Village of the Dinged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've gotten dinged a lot of times most of them I think feel some guilt... Hopefully anyways. The one from UPenn wasn't very nice. I wonder if we all receive the same rejection letters from the same programs. Doesn't anyone have any comparisons?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you type it in for us if that wouldn't be too traumatic for you? I think it can be therapeutic to laugh about how poorly some of these things are written ... and to try to figure out the minds that create these monstrosities.

I've gotten dinged a lot of times most of them I think feel some guilt... Hopefully anyways. The one from UPenn wasn't very nice. I wonder if we all receive the same rejection letters from the same programs. Doesn't anyone have any comparisons?

Just got rejected from USF :( bummer... i would have loved the warm sunny campus :) haha

CG,
Valentine's Day Massacre redux! :eek: Don't wory, there is more to life than fun in the sun. Think of it this way, with global warning taking its toll, in a another few years, the south and west coast will be unbearable and the north and midwest will be beach front property! I officially challenge you to a game of beach volleyball, next January in Minnesota and next February in Maine! Be sure to bring along a cooler so we can stay hydrated. I prefer beer! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
CG,
Valentine's Day Massacre redux! :eek: Don't wory, there is more to life than fun in the sun. Think of it this way, with global warning taking its toll, in a another few years, the south and west coast will be unbearable and the north and midwest will be beach front property! I officially challenge you to a game of beach volleyball, next January in Minnesota and next February in Maine! Be sure to bring along a cooler so we can stay hydrated. I prefer beer! :laugh:

Hahahaha :laugh: Thanks GiantSteps, you always know how to cheer me up! And actually, UVM was my top choice to which i am pretty surely rejected (no official email but i called my POI and she flat out told me... the honesty is refreshing i suppose...) So no beach v-ball for me in VT either!!! :) Although that will be the perfect climate a decade from now :)

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or just unaware of SF's weather. If it's the latter, I have good news for you- it's not sunny and warm there! It rains a lot and even in the summer it doesn't really get warm, I was there in July and it was like 65 and rainy. Southern California, on the other hand, is always sunny and warm (well except today). Oh how I will miss it!

i think she meant USF = University of South Florida? USan Francisco doesn't have a clinical phd program (I wish it did)

i think she meant USF = University of South Florida? USan Francisco doesn't have a clinical phd program (I wish it did)

Oh shoot! Then yes, that would be warm. I thought I was being so helpful....haha.

Received Rejection Letter #2 tonight. From the University of Wisconsin Madison. As far as these things go, I thought it was pretty well-written and encouraging. They refer to the opportunity to try again next year, but why would I want to reapply to a program that didn't even invite me to interview? :confused:

Sorry to hear. :( But if it helps, one of my profs (a clinician) says that UW Madison has a bad clinical program.

It doesn't help because I applied to the Counseling program! But that's ok. I don't want to go to a university that wouldn't admit me anyway. Poor judgment on their part.

If it helps, one of my profs (a clinician) says that UW Madison has a bad clinical program.

Received my first reject (via snail mail) from University of MD College Park Counseling Psych Program. Honestly I didn't feel bad at all...been accepted somewhere else plus my reasons for applying there really had nothing to do with any of the professors' research. UMCP has the #1 counseling program and I love the DC area...those were my reasons....shallow I know. LOL. If I was admitted I would be stuck doing research I have no interest in just b/c I love the DC area. Everything happens for a reason......:D

Just out of curiosity, was your professor saying that from an applied perspective? (ie. as a clinician?) Considering that their clinical phd program is generally considered one of the best research oriented programs in North America, I am wondering what he/she was basing that on??

(sorry about your rejection empathiosis. that blows).

Sorry to hear. :( But if it helps, one of my profs (a clinician) says that UW Madison has a bad clinical program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my official rejection from UConn in the mail. Ew.

