The College at the University of Rochester. Each year we receive more applications from highly qualified candidates than our school can offer admission. Our admissions committees are faced with difficult decisions and I am sorry that we can not offer you admission to the Department of Clinical Psychology at this time. We wish you the best in your graduate study endeavors elsewhere.

Sincerely,

Dang. I think I brought this one upon myself today with all of my whining. I knew this was a reach, but it would have been awesome, and it was the ONLY school where I had a connection. Dang.

Stay strong Ducky Girl!

Mark

"Dear Duckygirl,

Sincerely,

Just out of curiosity, who did you apply to work with at univ of rochester? I did my undergrad at univ of rochester.

UCLA rejection via online decision letter today ... saw this one coming :(

UCLA rejection via online decision letter today ... saw this one coming :(

Did they email this? My decision status online still says that no decision has been made. Although I didn't get an interview invite so I'm pretty sure I've already been rejected.

Did they email this? My decision status online still says that no decision has been made. Although I didn't get an interview invite so I'm pretty sure I've already been rejected.

Yes, here is the email I received:

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 00:12:34 -0800 [03:12:34 AM EST]
[email protected]
To:
magpie77
Subject:
UCLA Graduate Application Decision

Dear Applicant:

A decision has been made on your application for Psychology for Fall 2008.

If you have not already done so, please log in at the following link to
check your decision status:

https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/newapp/ and select Decision Status at the bottom of the page

If you have any questions about the decision, please contact your
department directly at:

Psychology
1285 Franz Hall
Box 951563
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
[email protected]
(310) 825-2617

Dear Empathiosis,

I regret to inform you that the Admissions Committee of the Virginia Consortium Program in Clinical Psychology has not recommended you for admission at this time. I trust you will be able to adjust your educational and professional plans successfully in accordance with this decision.

On behalf of the Graduate Deans of the sponsoring institutions, I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

So there's the complete text of Rejection #1 ... More to follow I'm sure.

Dear Empathiosis,

I regret to inform you that the Admissions Committee of the Virginia Consortium Program in Clinical Psychology has not recommended you for admission at this time. I trust you will be able to adjust your educational and professional plans successfully in accordance with this decision.

On behalf of the Graduate Deans of the sponsoring institutions, I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

So there's the complete text of Rejection #1 ... More to follow I'm sure.

I also received this rejection letter, and I must say, it kind of pissed me off. Just the way they worded it..."I trust you will be able to adjust your plans in accordance with this decision." I don't know why, that sentence just rubbed me the wrong way. I will be able to adjust Virginia Consortium, thank you very much!

I also received this rejection letter, and I must say, it kind of pissed me off. Just the way they worded it..."I trust you will be able to adjust your plans in accordance with this decision." I don't know why, that sentence just rubbed me the wrong way. I will be able to adjust Virginia Consortium, thank you very much!

I'm so glad you said that. I thought I was just being hypersensitive. It has a condescending tone. In fact, I found that same tone present throughout a lot of their documentation. Remember that whole "Read this first" notice at the beginning of the application where they go into detail about the differences between the PsyD and the PhD? I thought that was really unnecessary and it just had a haughty tone to it. Also, why can't they get with it and have an online app? It's the only program I applied to that still had a paper application. I mean really! (And this isn't just sour grapes.)

Oh man, you guys want to hear a tone! Here's the response I got from UPenn to my email checking my app. status:

I don't think you will be admitted. We plan to send out
rejections tomorrow. I wish you well elsewhere.

Jon
Chair, Psychology PhD Program

Duke and UNC had nicer responses, but still the same answer...Lame

Oh man, you guys want to hear a tone! Here's the response I got from UPenn to my email checking my app. status:

Jon

What? That's hilarious! :laugh: :laugh: Utterly devoid of tact and good manners. On the other hand, so refreshingly direct.

I've gotten letters from Clark and University of Nevada, Reno, and an online thingy from UCLA. I expect them to start coming thick and fast now. I'm so glad I have this forum to already know when interview invites were coming out so I've already given up hope for this year. It's rather a relief!

I just received an email from my POI at University of North Carolina Greensboro saying that although my application is very competitive and looks great on paper, she cannot invite me for an interview because they have to give priority to in-state applicants. Is this common for clinical psych phd programs or do you think this was just a way for her to let me down gently? I didn't think state of residence had an effect on the strength of your application. She also told me to keep in contact with her in case none of her interviewees work out.

I just received an email from my POI at University of North Carolina Greensboro saying that although my application is very competitive and looks great on paper, she cannot invite me for an interview because they have to give priority to in-state applicants. Is this common for clinical psych phd programs or do you think this was just a way for her to let me down gently? I didn't think state of residence had an effect on the strength of your application. She also told me to keep in contact with her in case none of her interviewees work out.

