VMCAS- GPA and primary schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnvyPointers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I know this has been asked before, but I'm having trouble figuring out an exact answer. I searched the other threads and still couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

Soooo... I have moved all around the country in the past few years and have taken courses at 4 different institutions. I have an Associate's degree from one school, but just completed courses at others. My pre-reqs are so spread out it's difficult to easily call one of them "primary" based on where I have completed the most as it relates to vet school requisites.

What's the consensus? Should I just list the college where I have my degree from as my primary?

And what should I then do GPA-wise? List that GPA from that primary and then under explanation list the cumulative GPA? HAHAHA! I think I just answered my own question(s), but I'd still like to hear what others think. Especially about listing a Primary school. for now, I've got it as the one where I have the degree from.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm not really sure which school you should list as primary (most recent?), but as for listing other GPAs, this is what VMCAS says in the instructions:

Overall GPA
If you have attended multiple colleges list the GPA for your primary college. GPAs from other colleges should be listed on the Explanation Statement at the end of this section.

So you should list the other individual GPAs in the explanation statement, not the overall cumulative for all schools.

if there isn't one school where you've completed the most prereqs, then list the one where you obtained your degree from for simplicity. then list that gpa.

plus all of your transcripts will be there for comparison.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to Ohio State and asked them the same question. The reply I received said that it didn't really matter because all of my courses were going to be listed on my VMCAS app and they were going to do the GPA calculating based on all my courses. Hope this helps!

So you should list the other individual GPAs in the explanation statement, not the overall cumulative for all schools.

There really isn't a "should" though for the explanation statement. You can list whatever GPAs you want there; cumulative, institutional, all courses that begin with the letter M, upper division, prereq, whatever...

The schools are going to calculate their own GPAs based on your course list and transcripts for any objective ranking part anyway. I see writing any GPAs in your explanation statement as sort of just a way to talk about them, I think, if you want to indicate a particular trend or highlight a certain thing, for the subjective part of the evaluation.