Volunteering ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterPIG

Pan con timba
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are good places to do volunteering hours. I have volunteered through the local hospital (50+ hours) as well as at a camp for kids with chronic diseases, Boggy Creek (100+ hours).

What other places should I volunteer at? Those two are not enough correct? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

i just wanted to say BOGGY CREEK IS SO AWESOME
why dont u go back there ..i am for the october weekends yippeee

Hi...

It's good that you put a lot of time into volunteer work; however, do not forget to enjoy yourself and please don't do it for the wrong reasons. You should find one or two volunteer activities which interest you and focus on those things. Schools will appreciate your dedication to any given organization more than the breadth of volunteer experiences. Also, this way you are able to develop strong relationships with mentors and supervisors (can you say LORs?).

Some interesting places to volunteer...

Humane Society
Free Clinics
Botanical Gardens or Arboretums
American Red Cross
Schools

Pick one that meets your interests outside of medicine as well as one within your field of study...don't neglect your other interests. Have fun.

Punchap

Members don't see this ad :)
DieselPetrolGrl said:
i just wanted to say BOGGY CREEK IS SO AWESOME
why dont u go back there ..i am for the october weekends yippeee
Which univ. are you from? Im going to Epilepsy week (aug. 12-18) and October 22-24 Hemophilia. Great place. Been there 4 times.

i am from UM
i am def going for hemophilia..its my 1st time for that
btw..epilepsy week rocks..if you see a quaint english family with sons named jack and john u must give them a hug for me - just because :)

i have mcats august 14th waaaaa i wanted to summer camp so baddd :(!

waterPIG said:
What other places should I volunteer at? Those two are not enough correct? :eek:

Not enough for what? Acceptance into medical school? All you need is some clinical experience, and you should be good. You don't need to pretend to be Mother Teresa.