I have a hypothesis: Since most Ph.D. programs waive tuition, SOMEBODY has to pay for it. In-state tuition is cheaper; therefore, if they admit in-state applicants then their waiver costs the program less.

Yeah, that makes sense. I looked up the program costs and out of out-of-state tuition is like 4 times more expensive. It stinks though because I gladly would have became a NC resident asap. Anyway, thanks for your response!

I have a hypothesis: Since most Ph.D. programs waive tuition, SOMEBODY has to pay for it. In-state tuition is cheaper; therefore, if they admit in-state applicants then their waiver costs the program less.

I'm so glad you said that. I thought I was just being hypersensitive. It has a condescending tone. In fact, I found that same tone present throughout a lot of their documentation. Remember that whole "Read this first" notice at the beginning of the application where they go into detail about the differences between the PsyD and the PhD? I thought that was really unnecessary and it just had a haughty tone to it. Also, why can't they get with it and have an online app? It's the only program I applied to that still had a paper application.

When I applied almost every program was paper, and the ones that were electronic were very basic info (general app stuff), and the rest had to be mailed in anyway....

*starts telling the story of having to walk up hill in the snow (both ways!) in the snow to get to school.....*

:D

When I applied almost every program was paper, and the ones that were electronic were very basic info (general app stuff), and the rest had to be mailed in anyway....

*starts telling the story of having to walk up hill in the snow (both ways!) in the snow to get to school.....*

:D

I remember the paper-only days. I first applied to doctoral programs back in 1995 when you were still an undergrad perhaps?

My best friend applied to doctoral programs only four years ago and none of his apps were online. Another one applied last year and everything was online.

I've found the larger schools and Ivies tend to have entire process online, and it's so much easier ...

I received a rejection letter yesterday from Utah State University. They claimed I was being rejected because my application was missing my GRE scores, BOTH sets of transcripts, and one or more of my letters of recommendation. :mad:
I checked my records and I was sending everything to the right place. I am a bit annoyed because I heard from one of my professors that USU was having great difficult with their applications and had lost some information for one of my classmates. Somehow I doubt that ETS decided not to send my GRE report, my current institution and my previous institution decided not to send my transcripts, and my current facult decided not to send letters. Call me nutty, but I'm just not that paranoid yet.

Got an e-mail rejection yesterday from Suffolk U. It was definitely the poorest match out of all the schools I applied to, so I sort of saw it coming (and I don't want to live in Boston, anyway...Mmm, cognitive dissonance).

I received a rejection letter yesterday from Utah State University. They claimed I was being rejected because my application was missing my GRE scores, BOTH sets of transcripts, and one or more of my letters of recommendation. :mad:
I checked my records and I was sending everything to the right place. I am a bit annoyed because I heard from one of my professors that USU was having great difficult with their applications and had lost some information for one of my classmates. Somehow I doubt that ETS decided not to send my GRE report, my current institution and my previous institution decided not to send my transcripts, and my current facult decided not to send letters. Call me nutty, but I'm just not that paranoid yet.

did you get delivery confirmation for your apps.? because that is just rediculous, and while they can't refund you the time and effort you spent on your app., they should at least refund you your fee.

i had a school that i had to send my gre's to FOUR TIMES. thankfully, they notified me that they hadn't received them before apps were sent to the dept (at that point i had only sent them 3 times). another school i'm now out of the running for because when i called initially to check on my app. admissions said they were too busy and couldn't give me any info.

when i called back a few weeks later, apps had already been sent up and mine was held back due to a missing gre score.

i hope i hope i hope i do not have to do this again, but if i do i may ask for duplicate copies of all my letters (i ordered extra transcripts) in case they "disappear" and make sure to send photocopies of my gre scores with all my other app. materials.

there must be some reason i am not grasping as to why this process is so difficult.

I was just rejected from UCLA this morning by email.

I was rejected by the University of Nevada-Reno. This is my first ding....and it hurts, too, because I really liked their program. :(

Oh, well........

I was rejected by the University of Nevada-Reno. This is my first ding....and it hurts, too, because I really liked their program. :(

Oh, well........

WHAT? THOSE BASTARDS! :mad: No one turns down PsychResearchGo unless I approve it! Don't worry, love conquers all! :love: I am glad you will not be going there. They do not deserve someone like you! Just remember Belushi's lines from Animal House: "Nothing is over until I say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? (Pearl Harbor? Don't stop him. He's on a role). When the going gets tough...the tough get going! Now who is with me?"

Jon

Dude. That's just harsh. :thumbdown:

I got a rejection letter from Univ of Cincinnati yesterday. Their loss.

rejected by Boston College by snail mail today. Social personality track.

Good luck all.

Berkeley yesterday and Duke today via email...

Just got rejected from USF :( bummer... i would have loved the warm sunny campus :) haha