Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kramer101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When should one start to volunteer? I am an incoming freshman and really have only done about 40 hours or so in a nursing home when I was in high school. If I want to focus on studying my 1st semester freshman year (heavy course load), and start volunteering/doing EC's etc. 2nd semester, would that be alright? Or do medical schools like to see people volunteering from day one?

Members don't see this ad.

Kramer101 said:
When should one start to volunteer? I am an incoming freshman and really have only done about 40 hours or so in a nursing home when I was in high school. If I want to focus on studying my 1st semester freshman year (heavy course load), and start volunteering/doing EC's etc. 2nd semester, would that be alright? Or do medical schools like to see people volunteering from day one?

that's totally fine. the thing the med schools frown upon are the people who start volunteering spring of junior year or whatever...so it looks like you just got to that point on your checklist, realized you needed to say you volunteered and started doing it just so you could put it on your amcas.