VMCAS 2008 questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's kind of direct but you could ask the equine vet/s if they feel comfortable writing you a strong letter of rec. If they say no then go to someone else if they say yes go with it. I needed a large animal vet letter and worked with one for 100 hours and at the end that's what I asked her mostly because I couldn't get a good feel for whether she thought I did a good job or not! I didn't want a letter if she didn't feel she could write a good one for me. Bascially go with whoever knows you best.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that since you are selling yourself as a reseacher, it shouldn't matter if your LOR's are from large or small vets. If it were me, I would go with the vet who knows me and my skills the best.

Absolutely. Specialty doesn't matter right now.

There was recently a pre-med thread about whether it would be bad to scrubbing into surgeries which got me thinking.

Would it be a bad idea to mention that I have scrubbed into surgeries in the past? Nothing crazy, usually holding limbs in place for ortho surgeries, or tissue to be sutured, instruments, etc.

I am working on my personal statement and was going to mention how one of the vets trying to help me gain exposure would ask me to assist him on surgeries.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think it would be fine, even beneficial, to mention that you have scrubbed in as well as your duties. Here in Cali you would get in HUGE trouble if you did something such as intubating the animal because only an RVT can do that, but it doesn't sound as though you've done anything on that order. Knowing sterile technique is pretty darn important, and I'm sure you got to see some interesting cases :)

Yeah, I think that depends on which state you live in (hope so!!) b/c I intubated pets all of the time and I wasn't a RVT. It was OK as long as I was supervised by a vet. About the only thing we couldn't do that an RVT could was a cysto for urine.

When I walked through the clinic I'm going to work at, the tech that was showing me around pointed out the intubation tubes hanging neatly on the wall and said I'd learn how to do that, if I wanted to. I was like, "Whoah, we can do that here?" Apparently, Okla is pretty lenient. Which is cool... but scary...

When I walked through the clinic I'm going to work at, the tech that was showing me around pointed out the intubation tubes hanging neatly on the wall and said I'd learn how to do that, if I wanted to. I was like, "Whoah, we can do that here?" Apparently, Okla is pretty lenient. Which is cool... but scary...

Florida too. I learned to intubate as well.

There was recently a pre-med thread about whether it would be bad to scrubbing into surgeries which got me thinking.

Would it be a bad idea to mention that I have scrubbed into surgeries in the past? Nothing crazy, usually holding limbs in place for ortho surgeries, or tissue to be sutured, instruments, etc.

I am working on my personal statement and was going to mention how one of the vets trying to help me gain exposure would ask me to assist him on surgeries.

DO IT! I shadowed a single practitioner large animal vet in NJ/PA and I specifically mentioned the work I did with him - I even wrote a whole essay about it. After a few days of shadowing him i was left alone to do castrations, dehorning, etc. I was also allowed to scrub in on a D.A. surgery and towards the end of my time there he allowed me to make the incision for another D.A. surgery and also put in the sutures. (He was great, had a lot of faith in me, and never made me feel i had to do something - I always asked him if i had questions or was unsure and the farmers were always aware of my actions). I had this mentioned at all 3 of my interviews and none of it was negative. I was asked to describe what i did, how i did it, if i felt comfortable doing it, etc and it was a great talking point.

BARNABY: regarding your question on LOR's...as people have said - get whoever will write you the best LOR and knows you the best. I had the LA vet from above write one letter, and the vet tech who i worked with at the Central Park Zoo Clinic. Most of the time i said i was interested in small animal specialty (especially neuro). Two interviewers commented on the strength of my LORs and none ever mentioned that those experiences didn't line up with the area i was most interested in. I volunteered and work at The Animal Medical Center in NYC and so I had the opportunity to talk about the SA specialty field when it was brought up in the interviews as you would for your neuro shadowing.

Hope that helps you guys!

