Volunteering Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bridaddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of a website/list of volunteering opportunities.

I'm planning on volunteering for the American Diabetes Association, and harassing as many doctors as I can to shadow them both in rural/hospital settings, as well as going to free clinics/hospitals and seeing what I can do. Also been considering EMT.

Is there a centralizied volunteering website that has regional opportunties listed? Or maybe just something you all did that enjoyed/got a lot out of?

Any general advice for someone about to start volunteering work?

Members don't see this ad.

Bumpity Bump Bump, Bumpity Bump Bump!

Look at that thread go!

Members don't see this ad :)
DO THE EMT THING! I found that I could use it anywhere (volunteer, paid, etc). Also, the docs I shadowed seemed to trust me a little more, so I was able to participate in procedures I may not have been allowed to otherwise. You'll also be able to discover if you REALLY want to do this for the rest of your working life.

If you have an interest in health care in under-developed nations, try Cross Cultural Solutions (they have a website... just search for this name). They send volunteers all over the world to volunteer in health care. I would recommend Ghana (West Africa). It was an incredible experience that allowed me to truly understand what medicine is about, and my motivations toward this career have been overwhelming as a result.

I hope you find all your experiences enjoyable!

Great info, Thanks!

Anyone else want to share their experiences/Info?