Village of the Dinged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rejected from Loyola in Maryland, Virginia Consortium, and University of Indianapolis so far. Oh, and one more - LaSalle.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Proactive Rejection from UDel. POI was very nice and stated he has found someone who was a better fit in terms of research background and specific interests. Unofficial ding #13.

official NYU ding via mail (#3)

unofficial CUNY ding (not called) which is fine, since going to interviews totally changed the way I thought about a number of programs, and CUNY showed itself as less of a good fit for my interests and St. John's as totally sweet and now shares the spot of my #1 choice with another school which I already know about so oh please will they just get back to us before my head explodes. 'cause i kinda need that for grad school.

not from this year, but a funny story to tell. when i applied the first time around, i applied to university of georgia. in february, they e-mailed me a rejection and mailed me a hard copy. in april, again, they e-mailed me a rejection and mailed me a hard copy. i wanted to tell them that they didn't have to reject me 4 times! i got the picture the first time!

You must be even more special than I am! I only got 3 rejections from Georgia. My third one came today in the mail! Let's see, there was the first one, sent by email telling me I would only get an interview if they were desperate, the second email telling me I wouldn't be considered any longer and the third hard copy to just make sure I can take a hint, I guess! I went there for my undergrad and have heard it's hard to get into the program if you graduated from UGA.

not from this year, but a funny story to tell. when i applied the first time around, i applied to university of georgia. in february, they e-mailed me a rejection and mailed me a hard copy. in april, again, they e-mailed me a rejection and mailed me a hard copy. i wanted to tell them that they didn't have to reject me 4 times! i got the picture the first time!

So last night WVU and Pittsburgh were playing each other in basketball (both schools I got rejected from) and I found myself yelling 'WVU AND PITTSBURGH SUCK, YOU CAN BOTH KISS MY A$$" at the TV

I feel MUCH better now. :D

I hope that was very cathartic for you. I have a feeling that I'll be doing the same next year when USF plays football. I don't think many of the schools I got rejected from are in the NCAA tournament (except UGA, and I went there for my undergrad).

You must be even more special than I am! I only got 3 rejections from Georgia. My third one came today in the mail! Let's see, there was the first one, sent by email telling me I would only get an interview if they were desperate, the second email telling me I wouldn't be considered any longer and the third hard copy to just make sure I can take a hint, I guess! I went there for my undergrad and have heard it's hard to get into the program if you graduated from UGA.

When I've gotten multiple rejections from the same school, I've told my husband that not only did the school think I wasn't a good applicant for their program, but they thought so little of my qualifications that they assumed I'd be too stupid to understand the first rejection letter! :D

I FINALLY got dinged from Univ of Wisconsin - Madison (Clinical PhD). I was getting bugged that long after I had accepted an offer, I still hadn't heard a peep from them!

Anyway, update is online: "We are sorry to inform you that you have not been admitted to the Graduate School at UW-Madison. A letter has been mailed."

I got letters from UNC Chapel Hill and USC. Oh, and a while ago I got a second letter from University of Nevada Reno - along with an offer to participate in what sounds like a post-bac program with something like nine credits or something. I'm gonna have to say no to that.

Carleton University (official) by snail mail...

Members don't see this ad :)
"I am sorry to inform you that your application for graduate study in the Department of Psychology at the University of Pittsburgh was not approved. We are able to admit less than 5 percent of the over 400 people who apply each year. Since we must choose from among many qualified applicants, the selection process is very competitive. Often we are not able to extend offers of admission to excellent candidates because their research interests do not match those of the faculty, or because a given faculty member is not taking new students, or because sufficient funding is not available.

We appreciate your interest in our department, and we wish you well in achieving your career goals."

Dinged - Binghamton, Stony Brook, LIU CW Post, Rutgers and University of Buffalo
and I'm waiting for two more rejection letters :D

reeee-jected...
Miami University (Ohio)
Snail mail letter postmarked 3/18

I FINALLY got dinged from Univ of Wisconsin - Madison (Clinical PhD). I was getting bugged that long after I had accepted an offer, I still hadn't heard a peep from them!

Anyway, update is online: "We are sorry to inform you that you have not been admitted to the Graduate School at UW-Madison. A letter has been mailed."

If it helps, my advisor says that they have a bad clinical program (unless you're only interested in research).

If it helps, my advisor says that they have a bad clinical program (unless you're only interested in research).

Thanks for trying to help, but...I'm hoping to stay in the research/academic world. That being said, Univ of WI - Madison, is one of the most respected clinical PhD programs in the nation. I just didn't have what it took to get in...more power to those who do!

Adelphi, sort of. I cancelled the interview, but i guess they wanted to have the last say!

Stony Brook - Social Psych, by snail mail, yesterday.

All that's left for me is Columbia's official rejection, and I can put this application season to rest.

Ok...I'll go ahead and get these of my chest.

I was turned down from Marquette Counseling phd after being on the waitlist sometime in February. Accepted to masters program but turned it down.

Still an alternate at the University of Florida but I highly doubt anything will come of it.

Rejected from Columbia Counseling phd quite a while ago also. Accepted to masters program but turning it down.

Lovely rejection letter from the University of Miami about a week ago. I just love sugar-coated rejections!

That's it for now guys! Anyone want to join in on my pity party??

Received the official 2nd rejection from Fordham via. snail mail. Which immediately joined the official 2nd rejection from LSU in the recycling bin. :)

rejected from UC Davis social program yesterday via online.
rejected from UT Austin social program last week via online and snail mail.

i also got the second fordham rejection.

what else, NYU,

and CUNY today.

