Volunteering ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted862527

Pretty standard, basic question. I want to be a Hematologist, because blood physiology and medicine is my favorite but I can't find any health facilities related to hematology I could volunteer in. I can do RedCross, but a lot of their volunteer positions are VERY short-term, while I am searching a long-term endeavor. Anyone have any ideas for this?? Maybe I can't volunteer long term for that. I also tried shadowing a Hematopathologist and other General Practitioners, but no one has gotten back to me yet. :/

I am currently also trying to volunteer in an family care clinic/center, which I really am excited about, designed to help underserved populations who cannot afford conventional treatments. I heard Adcoms strongly advise to pursue this type of volunteering, but I am doing it because I want to do something that I find fulfilling and can learn from, and form some sort of baseline I can use as a Physician rather than checking something off.

I also have one last question: to be considered competitive, how many volunteering should I pursue? I would love to do a lot, but I kind of want a specific number and goal in mind I can follow off of. I know I may get some responses as "there is not set number" but in general, I would like to know what may seem competitive or sufficient. I am aiming for 200+ hours for each, but I do want to do this long-term regardless. I probably won't be able to do it if I get accepted in med school, but it is still a good experience to cherish imo.

I plan on doing the following (only for volunteering).
Volunteering:
Hospice
FamilyCare Centers
Crisis Counselor
RedCross

Members don't see this ad.

Try to devote an average of 2 hours per week, 50 weeks per year to community service either in clinical or non-clinical settings.
Also, over time, aim to have at least 40 hours of shadowing and at least a year of exposure to patients on a regular basis. This can be volunteer or paid but it should be for at least a year before you start the application process for medical school.

When you say "canot afford conventional treatments" are you referring to a center that provides unconventional treatments (what we sometimes call alternative medicine)?

Also, even though you have a strong interest in hematology and blood physiology, it is far too soon to think that specifically about a career in medicine.

What size community do you live in? Do you have a children's hospital nearby? Do you have a neonatal intensive care nearby? Do you have a facility that does HIV counseling and testing? Are you in a rural area that doesn't have much nearby? Knowing something about your community resources might help us direct you.

Promoting blood donation among your peer group is an unconventional volunteer activity but one that could be an interesting hook on a med school application. I would not consider it "clinical" as it does not involve patients but it is an important service to the community and helps people who are unable to help themselves (people who need blood transfusions don't always have the means to reach out to the community on their own to motivate potential donors to give). Engaging in social media campaigns to bring out donors, helping at a site on the donation day, and being involved in helping other sites (other universities?) strategize donor outreach could easily be 50 hours/yr which would be half of 2 hours per week that I think you should be putting toward community service. See how easy that is? :)

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Members don't see this ad :)
For clinical volunteering, volunteer at the closest hospital or clinic to your house 4 hours a week in ED, patient visiting, surgical clinic et cetera. Name brand means nothing here; in fact, avoid name brand volunteering like the plague because it is FLOODED with neurotic pre-meds.

I volunteer at a Blind Center. I found it much more rewarding than pushing patients out of same day surgery all day.