VMCAS 2010 is up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wakeboardpro4487

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What now?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gosh I am SO glad I won't have to mess with that this year. Last year I spent my entire summer filling out applications, it was equivalent to a full-time job! Good luck to all of you that will be applying :xf:

Gosh I am SO glad I won't have to mess with that this year. Last year I spent my entire summer filling out applications, it was equivalent to a full-time job! Good luck to all of you that will be applying :xf:
Same here! Although I promised some close friends I'd input a lot of their data for them so they can focus on essays/summer classes. I took 23 units the summer I applied plus worked 40 hours. I felt all I did was school, apps, work, all summer long.

Since reading all the posts about how much time it takes to do applications and admonishments not to wait until the last minute, I've been chomping at the bit to start for the last month or so! I even went and asked my favorite intern if she would write an eLOR for me. She probably thinks I'm crazy to be asking 6 months in advance!

Since reading all the posts about how much time it takes to do applications and admonishments not to wait until the last minute, I've been chomping at the bit to start for the last month or so! I even went and asked my favorite intern if she would write an eLOR for me. She probably thinks I'm crazy to be asking 6 months in advance!

There is a lot you can start on now, start writing your personal statment, that took me forever. If you know what schools your looking at applying to start making a list of why that school fits you, what attracts you to its program and what you will bring to that school. This will help with some general essays and such. Also start a list of all your experiences, the hours, the contact info, and description of duties in 40 or 80 words (I cant remember the exact requirement). I can send you my personal statement if you want, I dont have the editted one I sent in since that computer crashed but I have my last one before spell/grammar check. Also Pomona2006 posted a PS under the successful applicant page. As far as eLORs try for 2 vets and 1 high ranked professor. My professor said try and having everyone have some higher education (Masters or pHD) looks really good. Remember they only require 3 but you can sumbit up to 5.

I'd start a binder with info for each school - what prereqs they need, what eLORs they need (GeeQued suggested 2 vets and 1 professor, but some schools specify they want 2 professors, or an advisor, etc. etc.) Also, if you can figure out what supplemental apps will have for essays, it can be super helpful when writing your PS - all the schools I was applying to asked for a separate diversity statement, so I didn't include that info in my PS.

Since I am completely averse to writing, I put all of that stuff into an Excel spreadsheet that I work on when I have time. Like, how many LORs each place needs, what kinds, supplemental apps and fees, deadlines for supp apps, etc...

Last time I only applied to one school and it was not nearly this complicated. We see where that got me... :laugh:

Since reading all the posts about how much time it takes to do applications and admonishments not to wait until the last minute, I've been chomping at the bit to start for the last month or so! !

I know! I printed a bunch of info for a few schools the other day. I see myself spending alot of time on that website. Our turn to hurry up and wait, 2014!

Some good suggestions here! I've already started a spreadsheet, spending many hours on vet school websites (great way to put off doing schoolwork!), but I haven't quite started the writing part yet.

Some good suggestions here! I've already started a spreadsheet, spending many hours on vet school websites (great way to put off doing schoolwork!), but I haven't quite started the writing part yet.

LOL if you give me another day or two I can post my spread sheet on here, has everything from classes to stats (although its tailored to CA residents so the only diff would be your instate school and davis)