VMCAS 2008 questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david594

The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am sure over the next couple months we will all have a bunch of questions, so here is a thread for it.

So for selecting the GRE's, is the current GRE offered the "General Test(V,Q,A)" or the "New General Test(V,Q,W)"? Any ideas before I go shooting them an email?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am sure over the next couple months we will all have a bunch of questions, so here is a thread for it.

So for selecting the GRE's, is the current GRE offered the "General Test(V,Q,A)" or the "New General Test(V,Q,W)"? Any ideas before I go shooting them an email?

I assume it's the new general test, as the writing section is the new bit. I think the "A" of the "General Test" was an actual multiple choice section, which was replaced by the writing section. Doesn't hurt to email and ask, though.

Yes - you are correct - the NEW general test is likely the one that most of us have taken. If you wrote a bunch of essays in the first part of your GRE, then you did the new general test. (At least they didn't change the GRE *again* as was planned for last year - that would be one more thing to be confused about!)

David594 - thanks for starting this thread - - I'm sure it will become quite useful over the next few months!

Members don't see this ad :)
Along the same lines...

I know most schools only care about AP scores that are reflected on your undergraduate transcript. With that said, will you guys list all your AP scores? Only the ones on your transcript? Will you have these scores sent?

I can't imagine that it's at all important. I don't want to necessarily go through the hassle of having AP scores sent if it's not important, but I also don't want to miss out on documenting something if it can help me.

Thoughts? Past experiences?

Darn, one more thing to worry about!

I don't know about AP scores. I only have them for Spanish, which passed me out of the foreign language requirement for my school (although being a linguistics major, it became a moot point). . .

I honestly hadn't thought about them at all since freshman year.

I'm curious as to the answer as well!

The only thing I know about AP scores are that:

1) Iowa State requires you send them for any class you're expecting them to count as a pre-req (or something like that), and
2) None of the other schools I applied to (UC Davis, CSU, VMRCVM, K-State, and UW-Madison) wanted anything from ETS on AP scores. They only cared that any class to be counted as a pre-req that I had placed out of appeared on my college transcript.

I think most schools follow that second point, but it wouldn't hurt to call each you apply to and ask about it. If they dont' specify, though, I can't imagine they require it. (Iowa State specifies that they need your AP scores.)

Wait - some schools count testing out of a level of course as fulfilling that prereq?

Seriously?

Wait - some schools count testing out of a level of course as fulfilling that prereq?

Seriously?

Generally they count AP or IB scores as testing out of some prerequisites if your undergrad institution counted it as testing out of them. Some of the schools extend that only to the non-science prerequisites, not sure about all because I only applied to one, so I only researched it fully for that one. :p

(I never took a University level composition class because of my AP English score and this was fine with them)

Okay, here's a question that occured to me as I started to fill out the VMCAS, feeling the first waves of panic, though surely not the last. When listing animal and veterinary experiences, how far back do you go? Do they only want what you've done during college? Or can I list things from high school, even though I graduated from high school back in 2002?

Karmapple - thanks for asking that - it's something I would also like to find out (as I also graduated high school in 2002 and am having a difficult time even remembering things that happened that long ago! Anyone have any tips on how far back to go and what to include?

Okay, here's a question that occured to me as I started to fill out the VMCAS, feeling the first waves of panic, though surely not the last. When listing animal and veterinary experiences, how far back do you go? Do they only want what you've done during college? Or can I list things from high school, even though I graduated from high school back in 2002?

Definitely include high school stuff, too. I graduated in 1999, but still included all my stuff (that I could remember). Though I think it's a good idea to list the more recent (and therefore probably more relevant) stuff first.