I had three vet LORs (one the owner of the practice, two relief vets at the practice) and I got into 2 schools and waitlisted at a third. I don't know that it really matters that hugely. The two schools I was rejected from out of hand -- CSU and UC-Davis -- I doubt it was because of my LORS. :p

Hey guys,

I'm having the same problem I've had the WHOLE 10 months that I've been getting ready to apply, and no solution has yet presented itself...

Vet LORS.

I have 3000 research hours- no problem getting letters there. I'm getting one from my boss of 1 year- an MD PhD. I also will get a letter from my former boss/professor/friend- really great guy- think he'll write me a strong letter.

I have approx 100 hours small animal, and (at the end of summer) 100 hours equine. I might get 40 hours at a neuro place if they say yes to letting me shadow. I don't know who to ask for a vet letter.
Small animal: this shelter has a few vets, its always hectic and I never know who'll I'll be assisting (im a volunteer)- so no vet has gotten to know me very well.
Equine: they know me so-so- they're really nice and I think they like me- it's 2 vets who i could ask to co-author and then just have 1 person submit. The only thing is, it's equine- and I will likely not go into equine.
Neuro: THIS is the specialty I'm considering, so a small animal vet would be great for a LOR, a neuro vet would be top notch. Only problem is if I shadow her, it'll be in August or September, and what if we don't have a great connection, then I'll be up a creek right before the deadline!

So what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I realize that having more hours and more personal connections with vets would be ideal, but I'm really selling myself as a researcher in my application.

Barnaby, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!! I'm in the same terrified boat that you are. I have 1500 research hours and 2 great letters from my amazing mentors/professors. I have a good 450 hours of veterinary experience, but those hours were working with a vet that I would NEVER ask for a letter of recommendation, for multiple reasons. Which has left me in the scary position I'm in now!! :scared: Luckily, I just got hired at a new clinic and hopefully by August I will have more hours + a pretty vet letter!

I think personally I would ask the equine veterinarian, simply because it'd be a little bit of a time crunch to have one month to get to know a new vet and then have less than a month for her to write a letter and make sure it arrived on time. In the end, however, you should definitely do whatever you feel is most comfortable! Good luck!

When entering classes, the institution that I attended for a semester abroad is not showing up as one of my options to choose even though I entered it in institutions attended as a foreign university. For now I've just entered the classes under my home institution and selected "Study Abroad" from the Classification Description pull down. Any one else have the same issue?

Ok, never mind, hehe. In the instructions it says this

"Similarly, if you participated in education abroad under the auspices of a U.S. school and the international course work appears on the transcript for the U.S. school as regular credit, list only the U.S. school and NOT the international institution."

Still doesn't really explain why it wouldn't show up as an option though...

Hi all,

So I know a few people have mentioned that they feel silly listing high school activities on the application since they occurred so long ago.

I have no issue listing important awards (valedictorian, scholarships etc), however, I do feel really stupid listing activities like "Thespians" "band" "pom-pons" etc... you know?

I want to show that I was involved in these things, but I don't want to look like I'm reaching in order to pad my application...

I am considering making 1 category of "High School Activities". In the description I'll just name each and anything notable about the experience. I think it works better than having 8 categories from high school with 1 sentence under each.

I know that they barely look at the activities section- they really just care about the animal stuff, but my question is this:

Would anybody advise me AGAINST doing it this way? Let's play good idea/bad idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I don't really understand the section where you have to list all the schools you were ever admitted to, and then list again all the ones you attended. I guess if you had an unusual college experience where you took time off, or transferred, or something, I could understand this, but that's not my case.

I did, however, apply to a LOT of schools (10) for undergrad, and got admitted to 7 of them. I only chose one, obviously, and then I have a couple other schools on there for my post-bac work (yay non-trad).

My Q is: do I have to list every single college that offered me admission when I was leaving high school??!??!?!?!?!? That seems crazy, but... yeah.

Anyone have any idea?

My Q is: do I have to list every single college that offered me admission when I was leaving high school??!??!?!?!?!? That seems crazy, but... yeah.