Thats almost all of them!

By mail today-
Fordham
Rutgers
Stony Brook

So final tally thus far
Accepted-
New School for Social Research- Advanced Standing MA en route to PhD
Yeshiva- Clinical Health PhD
LIU- Clinical PhD

Withdrew after interview-
CW Post
Pace

Rejected-
CUNY
Rutgers
Fordham
Stony Brook
Yale
UCLA
FDU
Teacher's College

Still waiting on -
St Johns (interviewed there)
Hofstra (assumed rejection as I didn't interview there)

FINALLY officially denied by Purdue.

Last edited:
Signed, sealed, and delivered from UC Berkeley!

No interview = no surprise :)

*sigh. finally got that one (UCB) today.
I know someone posted earlier about U Pittsburgh's joint clinical/developmental program. Has anyone heard anything from their adult clinical program? I was assuming they were doing their admissions processes together, but maybe not...
Also, has anyone else heard from UW-Madison?

A little closure might be nice now (although I might also be kicking myself for saying that when I check my mailbox tomorrow...)

Rejected via snail mail, no interview.

Very unhappy with the application process and the program contact at Widener. I am an alum. of Widener with good grades (3.7 undergrad, 3.9 grad) and 1220 on the GREs. Some communication with the coordinator there indicates she may have accidentally misplaced my application until it was too late to be invited for an interiew. I'll definitely be following up after April 15 with them.

For the people that got a rejection from Rutgers, did your application status page change?

I have yet to get a letter from them and it still says no decision on the web page.

For the people that got a rejection from Rutgers, did your application status page change?

I have yet to get a letter from them and it still says no decision on the web page.

I got a rejection email from my POI at rutgers a few weeks ago.

Teachers College School Psych PhD via mail...I didn't interview with them so I wasn't surprised.

Ryerson University by snail mail 3/31.

Anyone else not hearing anything whatsoever from school? These are no-interview schools, so I know it is a rejection, but I was expecting an official letter either way...

Hmmm.

Anyone else not hearing anything whatsoever from school? These are no-interview schools, so I know it is a rejection, but I was expecting an official letter either way...

Hmmm.

4 of the 15 schools that I applied to haven't sent me anything. My friend who applied 2 years ago said she one rejection letter in June.

Columbia University Social Psych. Ding. And that's the end of my application round.

The final score:
Of 7 PhD applications: 6 rejections; 1 interview, leading to 1 acceptance
Of 1 MA application (that sometimes leads to their PhD): 1 acceptance

1/7 and a 1/1 safety. Relief.

Got an e-mail rejection yesterday from Suffolk U. It was definitely the poorest match out of all the schools I applied to, so I sort of saw it coming (and I don't want to live in Boston, anyway...Mmm, cognitive dissonance).

Lol I applied to Suffolk U also, but I didn't receive any rejection letter or interview invite. I swear most of the schools I applied to are waiting till last minute to reject me. I hate all this waiting around. Nobody has even told me I'm on a waiting list. I wish this process was more open and they would just tell us where we stand instead of having ur wait around.

I still haven't heard from Iowa State or UMCP Counseling Psych programs. I find it really annoying that they're not considerate enough to send a letter out early. I didn't get interviews at either place, so I know I'm rejected. But at least tell me early, like all the other schools managed to.

Hmmm.

CUNY Graduate Center - John Jay College of Criminal Justice (PhD)...

One more school to go (York) and I am finally done with this process!

Got my second to last official ding today from UW. Thought this was a pretty harsh one:

"Although your application materials indicated that you are qualified for graduate study in psychology, you were not as strong an applicant as others."

Ouch! You don't have to rub it in...

Even though I've accepted elsewhere & now just look at the letters for sport, this one stung a little bit.

Got my second to last official ding today from UW. Thought this was a pretty harsh one:

"Although your application materials indicated that you are qualified for graduate study in psychology, you were not as strong an applicant as others."

Ouch! You don't have to rub it in...

Even though I've accepted elsewhere & now just look at the letters for sport, this one stung a little bit.

I got mine from UW last week too. I was a very strong applicant but my research interests were a poor match for their faculty. Thing is, I realized that about a month after I applied, but still it's Seattle! Oh well :p

I got mine from UW last week too. I was a very strong applicant but my research interests were a poor match for their faculty. Thing is, I realized that about a month after I applied, but still it's Seattle! Oh well :p

Your's is way better. I'd rather be a very strong applicant with a poor match than a "qualified" applicant who is "not as strong as others". Ugh- as if my self-confidence wasn't already shot from this process.

Whatever, I'm in somewhere & they think I'm great, so that's all that matters, right?

Your's is way better. I'd rather be a very strong applicant with a poor match than a "qualified" applicant who is "not as strong as others". Ugh- as if my self-confidence wasn't already shot from this process.

Whatever, I'm in somewhere & they think I'm great, so that's all that matters, right?

DEFINITELY! Congratulations :D Notes to selves: must not dwell on the rejections.

Dinged from

Univ. of south carolina
UVA - curry
Georgia State
Univ at Albany
UNCG

Now I have no clue what I'm going to do. Oh well

I got rejections from:
Rutgers Clinical PhD
Pace School Clinical PsyD
aaaaaaaaand Fordham Clinical PhD.

ah well.. such is life :)