This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Harbor has you submit a LOR and HIPPA training before they even make a decision. I haven't seen that for any other programs on VSAS that I've looked it. Makes sense in terms of slowing down the amount of apps they receive and filtering for who's serious about wanting to rotate there. Hearing that they rejected someone with a 250 makes me hesitant to even try but I have to give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also rejected from UCLA Harbor today. USMD with step score not quite as high as that....

Members don't see this ad :)
rejected from hennipin awhile ago and orlando health today. Is it worth even applying to these programs for residency haha. step only several points above yours steph.. to be fair i would have rejected both their offers. I Just want a spot in DMV area now.

What is it that makes Hennepin so popular?

It's an old well established county program with a strong reputation in EM. I used to live in Minneapolis for a while and it's also a great place in my opinion. They probably get tons of applications because they have no extra requirements in VSAS and they opened really early. Its hard to know what they are looking for in a visiting student if a 240 is considered "low" but I guess they feel like they can be picky.

Regions is close by in St. Paul and is pretty much full looking at the dates left in VSAS so they were very quick in choosing I guess. They are good but are often overshadowed by their neighbor Hennepin given its long history and reputation in EM. Regions is a pretty different type of program though since it's more of a community program and from what I hear people think county programs are generally more competitive compared to community programs.

Reactions: 2 users
rejected from hennipin awhile ago and orlando health today. Is it worth even applying to these programs for residency haha. step only several points above yours steph.. to be fair i would have rejected both their offers. I Just want a spot in DMV area now.

I'm wondering the same thing... If they wont take me for an audition because of my scores, is there a point in applying there for residency? Maybe SLOE's can overcome that, not sure.

I'm wondering the same thing... If they wont take me for an audition because of my scores, is there a point in applying there for residency? Maybe SLOE's can overcome that, not sure.

I got rejected from almost every away I applied for last year (had a good step score as well), ended up getting interviews at all but one of those programs and matched at one of the typical SDN top programs. Yes, it is definitely worth applying assuming you do well on your rotations.

Just chiming in regarding the Harbor-UCLA applications. We received the most applications ever this year for an unfortunately limited number of spots. The requirements (LOR, etc.) are imposed by the UCLA Student Affairs Office and not me - personally I wouldn't have a LOR requirement, since I think that's probably too onerous for a subinternship position. We will try to accommodate people where we can depending on strength of application but we are getting close to full. We do anticipate some wait list movement, and will be keeping in touch with applicants that we were not able to offer a spot to if/when there is availability. Decisions for the subinternship were made by a committee. I know this is a difficult process, and I wish we could take more people. As it stands we take a maximum of 10/month (UCLA students get the opportunity to fill before we can offer to visiting students). Always feel free to e-mail me if people have questions.

Still crickets over here. For those who have knowledge of past cycles, when is the most popular time for programs to respond?

Still crickets over here. For those who have knowledge of past cycles, when is the most popular time for programs to respond?

Most popular? Never. The responses you do get will likely come after each program has its own students schedules set up as they typically allow first choice to home students. Once that is clear and everyone has their schedules they schedule away students into the remaining slots. I believe mid April-May was when most of my classmates started to actually get stuff rolling last year

Reactions: 1 users
Most popular? Never.

Its really unfortunate how true this is sometimes. I seem to remember reading a post about how someone received a rejection a whole year after they had applied just because the program wanted to clear their application queue. I think VSAS is starting to have the same issue that medical school applications and ERAS applications have. It is easier than ever to send out lots of applications since its done online and so programs gets lots of apps so applicants worry about not getting accepted and then they send out even more applications.

It's worthwhile looking at some non-VSAS institutions. They get a lot less applications since most people don't know about them and so they likely have a higher acceptance rate or are better about responding. I believe UC-Riverside, Stanford, Advocate-Christ, and the University of Pennsylvania are non-VSAS programs based on my searches.

I’m sure this may have been done before on here but it would be nice to get a list of non vsas programs going. It would be helpful for us and definitely for future students.

Members don't see this ad :)
The EMRA Match App allows you to view all clerkships and filter by if they accept VSAS or not

If I am planning on doing 2 aways in addition to my home program, does it matter if the second away is in October-November? I am scheduled for my home rotation in June, and originally planned on aways in July and August. One of the programs I am interested in is full for the summer but offered a spot in October/November. Does it affect my ERAS application at all if the 3rd SLOE isn't complete until late in the year?

If I am planning on doing 2 aways in addition to my home program, does it matter if the second away is in October-November? I am scheduled for my home rotation in June, and originally planned on aways in July and August. One of the programs I am interested in is full for the summer but offered a spot in October/November. Does it affect my ERAS application at all if the 3rd SLOE isn't complete until late in the year?

If you have two SLOEs in ERAS by October 1st when the MSPE is released, you are fine. Get one other LOR that isn't a SLOE, and leave the 4th letter spot in ERAS open. Then, if you have the sense that the rotation went well, add the SLOE to your file and e-mail programs letting them know about your interest and that you have a new SLOE. If you get the sense that it didn't go well... nobody will ever know you were there, unless you told them, and won't be expecting a SLOE.

Reactions: 3 users
Western Michigan Homer Stryker as well.

Didn't apply to Carolinas so not sure.

Maimonides went out a bit ago. I haven't heard anything from the other VSAS NYC programs

I know of someone who got denied from Carolinas - I havent heard back yet though

Is it basically a waste of money at this point to be applying to programs which have been open for a while? If it's truly first come first serve, then I'd imagine there is no point to apply to a place which has been accepting apps since March?

so ill give some people some news in hopes I get some lol.
rejected from- Orlando health, Hennepin.
Anyone heard anything from- Henry ford, Georgetown, temple, VCU

Thank!

so ill give some people some news in hopes I get some lol.
rejected from- Orlando health, Hennepin.
Anyone heard anything from- Henry ford, Georgetown, temple, VCU

Thank!

Offered a rotation at UIowa but for October. Silence on everyone else.

Henry ford (detroit), Umass, and Emory are all making offers

Got a decision from Christiana today- no go because they are full

Anyone heard back from Irvine yet?

Found out UNC is full today, and duke is also making offers according to a classmate.