Received my first reject (via snail mail) from University of MD College Park Counseling Psych Program. Honestly I didn't feel bad at all...been accepted somewhere else plus my reasons for applying there really had nothing to do with any of the professors' research. UMCP has the #1 counseling program and I love the DC area...those were my reasons....shallow I know. LOL. If I was admitted I would be stuck doing research I have no interest in just b/c I love the DC area. Everything happens for a reason......:D

I'm looking forward to one of those myself, but I would have liked to be there to do their research, especially with Hill and Gelso.

Just out of curiosity, was your professor saying that from an applied perspective? (ie. as a clinician?) Considering that their clinical phd program is generally considered one of the best research oriented programs in North America, I am wondering what he/she was basing that on??

(sorry about your rejection empathiosis. that blows).

Yup. He/she said that the APA actually had to step in because they used to be entirely experimental until pretty much after you graduated.

Wow. So, I was just rejected from a school that I was rejected from already. The first rejection came via email over a month ago. I just got the exact same email again. The only thing that changed was the date, typed out at the top of the email.

This seems a little bit like overkill.

(And yes, I did only apply to one program at this school).

Edited, two minutes later: Oh, look. There's another copy of the email. Again. Dear Admissions Committee: SERIOUSLY I GET IT I PROMISE. STOP WITH THE EMAILS.

Wow. So, I was just rejected from a school that I was rejected from already. The first rejection came via email over a month ago. I just got the exact same email again. The only thing that changed was the date, typed out at the top of the email.

Edited, two minutes later: Oh, look. There's another copy of the email. Again. Dear Admissions Committee: SERIOUSLY I GET IT I PROMISE. STOP WITH THE EMAILS.

Ew. Admissions Committees suck.

Ughh, way to keep opening fresh wounds. Did it at least have the same topic so you didn't get your hopes up?

Yeah, but since the subject line was "Application to the U of ___", it managed to get my hopes up anyway. :( Ah well. It's at least a little bit funny. Guess they REALLY don't want me in the program. :)

My first rejection letter came from a school I just interviewed with last week ... and I thought I had done SO well too. If you get a rejection letter, does that mean you have no chances of even getting a spot because though someone else didn't accept?

My first rejection letter came from a school I just interviewed with last week ... and I thought I had done SO well too. If you get a rejection letter, does that mean you have no chances of even getting a spot because though someone else didn't accept?

I think it probably depends on what the letter says. If it's something along the lines of "blah blah enjoyed meeting you but will be unable to offer you a spot with us this year," I would guess that means you are officially out of the running. If it's more along the lines of "blah blah many qualified applicants and it's unlikely you will be offered a spot with us," I would say that means you still have a chance if others don't accept.

That's rough, though, to get rejected from a school where you had an interview and did well. Hang in there - it's all uphill from here! (That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.)

Rejection letters are normally firm... In other words it would be extraordinarily rare for a school to rescind such a notice.

Mark

I would say it means you're completely out of the running. They probably have other people wait listed.

Got an e-mail rejection yesterday from Suffolk U. It was definitely the poorest match out of all the schools I applied to, so I sort of saw it coming (and I don't want to live in Boston, anyway...Mmm, cognitive dissonance).

Yeah, I got my rejection from Suffolk recently, too. Weird, seeing as they were my safety school...but not too much of a loss since I've already been accepted elsewhere.

E-mail phrased as such:

Dear Applicant,
The Graduate Admission Committee has carefully reviewed your application for admission to the Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology degree program. I regret to inform you that we are unable to accept you for enrollment at this time.
The criteria for acceptance into the program are quite competitive, and the admission decision is difficult. The Psychology Department receives 300+ applications each year. Unfortunately, the overwhelming volume of applications keeps us from providing individualized feedback to applicants regarding their application. Please see our Full Disclosure Data webpage (http://www.suffolk.edu/college/23107.html) for information regarding admissions data and figures.
Thank you for your interest in Suffolk University. We hope that you will continue to pursue your academic and career goals and wish you success in the future.
Sincerely,
Elisabeth Hollister Sandberg, Ph.D.
Chair, Psychology Department Admissions Committee

Hmm...oh, well.