Generally they count AP or IB scores as testing out of some prerequisites if your undergrad institution counted it as testing out of them. Some of the schools extend that only to the non-science prerequisites, not sure about all because I only applied to one, so I only researched it fully for that one. :p

(I never took a University level composition class because of my AP English score and this was fine with them)

Yeah I had 5's on both the English AP's in High School (graduated in '99) and I am currently taking a 3 unit Lit & Comp class but I am praying the combination of those two plus a graded Honors thesis in Sociology will satisfy everyone that I can, in fact, write coherently. I know the timeline is a little tight for my AP scores (right up against 10 yrs!). But seriously, I am *not* going to take ANOTHER freshman comp class after I finish this one! (omg I really hope I finish it on time... these online self paced things are apparently not my forte)

I graduated hs in 1995 and for the most part, it was really tough trying to remember what I'd done back then! Fortunately I still had the hard drive from my old computer, so I stuck it in my current computer and searched through old resumes/cover letters to refresh my memory. Yeay for technology! :D

Seriously though, unless you've done *nothing* since hs (which I doubt or you wouldn't be applying!) it's probably not that critical, so if you forget a few things it's no big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I had 5's on both the English AP's in High School (graduated in '99) and I am currently taking a 3 unit Lit & Comp class but I am praying the combination of those two plus a graded Honors thesis in Sociology will satisfy everyone that I can, in fact, write coherently. I know the timeline is a little tight for my AP scores (right up against 10 yrs!). But seriously, I am *not* going to take ANOTHER freshman comp class after I finish this one! (omg I really hope I finish it on time... these online self paced things are apparently not my forte)

I hadn't heard that there was an expiration on AP scores. Am I missing something?

Trying to save my P.S.

The application character count says that it is exactly 5000 characters, and it won't let me save it citing that "personal statement must be less than 5000 characters". I tried to save it at 4999 characters- same thing, won't let me save because "personal statement must be less than 5000 characters"

Any suggestions?

Trying to save my P.S.

The application character count says that it is exactly 5000 characters, and it won't let me save it citing that "personal statement must be less than 5000 characters". I tried to save it at 4999 characters- same thing, won't let me save because "personal statement must be less than 5000 characters"

Any suggestions?

Make sure there arent any extra "return" spaces following your text that may be interfering with the count. Otherwise go back and see if there are two sentences you can combine to reduce a character or two.

Barnaby, I'm a little technologically challenged, but maybe it's just VMCAS being crazy? If you think that might be the problem, try calling their hotline. They're really helpful!

Word and VMCAS don't always agree about # of characters.

I would list all vet experience that you could remember... the more, the better. I agree that the most recent stuff should be listed first.

Just a tip- DO NOT enter your evaluator names prematurely.

As soon as you save the evaluator contact information, emails go out to them.

I assumed that would happen after you submitted, or that you'd be asked if you wanted them to be contact yet. Anyway, I was toying around the other nite and I had just been saving phone number like 555-555-5555 because I didn't have all the contact information with me at the time. When I looked at the application this morning, I could not be certain that I'd entered my evaluators' information correctly, but to my surprise you can't edit their information once it's been saved!

So I called the hotline thinking they could tap into my app. and see if i'd written down real phone numbers- they told me to delete the entries and put in new ones. So I did. But apparently my evaluators got emails saying so...

Not a big deal, but somewhat embarrassing. So take my advice, don't put in your evaluators until you've got all their info!

In the section where you enter your degrees and majors:

I have a major in Equine Science and a minor in Pre-Vet. There are no spaces for minors. Do I place that in the 'second major of first degree' spot? That indicates a dual major, however, which I do not have. Or are minors just not accounted for?

Also, would it be better to choose Animal Science as my first major? Or should I choose Other and write in Equine Science?

In the section where you enter your degrees and majors:

I have a major in Equine Science and a minor in Pre-Vet. There are no spaces for minors. Do I place that in the 'second major of first degree' spot? That indicates a dual major, however, which I do not have. Or are minors just not accounted for?

Also, would it be better to choose Animal Science as my first major? Or should I choose Other and write in Equine Science?

Im having similar issues. Veterinary technology isnt even a choice, only animal science or animal health. I tried to put other and then write it in but if you choose an actual degree title (ie A.A.S in Science) then it wont let you write anything in the other section.
Im not trying to "POO POO" the new format, since I realize they are trying to make it better, but the old way worked better for me.

Thanks for the heads up about the references section, I was planning on working on that section next.

Worst case scenario, you guys could always use the explanation area to explain what your degrees actually are.

