Volunteer Scribe Internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted807068

Hey guys, I just want some advice on whether or not I should take this opportunity. It's a 8 month commitment, doing 8 hours a week. They will write you a good letter of recommendation at the end of it and of course it will count as volunteer hours. It's a free health clinic serving the underserved communities. What do you guys think. Good or nah? Should I just go for a paid scribe position, is that better? I need volunteer hours anyways, so might as well do it at this place where you will basically be guaranteed a good letter of recommendation while also racking up easily 400 hours plus of volunteering. I don't know really what to do. A 50/50 thing here for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I just want some advice on whether or not I should take this opportunity. It's a 8 month commitment, doing 8 hours a week. They will write you a good letter of recommendation at the end of it and of course it will count as volunteer hours. It's a free health clinic serving the underserved communities. What do you guys think. Good or nah? Should I just go for a paid scribe position, is that better? I need volunteer hours anyways, so might as well do it at this place where you will basically be guaranteed a good letter of recommendation while also racking up easily 400 hours plus of volunteering. I don't know really what to do. A 50/50 thing here for me.
Also, it will count as shadowing and clinical experience and they have all types of doctors (D.O. and M.D) of all specialties so I will probably be able to shadow 6-7 different physicians. In addition, I can rack up 400 hours+ of clinical experience as well as volunteering since I'm not getting paid.

That opportunity sounds awesome. It only took me a few weeks of scribing to realize I don't like emergency medicine so I'm jealous of the variety you could get in this position. Also as far as money goes, do you need the little bit of money you can get from paid scribing for food/rent/beer? If the answer is no then don't worry about paid v unpaid and go for this good experience.

That opportunity sounds awesome. It only took me a few weeks of scribing to realize I don't like emergency medicine so I'm jealous of the variety you could get in this position. Also as far as money goes, do you need the little bit of money you can get from paid scribing for food/rent/beer? If the answer is no then don't worry about paid v unpaid and go for this good experience.
Awesome, thanks for the insight!