Anyone have any idea?

Ok, so I don't know the answer because this never occurred to me last year. I guess it wouldn't have made a difference for me as I applied to undergrad early decision, but wow, why on earth would they want to know everywhere you applied and were offered admission? Can you copy and paste the language? I'm really curious as to whether there might be an alternate interpretation. I can see them wanting to know everywhere you accepted admission, but beyond that seems weird.

Here's how it's worded in the Instructions for the "Previous Professional & Undergraduate Enrollments" section.

"You must complete this section before you start the Institutions Attended Section.

In this section, you will list information on all postsecondary institutions to which you applied and were admitted to."

Then a little further down in the instructions, it says to indicate month and year that you were admitted, and when you enrolled/declined/withdrew/deferred/took a leave of absence/were suspended/completed.

I had to go dig up my acceptance letters from senior year of high school which were collecting dust under my bed. :p

Here's how it's worded in the Instructions for the "Previous Professional & Undergraduate Enrollments" section.

"You must complete this section before you start the Institutions Attended Section.

In this section, you will list information on all postsecondary institutions to which you applied and were admitted to."

Then a little further down in the instructions, it says to indicate month and year that you were admitted, and when you enrolled/declined/withdrew/deferred/took a leave of absence/were suspended/completed.

I had to go dig up my acceptance letters from senior year of high school which were collecting dust under my bed. :p

Interesting. Though from the title of the section, you'd think they just want to hear about places at which you were enrolled or intended to enroll. I honestly don't think that anyone would care if you guys left off the other colleges you were offered admission to for undergrad, but maybe someone should call the VMCAS hotline and find out.

Hi all,

So I know a few people have mentioned that they feel silly listing high school activities on the application since they occurred so long ago.

I have no issue listing important awards (valedictorian, scholarships etc), however, I do feel really stupid listing activities like "Thespians" "band" "pom-pons" etc... you know?

I want to show that I was involved in these things, but I don't want to look like I'm reaching in order to pad my application...

I am considering making 1 category of "High School Activities". In the description I'll just name each and anything notable about the experience. I think it works better than having 8 categories from high school with 1 sentence under each.

I know that they barely look at the activities section- they really just care about the animal stuff, but my question is this:

Would anybody advise me AGAINST doing it this way? Let's play good idea/bad idea.

I listed separately the activities I was heavily involved in. (Academic Team and Tennis for me) and then mentioned other activities in one entry, I think.

Like general category: High School Honor Societies
Nation Honor Society: Completed X hours of community service involving Y.
Beta Club: Attended statewide conference. Completed X hours of community service involving Y.

General category: Community Service
Academy for Young Leaders: Description here
Z Homeless Shelter: Description here
Church: Description here

General category: High School Clubs
Spirit Club: Description here
Etc.

Make sense?

See, I kind of like that they require you to specify the schools that you were admitted to...I ended up choosing a small liberal arts school out of state, which I'm worried my in state ad com may not be as familiar with. However, I'm sure they've heard of all the other schools I was accepted to, so hopefully they'll realize I'm not a complete dummy. :rolleyes:

This is probably a question to which I should already know the answer, but...

How do the eLORs work with submitting your application? Can you submit your application without the eLORs, which come whenever they are done? Or do you have to recieve every eLOR before you can submit your application?

I'm tying to figure out when to ask my mentors for LORs. I would like to submit my application at least a month early as a safety net, but I want to give them enough time. Also I just started working with one of them this summer and want to give him time to get to know me better.

Also along those lines, how do you balance getting in your application early vs. waiting until the last second so you can put as many hours on there as possible? Can you assume the near future (say, a month) and add hours that you *know* you will get, or do you just add the hours that you have up to the day that you submit? When are most of you planning on submitting??

This is probably a question to which I should already know the answer, but...

How do the eLORs work with submitting your application? Can you submit your application without the eLORs, which come whenever they are done? Or do you have to recieve every eLOR before you can submit your application?