Welp, I called and spoke with VMCAS and if you are experiencing this issue they recommend you

a) contact the school and determine how they would prefer it notated on the application (ie your major = a related major or to use other)

b) as Vagirl suggested use the explanation statement to explain your degree. (I personally cant do this because I am already using the explanation section to explain something else)

Dont bother calling to suggest they change something/ reformat something to make it better. Once the application goes online they cannot make any changes.

b) as Vagirl suggested use the explanation statement to explain your degree. (I personally cant do this because I am already using the explanation section to explain something else)

If you're within the character limit, you can use the explanation area to explain more than one thing. You'd just want to make sure they're visually distinguishable (bulleted list, title your explanation essay, etc.)

Last year, and the years before it, WSU has given students the option of filling out their own WSU online form or using VMCAS.

I would suggest using their online form, even if you're using VMCAS anyways. (If you don't mind typing everything in twice)

Why? (things may be different this year, but....)

They had NO WORD LIMIT! I was able to do a fuller personal statement and do much nicer job describing my vet experience, awards, honors, etc.

When VMCAS was buggy and crashing, the WSU site was fine and I could continue to work on my app.

I was able to look at my application on line after I had submitted it (not possible with VMCAS last year).

fairly specific question:

Florida allows you to take the pre-req animal science and nutrition classes in the summer prior to enrollment AT UF if you haven't taken them.

Do you think I need to put under coursework that I plan to take those courses there? Seems too presumptuous. At the same time, I want to acknowledge that I haven't fulfilled those courses. What should I do? Probably just call the school eh...

(UF is the only school I'm applying to that requires AS/AN)

No, they know that, if you get in, you'll be taking them in order to attend. I'm pretty sure lots of people fill these reqs last minute. If they were concerned about that, they would make them a requirement by the fall sememster like other schools do.

No, they know that, if you get in, you'll be taking them in order to attend. I'm pretty sure lots of people fill these reqs last minute. If they were concerned about that, they would make them a requirement by the fall sememster like other schools do.

This is true. Most schools will remind you during the interview, etc. that you still need a course your missing and tell you the date (usually mid-August in my experience) it must be completed by. It shouldn't hold up your application.

And yes, lots of people do this last minute. I'm taking my last req. missing for MSU Animal Nutrition online from Purdue this summer.

I am also taking my last pre-req this summer for Western. It is the world culture one.

Hello,

So what is the difference between "Previous Professional and undergraduate enrollments" and "institutions attended"? It seems redundant to write it twice. Am I suppose to put the school that I took ONE summer school course in that section as well? If so what about the bars that ask for "degree" and other information. It just seems lame to have to put it in twice and then put "no degree" on those schools just because you took a summer school course. Please help. It is right that I am ALSO suppose to put in the name of the school I PLAN to take courses in the fall? Thank you. It seems like a dumb question.

I got the impression that the 'previous professional and undergraduate enrollments' was kind of getting at whether you'd been accepted to other schools before and declined or not...otherwise, what's with the options for 'accepted, withdrew, attended, registered', etc.?

I got the impression that the 'previous professional and undergraduate enrollments' was kind of getting at whether you'd been accepted to other schools before and declined or not...otherwise, what's with the options for 'accepted, withdrew, attended, registered', etc.?

I agree. I thought it was wierd that they would want to know what undergrad schools we were accepted to and declined to attend, but this is my first time filling out VMCAS applications, so what do I know?

FYI in case anyone missed it, they have an instructions button on top of each page that explains that page a little bit. Still somewhat confusing, but it helps a bit.

Going back to the topic of AP Credits...

Where on the application are you guys putting them in? I was thinking that the best place to put them would be under my first semester of school and to just list all the ones I am using for any type of credit. Is anyone creating an entire section just for AP's?

Are Undergraduate/Graduate combined courses 'Graduate' or 'Upper' for the app?

Going back to the topic of AP Credits...

Where on the application are you guys putting them in? I was thinking that the best place to put them would be under my first semester of school and to just list all the ones I am using for any type of credit. Is anyone creating an entire section just for AP's?

You are supposed to put them under whichever school transferred them (probably the first school you attended post high school) as they should appear on these transcripts as well. (this is what I did the past 2 years and they said it was right).

Thanks Wolf Vet...that's what I figured.

Bcrunner,

Echoing what WolfVet said, I called the hotline about the same question, and I was told to list them as part of my first semester at my undergrad. The university had listed the APs on my transcript, but not in any particular semester so it was a little confusing.

