Village of the Dinged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Come on Mark, I don't think people need to hear about that in this thread.

There are dozens of threads in this forum touting the formula of research experience, networking, and match.

Let's just let people vent here, instead of telling them what they could have done better, no?

Being rejected sucks badly enough. No need to rub it in, even if it *is* under the guise of being helpful.

You tell him ChinaKat! After all, we have enough "arm chair quarterbacks" around here! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

There are dozens of threads in this forum touting the formula of research experience, networking, and match.

Let's just let people vent here, instead of telling them what they could have done better, no?

Being rejected sucks badly enough. No need to rub it in, even if it *is* under the guise of being helpful.

actually, i didn't think he was trying to rub in anything. i thought his comments were helpful in that he was offering options for the person who had the low gre score. because let's face it, there's a good chance a lot of us who have been dinged from several schools are going to have to do this whole process over next year--and knowing information that will make our apps better and places that may be better fits can only be beneficial to us.

Venting is one thing, crying about the GRE in multiple threads is annoying.

Don't forget, I was rejected plenty, I know exactly how it feels not to get into ANY programs.

I'll just drop it here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Venting is one thing, crying about the GRE in multiple threads is annoying.

Don't forget, I was rejected plenty, I know exactly how it feels not to get into ANY programs.

I'll just drop it here.

Markp,

My post was a joke. ChinaKat once did the same to me and benched me as an "armchair quarterback"! How humiliating! I was once a first round draft pick with a promising future. Since the benching, I have been lucky if I can make any posts on the SDN Psychology/Sesame Street for Kids Forum! :laugh:

Markp,

My post was a joke. ChinaKat once did the same to me and benched me as an "armchair quarterback"! How humiliating! I was once a first round draft pick with a promising future. Since the benching, I have been lucky if I can make any posts on the SDN Psychology/Sesame Street for Kids Forum! :laugh:

LOL, I don't take it personally. :D Where is the Sesame Street Forum again? I might fit in there better.

Mark

Got my third reject today (all clinical phd) :(

loyola univ (chicago) a few weeks ago via snail mail

univ of michigan yesterday via snail mail

duke univ today via email

ouch.

Oklahoma State has low GRE requirements? Sign me up!

Edit: Darn, no one there with my research interest :/

Aww man. If only they had someone there I'd be interested in working with.

I re-read my Yale SOP. I suspect this will be a not-uncommon theme for me. The most likely reason I got dinged? Bad fit. The two people I listed as POIs I had to sell my research interest... it seemed like a reach. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to work with them, but it was like trying to fit an octagonal peg into a hexagonal hole. Not so bad as a square peg and a round hole, but still not a perfect fit.

After re-reading all my SOPs, my one current interview makes sense, my two current rejections make a lot of sense, and at lease two more are extremely likely. I do have one more that I feel I have a solid match with, and as far as I know, they haven't extended (all?) invites yet.

It ain't over 'til Yogi Berra's cliche! :D

For everyone who is getting official rejections...have those schools already completed interviews? I never heard from 8 of the schools I applied to even though I know they already extended interviews (and in a few cases already completed all interviews). Why can't they just be up front about it and send me my rejection? I know it sounds stupid, but I don't want to have false hope! :(

For everyone who is getting official rejections...have those schools already completed interviews? I never heard from 8 of the schools I applied to even though I know they already extended interviews (and in a few cases already completed all interviews). Why can't they just be up front about it and send me my rejection? I know it sounds stupid, but I don't want to have false hope! :(

The ones I got rejected from already had their interviews and/or interview invites. Some of them had interviews a long time ago, but I just heard about my rejection recently, which makes me suspect I was waitlisted to some extent. So you may be in that boat too--in which case, no news is still good news!!

I got my official rejection letter from Loyola Chicago yesterday.

Members don't see this ad :)
**All clinical PhD programs**

Officially rejected from:
Univ. of Louisville
Univ. of Nebraska Lincoln
West Virginia Univ.

Unofficially rejected (based on info here) from:
Univ. of Missouri - Columbia
Univ. of Toledo
Univ. of Utah
Virginia Commonwealth Univ.
Western Michigan Univ.

Haven't heard from:
Purdue University
Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison
Virginia Tech
Washington State Univ.
Univ. of North Dakota

Oops...sorry! I swore to myself I'd remember that detail! [sigh]

They're all clinical PhD programs.

