Volunteering hours time period

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

So I've been involved in two volunteering organizations; one for around 7 years, and the other for two. Each is an annual thing, so I get only a week of volunteering for each. I get about 25 hours in a weekend with the first organization (dental related), and 80 hours in a week at the latter (I'm the dean of students at a overnight leadership camp thing). I know these are considered long exposure, but is it being ONLY annual a bad thing?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been involved in two volunteering organizations; one for around 7 years, and the other for two. Each is an annual thing, so I get only a week of volunteering for each. I get about 25 hours in a weekend with the first organization (dental related), and 80 hours in a week at the latter (I'm the dean of students at a overnight leadership camp thing). I know these are considered long exposure, but is it being ONLY annual a bad thing?

I included an experience that I had done annually during each year of college and it was not brought up at any of my interviews. I'm not sure if it helped to include it, but it most definitely did not hurt. I did not, however, include anything from before starting college, as I had read that that was frowned upon. I am assuming that you joined the organization that you have been a member of for 7 years before college. I think since it has continued for that long it would be fair to include the entire duration on your application.

I included an experience that I had done annually during each year of college and it was not brought up at any of my interviews. I'm not sure if it helped to include it, but it most definitely did not hurt. I did not, however, include anything from before starting college, as I had read that that was frowned upon. I am assuming that you joined the organization that you have been a member of for 7 years before college. I think since it has continued for that long it would be fair to include the entire duration on your application.

I'm just wondering, are these hours looked down upon in comparison to a weekly thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wondering, are these hours looked down upon in comparison to a weekly thing?

I don't think they are considered any "less" valuable or enriching to an applicant. Experience is experience. If you feel you gained a lot from those 7 years, then be sure to bring it up when asked about your volunteering. I think you might be overthinking things a little. Depending on when you plan on applying, why not supplement your application with some volunteering on a weekly basis?

I don't think they are considered any "less" valuable or enriching to an applicant. Experience is experience. If you feel you gained a lot from those 7 years, then be sure to bring it up when asked about your volunteering. I think you might be overthinking things a little. Depending on when you plan on applying, why not supplement your application with some volunteering on a weekly basis?

Still got a whole year thankfully! I don't want them to think "oh this kid only volunteers two weeks out of the year" and then all my hours basically become depleted! I have a chronic problem of thinking that ADCOM is meaner than they really are

Still got a whole year thankfully! I don't want them to think "oh this kid only volunteers two weeks out of the year" and then all my hours basically become depleted! I have a chronic problem of thinking that ADCOM is meaner than they really are

In my own experience, your interviewers will give you the opportunity to talk about what you feel you gained from your experiences. I would guess that sticking with something for 7 years means that it was of great importance to you. I think ADCOMs will like that level of dedication even if it was only a couple weeks out of the year. I would suggest finding something with this next year that you can do more regularly. I found Habitat for Humanity was my favorite volunteering opportunity, but you could try volunteering regularly at an animal shelter or something similar. You could get an enormous amount of experience with an entire year!

Reactions: 1 user
I think annual volunteering is great! However, I do think a variety is good. Volunteering once a year may tell the admissions committee you only volunteer during the one time that is convenient for you rather than making consistent weekly volunteering a priority all year round.... just a thought. I included both on my application. HOWEVER the fact that you have been committing to these organizations for so long is HUGE and very telling about you!

I think annual volunteering is great! However, I do think a variety is good. Volunteering once a year may tell the admissions committee you only volunteer during the one time that is convenient for you rather than making consistent weekly volunteering a priority all year round.... just a thought. I included both on my application. HOWEVER the fact that you have been committing to these organizations for so long is HUGE and very telling about you!

In my own experience, your interviewers will give you the opportunity to talk about what you feel you gained from your experiences. I would guess that sticking with something for 7 years means that it was of great importance to you. I think ADCOMs will like that level of dedication even if it was only a couple weeks out of the year. I would suggest finding something with this next year that you can do more regularly. I found Habitat for Humanity was my favorite volunteering opportunity, but you could try volunteering regularly at an animal shelter or something similar. You could get an enormous amount of experience with an entire year!

Thank you both for your encouraging responses!! This definitely cleared some stuff up!