Village of the Dinged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ditto those above--remember, it only takes ONE good interview! All those other schools don't matter if you're accepted at a school you like.

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto those above--remember, it only takes ONE good interview! All those other schools don't matter if you're accepted at a school you like.

I know. It's just hard to be completely positive when so many people interview at several schools and don't get accepted anywhere.

I know. It's just hard to be completely positive when so many people interview at several schools and don't get accepted anywhere.

yes, but they are them and you are you and their experience has no bearing whatsoever on your experience. you will go on this interview and kick some butt. remember, this is the school with good judgment. the others don't know what they're doing. i have faith in you. i know you'll do well. if they didn't want you they would not have invited you.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, but they are them and you are you and their experience has no bearing whatsoever on your experience. you will go on this interview and kick some butt. remember, this is the school with good judgment. the others don't know what they're doing. i have faith in you. i know you'll do well. if they didn't want you they would not have invited you.

Thanks empathiosis!! :) I really appreciate it.

CUNY - that is just great. :mad: I bet all of you live somewhere in the NYC and have paid taxes that go to support CUNY and then they turn around and reject you. Of course, the same can be said of many state schools located in places where people are tax paying residences. Even worse is when these public schools accept people from out of state, or out of the city, over people who who have residency in the school's state/ city. I wonder if there is some type of legal recourse for this. State or public schools have to offer different rates of tuition for in state/ locale vs out of sate/ locale. If there were some type of legal precedent that gave an in state or in city resident preference for admissions to a public school within his/ her locale over a non-resident, this would completely shake up the academic world. The deck would be completely reshuffled. Public schools, or private schools which took state/ city money, could no longer easily draw the students from around the country or students would move to establish residency in a locale in which they wanted to attend a school. I would wager that there is a legal case to made but no one has ever bothered to challenge the academic establishment. Anyone here with a law background or with wealthy parents who wants to attempt to rock the boat?

1) I actually think it would be detrimental to the system if state schools showed preference to people from their own state (in terms of diversity, strength of applicants, etc.), but that's just me--I'm also not applying to any schools in my home state...

I agree that the diversity would be wrecked as well as the overall quality of students. However, my question is the legality and I have a suspicion, as explained in the aforementioned, that many legal tax paying residents are not getting what they deserve based on the law. "Don't take matters into your own hands. You take them to court!" :laugh:

So last night WVU and Pittsburgh were playing each other in basketball (both schools I got rejected from) and I found myself yelling 'WVU AND PITTSBURGH SUCK, YOU CAN BOTH KISS MY A$$" at the TV

I feel MUCH better now. :D

No interview here either- rejection was therefore not a surprise... just posted to add to the info. :)

Mine did not, and I would guess the others were the same, since about 5 of us received the letter on the same day.

So, is it just me or is getting rejected after an in-person interview a bit (read A LOT) more offensive/upsetting? :(

So, is it just me or is getting rejected after an in-person interview a bit (read A LOT) more offensive/upsetting? :(

That does hurt a lot more ... especially if you thought your in person interview went well (as I had believed in my case since my POI even had me talk to 2-3 extra lab members for more info). In hindsight, I can see where things went wrong ... and to be honest, the match wasn't ideal. That said, it still hurt and I won't lie, I even shed a few tears :eek:

What hurt me the most about my post-interview rejection were the comments I've read/heard about how interviews are meant for "screening out the crazies" and how those who are rejected post interview are socially inept, too confident, not confident enough, CRAZY, etc. That made me doubt myself and I even inquired with the DCT on this forum about whether or not that's true. He assured me it wasn't and reminded me that EVERYONE at interviews are highly qualified and even if my interviews went really well, someone who interviewed after me could have been a better match. Or maybe the POI did like me but another faculty member didn't want to admit me over an alternative student who did better on their GRE. Whatever. You never know and it really does hurt to get rejected, but you get over it! You will survive!!!

That does hurt a lot more ... especially if you thought your in person interview went well (as I had believed in my case since my POI even had me talk to 2-3 extra lab members for more info). In hindsight, I can see where things went wrong ... and to be honest, the match wasn't ideal. That said, it still hurt and I won't lie, I even shed a few tears :eek:

What hurt me the most about my post-interview rejection were the comments I've read/heard about how interviews are meant for "screening out the crazies" and how those who are rejected post interview are socially inept, too confident, not confident enough, CRAZY, etc. That made me doubt myself and I even inquired with the DCT on this forum about whether or not that's true. He assured me it wasn't and reminded me that EVERYONE at interviews are highly qualified and even if my interviews went really well, someone who interviewed after me could have been a better match. Or maybe the POI did like me but another faculty member didn't want to admit me over an alternative student who did better on their GRE. Whatever. You never know and it really does hurt to get rejected, but you get over it! You will survive!!!