Me too. But SUNY-Buffalo was official ding #2. I was disappointed, even thought I know it's a competitive program. I fell reasonably within their admissions criteria, and I thought I had a strong background that would have appealed to my POI. Oh well. *Sigh.*

Me too. But SUNY-Buffalo was official ding #2. I was disappointed, even thought I know it's a competitive program. I fell reasonably within their admissions criteria, and I thought I had a strong background that would have appealed to my POI. Oh well. *Sigh.*

To those rejected by SUNY-Buffalo, how were you notified?

A silly little letter from the graduate studies. It didn't even say the word "rejected." It said something like, "we apologize the committee did not look favorably upon your application for admission. It didn't hurt that bad; I've received rejection letters that were way harsher than that.

I feel ya Ducky (fingers crossed for you and all my fellow comrades...lol).

I received my official 'non-acceptance' - (patent pending) - via postal mail today, dated February 14/18.

A silly little letter from the graduate studies. It didn't even say the word "rejected." It said something like, "we apologize the committee did not look favorably upon your application for admission. It didn't hurt that bad; I've received rejection letters that were way harsher than that.

Ah, gotcha. Mine's probably still in the mail. :) I'll be able to commiserate tomorrow if the postal service picks up the pace.

Ah, gotcha. Mine's probably still in the mail. :) I'll be able to commiserate tomorrow if the postal service picks up the pace.

I hope you hear otherwise. Best of luck TheWesternSky!

First ding from University of Rochester today via email. At least they're nice and tactful about it.

Last edited:
Fordham, via email.:(

NYU - they only have one interview, and I was not at it.

9 more applied to, 8 interviews (4 more to go) -- it's almost over, regardless!

Was also on that mass e-mail rejection... I liked that they wrote "[FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Unfortuantely, as many of you have no doubt guessed by the lack of contact to date, this email comes with a disappointing message about your application to our graduate program"...

Was also on that mass e-mail rejection... I liked that they wrote "[FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Unfortuantely, as many of you have no doubt guessed by the lack of contact to date, this email comes with a disappointing message about your application to our graduate program"....

Yes, that was also my favorite part...the casual, informal, friendly tone was appreciated...but was suprised by the lack of proof reading (ie extent/extend)....

I know not many here are applicants to school psych but I have been dinged and feel the pain. U of South Florida and Kent State (and I interviewed at both!). But I knew Kent wasn't going to work when they asked me who my hero was. Sorry but I am not 5 years old, I do not have a hero...:(

Received letter of rejection from University of Kentucky clinical psychology Ph.D program 2/27.

Received a rejection from the University of Kansas today by mail. Nice to know they kept me around for so long, though. At least they get back to their applicants quickly.

I am really beginning to appreciate the programs that let me know soon that I wasn't for them because there are four I still haven't heard from. It sure would have been nice if they had let me know already so I don't have to sit here wondering if there might be a slight chance that everyone they've interviewed will either hate them or die ... and then they'll call me ...

Rejected from U Kansas and U Nebraska-Lincoln, clinical PhDs, today via letters.

George Mason University....received yesterday. I wish I could type it to everyone but because I used the letter to dry my tears, I definitely cannot identify separate words. lol..just kidding. I am hanging it up on my fridge.

So I haven't heard anything from other schools even though I know they have extended invitations. Should I pursue my plans B-Z? Any tips for making myself a stronger applicant?

I haven't heard anything from any of my schools, but found out that the school I interviewed at offered its acceptances already this week. I feel really sad. Because I'm a non-trad applicant, I spent the past year preparing intensely for clinical psych, and it makes me feel sad to think that all that hard work was for nothing, and that I won't be starting clinical psych in the fall. It makes me feel like a big failure.

I haven't heard anything from any of my schools, but found out that the school I interviewed at offered its acceptances already this week. I feel really sad. Because I'm a non-trad applicant, I spent the past year preparing intensely for clinical psych, and it makes me feel sad to think that all that hard work was for nothing, and that I won't be starting clinical psych in the fall. It makes me feel like a big failure.

This process has a way of doing that. I remember how bad I felt (and I got pretty damn depressed about it.) You have to remember this is such an impersonal process and unfortunately the competition for slots is just downright ridiculous. I hate to say it but it's just as much luck as it is anything else. Your preparation wasn't in vain, it will serve you well next year.

Mark

My 3rd official ding this morning from UVA (Dept of psychology) clinical psych PhD program.

When will this end?? :eek:

Well I got my third official ding today.

