VSAS electives vs. SubI for audition season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Phe0chroma

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there - just got a VSAS offer for an elective at a place I am dying to get an interview. Unfortunately I applied to all the subinternships at the hospital but was granted an elective instead (my last preference). Is it still worth taking the elective? I’ve been told I won’t have the opportunity to really show my skills at all in outpatient and subIs are really what’s worth your time during audition season. At the same time, idk how it will be interpreted that I declined the elective they offered me if I really want to interview there. Thoughts?? Thanks!
 
Hi there - just got a VSAS offer for an elective at a place I am dying to get an interview. Unfortunately I applied to all the subinternships at the hospital but was granted an elective instead (my last preference). Is it still worth taking the elective? I’ve been told I won’t have the opportunity to really show my skills at all in outpatient and subIs are really what’s worth your time during audition season. At the same time, idk how it will be interpreted that I declined the elective they offered me if I really want to interview there. Thoughts?? Thanks!

What's the specialty?
 
It's probably better to be there than not to be there at all. Ask if there's any way for you to switch to sub-I even mid-rotation. If not possible, then make it a point to contact the PD to try to set up some face time.