LPN2BMD

EMT-P, LPN
Aug 1, 2009
Fort Riley, KS
Status
Pre-Medical
First, let me introduce myself. My name is Chris AKA SSG Broad. I am currently in the Army and deployed to Irag for the second time. I have already been to Afghanistan for an 18 month period. All the time I have been deployed as a medic and because i have advanced skills (ALS,ACLS) I am always on the line (infantry company medic). I am also an LPN bought and paid for by Uncle Sam, money put to good use. I have had a break in service where I was working in an Acute Care Tele floor which I really liked I also have 2 years of ICU time after getting my LPN, liked it more. I have decided to go to med school, if someone lets me in. I am currently taking classes online, core stuff mostly humanities and college algerbra finished nicely with 3.8 GPA. I am going to KSU after I get back to the States in Jan, because it is apart of my ed contract for re-enlisting. I hope to be able to finish within the next 2yrs GOD willing and the Army. I don't know how much I am going to be able to volenteer my time, because there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot of it, by the way I have a wife 200% behind me with 2 young kids. Full time Husband, father, student, oh and the Army too. I get to shadow Docotors all the time in the military I have a very wide scope of practice. I get to hang out all the time bouncing ideas with them it is pretty cool and I have learned so much with these guys. I want to be competitive and get into a good school.. I prefer DO but I will do MD. I know the MCAT and GPA are the biggest factors for them to even look at me but once they are past that is volunteering going to break me and does volunteering for scouts count or maybe volunteering for the Army? Please any advice is welcome.

solzont

10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2009
Oregon
Status
Pharmacy Student
First, let me introduce myself. My name is Chris AKA SSG Broad. I am currently in the Army and deployed to Irag for the second time. I have already been to Afghanistan for an 18 month period. All the time I have been deployed as a medic and because i have advanced skills (ALS,ACLS) I am always on the line (infantry company medic). I am also an LPN bought and paid for by Uncle Sam, money put to good use. I have had a break in service where I was working in an Acute Care Tele floor which I really liked I also have 2 years of ICU time after getting my LPN, liked it more. I have decided to go to med school, if someone lets me in. I am currently taking classes online, core stuff mostly humanities and college algerbra finished nicely with 3.8 GPA. I am going to KSU after I get back to the States in Jan, because it is apart of my ed contract for re-enlisting. I hope to be able to finish within the next 2yrs GOD willing and the Army. I don't know how much I am going to be able to volenteer my time, because there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot of it, by the way I have a wife 200% behind me with 2 young kids. Full time Husband, father, student, oh and the Army too. I get to shadow Docotors all the time in the military I have a very wide scope of practice. I get to hang out all the time bouncing ideas with them it is pretty cool and I have learned so much with these guys. I want to be competitive and get into a good school.. I prefer DO but I will do MD. I know the MCAT and GPA are the biggest factors for them to even look at me but once they are past that is volunteering going to break me and does volunteering for scouts count or maybe volunteering for the Army? Please any advice is welcome.
First to qualify myself. Despite being a PharmD student, I went to school with the son of a prominent vascular surgeon who just happened to know the chair of a Med-School admissions board at a Top-10 program. He got her on the phone with his son (my study buddy in undergrad). My advice is based on his experiences applying to 23 medical schools as the son of prominent surgeon.

Get volunteer time. Service orientation is very important for many schools. There are several community-based opportunities that you can participate in as a family. As a vet who got his degree working full time with a family, you just need to squeeze it in, an hour here...a couple there. It will add up over the long term. Just my .02.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
volunteering is very important. Try to get clinical volunteering. A few hours a week over months adds up. Schools value dedication around 18 consecutive months over the amount of hours.

Despite all your experience as medic it is not volunteering. Sounds like you are on your way though!!

Narnian

Waiting for Aslan
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2009
Status
Non-Student
I am a little cloudy on what they want for volunteer experience as well. Do they mean clinical based volunteering or community based volunteering, or school based volunteer community outreach programs. What exactly is Med Schools looking for when they want volunteering? :confused: I am a foster parent which I do not get paid for, and I work with troubled youth at a state youth program. Does any of this count? I have volunteered for my church for 3 years, do this count? I have 6 years of paid clinical experience. BTW I would like to thank you SSG Broad. I did 2 years in Iraq. (Infantry Line Medic also ) "Soldier Medic" Sarge.

mzblue

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
"Try to get Clinical volunteering?" I thought the OP mentioned he's an LPN who's worked on an Acute tele floor and also has 2years experience in the ICU. That should be clinical experience considering volunteers i see around the hospital who pass water and transport patients count what they do as clinical experience. Besides, some of these premeds take a CNA course and use that as their clinical experience so an LPN is enough. i think the essence of clinical volunteering is to gain exposure into the clinical world, i may be wrong.

Since the OP has some good clinical experience already, volunteering in the community would be a good idea. You're ACLS certified, volunteer for the red cross, they are very flexible with their volunteers. Or do something like big brothers big sisters of america or something else in the community.
good luck.

volunteering is very important. Try to get clinical volunteering. A few hours a week over months adds up. Schools value dedication around 18 consecutive months over the amount of hours.

Despite all your experience as medic it is not volunteering. Sounds like you are on your way though!!

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
To the OP for what it's worth. Given your stats and history, and presuming you continue on with those grades and a good MCAT...