Two questions:

1) Under the different types of experience there is a place for you to list the phone number for each place. I'm pretty sure it's not required, but does it look bad if you don't provide a number? The reason I ask is that a few of the places I was at previously either don't have me down in their system (but I did volunteer there!) or they don't remember me, or they are hard to get ahold of due to being in a foreign country, or any combo of the above, etc, etc.

2) How is everyone wording the descriptions for each section wether it's about vet or animal expereince, honors and awards, or community activities?

Two questions:

1) Under the different types of experience there is a place for you to list the phone number for each place. I'm pretty sure it's not required, but does it look bad if you don't provide a number? The reason I ask is that a few of the places I was at previously either don't have me down in their system (but I did volunteer there!) or they don't remember me, or they are hard to get ahold of due to being in a foreign country, or any combo of the above, etc, etc.

2) How is everyone wording the descriptions for each section wether it's about vet or animal expereince, honors and awards, or community activities?

Q 1) This is new this year (previously you put the name, city, etc. but nothing as specific as a phone number), so you may need to ask VMCAS this one. Personally, I think your major ones should def. have numbers, but small volunteers here and there, probably ok without.

Q 2) Not sure if it will help, but I can tell you exacxtly how I worded things on last years app (the word limit may be different this year, I havn't checked).

Example 1, Vet exp:
Hospital X
Description of duties: I perform procedures such as taking radiographs, sample collections and laboratory tests, placing urinary and IV catheters, administering medications, euthanizing animals and so forth. I also assist with surgeries and prophylaxis including surgical preparation, monitoring and recovery. I am a volunteer supervisor for high school and college volunteers. I assist with all exotic animals, including restraint, blood draws, euthanasia, et cetera. I also perform reception duties.

Example 2, Awards: (note, its ok to be brief here!)
Award X
Description: A $X.00 scholarship awarded by "School name".

Example 3, Extracurricular activities:
Washington Elementary Job Fair
Description: I volunteered as a speaker at Washington Elementary's fourth annual Career Fair held for 4th through 6th graders. I spoke about the field of veterinary medicine. The fair consisted of three sessions of 30 minutes each as students rotated through. The school is located in a low income area and so, aside from speaking about our proffesion, each speaker also emphasized financial aid and encouraged students to pursue careers despite financial hindrances.

Again, not sure if this is at all helpful, but sometimes examples are nice, right?

I'll give VMCAS a call about the phone number question. But yes. examples are always helpful!!

Thanks wolfvet! :D

Hello! So i know that ALL the schools say that they want 3 letters of Rec but what do you think happens when you have more. My issue is that I have three letters of rec but Ohio State is asking for two vets and so to make it easier I wanted the other vet to fill out the VMCAS eLOR and that way have a total of 4 LOR. What do the schools do when this happens? Thanks for your help. You guys are lifesavers!!!!!!

Hello! So i know that ALL the schools say that they want 3 letters of Rec but what do you think happens when you have more. My issue is that I have three letters of rec but Ohio State is asking for two vets and so to make it easier I wanted the other vet to fill out the VMCAS eLOR and that way have a total of 4 LOR. What do the schools do when this happens? Thanks for your help. You guys are lifesavers!!!!!!

2 quick points: VMCAS does not physically allow you to summit more than 3 letters (what happens is you give them exactly 3 people and they e-mail them the links directly). Now, if a school asks for non-VMCAS letters of rec, then you can summit however many that specific school wants(though most schools prefer VMCAS).

Also, most schools (and VMCAS) recommends 2 letters come from vets and the third does not, such as advisor, teacher, etc. (it's 'frowned' upon to have 3 vet letters).

I've not applied to Ohio, so I'm not sure if they have their own app or go thru VMCAS. This would help to know for your specific situation.:)

2 quick points: VMCAS does not physically allow you to summit more than 3 letters (what happens is you give them exactly 3 people and they e-mail them the links directly). Now, if a school asks for non-VMCAS letters of rec, then you can summit however many that specific school wants(though most schools prefer VMCAS).

Also, most schools (and VMCAS) recommends 2 letters come from vets and the third does not, such as advisor, teacher, etc. (it's 'frowned' upon to have 3 vet letters).