I'm tying to figure out when to ask my mentors for LORs. I would like to submit my application at least a month early as a safety net, but I want to give them enough time. Also I just started working with one of them this summer and want to give him time to get to know me better.

Also along those lines, how do you balance getting in your application early vs. waiting until the last second so you can put as many hours on there as possible? Can you assume the near future (say, a month) and add hours that you *know* you will get, or do you just add the hours that you have up to the day that you submit? When are most of you planning on submitting??

Yes you can submit your application with LOR admissions pending. BUT! I would caution you not to do that. Im sure others who've done this before will have a different opinion, but with 6 VMCAS apps under my belt, I learned the hard way to wait until all my LORs were submitted. If your "person" doesnt respond or looses the link for the site, you can resubmit/have VMCAS send an email with the link as long as your app isnt submitted. I also inform my LORs to immediately save the email link that sends them their username and password, bc while it can be retrieved by calling VMCAS, its faster if they just save it. (Sound simple, but sometimes Dr.s are too busy to think that far in advance) I also tell them the deadline is Sept 1, and give them plenty of time--at least 2 months notice. Of course if they need more time to get to know you, then you will have to wait to submit until later, but at least the other LORs will be complete and that will help you relax. On the waiting until last minute thing...Ive never submitted my application sooner than a week before the Oct 1 deadline, and Ive never had a problem with congestion. On average I sent mine in 2 days before. Call it luck or whatever. I usually log-on/ submit on off-peak computer hours. (The exact time Im keeping secret.:D)

Thanks! That helps a lot, makes me feel better!

Last year I had a paper LOR submitted, and it wouldn't show up as received in the VMCAS system until a week after I submitted my application - I called them about it because I was paranoid, and they specifically told me that paper LORs are not entered into the system until after the application is submitted and paid for.

I know most people do the eLORs these days, but I wanted to give a heads up in case anyone is sending in traditional LORs!

Here is what has been confusing me on VMCAS.

I took two classes at the university near my high school while I was a senior in high school. When I went off to college I transferred both of those classes to the school I now go to and they show up on my transcript (without grades). I think I know that I am supposed to list the classes from the original university that I took them and submit a transcript from there as well BUT I don't get how I am supposed to enter it under 'previous professional and undergraduate enrollments' since I was never really admitted there or enrolled exactly. I just took some classes. Advice anyone????

I took two classes at the university near my high school while I was a senior in high school. When I went off to college I transferred both of those classes to the school I now go to and they show up on my transcript (without grades). I think I know that I am supposed to list the classes from the original university that I took them and submit a transcript from there as well BUT I don't get how I am supposed to enter it under 'previous professional and undergraduate enrollments' since I was never really admitted there or enrolled exactly. I just took some classes. Advice anyone????

If they transferred into your primary university and appear on that transcript, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to list them under your primary uni. But call VMCAS and ask. You're definitely not supposed to double list, though, so only list those classes once under one of the schools.

I am in the same boat. I simply listed the university that the credits were earned through and put the month/year that I "enrolled" in the previous institutions field. (I didn't enter anything for applied, completed, etc - just enrolled. I am not sure that what I did is the correct thing to do, but I don't see the other fields as applicable. The credits appear on my primary institution's transcript, but I am pretty confident that you are supposed to list them separately (as well as provide a separate transcript).

Hope that helps!

If they transferred into your primary university and appear on that transcript, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to list them under your primary uni. But call VMCAS and ask. You're definitely not supposed to double list, though, so only list those classes once under one of the schools.

I dunno about that, all the classes from prior universities appeared on my transcripts from each school I went to, but I don't think it would be right to list them all under UCF (the last place I went for undergrad) or anything. I agree with calling VMCAS to find out about this situation, but for the most part you need to list the courses under the institution where they were taken.

