Volunteering on H4 Visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentadent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I would like to know if we can volunteer on an H4 Visa or not. Did anyone of you folks on that visa volunteered or know anyone who volunteered while on that visa?

Is it permissable and/or acceptable?

Thanks for your clarification!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

I would like to know if we can volunteer on an H4 Visa or not. Did anyone of you folks on that visa volunteered or know anyone who volunteered while on that visa?

Yes you can.A H4 visa is no hindrance to do volunteer service.I am sure about it but you can also confirm it with whatever organization you want to volunteer.hope that helps.

Hello All,

yes for sure u can volunteer on H4,,,i am on H4 and i did volunteer in a dental office, and it is permissable!!!

all the best

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do any kind of volunteer work, but you SHOULDNT get any kind of monetary benefit from such volunteering work. it is ILLEGAL to get paid while you are on H4 visa. But you can do volunteer work or a full time student.
yes for sure u can volunteer on H4,,,i am on H4 and i did volunteer in a dental office, and it is permissable!!!

all the best

I am currently on my H4 visa. Do I need to change my visa status to F-1 if I get into dental school or can I be on H-4 and continue going to dental school as a full-time student?

Yes, you can be a full time student and do your DDS/DMD, no need to change to F1. However F1 has some advantages:
1) You can do part time jobs and earn some money. On H4, though you can study full time, you cannot do part time jobs and make money. As I said before it is illegal to earn money on H4.
2) After DDS/DMD you can work for 1 year with OPT if you were on F1 visa. This is not possible with H4. The only way is to get H1 visa to start working as a dentist after DDS/DMD
I am currently on my H4 visa. Do I need to change my visa status to F-1 if I get into dental school or can I be on H-4 and continue going to dental school as a full-time student?