This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I recently filled out an application to volunteer at an Emergency Department. I am really looking forward to it and am very excited. I was wondering what kind of stuff I should expect to do? They gave a bit of a list of things but for those of you that have done it, what is it like? I will be volunteering most likely about 4 hours a week. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Possibly transporting patients, bringing visitors to their patient family member, keeping people in the waiting room happy, chatting with patients, bringing specimens to the lab, cleaning stuff, etc.

It is what you make of it and can potentially be a valuable few hours per week. Seek out a variety of experiences to get to know how an ED/hospital works.

Reactions: 1 user
Possibly transporting patients, bringing visitors to their patient family member, keeping people in the waiting room happy, chatting with patients, bringing specimens to the lab, cleaning stuff, etc.

It is what you make of it and can potentially be a valuable few hours per week. Seek out a variety of experiences to get to know how an ED/hospital works.

Oh, that sounds great. Sounds like a good clinical experience. I mean four hours a week is the minimum but I think I should be able to give more... Hopefully haha. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, that sounds great. Sounds like a good clinical experience. I mean four hours a week is the minimum but I think I should be able to give more... Hopefully haha. Thank you!
Sure thing! I spent several hours per week for three years in a busy ED and emergency radiology dept. Certainly enjoyed myself and learned a lot. Your duties will vary depending on the hospital -- but hopefully decent clinical exposure. Good luck!