If a medical school doesn't accept you without volunteer experiences then the hell with them. You've earned it. The school needs to make a serious re-evaluation of its admission practices, IMO.

solzont

10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2009
Oregon
Status
Pharmacy Student
Clinical volunteering is not necessary given your CV. Just help people in the community! That's it, be generous and kind...Christ, they're looking for humanity here. Yes, Boyscouts does count, along with soup kitchens, academic outreach, big-brother, etc.

Look, regardless of what they should do (ArkRgr) we know they don't always. Why not cover your bases? You don't need to be Mother Theresa but, god man, do something!

Keep it consistent if possible, as the other poster said. Just 2-4 hrs/wk is better than..."No, Ma'am, I didn't volunteer. I figured I spent enough time defending this fine country that I didn't need to invest further in my fellow man at all. I really care about my community and the less fortunate, I just don't have time. Yeah it's pretty much all about me from here out."

Do people get in with little community service, yes. Nobody...not one got into John's (not his real name) class without community service. The dean even said so during their orientation this summer. Chew on that.

Last edited:

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Despite the excellent clinical work. I imagine the OP was paid so it does not count as clinical volunteering. This is why I did not accept a job as an ER tech because I want the volunteering aspect. This is the way it has been explained to me.

Now, since the OP has experience, regular volunteering probably would be fine but to be safe I would do a little of everything.

You can never have enough in my opinion....

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am a little cloudy on what they want for volunteer experience as well. Do they mean clinical based volunteering or community based volunteering, or school based volunteer community outreach programs. What exactly is Med Schools looking for when they want volunteering? :confused: I am a foster parent which I do not get paid for, and I work with troubled youth at a state youth program. Does any of this count? I have volunteered for my church for 3 years, do this count? I have 6 years of paid clinical experience. BTW I would like to thank you SSG Broad. I did 2 years in Iraq. (Infantry Line Medic also ) "Soldier Medic" Sarge.

I think what you have mentioned is great. But, I still think you need to volunteer with patients somewhere like in an ER since it is the easiest to find. If you get paid, my understanding is it is considered work history, which is great and adds value but does not make up for the clinical vol. I know a RN that had to "clinically volunteer". Just the nature of the game....I guess.

Angio

Radiologist Wannabe
May 22, 2009
Queen Creek, Arizona
Status
Pre-Medical
I have personally called a few osteopathic med schools, to ask them about volunteering... the ones I spoke with said that they want to know that you know what the medical field is all about, therefore, the volunteering effort gets you that ideology. With that said... your on the field, enveloped with "medical stuff" all day long, so I would assume that you would be fine, IMO. However, to appease them, you may as well volunteer a few hours a week at your local infirmary anyways.

Good luck, get home safely!

Jimmy

BruceBanner

strongest one there is
10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2007
Northeast
Status
To the OP for what it's worth. Given your stats and history, and presuming you continue on with those grades and a good MCAT...

If a medical school doesn't accept you without volunteer experiences then the hell with them. You've earned it. The school needs to make a serious re-evaluation of its admission practices, IMO.

I agree.

Given the OP's mil. experience and some boy scout volunteering, I dont think he will be outright denied based on lack of volunteer experience. I also think MD programs are tougher with this requirement than DO programs.

In my opinion the whole "volunteer experience requirement" is rubbish. Everyone knows the vast majority of pre-meds do it purely so they can get into med school. It's a game we all have to play, but it's just that: a game. If they told pre-meds they want to see significant experience wiping people's butts, people would do it.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree.

Given the OP's mil. experience and some boy scout volunteering, I dont think he will be outright denied based on lack of volunteer experience. I also think MD programs are tougher with this requirement than DO programs.

In my opinion the whole "volunteer experience requirement" is rubbish. Everyone knows the vast majority of pre-meds do it purely so they can get into med school. It's a game we all have to play, but it's just that: a game. If they told pre-meds they want to see significant experience wiping people's butts, people would do it.

Exactly. It's just part of the unrealistic B.S. involved in becoming a doctor. I don't and won't have clinical volunteer experience. I have paid clinical experience and nearly a decade of the same volunteer experience. That's enough in my book, and if they don't like it then fine by me. I'll keep on doing what I'm doing now which I already like well enough to do.

kentavr

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical

I would agree. I can guess that the only rationality for volunteering from med school point of view can be:
1. By volunteering the person can find is that job (medicine) OK for him/her? So some people can filter out them self from doctor career before they start invest in it.
2. Dedication

In your case it looks like you have perfect proof for both. Good luck!

blueflower77

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Your experiences sound fantastic for knowing "WHY" you want to go to med school and be a doctor. Because essentially people "volunteer" in a hospital in order to identify if this is what you really want to do. Aside from of course being able to say so on the admissions application.

That said, I am an RN. I KNOW that in nursing school (wherever you went) and in the Army you have received many, multiple shadowing and "doing" opportunities in various departments, specialties, sub-specialties and etc. and I've been told by many people that unlike all those other pre-meds who are running around docs "volunteering" or "shadowing" you actually HAD the chance to touch those patients and take care of them and see all those things in the middle of the night, in combat that those cute volunteers would never see in their lives (or feel for that matter). I think what you have is an enormous advantage in front of you to actually demonstrate that your clinical experiences is much better than that of an average pre-med. So then what you need is to get one of your buddies who's a doc to write you an awesome letter. :) Don't volunteer in a hospital and waste your time following docs and listening to their conversations - that's not what they do anyways (and you know that!) :)))

Otherwise, general community volunteering will show commitment to humanity, your moral values and of course you'll literally be able to say "I volunteered" and get that "check mark" on the application. :) But don't let it be to your detriment for MCAT studying - grades and MCAT always, always, always come first (and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise). :)

Good luck! :)