Sorry, I just double checked my VMCAS app from last year...I listed my courses that transferred into my primary university under the university at which I took the class. And I didn't list them for my primary uni even though they appeared on that transcript. I remember calling the VMCAS hotline about it last year, I apparently just didn't recall what they told me to do and what I did. I did recall the bit about not double listing things, though. I know you're not supposed to do that.

just my opinion, but i think in the section where you list schools that you were admitted to, they only want the schools that you actually attended to be listed there. i think that if it said to list schools where you were accepted, or the schools that offered you admission, you would list all of of them, but it says schools that you were admitted to, indicating, in my opinion, that these are the schools you actually went to.

Well you guys are right about listing all colleges accepted to, unfortunately I no longer have all those admission letters but I just put down everything I remembered which is a decent list.

I also did a 2 year program at a UK college, similar to an Associate's degree, and I did NOT do this through an education abroad program. I have been able to list this in the schools admitted/attended/enrolled sections but can't seem to get the transcript page to allow me to choose my foreign institution.

I don't really know if it matters, the classes I took were sort of vet-related (Equine Anat/Phys, Feeding, Training, Stable management, small business management, financial management, Equitation, Equine Science, etc) but none of them were letter graded the way that we do it. It was a fail-pass-credit-distinction system instead.

I am going to call the hotline and ask if there is some way of listing the classes that I took over there on the transcript. If there is not, I am considering using my "explanation" section to describe my UK coursework/experience, as I don't have much other use for it.

What do you guys think? Anyone else in the same boat, or had this experience before? Do you think the explanation section is the right place to put this information?

Omg do I have to get transcripts from england :confused: haha I am totally feeling like I am getting way more than I bargained for, here.

hey all! for the descriptions, can you list your duties, as well as briefly explain what you gained/learned from your experience in that description?

what about elementary and middle school extracurriculars, awards, etc? ex. i played in the band for 5 years in elementary/middle school, was in choir...etc., but was not in high school or during college.. I know the most recent stuff is the most important, but i did some cool stuff in elementary and middle school that i still remember :) I think some schools say high school onward, but some don't specify. lol, I don't want to seem like I'm just adding in random things, but it was a big part of my childhood...what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Do you really think activities that you haven't been involved with for 8+ years contribute to you being a well rounded individual?

And if they were that important to you, why haven't you been involved with them in the last 8 years...

I wouldn't list anything from before high school.

Bcrunner,

Echoing what WolfVet said, I called the hotline about the same question, and I was told to list them as part of my first semester at my undergrad. The university had listed the APs on my transcript, but not in any particular semester so it was a little confusing.

Does anyone know how to handle APs that did not transfer to university? The college I attended would not accept any AP credit, and thus none of mine transferred...

In a similar vein, I took six college courses during high school. The college I attended would not accept any transfer credits (am I sounding like a broken record)? As a result, these six courses do not show up anywhere on my undergrad transcript. Should I list them? If yes, as what? Would my status be "Freshman"...?

Anyone who has run into similar problems, your advice would be much appreciated.

Bcrunner,

Echoing what WolfVet said, I called the hotline about the same question, and I was told to list them as part of my first semester at my undergrad. The university had listed the APs on my transcript, but not in any particular semester so it was a little confusing.

Well you guys are right about listing all colleges accepted to, unfortunately I no longer have all those admission letters but I just put down everything I remembered which is a decent list.

I also did a 2 year program at a UK college, similar to an Associate's degree, and I did NOT do this through an education abroad program. I have been able to list this in the schools admitted/attended/enrolled sections but can't seem to get the transcript page to allow me to choose my foreign institution.

I don't really know if it matters, the classes I took were sort of vet-related (Equine Anat/Phys, Feeding, Training, Stable management, small business management, financial management, Equitation, Equine Science, etc) but none of them were letter graded the way that we do it. It was a fail-pass-credit-distinction system instead.

I am going to call the hotline and ask if there is some way of listing the classes that I took over there on the transcript. If there is not, I am considering using my "explanation" section to describe my UK coursework/experience, as I don't have much other use for it.