Yeah, I got my rejection from Suffolk recently, too. Weird, seeing as they were my safety school...but not too much of a loss since I've already been accepted elsewhere.

E-mail phrased as such:

Getting dinged doesn't hurt so bad once you've been accepted somewhere, does it.

I want to clarify something for you all among the Dinged!

While most rejections are final, here is a letter I recieved March 6th from the school I was offered admission at on April 10th:

Your application for the Navy position in the Clinical Psychology Program at
the Uniformed University of the Health Sciences was carefully reviewed, but
regrettably, you were not selected. I want to express my sincere
appreciation for your interest in the Navy and the effort you put into
preparing the application. The applicant pool was unusually competitive
this year. Given the small number of students we are able to select, we were
not able to accommodate many well-qualified applicants.

You were among our finalists in a very competitive selection process and,
for that reason, I would like to encourage you to apply for a commission in
the Navy at a later date. The Navy selects interns each year for our two
internship programs and offers active duty positions to licensed Clinical
and Counseling Psychologists. After you have completed your pre-doctoral
studies, please consider the Navy among your career options. I wish you
every success in the near-term and hope to hear from you again in the
future.

So yes, you can be rejected and then un-rejected. It's rare. However this whole process is Goofy!

I was shocked to get the call to get my paperwork in order at the last moment.

Mark

The SAME thing happened to me...was it Waterloo by any chance? I had to laugh at the third email...like come on?!?

Way to pour more salt on that wound:(

UConn. I arrived home today after being away at an interview all weekend to find that waiting for me in my mailbox. ugh. i must admit i did see it coming though.

UConn. I arrived home today after being away at an interview all weekend to find that waiting for me in my mailbox. ugh. i must admit i did see it coming though.

I'm expecting to receive that one soon too...I from Canada so I bet I'll get it within the next few days...oh joy!

came home to my first official rejection from george washington university, phd program. i'm okay with it though since it wasn't really a great match for me.

Do some programs not bother even sending a rejection letter?

I have heard neither hide nor hair from Adelphi or Stony Brook.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Well, I think I got 1 rejection letters in June the year I applied, and at least 2 more after April 15. So, while they eventually sent them out, it wasn't like I didn't know I wasn't in at that point. So, it's super annoying, but yeah, they may never send them out, or they may send out the rejections way after they made their decision.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, some never send them out. Most schools haven't sent them yet though. I've applied to 10 schools and only got 1 (last week). They usually wait until they fill their spots. Stony Brook will probably wait until April.

Yeah, some never send them out. Most schools haven't sent them yet though. I've applied to 10 schools and only got 1 (last week). They usually wait until they fill their spots. Stony Brook will probably wait until April.

Yea... I haven't heard anything from any of the schools I applied to!! Should I just assume the worst? At this point I just want some sign of ANYTHING! Most of my schools have already extended invites, and as I didn't get any.... I'm thinking I'm already out of the running for this school year :(

Just got an e-mail from my POI at UT Austin that was very nice informing me that all interviews had been extended at this time. I had already assumed this since I talked to other people who had interviewed there already, so for me this was a nice ding because the POI actually took the time to tell me rather than keeping me in the dark.

Just got an e-mail from my POI at UT Austin that was very nice informing me that all interviews had been extended at this time. I had already assumed this since I talked to other people who had interviewed there already, so for me this was a nice ding because the POI actually took the time to tell me rather than keeping me in the dark.

Wow, that's more than i got... i'm still just waiting in the dark. Did you email the prof and ask or was this email just out of no where? THanks!! :)

Yea... I haven't heard anything from any of the schools I applied to!! Should I just assume the worst? At this point I just want some sign of ANYTHING! Most of my schools have already extended invites, and as I didn't get any.... I'm thinking I'm already out of the running for this school year :(

I'm a pretty pressimistic person so I assume I'm rejected or soon to be rejected from everyone I haven't heard from. I only have 1 interview... it sucks.