Rejected from Wiscosin-Milwaukee, U of Illinois Urbana-Champagne, and Eastern Michigan (all of which I interviewed at)

Still waiting to hear from: U of Louisville, Case Western, Xavier, and Indiana State (all of which I interviewed at)

Waitlisted at Ball State University (counseling program)

Im starting to think I should begin to formulate my back up plan...:(

Well I got my third official ding today.

Rejected from Wiscosin-Milwaukee, U of Illinois Urbana-Champagne, and Eastern Michigan (all of which I interviewed at)

Still waiting to hear from: U of Louisville, Case Western, Xavier, and Indiana State (all of which I interviewed at)

Waitlisted at Ball State University (counseling program)

Im starting to think I should begin to formulate my back up plan...:(

There was just an acceptance that I listed on the aceptance thread that someone got an offer to U of Louisvillie-Clinical Ph.D. on 2/29 but missed the phone call nut got an email offer from the DCT on 3/2

There was just an acceptance that I listed on the aceptance thread that someone got an offer to U of Louisvillie-Clinical Ph.D. on 2/29 but missed the phone call nut got an email offer from the DCT on 3/2

Oh yes..I am aware, which is ofcourse why I am getting nervous. It cant be a good sign that she recieved an email today and I have yet to hear anything....ahhh this process is so humbling!!

Ding #5- by letter today 3/3
(Previous dings include Yale, UCLA, FDU and Fordham)
Accepted at Yeshiva for Clinical Health PhD
Withdrew after interviewing (after my acceptance) from Pace and CW Post PsyD
Interviews coming up at LIU (3/5) and St Johns (3/12)
Assuming rejections from schools I have not yet heard from, with the exception of the New School that doesn't interview. (Hofstra, Rutgers, TC, StonyBrook)

I also received an official rejection from the CUNY clinical PhD program.

Ding #2, by letter, 3/3

(Ding#1 from FDU, last week)

Are any of the above CUNY 'non-acceptances' for the John Jay Clinical-Forenisic PhD program?

Ding #5- by letter today 3/3

I also received an official rejection from the CUNY clinical PhD program.

Ding #2, by letter, 3/3

Ding as well. humph.

CUNY - that is just great. :mad: I bet all of you live somewhere in the NYC and have paid taxes that go to support CUNY and then they turn around and reject you. Of course, the same can be said of many state schools located in places where people are tax paying residences. Even worse is when these public schools accept people from out of state, or out of the city, over people who who have residency in the school's state/ city. I wonder if there is some type of legal recourse for this. State or public schools have to offer different rates of tuition for in state/ locale vs out of sate/ locale. If there were some type of legal precedent that gave an in state or in city resident preference for admissions to a public school within his/ her locale over a non-resident, this would completely shake up the academic world. The deck would be completely reshuffled. Public schools, or private schools which took state/ city money, could no longer easily draw the students from around the country or students would move to establish residency in a locale in which they wanted to attend a school. I would wager that there is a legal case to made but no one has ever bothered to challenge the academic establishment. Anyone here with a law background or with wealthy parents who wants to attempt to rock the boat?

Official rejection from UConn a few weeks ago (snail mail).

I didn't hear from 8 schools so I began E-mailing a few of them to ask if I was still being considered. So I got unofficial word on my rejection from Stony Brook (though he did say I was an excellent finalist...cheered me up a bit), Rutgers, and Georgia State. I stopped E-mailing. Haha. I'll just assume rejection from the remaining 5.

My one interview is this week though!!! Wish me luck. I will cry and be devestated for months if I don't get in. Yes, I am THAT pathetic. :oops:

1) I actually think it would be detrimental to the system if state schools showed preference to people from their own state (in terms of diversity, strength of applicants, etc.), but that's just me--I'm also not applying to any schools in my home state...

2) Was also dinged from CUNY clinical today, as well as Fairleigh Dickinson University. The latter referred me to their master's program.

Official rejection from UConn a few weeks ago (snail mail).

I didn't hear from 8 schools so I began E-mailing a few of them to ask if I was still being considered. So I got unofficial word on my rejection from Stony Brook (though he did say I was an excellent finalist...cheered me up a bit), Rutgers, and Georgia State. I stopped E-mailing. Haha. I'll just assume rejection from the remaining 5.

My one interview is this week though!!! Wish me luck. I will cry and be devestated for months if I don't get in. Yes, I am THAT pathetic. :oops:

Goodluck!!!!!!!! All the best on your interview!

Good luck, and more importantly, good skill! Don't let the other rejections shake you -- walk in and nail that interview!