I've not applied to Ohio, so I'm not sure if they have their own app or go thru VMCAS. This would help to know for your specific situation.:)

There are some points in here that aren't completely accurate. VMCAS doesn't allow more than 3 eLORs. You can do as many additional paper LORs as you want to. I did 3 eLORs and 1 paper LOR. Some schools don't accept paper LORs and some schools won't look at more than the 3 letters you want to count as your primary letters (some schools had me send them an email indicating which 3 LORs were my primary ones).

Also, in my experience looking at schools, most schools say that they want 1 vet LOR, and the other two can be academic, work, etc. Some schools require 2 vet LORs, but they are in the minority, I believe (Ohio, UGA, and a few others I'm sure). I didn't have 2 vet recs, so I looked at this closely, and didn't feel like my lack of a 2nd letter closed off that many schools to me.

I've also never heard it frowned upon to have 3 vet LORs. Perhaps it might make you look less well rounded, and I can see that if you have more than one vet from the same hospital or other place at which you worked, that might not be the smartest. I do recall someone on here saying that they had exactly that situation, and the comments they got were that those LORs were so similar, it was detrimental to them. I also think I remember someone on here saying they had 3 vet LORs. I believe they got in. I would focus more on picking the people who can say the best things about you from different areas of your life rather than worrying that you have too many vet recs.

I just read the directions on VMCAS, and it stated they required at least 3 eLORS but you could submit as many as 5. However, they would all be sent to your school and you would have to sort it out with admissions which ones they should read.

I know for Illinois, they only accept 3 eLOR. That would be the first three eLOR they receive. There also may be other schools that work this way.

I've also never heard it frowned upon to have 3 vet LORs. Perhaps it might make you look less well rounded, and I can see that if you have more than one vet from the same hospital or other place at which you worked, that might not be the smartest.

I say this only based on the only 2 people I know that did 3 vets last year (and not all from the same hospital of even area of medicine), and both were told to avoid this during their post-mortems. And one of them had a general practice vet, a research vet and a specialist (well rounded in my opinion) and was still told to swap one for a non-vet.

I say this only based on the only 2 people I know that did 3 vets last year (and not all from the same hospital of even area of medicine), and both were told to avoid this during their post-mortems. And one of them had a general practice vet, a research vet and a specialist (well rounded in my opinion) and was still told to swap one for a non-vet.

That's very interesting (and rather distressing) to hear, and much more specific than what I had to say. I, too, am surprised that recommenders didn't seem like a diverse grouping to the adcoms (DVMs aside). How odd. Thanks for sharing. :)

It does seem a little bit strange, but I'm not surprised that they would want at least one from someone you knew academically as well, since that's what the majority of vet school deals with. It's great that you know how to handle animals and work with them in a veterinary setting - but you need to have the right academic qualities too, and this isn't always 100% assessed by grades only.

Hey guys,

I'm having the same problem I've had the WHOLE 10 months that I've been getting ready to apply, and no solution has yet presented itself...

Vet LORS.

I have 3000 research hours- no problem getting letters there. I'm getting one from my boss of 1 year- an MD PhD. I also will get a letter from my former boss/professor/friend- really great guy- think he'll write me a strong letter.

I have approx 100 hours small animal, and (at the end of summer) 100 hours equine. I might get 40 hours at a neuro place if they say yes to letting me shadow. I don't know who to ask for a vet letter.
Small animal: this shelter has a few vets, its always hectic and I never know who'll I'll be assisting (im a volunteer)- so no vet has gotten to know me very well.
Equine: they know me so-so- they're really nice and I think they like me- it's 2 vets who i could ask to co-author and then just have 1 person submit. The only thing is, it's equine- and I will likely not go into equine.
Neuro: THIS is the specialty I'm considering, so a small animal vet would be great for a LOR, a neuro vet would be top notch. Only problem is if I shadow her, it'll be in August or September, and what if we don't have a great connection, then I'll be up a creek right before the deadline!

So what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I realize that having more hours and more personal connections with vets would be ideal, but I'm really selling myself as a researcher in my application.

I think that since you are selling yourself as a reseacher, it shouldn't matter if your LOR's are from large or small vets. If it were me, I would go with the vet who knows me and my skills the best.