Thanks childphdapp. It makes me feel better to hear another applicant say that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dinged from Princeton's Social Psych PhD.

Emailed to find out status, and, well, that's it.

I'm hopefully going to get proactive dings from a few more programs over the next couple of days (as opposed to waiting until April to find out).

i recently went on my first group interview. whereas before i'd look at the other applicants around me and chat, in this group interview i got to see three other canidates discuss thier research and clinical work and make a case for why they should be in the program. they were all amazing -- look, i think i came across as pretty awesome too, but it made me feel better to see A) how great these other applicants were, that these awesome folks were my colleuges and B) that we were all so different. some of us had more health expereinces, some spmi, some eating disorders, some college counseling, and such diverse and interesting research! and everyone was charming, kind, and well spoken. while i would LOVE LOVE to get into this program, i now can understand that if i didn't, it wouldn't have to be that i'm not great or qualified, but more that someone else may have the kind of great that they are looking for to make up this particular cohort, this particular year. it made me feel better, seeing how hard thier choices must be (though i still hope they choose me!)

Ding #2: Simon Fraser University (SFU)

I also received this rejection letter, and I must say, it kind of pissed me off. Just the way they worded it..."I trust you will be able to adjust your plans in accordance with this decision." I don't know why, that sentence just rubbed me the wrong way. I will be able to adjust Virginia Consortium, thank you very much!
I was turned off by this letter as well. The terseness of it just felt inconsiderate.

Checked my online status today and found this:

Your application has been reviewed, and the Committee has denied admission.

So that's four official rejections for me.

I've already accepted an offer elsewhere, but I thought this might be helpful:

"Clinical Psychology Interview Day is Friday, February 29. Students have been invited to see the campus that day and interview with faculty and graduate students. Offers will then be made to some of them."

Checked my online status today and found this:

Your application has been reviewed, and the Committee has denied admission.

So that's four official rejections for me.

New Jersey, New Jersey,

Heartache to Heartbreak:love:

I'll always have Newark International

New Jersey, New Jersey,

Heartache to Heartbreak:love:

I'll always have Newark International

And then, to add insult to injury, I got a call from a current student tonight asking for money. It's their annual alumni fundraising drive and I'm an alum from a master''s program. Like an idiot, I said I would give them money again. I should have said not now, I'm still sore from your rejection.

Rejected from LIU Brooklyn PhD, by mail, 3/8.

Clinical program. Got a letter in the mail today, 3/8. I was wondering if my application was even processed, nice to know I completed it correctly. I pretty much figured I wasn't going here, since I didn't get an interview and they already sent out acceptances, haha.

So last night WVU and Pittsburgh were playing each other in basketball (both schools I got rejected from) and I found myself yelling 'WVU AND PITTSBURGH SUCK, YOU CAN BOTH KISS MY A$$" at the TV

I feel MUCH better now. :D

As someone who's from West Virginia and went to WVU, I resent that. :laugh:

Anyway, I had originally applied to George Washington's Psy.D, but withdrew my application over six weeks ago. FWIW, they sent me a rejection this week, but I'm told many programs do that when you withdraw from the process.

NYU Social PhD, Dinged by letter.

Relatively polite. That just leaves Columbia and Stony Brook to ding me.

The Rutgers acceptance really makes this so much easier to take :D

Ding today (3/10) by letter (#6 - not that I am counting) - as expected since I wasn't invited to interview

UCSB- ding #4. Not a big surprise, via a dumb email from the graduate studies telling me to check my status online. The email ended up in my junk mail. Puh.

Okay...soooo, this I think is one of the worst stories ever (except one I read earlier about someone applying and then the school rejected EVERYONE due to lack of funding)...but, here goes.

I had an interview from 8-8 ON MY BIRTHDAY :mad: to one of my top choice schools. I am told I'm only competing with 2 other applicants and so I get my hopes wayyyy wayyyy up.

I meet my POI at a pre-interview party and they are SOSOSOSOSO sweet....(can we say "hopes get higher?")

All my other interviews have been a piece of cake, so I figure I have it in the bag.

Well, interview day comes around, and apparently the word has gotten around that I'm into psychometrics.

My first interview is with a statistician who has apparently been telling everyone that he plans on quizzing me when he meets me. Cue, multiple regression EXAM. I lovee stats, but I haven't reviewed it in a year or so, so a popquiz on the parameters of various multiple regression lines was kind of nervewracking.