What do you guys think? Anyone else in the same boat, or had this experience before? Do you think the explanation section is the right place to put this information?

Omg do I have to get transcripts from england :confused: haha I am totally feeling like I am getting way more than I bargained for, here.

I earned my Master's from a German University (not through study-abroad program). I, too, am unable to select the foreign university from the drop-down menu on the transcript page. However, there does seem to be a blank spot at the top of the drop-down menu -- perhaps this blank is for the foreign university? Let me know if you were able to get an answer from VMCAS.

Also, in regards to the foreign transcript -- VMCAS states that you're supposed to have all foreign transcripts evaluated by one of three official evaluation agencies. The fees are around $200. I've called two schools to which I'm applying, and both of them said it would be sufficient for me to have copies of the English version of the transcript signed by a notary public (I have official English-language transcripts from the German university). The two schools also said I could send the notarized copies directly, and that they didn't have to be signed and sealed (that whole concept isn't really understood in Germany, so trying to get the bureaucracy to do it is nearly impossible).

That said, I still have to call a bunch of other vet schools to see what their policies are...which means I may still have to couch up another $200 for an official translation of the transcript by one of these agencies...

Have you gotten any additional information on this?

Does anyone know how to handle APs that did not transfer to university? The college I attended would not accept any AP credit, and thus none of mine transferred...

In a similar vein, I took six college courses during high school. The college I attended would not accept any transfer credits (am I sounding like a broken record)? As a result, these six courses do not show up anywhere on my undergrad transcript. Should I list them? If yes, as what? Would my status be "Freshman"...?

Anyone who has run into similar problems, your advice would be much appreciated.

I didn't have to deal with anything precisely similar, but for some vet schools, they actually won't accept AP credit listed on transcripts...your scores have to come directly from college board. I would probably call VMCAS and check, or email some of the schools you are applying to and see if that is something important/something they want/can just have your scores sent to them via collegeboard

I know mine weren't REALLY all that applicable to prevet requirements except for calculus I guess and some english requirements for various schools, so it might also depend on the prereqs of schools you are applying to.

NoR

I too have been searching for an affordable way to get 9 copies of my transcript-- I was looking at those Foreign Credential places today, they are so expensive! One of them wanted an extra $40 to calculate your GPA!

I am going to take your advice and call around... Which schools said you could send a notarized transcript? Maybe we are applying to some of the same ones?

I contacted my college in England and luckily they got back to me right away. They said that my certificate was awarded in conjunction with *another* British school-- so technically the transcript comes from Harper Adams University College instead of Warwickshire College that I actually attended--- so if I want copies from HAUC I need to probably apply directly to them in writing.

Because all of these options are going to be a royal pain, I think I'll call my schools first. I don't want to spend a lot of money on the Foreign Credential Eval people if I don't have to-- this was *not* my primary degree, so I'm hoping it's not that big of a deal.

For the experience section on the VMCAS, is there a way to rearrange the order of your experiences? For example if I have stuff from 2007, 2006, 2002, but then I remembered about my experience in 2004, is there a way to put the 2004 experience after 2006, or do I have to delete 2002 and re-do it?

Also another question on experience. I used to work at a vet clinic as a receptionist where I did alot of receptionist stuff, but also holding animals for blood/nail trims/etc. I'm now volunteering at the same clinic, but I'm doing alot of job shadowing, working more closely with the DVMs and watching surgeries and things. Right now on my VMCAS I have this as 2 different experiences, is this okay? Should I put them both under one, even though I feel I recieved different experiences from these 2 different "positions", and can most likely put them under 2 different DVMs?

Last edited:
how exactly is a new session defined? it seems like it is by school name and semester. but what if you attended two or three schools in a given semester? would a semester or quarter that you attended two schools comprise two separate sessions? curious about your thoughts, but i will call vmcas.

