Volunteering - Crisis Text Line?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idunnowhattonamemyself

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was counting my volunteering hours and was wondering whether I should include volunteering through Crisis Text Line. Crisis Text Line is online volunteering done on your computer in the comfort of your own home, but I believe that it truly valuable as it reaches out to and helps individuals.

Without counting the text line hours, I will have approximately 150 volunteer hours. However, if I do count these hours, I will have around 350 hours, so I would love to include these hours. I don't know if I could because it isn't done in-person but through texts.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you calculate those hours? Did you calculate the number of texts and/or conversations and how long they took?

How did you calculate those hours? Did you calculate the number of texts and/or conversations and how long they took?
We sign up for shifts each week, and each shift is approximately 2 hours. I aim to do 2 shifts a week (4 hours), but some weeks I get busy and take one shift.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also volunteered on the crisis textline and listed it on my application.

It came up several times in my interviews as well and the faculty seemed genuinely interested in it.

150 hours seems just fine to me. But if you want to use the crisis hotline hours, that's fine as well.