He says I did GREAT on the stats part, but that "nothing in [my] resume' indicates an interest in clinical psych, as I have not had previous clinical experience, and that I should just join his I/O psych program which he heads."

I leave the interview 1) disappointed that he focused on my lack of clinical experience 2) wondering if I SHOULD apply to his I/O program and 3) five minutes late to my next interview because of the lecture on 1 and 2 that I was given.

I arrive to my interview with my POI, 5 minutes late, as mentioned....the first question is "are you skilled in computer programming?"

my thoughts? ...weird question, but okay.... "no, but I am willing to learn." standard response, right? Okay, well the next question is "did you read the article I sent you?"

I don't remember any articles...I either didn't get it or I got it and didn't look at it carefully enough...but since I had e-mailed a group of long-forgotten profs in advance saying I HAD read their articles, I couldn't deny having gotten it, since I MAY have. So, there as nothing to do but admit to not having the articles. NO harm done, I figure. I won't get into this school for sure, and I can leave the interview early, at 11 am and salvage some of my birthday!

WELL. He berates me for not having read it, for not having looked it up on Google or Pubmed, etc...and then prints out a 50-page article and gives me 1 1/2 hrs to read it. He tells me to come back AFTER interview day is completed and interview him again because whether or not I will be accepted to the school is ENTIRELY DEPENDENT UPON my understanding of the article or lack thereof.

Flash forward 90 minutes later.

I enter the office and am instructed to summarize the article. I come to a point where interrater reliability comes up and he asks me why omega was used instead of pearson product moment correlation (a fact which I learned later the 3rd year grad students at that program JUST learned), and of course I don't know, and I have to admit that. I know what PPMC is, but not the different between the two. He just keeps telling me to "think about it, you'll figure it out" and of course I can't. The rest of the interview proceeds as such and in the end, I actually get my hopes up again! He says he'll send me more articles, and to get more clinical experience as soon as possible to prepare myself and to call if I have any questions.

Three days later ALL the applicants for this Prof get mutually rejected because he wants someone with computer programming skills!!

This was the first question in the interview and we could have been done at that point. There was no need to make every single one of his applicants cry (which I was told he did), and to put all of them through such stress if he already knew he had no need of non-computer-programmers.

In fact, none of us needed to have been interviewed. A phone call would have sufficed if you ask me.

blagh.

waste of my last birthday before I have to move for grad school

Yuck! That sounds like a nightmare. I would have been so pissed!

I had some proactive dings from the following schools concordia, boston u, u miami! Trying to clear my application list as soon as possible so I can assess my options. U southern cal won't tell me my status for the next 2 weeks? Is that odd or do you think they are waiting to send out a mass rejection? Do schools tell you your waitlisted late in the process? I was told I was waitlisted by another school early in feb.

I got my second official rejection letter today from University of Missouri-St. Louis. (I had interviewed with them [telephone])

Okay...soooo, this I think is one of the worst stories ever (except one I read earlier about someone applying and then the school rejected EVERYONE due to lack of funding)...but, here goes.

I had an interview from 8-8 ON MY BIRTHDAY :mad: to one of my top choice schools. I am told I'm only competing with 2 other applicants and so I get my hopes wayyyy wayyyy up.

I meet my POI at a pre-interview party and they are SOSOSOSOSO sweet....(can we say "hopes get higher?")

All my other interviews have been a piece of cake, so I figure I have it in the bag.

Well, interview day comes around, and apparently the word has gotten around that I'm into psychometrics.

My first interview is with a statistician who has apparently been telling everyone that he plans on quizzing me when he meets me. Cue, multiple regression EXAM. I lovee stats, but I haven't reviewed it in a year or so, so a popquiz on the parameters of various multiple regression lines was kind of nervewracking.

He says I did GREAT on the stats part, but that "nothing in [my] resume' indicates an interest in clinical psych, as I have not had previous clinical experience, and that I should just join his I/O psych program which he heads."

I leave the interview 1) disappointed that he focused on my lack of clinical experience 2) wondering if I SHOULD apply to his I/O program and 3) five minutes late to my next interview because of the lecture on 1 and 2 that I was given.

I arrive to my interview with my POI, 5 minutes late, as mentioned....the first question is "are you skilled in computer programming?"

my thoughts? ...weird question, but okay.... "no, but I am willing to learn." standard response, right? Okay, well the next question is "did you read the article I sent you?"