Well, I think I got 1 rejection letters in June the year I applied, and at least 2 more after April 15. So, while they eventually sent them out, it wasn't like I didn't know I wasn't in at that point. So, it's super annoying, but yeah, they may never send them out, or they may send out the rejections way after they made their decision.

Adelphi is just starting the interview process for clinical psych- interviews are through the first week in March.

U of Florida Clinical and Health Psychology doesnt want me (rejection via snail mail).

I haven't heard a thing from them either...you had a nice POI!

I'm a pretty pressimistic person so I assume I'm rejected or soon to be rejected from everyone I haven't heard from. I only have 1 interview... it sucks.

You have one more than the people who have 0 interviews, remind yourself that you can only go to one program, and if you get in where you interviewed... then you applied to exactly the right number of programs.

Mark

You have one more than the people who have 0 interviews, remind yourself that you can only go to one program, and if you get in where you interviewed... then you applied to exactly the right number of programs.

Mark

Someone should start a Zero Invite Club. I think those folks probably need the extra support.

Just got dinged from Yale. I can now cross out an entire state from where I may be living next year.

Such is life.

Just got dinged from Yale. I can now cross out an entire state from where I may be living next year.

Such is life.

I second that ding having also been rejected from Yale-but at least, their letter was polite and non-condescending.

I am still in the zero acceptance club, with 3 rejections, 1 alternate list and silence from the remaining 12 schools...I am hanging on to the hope that someone will turn down an offer I will get bumped off the alternate list...

Chin up and good luck to all....

I'll third the Yale ding. Sigh.

I got dinged from LIU C.W post today.
On the letter, they wrote the wrong state and left out a number from my zip code. 4 number zip code? I'm surprised it actually ended up at my house. I hope my rejection wasn't based on the fact that they thought that I thought I had a 4 letter zip code. :D I'm pretty sure I wrote out the entire thing clearly though.

Someone should start a Zero Invite Club. I think those folks probably need the extra support.

THATS ME!!! WO HO, THANK YOU FOR SCREWING ME OVER LOW GRE SCORE!!! I'm going to celebrate my none victory this weekend.

THATS ME!!! WO HO, THANK YOU FOR SCREWING ME OVER LOW GRE SCORE!!! I'm going to celebrate my none victory this weekend.

LET ME PREFACE THIS WITH, I feel for you, I know you probably feel betrayed by this system. I am sorry to hear you didn't get an invite.

You can't blame it all on your GRE score chief. There are ways to get past a low GRE score. A great GPA, great research experience, and a lot of presentations and networking can get you past a poor GRE performance. (It's not an easy road!) I know some people who have low GRE scores who are in good programs. They may have a Masters degree, a lot of life experience, and a host of other factors that made their admission possible (non-affirmative action factors I might add)... but they are in Ph.D. programs.

You won't be successful as long as you believe the locus of control is external. As you put it, your low GRE score screwed you over... It wasn't that you didn't come up with a way to compensate, it was the GRE. You can have a great GRE and still not get in anywhere, I've been there and done that. However there are programs that don't ask for a GRE.

Some programs ask for an FRK index though. Here are some examples. FRK = GPA + GRE/400, so they tell you how they compute your chances.

Take ASU Counseling Psychology Ph.D.

Required 5.5 or better FRK. You can have a 4.0 GPA and get a 600 on the damn GRE and make the cut!!! A 3.0 and 1000 GRE is a 5.5, or a 3.25 GPA and a 900 GRE.

Another program with a LOW GRE cutoff:

Our Lady of the Lake, Counseling Psy.D., Average GRE 1000

Finally for Clinical Ph.D.

Oklahoma State University has average GRE of 1100-1150

You don't need a sky high GRE, but if you applied to Yale with a 850 GRE, well it's just not gonna happen.

Mark

Come on Mark, I don't think people need to hear about that in this thread.

There are dozens of threads in this forum touting the formula of research experience, networking, and match.

Let's just let people vent here, instead of telling them what they could have done better, no?

Being rejected sucks badly enough. No need to rub it in, even if it *is* under the guise of being helpful.