VMCAS Application - Where to put my non-research thesis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CynicKitten

CSU c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Honors program at my university requires a Senior Honors Thesis for completion. I did a literature review on the effects of gonadectomy on cancer rates in canines - not my own research (and my pre-vet adviser suggests it doesn't really fit in with the spirit of the "Research" section in the VMCAS). However, I did have to defend it and write a paper.

I was thinking I would put it in the "Achievements" section - but under what type? It's not really an Award, Honor, or Scholarship (duhhh).

Where do you all think I should put this experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like if you're mentioning that you completed the Honors program at your school, that should be enough? Otherwise its like you're listing the same thing twice? Maybe I don't understand the exact situation.

The Honors program at my university requires a Senior Honors Thesis for completion. I did a literature review on the effects of gonadectomy on cancer rates in canines - not my own research (and my pre-vet adviser suggests it doesn't really fit in with the spirit of the "Research" section in the VMCAS). However, I did have to defend it and write a paper.

I was thinking I would put it in the "Achievements" section - but under what type? It's not really an Award, Honor, or Scholarship (duhhh).

Where do you all think I should put this experience?
I had to do a paper of that type for one of my classes (semester-long project involving reviewing scientific literature, writing the paper, presentation, etc) and didn't list it outside of just listing the class in coursework. This sounds like the kind of thing that falls under coursework and probably shouldn't/doesn't need to be listed elsewhere on the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did an honors thesis that was very similar to what yours sounds like, and I put it under the research section. I did a literature review along with some other things.

I'd list your Honors program completion under Honors, and just do a little blurb about the paper in that description. I definitely listed things I did in classes separately from their course titles, if appropriate, and this worked fine for me. (ex: I took horseback riding for credit, had it in coursework and animal experience, worked as a TA for credit and definitely listed that elsewhere, etc).

I did an honors thesis that was very similar to what yours sounds like, and I put it under the research section. I did a literature review along with some other things.

What other things did you do? Were they more research-y than the literature review?

I'd list your Honors program completion under Honors, and just do a little blurb about the paper in that description. I definitely listed things I did in classes separately from their course titles, if appropriate, and this worked fine for me. (ex: I took horseback riding for credit, had it in coursework and animal experience, worked as a TA for credit and definitely listed that elsewhere, etc).

Yeah, I definitely want to list it separately. I am going to include a link to the Dropbox file, actually! And it was required for the Honors completion, but it was also an actual thesis, so I am not sure if an "Honors" listing is appropriate - but maybe it is. Where do you think someone would/should put their capstone project?

I had to do a paper of that type for one of my classes (semester-long project involving reviewing scientific literature, writing the paper, presentation, etc) and didn't list it outside of just listing the class in coursework. This sounds like the kind of thing that falls under coursework and probably shouldn't/doesn't need to be listed elsewhere on the application.

I feel like if you're mentioning that you completed the Honors program at your school, that should be enough? Otherwise its like you're listing the same thing twice? Maybe I don't understand the exact situation.

Except that if anyone did a capstone project or a thesis separate from the class, they would list it separately. The class is so general that it offers no explanation of what went into it - you could do an art thesis or a lab-based research thesis. I know several current vet students used their theses in their apps, so I think I'm gonna list it (I just don't know where). :)

The other half of my thesis involved interviews I did which I then compared to my literature review. I definitely think you should list it separately because not all honors programs require a thesis. It's such a big achievement that deserves recognition :)