I don't remember any articles...I either didn't get it or I got it and didn't look at it carefully enough...but since I had e-mailed a group of long-forgotten profs in advance saying I HAD read their articles, I couldn't deny having gotten it, since I MAY have. So, there as nothing to do but admit to not having the articles. NO harm done, I figure. I won't get into this school for sure, and I can leave the interview early, at 11 am and salvage some of my birthday!

WELL. He berates me for not having read it, for not having looked it up on Google or Pubmed, etc...and then prints out a 50-page article and gives me 1 1/2 hrs to read it. He tells me to come back AFTER interview day is completed and interview him again because whether or not I will be accepted to the school is ENTIRELY DEPENDENT UPON my understanding of the article or lack thereof.

Flash forward 90 minutes later.

I enter the office and am instructed to summarize the article. I come to a point where interrater reliability comes up and he asks me why omega was used instead of pearson product moment correlation (a fact which I learned later the 3rd year grad students at that program JUST learned), and of course I don't know, and I have to admit that. I know what PPMC is, but not the different between the two. He just keeps telling me to "think about it, you'll figure it out" and of course I can't. The rest of the interview proceeds as such and in the end, I actually get my hopes up again! He says he'll send me more articles, and to get more clinical experience as soon as possible to prepare myself and to call if I have any questions.

Three days later ALL the applicants for this Prof get mutually rejected because he wants someone with computer programming skills!!

This was the first question in the interview and we could have been done at that point. There was no need to make every single one of his applicants cry (which I was told he did), and to put all of them through such stress if he already knew he had no need of non-computer-programmers.

In fact, none of us needed to have been interviewed. A phone call would have sufficed if you ask me.

blagh.

waste of my last birthday before I have to move for grad school

brutality is so inefficient

Wow I'm sorry to hear about that, how ridiculously stressful! One really good thing though is that sometimes horrific interviews like that, make you appreciate being rejected, saving you the horror of spending your graduate career working under people like that!

Loyola Chic, Illinois-UC, MIchigan State and Wayne State (all clinical) have all submitted their request to withdraw from the FromTheHip sweepstakes. I am just going to assume it is because I am overqualified.

As far as I know I am STILL waitlisted at
Depaul
Toledo
Miami (ohio)
Bowling Green

BUt then again, I have been out of town for the last 2 weeks and their letters are probably waiting for me when I get home.

Oh well, just more lining for my bird's cage.

Received a very nice rejection letter from IUP on Monday. Even though they rejected me, they did so graciously and in a way that makes me feel hopeful because they say something like, "We are sure you will gain admittance to another doctoral program". OTOH, if they didn't want me what makes them think someone else will? (This was a post-interview rejection.)

Received a very nice rejection letter from IUP on Monday. Even though they rejected me, they did so graciously and in a way that makes me feel hopeful because they say something like, "We are sure you will gain admittance to another doctoral program". OTOH, if they didn't want me what makes them think someone else will? (This was a post-interview rejection.)

:( And I had a good feeling about this one

Has anyone received an official rejection from U of Arizona in Tucson?

Just got my official unofficial ding from SDSU/UCSD. Sigh, it was my biggest reach, but I would love love love to go there. Maybe I'll end up in SD for internship.

I got an e-mail that said it is highly unlikely I will be accepted and official e-mail notification will come from SDSU over e-mail soon.

Me too-also rejected from SDSU UCSD? Any one had a rejection from University Southern California?

Me too-also rejected from SDSU UCSD. Any one had a rejection from University Southern California?

Just got my official unofficial ding from SDSU/UCSD. Sigh, it was my biggest reach, but I would love love love to go there. Maybe I'll end up in SD for internship.

I got an e-mail that said it is highly unlikely I will be accepted and official e-mail notification will come from SDSU over e-mail soon.

Sigh....I received the same email but I didn't get an interview so I knew it was coming.

Official ding from U of Arizona clinical Ph.D. program via email. The reason for the ding?My POI was not available to take an additional new student this year :(. Oh well... I may end up applying again next year if I do not get in to my other other top choice.

Not a surprise, but the official paper DING from LSU arrived today.

Ding #3: University of Windsor (Official) - called and spoke to grad secretary.

Ding #4: Nova Southeastern University (Unofficial) - was informed that those that did not interview were unlikely to receive offers. Expecting official new by snail mail.

Still waiting on 5 more schools and will keep the thread updated.

ding via snail mail and 2 weeks after my interview. this was my "fall back" school. I'm very sad.:(

Ding #5: Queen's University (official) - through e-mail, a very informative and considerate one at that...but still ultimately a rejection!