Ok noI am really confused. I was going along my merry way, inputting my classes from my CC first, and THEN read some instructions,... which say in big, BOLD letters: do not list transfer courses. So,... how am I supposed to LIST them...?!?! They're a significant part of my undergrad., and some of them from my CC are listed on my university transcript, but some are not (as they didn't fulfill any specific university requirement). Anyone know how they're expecting to see this?

Ok noI am really confused. I was going along my merry way, inputting my classes from my CC first, and THEN read some instructions,... which say in big, BOLD letters: do not list transfer courses. So,... how am I supposed to LIST them...?!?! They're a significant part of my undergrad., and some of them from my CC are listed on my university transcript, but some are not (as they didn't fulfill any specific university requirement). Anyone know how they're expecting to see this?

You would list them for the community college, and not for the university that your transfered them to. The idea is that everything should only be listed once.

Anyone know why the UF supplemental (the "professional school" application) won't allow you to choose veterinary medicine? Am I just too impatient?

Do I need to list ALL my GRE scores?

I took it last year as practice and this year for real. About the same score, a tiny bit higher the second time around. Am I required to list and send both scores to all the schools, just list the score from last year and list/send this year's score, or can I just list/send this year's without mentioning last year's?

Do I need to list ALL my GRE scores?

I took it last year as practice and this year for real. About the same score, a tiny bit higher the second time around. Am I required to list and send both scores to all the schools, just list the score from last year and list/send this year's score, or can I just list/send this year's without mentioning last year's?

You should list both, because ETS will send both regardless.

To anyone who has been following the problem with inputting courses taken at foreign schools (NOT transfer courses): I heard back from VMCAS today. They are aware of the problem and hope to have it fixed by early next week (week of July 14th). When the problem is fixed, they will call back anyone who has lodged a complaint.

i also called about this issue but got no difinitive timeline. though, she said she would call when a solution was found. that section should be an excell or word table - we could copy and paste the repetitive information - so easy. all the clicking is giving me a headache.

So, I've pretty much just started the VMCAS and I already have a tummy ache. I have a few questions that are a bit confusing and the VMCAS instructions don't seem to clarify anything very well for the sections I'm having problems with.

My first issue is with the "Previous Professional & Undergraduate Enrollments" section. I applied to my first college and was admitted in May of the year I applied. I enrolled in August of the same year. Should I list both of these dates or only my enrollment date?
Two years later, I transferred to another school, but I never officially withdrew from my first college- I just stopped going after my semester was over and never signed up for anymore classes! Should I list a date in the "withdrew" category anyway?

My second question concerns the "Coursework" section. For every course entered, VMCAS asks to choose the course level as lower division (fr/so) or upper division (jr/sr) and I'm not sure what classes qualify as upper level or lower level exactly. I'm thinking that 2000 level classes and below are lower level and 3000+ level classes are upper level. I tried looking through the course catalog for my university, but again, I couldn't decide which classes were which.

And, final question... in the "Background" section they ask for a student reported GPA, I'm assuming they want a cumulative GPA?

Thanks!

just in terms of the coursework, my understanding is that lower division courses mean specifically what it says in parentheses..if you took it your freshmen or sophomore year..i could be totally wrong though

My second question concerns the "Coursework" section. For every course entered, VMCAS asks to choose the course level as lower division (fr/so) or upper division (jr/sr) and I'm not sure what classes qualify as upper level or lower level exactly. I'm thinking that 2000 level classes and below are lower level and 3000+ level classes are upper level. I tried looking through the course catalog for my university, but again, I couldn't decide which classes were which.

I actually e-mailed my school's registrar and asked them this. It could be different for each college, but I think almost all go by the 1000/2000 = fr/so, and 3000/4000 = jr/sr. It didn't make much sense to me on some courses... for example, at my school Org Chem I and II are lower level but introduction to nutrition is upper level?? But that's what they said, and that's what I followed.

Anyone know why the UF supplemental (the "professional school" application) won't allow you to choose veterinary medicine? Am I just too impatient?

I was wondering the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby

It will be corrected as soon as the IT department gets to it...